Submit a review for VedantYour feedback matters!
Whooping cough lasts up to 10 weeks, makes you vomit, and can even be fatal. True or False? Take this quiz to find out.
1. Whooping cough or pertussis could become serious and can even be fatal.
Answer - A: True
While whooping cough may be painful and last for a long time in adults, it rarely becomes fatal. However, in infants and children less than a year old, it can be fatal. If you think your child is suffering from whooping cough, you will need to take action to reduce its effects. Aloe Vera is one of the most effective ayurvedic remedies in this case. Mix equal parts of Aloe Vera juice and honey to make a mixture. Take a teaspoonful of this mixture and have it twice daily to reduce the symptoms and also fight the infection.
2. Which amongst the following oils is a great remedy for whooping cough in Ayurveda?
Answer – D: Almond oil
Almonds, apart from being a great source of varied nutrition, are also a potent weapon in fighting cholesterol. Almonds also have many other properties that can help with fighting infections. These can be useful in treating the symptoms of whooping cough. Mix 10 drops of onion juice and 10 drops of garlic juice with 5 drops of almond oil. Take this mixture three times daily for a few days and you should see results quickly.
3. Whooping cough is a viral infection.
Answer - B: False
Whooping cough is actually a bacterial infection caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis. It usually spreads through droplets in the air from an infected person to an uninfected person. It can also spread by touching surfaces where the infected droplets fall. Cough can be quite extreme and painful not only in children but among adults as well. Drink honey mixed with boiling water as a beverage akin to tea. This is a great ayurvedic remedy to soothe the symptoms, especially if you have a very sore throat. It also helps to cure whooping cough quicker.
4. One of the common symptoms of whooping cough among the following is:
A & B
None of the above
Answer – C: A & B
Whooping cough is especially dangerous because when you start coughing, it puts so much stress on your body that you may end up vomiting or even fainting. Garlic is a great ayurvedic remedy that can help reduce the symptoms of whooping cough. It contains ‘allicin’ which has superb antibacterial properties. Make a paste by crushing a few cloves of garlic. Filter this through a sieve and get the juice extracted. Drink a teaspoonful of this juice thrice every day and you should see remarkable results quickly.
5. If no action is taken, whooping cough may last up to 10 weeks.
Answer - A: True
Whooping cough is also sometimes referred to as the 100-day cough as it can last for up to 10 weeks. This can be a really painful time for the patient. Known as ‘Dushta Kasa’ in Ayurveda, there are many effective remedies that can counter it and cure it much quicker. Remedies include castor oil mixed with milk, ginger and honey mixes among others. The best thing is to consult an Ayurveda Practitioner for proper and exact remedies tailor made for your condition.
After missing the period. We gone for urine pregnancy test but result is Negative. What could be the reason. Consumption of folic acid will be fine na. We are planning for baby.
I'm 30 years old. Married for 7 months. My periods are regular. We are planning for a baby. But I'm not conceiving. Please guide us.
I am trying to conceive since 1 yr. My husband stays out. Last month I had almost skipped my periods fr 28 days. But on 29th I got my periods. Is it a good sign or I need to consult a doc. I never skipped so long. I am not taking any pills other than thyronorm 25 mg. Pls help.
I am having cough and sputum discharge (sometimes frothy discoloured and sometimes yellow) for a week now. I also felt feverish, pain in the throat, and fatigued. What should be done?
Hello. I recently got married and we are trying to conceive ever since. I missed my period and its been 5 days since. We did a home pregnancy urine test with VELOCIT with the first urine of the morning. However the device showed as negative. What should I do. Should I get a blood test done to determine pregnancy?
Hello Dr. my cycle is for 30 days so when will be the better chances to conceive in a month my last menstrual date is 23 March we are planning to get conceived since 11 months I had so many medicines for pregnancy my Dr. gave me so many medicines like dhuphastoh, sugest,clomiphine. I also had to follicular monitoring done with HCG injection now my Dr. prescribed me to do HSG test before that she's giving me ubiphene tab for 5 days so plzz Dr. suggest me how much HSG procedure is painful should I go with anesthesia or not and please also suggest me when to have intercourse my husband sperm count is good but his stamina is not good what to do?
