Lybrate.com has top trusted Neurologists from across India. You will find Neurologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Anitha VikramYour feedback matters!
Nerve pain or peripheral neuropathy, as it is medically known, is characterized by pain, numbness and weakness that arise out of nerve damage. This pain is usually restricted to the feet and the hands.
What are the common causes?
Diabetes is the most common cause for this condition. However, other causes, such as injuries, infections and prolonged exposure to certain toxins can also trigger nerve pain.
How can you control nerve pain?
Nerve pain can be managed and taken care of at home taking into consideration the points that have been mentioned below:
- Topical Painkillers: Certain over the counter ointments and creams can help relieve nerve pain. These medications act as local anesthetics; that is they numb the area of the pain. Capsaicin, a derivative of chili peppers, is one of the major ingredients used in these medicines. Others use botanical oils as the major ingredients.
- Painkillers: There are painkillers available OTC which can curb nerve pain. However, painkillers such as ibuprofen, aspirin and acetaminophen do not really work well for severe pain of the nerves.
- Supplements: The lack of Vitamin B12 is considered to be a very important cause, and at times, a catalyst for nerve pain. In a case such as this, Vitamin B12 supplements or injections might be administered. Although more research needs to go into this, but certain supplements, especially gamma-linolenic and alpha-lipoic acid can help soothe nerve pain caused by diabetes.
- Acupuncture: This time honored Chinese approach is a proven alleviator of nerve pain. Acupuncture releases chemicals which numb the pain, or prevent the pain signals from travelling to the brain.
- Physical Therapy and Massages: Physical Therapy can especially heal and strengthen weak muscles that can stem from acute nerve damage and pain. Though more evidence is needed, according to a few sufferers of this condition, massages can be helpful with the tremendously painful muscle spasms that can so often result from nerve pain.
- Relaxation Techniques: In combination with the above mentioned approaches, relaxation techniques can go a long way in relieving debilitating neural pain. Besides being helpful with dealing and reducing a few stress phases of life which can cause nerve pain, these techniques might actually root out the actual pain itself.
- Lifestyle Modifications: This one’s always a winner! Eating a well-balanced diet that guarantees all nutrients in uniform amounts can never go wrong. Regular exercises for about 30-45 minutes can remedy different types of pain; nerve pain being one of them. Try and limit alcohol intake (a peg once a week won’t harm one, but binge drinking can play the ultimate spoilsport and make all health plans go topsy-turvy!). Abstain from smoking or chewing tobacco as this is usually the primary contributor towards any medical condition or disorder.
- Interventional pain therapy: It is newer mode of pain therapy for many neuropathic pain conditions, where regular pain therapies don't work. It is done in operation theater under fleuroscopy guidance as per MRI or other investigation report with clinical examination.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
Whenever I study late night and go to bed, I hallucinate as if my whole body is paralysed. I can't move my hands or leg except restricted movement of head, I can't speak anything. Only thing I can do is wait for some time then it vanishes. This happens frequently when my brain is tired after study and then I went to sleep.
I got 3 children. The eldest daughter is suffered with fits during her childhood and become 50% mentally retarded. Other two are above normal in intelligence. Doctors says that she is behind 10 years of actual age. My question is how her condition will be cured?
My nephew aged 11 years, has seizure since last month. Doctors diagnosed it epilepsy. We started medicines but seizures occurs on every 2 & 3 days. Mostly during seizure his eyes goes upward and his body has vibrates as electric shocks. Once after seizure his body shocked many times. We asked him what is this. He said my nerves are jaults from inside. We want to know is it epilepsy or not. What should we do at the time of seizures. Eagerly waiting for your reply. At this time he is taking 2 medicines named valparin 200 & levecitram. Thanks.
I am 28 years old man. My height is 5'6' and weight is 60 kg. My bp is low and sugar is normal. Three years ago my hand had cut down in knife huge blood flow. Suddenly I felt senseless. In recent's 3 years when feel some pain and outcome blood in my bodies. I lose my sense. I visited neurologist and cardiologist they suggested me few test which is eeg, ecg, and mri, these test are normal. Then I appoint to psychologist he provide me one medicine zaptra 25. Still now I continue this medicine. I feel this not cure it. So what can I do please suggest.?
