Foods that you must eat to gear up your metabolism and they will help you lose weight:
- Protein rich foods: Protein rich foods, such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds, could help increase your metabolism for a few hours. They do so by requiring your body to use more energy to digest them. This is known as the thermic effect of food (TEF). The TEF refers to the number of calories needed by your body to digest, absorb and process the nutrients in your meals. Research shows that protein-rich foods increase TEF the most. Protein-rich diets also reduce the drop in metabolism often seen during weight loss by helping your body hold on to its muscle mass. What’s more, protein may also help keep you fuller for longer, which can prevent overeating.
- Iron, zinc and selenium rich foods: Iron, zinc and selenium each play different but equally important roles in the proper function of your body. However, they do have one thing in common: all three are required for the proper function of your thyroid gland, which regulates your metabolism. Research shows that a diet too low in iron, zinc or selenium may reduce the ability of your thyroid gland to produce sufficient amounts of hormones. This can slow down your metabolism. To help your thyroid function to the best of its ability, include zinc, selenium and iron rich foods like meat, legumes, nuts and seeds in your daily menu.
- Chilli peppers: Capsaicin, a chemical found in Chilli peppers, may boost your metabolism by increasing the number of calories and fat you burn. Capsaicin may have appetite-reducing properties.
- Coffee: Studies report that the caffeine found in coffee can help increase metabolic rate by up to 11%. Furthermore, caffeine may also help your body burn fat for energy and seems especially effective at boosting your workout performance. However, its effects seem to vary from person to person, based on individual characteristics such as body weight and age.
- Tea: According to research, the combination of caffeine and catechins that’s found in tea may work to boost your metabolism. In particular, both oolong and green tea may increase metabolism by 4–10%. This could add up to burning an extra 100 calories per day. In addition, oolong and green teas may help your body use stored fat for energy more effectively, increasing your fat-burning ability by up to 17%. Nevertheless, as is the case with coffee, effects may vary from person to person.
- Legumes and pulses: Legumes and pulses, such as lentils, peas, chickpeas, beans and peanuts, are particularly high in protein compared to other plant foods. Studies suggest that their high protein content requires your body to burn a greater number of calories to digest them, compared to lower-protein foods. Legumes also contain a good amount of dietary fiber, such as resistant starch and soluble fiber, which your body can use to feed the good bacteria living in your intestines. Legumes are also high in arginine, an amino acid that may increase the amount of carbs and fat your body can burn for energy. In addition, peas and lentils also contain substantial amounts of the amino acid glutamine, which may help increase the number of calories burned during digestion.
- Metabolism boosting spices: Certain spices are thought to have particularly beneficial metabolism-boosting properties. For instance, research shows that dissolving 2 grams of ginger powder in hot water and drinking it with a meal may help you burn up to 43 more calories than drinking hot water alone. This hot ginger drink also seems to decrease levels of hunger and enhance feelings of satiety. Similarly, adding cayenne pepper to your meal may increase the amount of fat your body burns for energy, especially following a high-fat meal. However, this fat-burning effect may only apply to people unaccustomed to consuming spicy foods.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar may increase your metabolism. In one study, mice given vinegar experienced an increase in the AMPK enzyme, which prompts the body to decrease fat storage and increase fat burning. In another study, obese rats treated with vinegar experienced an increase in the expression of certain genes, leading to reduced liver fat and belly fat storage. Apple cider vinegar help you lose weight in other ways, such as slowing stomach emptying and enhancing feelings of fullness. If you’d like to give apple cider vinegar a try, be careful to limit your daily consumption to two tablespoons (30 ml).
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is experiencing a surge in popularity. That may be partly because coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). This is contrary to most other types of fats, which usually contain higher amounts of long-chain fatty acids. Unlike long-chain fats, once MCTs are absorbed, they go directly to the liver to be turned into energy. This makes them less likely to be stored as fat. In addition, researchers report that a daily intake of 30 ml of coconut oil may successfully reduce waist size in obese individuals.
- Water: Drinking enough water is a great way to stay hydrated. Additionally, it seems that drinking water may also temporarily boost metabolism by 24–30%. About 40% of that increase may come from your body trying to match the water’s temperature to its own. Yet, the effects only seem to last for 60–90 minutes after drinking it and may vary from one person to another.
