Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Alka Dilip SalunkeYour feedback matters!
Cotton swabs or cotton buds, are commonly used in our daily lifestyle. Many people use it for various purposes, such as make-up, bacterial culture, and most commonly for extracting wax and debris from the ear. Even though they are sometimes handy in our busy schedule, they usually cause much more harm than benefits.
How are they misused?
Cotton buds are toothpick like pieces made of wood, plastic, or rolled paper, which have cotton stuck at both ends with a roundish edge. It came into existence during the 1920s for a safe purpose of ear cleaning by Leo Gerstenzang, when he saw his wife cleaning their baby’s ear with a toothpick. And, til now they are used by the general population for ear cleaning, but these hardly remove the outer debris which is stuck near the outer edges. Impressing it inside the ear canal only does further damage, by forcing the inner wax further inside. Sometimes extensive force also causes damage to the ear drums.
How does it cause the damage?
Applying a tool like the cotton bud inside the ear with hands usually creates a force that impresses upon the eardrum, also accumulating the surrounding earwax to that area, resulting in impaction of the wax. The force applied most often, if not always, causes a damage to the ear drums, which might cause severe pain, also leading to leakage, causing improper balance, deafness, and certain similar abnormalities.
Although we are worried about cleaning our ears, it doesn’t really require our notice, since our usual showers allow an adequate quantity of water to enter the ears and clean the accumulated debris automatically. The structure, in which our ear canal is designed, is usually naturally assisting in cleaning up the unusual wax around the ear.
If there is an uncontrollable build up of earwax that is not cleaned off normally, you can always consult an ENT or any general physician and get it cleaned under medical surveillance, which is best advised.
Doctors and medical practitioners all around the world have been trying to spread the message of preventing the use of cotton buds for ear cleaning. It is important that the message reach the greater part of the population. Spread it to your family, your closest friends, their friends, and as further, you can reach!
Hello, I am pregnant (9 month). Dr. Will check vaginal infection if it then will be normal delivery? Doctor is Saying have chances of operation. It's my second delivery. First was normal.
Why and how c-section is better than normal delivery for women?
Pregnant women can opt for one of the two ways to deliver their babies: they can either have a normal/vaginal delivery or a surgical delivery by having a c-section. In many cases, the choice of having a c-section is planned due to certain medical reasons that make having a normal delivery risky. A pregnant female may know in advance that she will require a c-section and can schedule it as she may be carrying twins or multiple babies, or she may be suffering from a medical condition such as high blood pressure or diabetes, an infection such as hiv or herpes that may complicate pregnancy or there may be placental problems during pregnancy.
A c-section also becomes a necessity in situations such as where the mother has a small pelvis and the baby is very large or when the baby is in heads up position and efforts to turn the position of the baby before delivery have not been successful.
In some cases the decision to do a c-section is unplanned and taken by the obstetrician due to certain emergency reasons such as problems during pregnancy or if the labour is happening too slowly or if the baby is not receiving enough oxygen.
Some of the c-sections are considered to be elective and may be requested by the female for reasons that are non-medical before she goes into labour. A female may choose to get a c-section if she wants to plan her delivery or if she had a vaginal delivery that was complicated previously.
Why c-section is better than normal delivery for women?
During a normal delivery, there is a higher risk that the tissues and skin around the vagina stretch and tear when the baby passes through the birth canal. If this stretching and tearing is severe, it may require stitches. This may ultimately lead to weakness or injury to the muscles of the pelvis that control bowel and urine function.
According to some studies, it has been found that females who have had normal/vaginal deliveries are more prone to develop urinary or bowel incontinence (leakage of urine and stool respectively) than females who have had c-sections. They are also more at risk of developing leakage of urine during sneezing, coughing or laughing.
After a normal delivery, a female may also develop a lingering or continuous pain in the perineum-the region between the vagina and anus.
According to a study published in the new england journal of medicine, the rates of bleeding into the brain of the baby was higher during vacuum extraction and forceps delivery (two methods of using assistive devices during normal deliver) than during c-section.
When we do sex my girlfriend still feel pain during sex but we do it many times but pain is still there during sex. Please advise.
Hii sir/mam. My age is 26. Married 2 years ago. We are planning for children since 6months. There is no dyspareunia bt im unable to tolerate tvs and cervical examination.. My right ovary volume is 11cc they told rtpcod and tight introitus. Im worrying about my health nd about pregnancy please help me please.
Dear Dr. Its about my friend her period finished before two days and I have sex with her and some of cum fallen in her vagina. I scarred about this now she feel little bit of pain in her under abdomen. What is this is there any risk of pregnancy, how we confirm that. Pls help.
I am 19 years old and newly married on 30 April 2016 and I am in periods today is 2nd day and I want to do sex with husband can I? Will there be any problem related to pregnancy if we do sex? please response n advice?
Christmas would be incomplete without a delicious Christmas plum cake. This lovely cake is rich in fresh and dried fruits and is soaked in brandy or orange liquor. Preparations for this cake often start a month before Christmas as the fruits are cut and soaked in alcohol until it is time to bake them. Here are 8 fascinating facts about this Christmas cake.
- It has a really long shelf life: Christmas cake or fruitcake can last for months and years. This may be because of the alcohol content in the cake. Many families keep aside a part of the Christmas cake to be eaten during Easter. The longevity of this cake is also why it is the perfect packed food for hunters and travellers.
- It is packed with energy: Christmas cake has a high ratio of fruits to flour and hence is packed with nutrients. On the flip side, this isn’t a cake you want to snack on as it can also increase your waistline.
- Naturally dried fruits are the key to a good Christmas cake: Christmas cake is said to be an acquired taste. However, the key to make a good Christmas cake is to avoid glazed and candied fruits and instead use naturally sweetened and dried fruits. This makes the cake healthier and much more wholesome.
- You can put any fruit into Christmas cake: Christmas fruit cake is an all inclusive cake. A Christmas cake can be made with fresh fruits, dried fruits or a mixture of the two. However, fresh fruit cake has a shorter life span than dried fruit cake.
- It gets better with time: Like wine, Christmas cake ages and tastes better with time. Christmas cake can also be revived, if it has dried out. For this, all you have to do is, steam the cake and drizzle a little more alcohol over it.
- It is a very old recipe: Christmas cake is said to date back to the Roman empire. The Romans used a mixture of pine nuts, barley, raisins, sweetened wine and pomegranate seeds to make a version of the Christmas cake known as satura. However, it was only in the 16th century that it gained popularity.
- The origins of Christmas cake lies in a meat pie: Christmas cake has evolved from the plum pudding. This plum pudding was originally a pie of mixed minced meats and fruits. With time, the meat was removed and only the fruits remained. Later, spice and dried fruits were added to the recipe to give us a modern day Christmas cake.
- Christmas cake was traditionally not eaten on Christmas day: Christmas cake was originally eaten on the twelfth day of Christmas. For this reason, it was also known as the twelfth night cake.