Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Amit ShahYour feedback matters!
According to contemporary medical studies, loss of sexual desire is more common in women than in men. As many as 3 in 10 women have reduced or limited sexual interest in any kind of sexual activity. While the medical term for this problem is Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD), it is generally understood as a loss of libido.
There are multiple factors that contribute to this problem including psychiatric or physical disorders, relationship issues, hormonal disorders etc. Let us look at the causes of this disorder at length:
1. Medical Disorders:
a) There are conditions such as endometriosis, fibroids and thyroid disorders that may have a negative impact on the sexual drive of a woman.
b) Certain medicines such as antidepressants, oral contraceptives, and medicines that lower blood pressure may also negatively impact the sexual drive in women.
2. Hormonal Disorders:
a) Dryness of the vagina and pain during sexual intercourse may affect sexual drive both mentally and physically.
b) After menopause, drop in the count of testosterone hormone also affects sexual drive which can result in loss of libido.
c) With advancing age, the level of androgens decrease, and hence results in a lack of sexual desire.
3. Lifestyle Disorders:
a) In some of the cases, lack of emotional support in a relationship plays a significant role in the loss of libido. Post baby 'coolness' may also act as a driving force for loss in libido.
b) In today's era, changing lifestyle is drastically affecting our lives. Following an unhealthy lifestyle may result in increased weight that may affect self-image, and indirectly may also affect the sexual desire.
c) Stress and job, family pressure and exhaustion may also influence sexual desire of a woman.
4. Psychological factors
a) Increasing cases of depression, anxiety, frustration, stress is also an important cause of loss of libido in the contemporary society.
b) After childbirth, new moms tend to suffer from lack of sleep, insufficient lubrication of the vagina and exhaustion, which may affect her sexual desire.
The first and foremost step towards dealing with it is to make your partner understand your problem. Then, it is important to consult a doctor to find out the underlying cause, thereafter, treatment of the cause can normalize the condition. Since there are multiple causes of the problem, there are different ways by which the loss of libido can be easily managed and treated. Some of them are discussed below:
1. Treatment of Hormonal Disorders: The doctors will suitably treat problems like thyroids or recommend surgical treatment for fibroids to manage HSSD.
2. Change in Medications: Since some of the medications are responsible for the lack of libido, the doctors will replace the medications to reverse this lack.
3. Addressing the psychological factors: Your doctor will either arrange for suitable psychiatric sessions or ask your partner to coordinate mutually.
4. Sex Therapy/Relationship Counseling or Testosterone Therapy: While sex therapy or relationship counseling brings back the interest by effectively counseling the individual, Testosterone therapy involves off-label usage of testosterone hormone since it is not recommended by FDA.
Proper treatment and consulting a medical expert can reverse this disorder efficiently. So, talk about the problem more openly to seek proper guidance and cure. You can also submit your queries or seek for our advice in detail by writing to us.
Related Tip: 7 Libido Boosting Foods?
I have done intercourse with protection on 21st day after period with my wife. I am sure that condom got tear out. Now we fear that it will result in conception. I have one baby and do not want unplanned baby now. Pls suggest what to do. Can I take deviry tablet to avoid pregnancy. Pls suggest dose.
Mai 25 year ki hu muje diabetes 11 sal ki thi tab se hai. Meri shadi ho chuki hai. Future Mai muje iss ki wajah se koi problem ho sakte hai? Muje pragnancy Mai koi problem hogi? Baby ko diabetes aane ke kitne chances hai? Mai normal married sexlife ji sakti hu? Please advise me.
I am 19 yrs old female and I am not having periods this month as I am having sexual relation. I have done urine test and ultrasound of lower abdomin both were showing negative result. And I have also taken I pill after having sex. So I want to ask that why I am not having periods this month?
As my periods were over today I have sex next day. We have done all sex outside so is there are chances of pregnancy.
I am 33 yrs old female suffering from many problems like wait gained, hair loss, patch on scalp, unwanted hair growth on chin nd face, trying to get conceive from last 3 yrs.
I'm unmarried milk like liquid tiny drops is coming from my breast I don't have pain when I touch the breast and move and not even my nipples but sometimes I feel uneasy in my breast.
I am 19 year old. I get headaches n feel low oftenly. My menstrual cycle is also irregular and not maintained. What should I do.
Hello doctor yadi hum apne mensuration k fifth day and other day without protection sex karte hai to hum pregent nahi hote kya. Ovaluation time k pahale yadi sex karte hai to kya pregency ka koi chance nahi kya.
Hi doctor I'm married my wife says her breasts are aching she don't allow me to touch it or feel it even does not allow to take it in my mouth, may I know the reason? What should b done!
I am 37 weeks 4 days pregnant. 2 weeks back I was diagnosed with iugr. But now my reports shows everything is normal. My baby is growing well. I just want to know does the effect of iugr will remain in my baby after birth. I am worried. Please suggest.
Boil neem leaves then strain it add turmeric and honey to it then drink this tea. Will it helps to reduce breast size. If not then please suggest any natural way to reduce breast size as my gf is feeling very embarrassed by her big breast size .as I can't resist myself to suck and press her breast so its increased and me to also feel bad for it please suggest some effective ways.
I am 20 years old and I have irregular periods. My last period was 9th July (first day). I had sex with my boyfriend on 18 July. He ejaculated for 2 mins. The sperm discharge was outside of my vagina. I have taken ipill within 10 hours for safety and after six days later there was bleeding like periods but painless. Till now my periods not there. I am two months late. Now there is white vaginal discharge. Sometimes I feel like periods have com but when I see there is only discharge. I am so much worried. Am I pregnant? Is this kind of vaginal discharge normal? Plzz doctor help me. Plzz suggest me what to do. Plzz.
1. Go for a walk - If you live close to your workplace then quit taking your two or four wheeler to work. Better still, even a public transport is a strict NO. Either ride a bicycle or simply choose to walk down the lane. While at work, avoid sitting for consecutive hours at your workstation. Take a break and walk in your office complex after lunch with friends. When at home, avoid being a couch potato. Head for an early morning walk to the nearby park. You may even take a leisure-walk in your garden area or in the street nearby post dinner. Walking is indeed the easiest way to stay fit!
2. Replace the elevator with stairs - Use the stairs instead of the elevator. You don’t waste any time and you don't have to go out of your way to work on your health! At places with escalators, walk up the stairs it's no harm. It's easy and can be done daily.
3. Simple Exercises - Spending a lot of time in front of the television or desktop? Why not utilize it with some stretching exercises. While you're at home do some yoga, stretching or sit ups and during your office hours, simply do some eyes, legs, wrist and neck rotation exercises. This way, you will keep yourself distracted and at ease.
4. Use music as a stress buster – Music keeps your brain relaxed making you more energetic and lively. Have some fun while doing your daily chores at home and work. Play some peppy music and dance to those tunes. Not only will your mood be elated but this will also help you burn some extra calories. While at work, its best to put on your headphones and bid work-load stress goodbye. This will calm your nerves and will help you focus better!
5. Don't outsource house work - You can start doing more of high energy things like washing your car, getting a cup of coffee/tea from the office cafeteria, digging the garden or reorganizing the closet to include physical activity in your lifestyle! Usually you have someone to help you with these little home and office chores. However, if you chalk out some time and do these simple things, not only will you save on money but also add a really healthy practice in your schedule.
Now that you have these smart tips, include them in your lifestyle and prepare for a better and healthier future!
Dr Jayesh Pavra. (M D Medicine)