The heart may sometimes face excessive fluttering or a throbbing sensation, which may make you feel uncomfortable. Such sudden throbbing sensations resulting in discomfort are called 'palpitations'. Homeopathy has some great remedies depending on the cause of these problems.
Let’s have a look at these:
- Palpitations caused by anxiety: This is one of the top causes for palpitations which occur before sitting for an exam, interview or before important events of your life. However, they may tend to stay longer and it is advisable that you control them with the use of Aconite or Arsenic Album.
- Palpitations caused by Physical exertion: If you have a weakened heart or if you smoke and thus tend to feel a lot of exertion even with the slightest of physical efforts, then Spigelia, Iberis and Digitalis are good medications. Digitalis is especially good for palpitations caused by the slightest of movements, while spigelia is very good with palpitations that cause arm pain as well.
- Anemia: Anemia or the lack of red blood cells can be very dangerous for your health as it can damage your vital organs. It can also cause palpitations along with other symptoms such as paleness, lack of strength and drowsiness. Natrum Mur and Ferrum Met are two of the most effective remedies in such cases.
- Use of tobacco products: Another reason for palpitations developing is the use of tobacco products, such as cigarettes or chewing tobacco. In such cases, palpitations may occur even with the slightest of exertions or at rest. Medications effective in such situations are Kalmia, Tabacum and Convallaria. These variations may be required depending on the types of symptoms you may show such as a quick heart rate or a slow heart rate.
- A palpitation caused by hyperthyroidism: Excessive secretion of thyroid is called hyperthyroidism and can cause a host of problems within the body including palpitation. Iodum and Spongia are two excellent medications in treating variations of palpitations caused by an over active thyroid gland.
- Palpitations caused by acidity or gastric problems: This is possibly the most common cause for palpitations and Lycopodium as well as Abies Can are two very effective homeopathic medications, which can easily remedy the situation, depending on the type of problems you are having.
Lung diseases are some of the most common diseases suffered by human beings throughout the world. Smoking and infections are responsible for most lung diseases. The lungs perform one of the most important functions of the body. It is also one of the most active organs in the human body and hence lung problems can arise due to problems in any other part of the body.
Some of the most common and infectious lung diseases are discussed below...
- Asthma: Asthma is a common long term disease which is characterized by reversible airflow obstruction and bronchospasm. The symptoms of asthma include coughing, shortness of breath and tightness of chest. These symptoms may occur frequently during a day and depending on the person, it may become worse during night or during a certain exercise.
- Pneumonia: Pneumonia is another common lung problem which is suffered due to inflammation in the microscopic air sacs in the lungs known as alveoli. Symptoms of pneumonia include dry cough, chest pain, breathing problem and fever. Pneumonia is caused most commonly by viruses or bacteria. It is also caused by certain medications and conditions which are popularly known as autoimmune diseases. There are a number of vaccines available to prevent certain types of pneumonia. Other methods include hand washing and refraining from smoking.
- Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis is a very infectious disease which is caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Although tuberculosis generally affects the lungs, but it has been known to affect other parts of the body as well. Symptoms of tuberculosis include cough containing sputum with blood, night sweats, fever and weight loss. Air is an active medium for spreading tuberculosis. This happens when people who already have tuberculosis sneeze, cough or speak. Infection occurs more in those who have HIV/AIDS or those who smoke. Prevention of tuberculosis includes staying away and keeping those who are at high risk, early detection and treatment and vaccination.
- Mesothelioma: Mesothelioma is a type of cancer which affects the lungs. It affects the lining of the lungs and chest wall. Symptoms of mesothelioma include shortness of breath, swollen abdomen, cough, chest pain, weight loss and general lethargy. Mesothelioma is caused mainly due to exposure to asbestos. Those people who mine asbestos, produce products from asbestos, work with asbestos products are at high risk. Mesothelioma also results from genetical problems and due to infection caused by the simian virus 40.
- Pulmonary Embolism: This is a disease caused due to blockage of an artery in the lungs by a substance which has travelled from another part of the body by the bloodstream. Symptoms of this disease include chest pain, breath shortness and coughing up of blood. There may also be signs of blood clot in the legs.
My mother is 57 years old. She is feeling head spinning for a very long time. When she sees down and moves up she has spin feling. Checked eyes and entfeeling. Checked eyes and ent doc also. They said vertigo. Now it's been 2 months having medication. But no improvement. Is there anything else we need to check. Please advice.
