Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychologists from across India. You will find Psychologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Aparna RamchandranYour feedback matters!
We are all emotional beings and often have our good and bad days. However, we are all wired differently, making our minds work in unique ways. Reasons that make a person feel low are different for different people; what may be depressing for one person may not be depressing for the other. The degree of sadness can also vary from person to person.
Depression, with a feeling of complete hopelessness and despair, is a mood disorder that is becoming increasingly common. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with depression than men. Depressed people describe life as impending doom (a feeling that something terrible is about to happen). They are often consumed with the feeling of living in a black hole not knowing what the future holds, and feelings of lifelessness, emptiness, anger, and restlessness.
Some of the telltale signs of depression are listed below:
- Feeling of hopelessness and helplessness
- Lack of concentration
- Easily irritated, bothered, or angered
- Inability to control negative thoughts
- Losing interest in activities that you once enjoyed
- Reckless behaviour, which was not noticed earlier
- Change in sleeping and eating patterns
- Difficulty in performing tasks that you once accomplished easily
- Worsening alcohol and cigarette consumption
Here are some of the reasons why people feel depressed:
- Problems in marriage or relationships
- Financial issues
- Chronic health issues
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Recent life events that were stressful
- Lack of social support
- Loneliness and isolation
- Early childhood trauma or abuse
- Managing depression
Accepting that you are depressed is a big step, which helps in managing it better.
- Speak out: The most important thing is to find a person whom you can confide in. A trained person or a good confidante can help you by just listening to you.In most cases, depression can be managed by seeing a qualified counsellor. Medications may also be useful in some cases.
- Sweat it out: While it may sound very tiring, exercising for even 15 minutes can bring relief. The more you exercise, the better you are bound to feel. Exercise also releases mood-enhancing chemicals that beat depression.
- Eat right: Foods with omega-3 fatty acids can help improve one’s mood while foods with sugar and refined carbs can have a negative impact on one’s mood. Change your diet to include mood elevating foods. Binging on junk food is common among depressed people, leading to weight gain and other complications.
So, while you may feel like you are in a black hole, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.