Hi Benefits of saffron mixed with milk to drink and it helps for cold and cough and it's heat or cold to body.
Indian diet plan for mother after cesarean delivery is made after considering the following points. The menu for a mother after a c-section is planned after taking in to consideration the needs of the mother and the child. The meals should consist of the following nutrients
Eating a protein rich diet is a great way of healing the tissues and it is very important for the healthy growth of your baby. Proteins also help in maintaining the muscles after the surgery. Eggs supply zinc and proteins to your body. Fish is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are very beneficial for your health.
Sources of protein – include foods such as eggs, chicken, fish and meats if you are a non-vegetarian. Vegetarians should eat dairy foods like milk and cheese, dried beans, peas, and nuts
Vitamins should be taken in sufficient quantity since they contain lot of antioxidants which help in repairing tissues. It also helps in producing collagen in the body which helps to build new scar tissues, tendons and skin.
Sources of vitamins- eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin c, such as melons, oranges, papayas, strawberries, grapefruits, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and broccoli.
The mother loses a lot of blood during and after childbirth and thus the iron reserve in the body needs to be replenished. Lack of iron can make you weak and lethargic. Eat foods that are rich in iron. Take care not to eat excess quantities of iron since it can lead to constipation.
Sources of iron – include walnuts, red meat, oysters, dry fruits, figs, beef liver and dried beans.
Calcium helps in relaxing the muscles, promoting bone and teeth health, in blood coagulation and in preventing osteoporosis. Milk should be had sparingly since it is a very good source of calcium and facilitates the production of milk for the baby. Yogurt is another way to supply calcium to your body. Yogurt also contains zinc and the most advantageous thing about it is that it can be consumed with a variety of dishes.
Sources of calcium – the mother should include milk, cheese, yoghurt, spinach, kale and tofu to supplement the intake of calcium.
Fiber is required so that you do not suffer from constipation. Constipation can put undue pressure on the wounds. Fibrous fruits are not only very nutritious, but they also help to avoid constipation.
Sources of fiber – eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits as salad in order to add roughage to your diet.
Water and fluids:
Breastfeeding can make you exhausted and thirsty. The mother should take plenty of fluids in order to ease bowel movements and to produce sufficient quantity of milk for the little one. You can drink low-fat milk since it is easier to digest. Take special care to avoid caffeine. Caffeinated drinks include cold drinks, coffee, energy drinks, tea, carbonated drinks.
Sources of fluids – Non-citrus fruit juices, soups, coconut water, herbal teas and buttermilk. Green teas are allowed too if you consume the decaffeinated ones.
Foods that increase milk production in lactating mother:
Garlic (lehsun), fenugreek leaves and seeds (methi), fennel seeds (saunf), cumin seeds (jeera), sesame seeds (til), almonds (badaam), bottlegourd (lauki), ridge gourd (torui), spinach (palak), orange lentils (masoor dal), oats and daliya.
Foods to avoid after c-section:
- The activity level is low after delivery since you are advised to rest. Avoid all fatty foods and junk foods. These will only add on to the weight. Avoid eating spicy foods since they can cause gastric trouble. Your baby might also get the flavor in his milk.
- Citrus juices and carbonated drinks should be kept at bay since they can cause flatulence and gas.
- Caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee should be taken in moderation only since these are diuretics. These drinks are high in caffeine and can cause problems in your baby’s growth.
- It is better to stay away from alcohol as it can impair the mother’s ability to breast feed and can cause developmental problems in the baby.
- Avoid gas forming foods like urad dals, chola, rajma, chawali, channa, besan, pickles, green peas, dry peas. Vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, bhindi, broccholi, onions are better avoided for the first 40 days. Later on, they can be introduced in the mother’s diet slowly.