I am using sotret soap an nilac gel to heal my pimples is that good way to remove my pimples an I hav got little dark spot how can I remove that so plzz I need a suggestion from you.
Hi I am 28 years old and my wife is 25 who got married 9 months back. We were trying to have sex but every time we try the penetration is not happening properly and we are not satisfied. Initially my wife was scared and didn't allow me to. We even tried using lubricant which was not of much help. By the time she gets comfortable my erection is going down. Now after many trails what I feel is I am not able to make myself erect for much time where I can guidemonths back. We were trying to have sex but every time we try the penetration is not happening properly and we are not satisfied. Initially my wife was scared and didn't allow me to. We even tried using lubricant which was not of much help. By the time she gets comfortable my erection is going down. Now after many trails what I feel is I am not able to make myself erect for much time where I can goahead. I think I need a lower dose of erectile dysfunction medicine where I can get some time to create a pace to have penetration. Please suggest.
Dr. Am asking this question for clarification. My problem is related to periods. My periods happened on last months are 19/10/2016 ,14/11/2016, 8/12/2016. Doctor is there any problems with the dates of my periods. Is it irregular periods? And I want to know is there any chances to. Make problems in pregnancy?
What should I eat normal indian food and how much time I should eat in a day to reduce weight. From 1 -2 year I am not able to loss my weight. I am at constant weight even I tried walking, aerobic what should I do to loss weight I want to loss 10 kg atleast in any cost. Now I am getting eretateat least in any cost. Now I am getting eretate and not doing anything. please help in reduce my weight. And I am having lose skin in hand stomach and in leg what should I do to tighten my skin.
Ask any woman who had a baby in the last one year, as to what was one of her major complaints post pregnancy and the answer would be “stretch marks.” And, if you think of the belly as the only affected area, you are wrong! Even the breasts, calves and arms are affected.
The skin stretches beyond its limits in a short period of time and so these stretch marks appear. It is more common with women who have had excessive weight gain and with multiple babies. It is also hereditary and women with oily skin are less likely to have them. Also, women who regularly apply moisturizer have fewer stretch marks. However, there definitely are ways to both avoid and reduce the stretch marks.
Prevention is definitely more effective.
- Stretch mark creams can be used from day one of pregnancy, which can help reduce the formation of these marks.
- A good cream could also help eliminate existing stretch marks from earlier pregnancies, in addition to preventing new ones from forming.
- It is best to use the cream both during day and night after a warm shower. This will help the skin to absorb the cream optimally, making it more effective.
- Preventive lotions have a combination of cocoa butter, shea butter, honey, aloe vera and various oils including almond, castor, olive, vitamin E, and other essential oils. Each of them has their own effective way to control stretch marks.
- Other preventive measures include exercise, exfoliation using a scrubber and eating a diet which is low in zinc.
But treatment is the solution if prevention is not possible.
- Soon after pregnancy, try and use creams that contain cocoa butter, glycolic acid, various oils like almond, vitamin E, castor, and olive which will help manage the stretch marks.
- A good massage using these oils has proved to be one of the best ways to manage stretch marks on the belly and breasts.
- There are various on-the-shelf products nowadays for treating these marks, but use the one prescribed by your doctor. The way these chemicals get absorbed and excreted may not be clear to you and if you are breast-feeding, it is safer to consult a doctor before using such items.
- In addition to the creams, exercise and sufficient hydration are also essential to help stretch marks disappear.
- Laser surgery is another option which can do any of these 3 things – produce pigments in the lighter areas, improve collagen production in the depressed areas, or reduce the color of the darker areas in a stretch mark. Though offered widely, this is best avoided given the side effects.
Stretch marks are an integral part of pregnancy and it is best to let nature run its course after doing everything to prevent it or treating it safely.
Morning after pill is an emergency form of contraception. It is a type of birth control which can prevent unwanted pregnancy which is a potential risk after unprotected sexual intercourse. The typical name, “morning after pill”, is on account of the fact that it is usually taken on the morning after you have had unprotected sex the earlier night.
How does it work?
It primarily works by inhibiting or delaying ovulation. It does not cause abortion, but merely stops ovulation temporarily and thus, prevents fertilization of the egg with the sperm. It is required to be taken within 72 hours or 3 days after having unsafe sex for it to work effectively, but the sooner you take it, the better it is.
