Lybrate.com has top trusted Urologists from across India. You will find Urologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Urologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Abhijit Gokhale
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of H.I.V
Hydrocele Treatment (Surgical)
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Urology Minimally Invasive Surgery
Kidney Transplant Treatment
Blood In Urine (Hematuria) Treatment
Reconstructive Surgery Procedures
Transurethral Resection Of The Prostate (Turp) Pro
Reconstructive Urology Surgery
Minimally Invasive Urology Surgery
Transurethral Incision Of The Prostate (Tuip) Proc
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Procedure
Open Prostatectomy Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Abhijit GokhaleYour feedback matters!
The kidney is a vital organ that regulates the levels of fluids, minerals, salts, and other such substances in our body and when this balance gets disrupted, it results in the formation of Kidney stones. This problem is medically known as Nephrolithiasis and can cause pain when the stone moves about the urinary tract.
Types of Kidney Stones
There are several types of kidney stones and knowing the same can help in determining the cause and offer a valuable insight into how to get rid of them. The common variants of kidney stones are:
- Calcium stones- This is the most common type of kidney stones which are usually found in the form of calcium oxalate. It is a natural substance available in foods and also produced daily by the liver. Certain fruits, nuts, vegetables, and chocolate have high oxalate content. High doses of vitamin D, metabolic disorders, and intestinal bypass surgery can increase the concentration in the urine.
- Struvite stones- This type of kidney stones form in response to infection, and they can grow fast and become large in size within a short span of time with few or no symptoms.
- Cysteine stones- When a person has a hereditary disorder causing the kidneys to give out too much of amino acids or cystinuria, then cysteine stones start forming.
- Uric acid stones- When a person does not drink enough amount of water or lose too much fluid or eat a high amount of protein on a regular basis then he or she may have uric acid stones.
Causes and Risk Factors
Kidney stones tend to have no definite or a particular cause even though numerous risk factors can surge the risks. Kidney stones are formed when the urine contains an excessive amount of crystal-forming substances including uric acid, oxalate, and calcium. Also, when urine lacks the crucial substances which may prevent the crystals from sticking together, the formation of kidney stones can occur.
A person with a family history of this problem is likely to have kidney stones. Other risk factors include dehydration, certain diets, obesity, digestive diseases, surgeries, and other medical conditions such as renal tubular acidosis, cystinuria, and hyperparathyroidism.
Lifestyle changes recommended to improve the situation
Lifestyle changes can indeed dramatically reduce the occurrence of kidney stones.
- Drinking more fluids can reduce the recurrence of stones by 40% and risk is reduced by 80%. Also, the urinary system is healthy and is flushed out of toxic chemicals.
- Follow a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce salt, sugar, and animal protein.
- Limit the consumption of foods with high oxalate content. If you have calcium oxalate stones restrict foods rich in oxalates like beets, okra, spinach, sweet potatoes, nuts, tea, chocolate, black pepper and soy products.
How Homoeopathy is beneficial to break down Kidney stones?
Although Kidney stones are considered a case of surgery, but with Homoeopathic medicines we can break down and dissolve Kidney stones and help to pass the dissolved stone without surgical intervention. Not only does Homoeopathy treat Kidney stones, it also has shown remarkable results in treating the recurrent tendency towards formation of kidney stones. Homoeopathic medicines beneficial to treat kidney stones are: Lycopodium, Berberis.vulgaris, Sarsaparilla, Cantharis and Hydrangea to name a few. These medicines should be taken under the guidance of a qualified Homoeopath.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Often, early stages of kidney diseases do not come with specific signs and symptoms and most people will remain unaware of their condition. However, certain symptoms may be perceived that may indicate that a person is suffering from early stages of kidney failure. When you are diagnosed with kidney failure (also known as renal failure) in the initial stages, certain measures can be taken to retard the progression of the renal disease. This can also help reverse the condition and improve the quality of life of the patient. On the basis of a typical cause, the symptoms of kidney failure are grouped into specific categories that are given below. If you notice any of the specified renal failure symptoms, it is recommended to immediately fix up an appointment with your doctor and get your diagnostic tests done.
Symptoms of Renal Failure from the accumulation of waste products in the body:
- Metallic taste in mouth
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Facing difficulty in concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Aversion towards meat (protein aversion)
- Itching or pruritus
Symptoms of Renal Failure from the accumulation of fluid in the body:
- Dyspnoea or shortness of breath (this happens due to the accumulation of fluid in the lungs).
- Swelling is seen in the feet, hands or face.
Symptoms of Kidney Failure from damage to the kidneys:
- The amount of urine production changes, though it is not a reliable sign Haematuria or blood in the urine (usually in microscopic quantity).
- Frothiness or foam in the urine (usually happens when protein is present in the urine).
Symptoms of Kidney Failure due to decreased blood production (anemia):
- Dyspnoea or shortness of breath.
- Fatigue Weakness.
- Confusion If you happen to feel cold all the time.
The following diagnostic tests will be performed by your doctor in order to determine whether the symptoms are the manifestation of a kidney failure or not:
- Urine analysis - In this test, a sample of your urine is tested to find traces of blood, white blood cells or proteins which may indicate a problem in kidney function.
- Blood Tests - This includes tests for BUN and creatinine in the blood which are usually removed from the blood if the kidneys function properly.
Actions must be taken when you show signs and symptoms of kidney failure:
It is common that the symptoms of early renal failure are not always prominent, but if any of the above symptoms are witnessed, it is recommended to consult a physician to determine whether they are caused by a kidney disease. You can pen-down the symptoms that you feel are related and bring it to the doctor when you fix up the next appointment. It is essential to know about your disease at the earliest as it will give you time and the ease of taking measures to retard the damage process and will decrease or delay the probability of undergoing dialysis or kidney transplant. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Nephrologist.