- Avoid any sort of fried food. They are very difficult to digest in the first 40 days and can lead to gas and stomach ache and burns.
- Avoid ghee and rice for the first 3-4 day after c- section. After 4 days you can start eating rice once a day. Unlike the myth that says you should not eat rice as the scar will not heal. This is true in case if the mother is diabetic, as high blood sugar levels will interfere in healing of scar, but for a non – diabetic average indian women this does not hold true.
- Very cold food and drinks. This restriction is imposed on mother just for precaution. If the mother catches cold, treatment becomes hard if she is breastfeeding. The medications are excreted in breast milk and the baby’s health gets affected too.
We are planning for a kid, however I am facing some issue while having intercourse. I am not getting the urge to do and not getting this urge to have intercourse.
Hi I have a problem to conceive, and all kinds of tests are completed, doctor said no problem, and my husband has count problem, he used medicine, now his count also gud, But I didn't conceive what I have to do please suggest me.
Hello doc i am planning for baby, please suggest me when to start intercourse my period was regular, this month was started on 21 to 23 so when should I start. Please help me out thank u.
When I was kid (7-8 years) I had a severe coughs and chest congestion along with wheezing. And later in the middle I was fine but again 3 years ago I started having severe coughs, chest congestion and also I think I have dust allergy. And for past 3 year all of the sudden I started coughing I took antibiotics/allergy tablets I reduced a little but not completely.
Hi I am 25 years old female, I am trying to get pregnant I just want to know which fruits are good to take and which are not for my body. Is it true that mango and some fruits produces heat in the body can I eat mango and is having 1 cup tea daily is hot for the body? please suggest me some dieting tips to get pregnant.
Ovulaion ho rha kaise pata chalega? Kaise confirm ho ki ovulaion ho rha Hain? Period k kitne din bad ovulaion date aati Hain? Ovulaion date me pregnancy aane se pregnancy ka Jada chance Hain?
Cough is also known as a sudden reflex in which you have to clear your throat and breathing passage from microbes, irritants, fluids and mucus. You can also call coughing as the rapid expulsion of air from your lungs. Coughing can be both deliberate and involuntary. There are two types of cough which can make you suffer dry or wet. Wet cough is caused due to cold, cold extremities or viral attack. Dry cough is caused due to exposure to pollutants, smoke, environment and also if you have allergy from dust. Cough problems have an effect at your lungs, respiratory tract and immunity system. Ayurvedic treatment is oldest holistic medicine treatment and was developed thousands of years ago in India. Ayurveda promotes good health and can be used effectively for both wet and dry cough.
Ayurvedic remedy for wet cough:
Symptoms for wet cough includes pain in your throat and chest, fatigue and irritability.
1. Using liquorice powder (3 tsp), black peppercorn (1 tsp) and sugary candy (2 tsp) can make an effective natural home remedy. Crush all three ingredients all to form a powder and you should eat half tea spoon of this mixture 4 times a day.
2. Crush a little ginger to make a paste and paste it on a sieve. Extract the ginger juice and add honey (1 tsp). Mix well and heat it till it becomes lukewarm. You should eat 1 tea spoon thrice a day.
Ayurvedic remedy for dry cough:
The causes for dry cough include pneumonia, sinus infections and viral infections in your respiratory tract. Symptoms are fatigue and weak immune system along with an itchy throat.
1. Using almonds, butter and sugar makes for an effective natural Ayurvedic home remedy. Make a paste with 7 almonds (soaked overnight) and add 2 tea spoons of butter and sugar each to the paste. You should mix well and eat it twice every day, at morning and evening.
2. You can also make a paste by mixing small quantity of basil leaves, ginger and honey. Mix well and have 1 tea spoon thrice a day.
3. Take a glass of warm water and add 1 tea spoon each of turmeric powder and carom powder. Mix it well and drink the mixture about two times a day. This is an effective remedy for dry cough. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.