Risks associated with the Morning after Pill
Although the prospect of using this pill seems very useful and handy, there are risks associated with it as well.
It has temporary side effects such as nausea, headache, dizziness, lower abdominal pain or cramps.
It is not a reliable form of birth control like condoms, copper-Ts or IUDs as you might still get pregnant.
It can lead to bleeding between your periods or heavy menstrual bleeding can be experienced. It can even make your menstrual cycle irregular.
In serious cases, it can even lead to cerebral haemorrhage (bleeding inside the brain) and cerebral thrombosis (formation of clots in the brain).
It does not protect you from any sort of STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) or STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection).
It can even lead to hormonal imbalances if taken on a regular basis as it can interfere with your regular estrogen and progesterone levels.
If taken multiple times, it can even affect your fertility in the future as it can alter the pH levels of your uterus.
- It is an emergency contraceptive and not recommended for routine use.
The immune system of the body essentially plays two important roles. Firstly, it protects the body from bacteria, viruses and other foreign organisms, thus preventing the onset of infections and diseases. Secondly, it ensures that body cells are functioning properly and are not degenerating. Thus, the immune system of the body is quite effective and is responsible for your overall health.
There are times when the immune system becomes weak and is thus unable to fight foreign organisms invading the body. A direct indication that your immune system is weak is when you catch the seasonal cold or flu. In such a case, you have to take certain steps to give a boost to your immune system, such as-
Live healthy- Living healthy does not only include eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly. Make sure that you get enough sleep on a daily basis and avoid smoking along with consumption of alcohol. It is also essential that you maintain your weight and keep a tab on your blood pressure.
Maintain good hygiene- Hygienic habits such as washing hands before every meal and after using the toilet go a long way when it comes to boosting the immune system.
Reduce sugar intake- As per research, it becomes more difficult for white blood cells to fight bacteria when the sugar level of the body is very high, which is why the immune system gets surpassed, and you are more susceptible to infections.
Consume healthy fats- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids play an important role in boosting the immune system. These healthy fats help the immune system to make prostaglandins, which effectively destroy germs and viruses that have invaded the body.
Avoid the consumption of toxic food- As far as possible, make sure that you are consuming organic food. This is because food grown on a commercial scale is full of toxic chemicals from the pesticides, insecticides, preservatives and artificial colours added to it. The toxic chemicals have a grave impact on the immune system of the body, which can lead to severe complications in the long run.
Although, you want your immune system to be strong and effective, make sure that it is not highly overactive. A highly overactive immune system can also lead to many health complications, such as the onset of autoimmune conditions. All in all, make sure that you are leading a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
According to an Ayurvedic study of mental health, ‘rajas’, ‘satwa’ and ‘tama’ are essential qualities of one’s mind. ‘Satwa’ is essential for knowledge and reasoning, ‘Rajas’ initiates thoughts, whereas ‘Tama’ renders a soothing effect and serves to control overactive ‘satwa’ and ‘rajas’. However, equilibrium among these three is necessary for a healthy mind. A disruption in this balance results in anxiety, anger and even mental disorder. Environmental toxins, stress and information overload take a toll on one’s brain functioning on a daily basis. Along with exercises and a balanced diet, these few herbs can be used for restoring mental balance, thereby promoting mental wellbeing.
Mulungu Bark- Mulungu calms your nerves, thus improving your mood and sleep. It even enhances brain function, helping to reduce anxiety.
Bacopa- Also known as Brahmi, bacopa boosts memory and cognitive abilities. It also aids in lowering the production of stress hormone ‘cortisol’. It sustains the physical health of the brain cells, protecting the brain against ageing.
Rhodiola Rosea- This medicinal herb consists of two powerful compounds called ‘Salidroside’ and ‘Rosin’. Salidroside is a strong antioxidant while Rosin shields against neurotoxicity (toxicity in the nervous system due to the exposure to artificial or natural toxins) by curbing inflammation of the neural cells. This enhances a better mental performance, reducing anxiety, stress and fatigue.
Ziziphus Jujuba- Day-to-day chores over a long period of time can get extremely tiring and affect your physical as well as mental faculties. Ziziphus Jujuba encourages good sleep at night, thus restoring your mental health.
Passiflora Incarnata (passion flower)- This herb acts as a natural sedative; thereby relieving anxiety, which is a primary reason for interrupted sleep.