I am 31 year female. I have female type of baldness. Now I was going under treatment to recover my hairs (6 months). My doctor suggests me for prp. I had old history of epilepsy (20 years). I took medicine nearly 15 years. Last 5 years I was not taking any medicine. Is it good to go prp treatment?
Mera mathe ke andar dard rahta hai mathe ki skin. Utarne lgi hai. Chahare or mathe me black ho gai hai. Dard ita rahta hath bhi ni lga pa rahi hu. Chahara ki skin Puri Kali pad gai hai.
I am 18 yrs old and am suffering from migraine since past 3 yrs, I couldnt study and hang out due to this problem. Is ther any solution to get completely rid from this chronic migraine? If yes please do help me!
Having problems with her unconscious while having work load or if she heard death new of any person or have seen accident for that time she is facing problem with unconscious (behosh) nd both upper nd lower tooth fully stick like can't be open mouth for some tym.
She is having parkinson. She feels like her brain is very tired and weak. What she should take along with parkinson's medicines to supplement brain?
I am working as a medical rep in pharma I am having numbness in my hand & feet from last 1 year, even I am not diabetic , not hypertensive Is this due to hypovitaminosis or other reason or lack of exercise Kindly suggest me suitable medicine.
Hi my uncle 42 years old had a traumatic brain injury on 28oct he is fine neurologically but has developed ARDS and VAP (ventilator associated pneumonia. Please tell me will he survive? And what treatment is to be done.
Hello. I am having problem with head. I have some times severe headache. Sometimes I feel very unconscious. Also I have low eye sight. Some symptoms like migraine. What can I do.
Short course radiation therapy is the one of the most talked about subject in recent years and also a fascinating research zone. Hypofractionated radiation therapy is an old concept, but only in recent years with tremendous improvement in radiation therapy delivery technologies there is a significant visible surge in it’s applicability in clinical practice. Modern radiation therapy technology is capable of delivering high dose to the target while sparing majority of the adjacent critical structures. Hence, it is possible to deliver short course of treatment regimen with higher dose per fraction without increasing in toxicity. In brain tumours, radiosurgery with gamma-knife is considered standard of care in many of the clinical indications such as small meningiomas, acaustic schwannomas, residual low grade gliomas, AVMs and solitary/ oligo brain metastasis. Gamma-knife radiosurgery is in clinical practice for more than five decades.
There are several prospective and randomized studies (level I evidence) with long-term follow up data supporting the use of radiosurgery in these clinical indications. Other indications of radiosurgery are pituitary tumour, craniopharyngiomas, glomus tumours, chordomas and others. Robotic radiosurgery (CyberKnife®) is precision radiosurgery delivery system and an extension of gamma-knife system. CyberKnife uses the principle of gamma-knife, but with linear accelerator source instead of multiple cobalt sources. CyberKnife is capable to treating all tumours indicated for gamma-knife with similar accuracy.
This modern tool has some additional advantages from gamma-knife, such as
1) CyberKnife can use fractionated treatment, hence relatively larger tumours can be treated.
2) Require only thermoplastic mask, no need for invasive frame.
3) Has inverse planning system, can spare critical structure.
4) There is a ‘intra-fraction’ correction technology with imaging.
5) There is no need to change the source, hence may be more cost effective.
6) Can be used to treat extra-cranial tumours also. CyberKnife has a linear accelerator attached with a robot and is capable of treatment from various coplanar and non-coplanar field arrangements. CyberKnife has sub-millimeter accuracy and unmatched dose distribution.
The advanced technology behind CyberKnife uses image guidance technology and computer-controlled robotics to deliver and extremely precise dose of radiation to targets, avoiding the surrounding healthy tissue, and adjusting for patient and tumor movement during treatment. In conclusion, CyberKnife is an extension of gammaknife radiosurgery delivery system. This machine has immense promise to treat with short course regimens with high dose and improve local control without increasing toxicities. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Oncologist.