Scutellaria lateriflora (skullcap)– The anti-oxidant properties of this plant help deal with and alleviate stress levels, in the process, improving your mood and inducing sound sleep. It also helps treat inflammation of the brain.
A Pap smear test helps in detecting the signs and onset of cervical cancer. This test helps in pointing at the presence of any suspicious cells that may require further examination and testing with the help of an oncologist. You will enjoy a negative result in case you have a normal reading during the examination process and no further treatment will be required. Yet, you will be asked to go through the test on a regular basis. But here is what happens if you have an abnormal reading.
- Positive Result: You are said to have a positive result, if you have any unusual or abnormal cells were found during this Pap Smear Test. While this may not necessarily mean that you have cervical cancer, it can show what kind of abnormal cells are present in this area of your body. The doctor will check for the following things after a positive result.
- ASCUS: This is also known as Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance. This is a liquid based test that will seek to study the thin and flat squamous cells that may be found on the surface of a perfectly healthy and normal cervix. This test will check for the presence of any virus that may lead to the development of cancer and to determine the level of risk to the patient. Further, if there is any high risk virus, then further treatment and testing will be required.
- Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion: When some of the cells that have been extracted during the Pap Smear test turn out to be precancerous, then they are Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions. In many cases, it takes a few years for these lesions to turn cancerous especially when the changes are low grade, which pertains to the size, shape and other features of the same. If a high grade lesion is detected, then diagnostic testing in the form of imaging tests may be required.
- Atypical Glandular Cells: These mucus producing cells grow within the cervical opening and usually spread into the uterus as well. While they may appear abnormal, it is difficult to tell whether or not they are cancerous, especially in the early stages.
- Squamous Cell Cancer: This is an almost certain reading of the growth of cancer in the cervix. When a reading from the Pap Smear includes such a finding, the doctor will recommend immediate evaluation.
- Colposcopy: Once you have had a positive reading with any of the above findings, the doctor will perform this procedure with sample tissue extracted during a biopsy. This will be done with the use of a special magnifying tool known as a colposcope to examine the cervix, vagina and vulva tissues.
Are you experiencing reduced libido along with intense dryness in your genitals? Loss of libido is a tough thing to cope with in women. In spite of having a great sex life, your vaginal area can become nonresponsive because of several reasons. You might not even know what is happening and the reasons which are causing the condition. These conditions are common in the menopause stage in women.
Reasons for decreased libido and vaginal dryness:
1. Several changes occur in a woman’s body during the menopause stage. The sex hormones, which include estrogen and progesterone start decreasing. This may lower your libido, cause vaginal dryness and affect your sex life to a great extent.
2. Testosterone is the sex hormone which turns you on or gets you into the mood for having sex. When the production of this hormone is insufficient, the urge for having sex gets affected and reaching an orgasm gets even harder.
3. The decrease in estrogen production causes several physical changes in a woman. The blood circulation to your sexual organs gets reduced, making you less sensitive to any kind of sexual stimulation. It also leads to vaginal dryness. The walls of the vagina also become thin due to which penetration may get painful.
Remedies for decreased libido
1. You should start practicing breathing exercises and do meditation for at least thirty minutes every day. This will enable you to eliminate stress, which is a primary trigger for decreased libido.
2. For balancing the estrogen levels, you should consume phytoestrogenic tea and supplements. Some important herbs which you should take include black cohosh, red clover and dong quai.
3. You should also consume aphrodisiac food items. Garlic is such a food item, which contains allicin and increases the blood flow to the vagina. Dark chocolate can also be taken.
Remedies for vaginal dryness
Several conventional vaginal lubricants may lead to irritation, infection and dryness of the vagina.
1. You should always use a natural lubricant, which is not associated with side effects and works effectively. Natural lubricants such as tea tree oil, coconut oil and vitamin E based oils provide effective vaginal lubrication. They also moisturize and repair the vagina.
2. You must keep fit and active. Regular cardio or yoga sessions will help with enhanced blood flow to your sexual organs, making you feel wet.
3. You should drink plenty of water and always stay hydrated in order to prevent dryness in the vagina.
Most importantly, it is a good idea to continue having sex. If you shy away and do not make any effort, the problem of decrease in libido will continue. Therefore, sex is the best way of encouraging your body. Proper communication with your partner is also necessary.