Submit a review for Prudent International Health ClinicYour feedback matters!
Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile duct cancer), like any other cancer, leaves a person physically, mentally and emotionally drained. It has been mostly found to affect people above 60 years of age. The signs and symptoms associated are so common that very few people consult a physician. A delayed diagnosis implies delayed treatment. This goes on to aggravate and complicate the situation further. One needs to be a little alert. Any symptoms, no matter how common, should not be taken lightly. Look for the early signs and symptoms and bile duct cancer can be fully cured.
Signs and symptoms associated with Cholangiocarcinoma:
Bile duct cancer can be Extrahepatic (occurs in the duct outside the liver) or Intrahepatic (cancer develops within the smaller ducts inside the liver). It must be noted that Intrahepatic Bile duct cancer and Liver cancer are different.
- Bile duct cancer results in blocking the bile duct. This blockage severely effects the secretion of bilirubin and bile from the liver. Thus, the secretions (bile and bilirubin) which are supposed to flow into the intestine move back into the bloodstream. An elevated level of bilirubin in the blood gives rise to a condition, known as Jaundice (a condition resulting in yellowing of the eyes and the skin). The problem lies in the fact that many other factors can equally contribute to Jaundice. Consulting a physician at the earliest is the best resort.
- A sudden or drastic weight loss and loss of appetite is an alarming sign of Cholangiocarcinoma.
- Excessive itching can be an indication of something as big as bile duct cancer. Itching can be an outcome of the increased bilirubin (blood) reaching the skin.
- At an advanced stage of Cholangiocarcinoma, a patient may experience severe abdominal pain.
- At times, the tumour in the bile duct might exert immense pressure on the nearby organs. This can give rise to an enlarged abdominal mass. Bloated feeling is also very common amongst the patients.
- An unusual change in the colour of the stool and urine should not be neglected. The elevated bilirubin level from the intestine is usually eliminated out of the system through the urine. Thus the stool appears lighter and the urine a shade darker.
- A cholangiocarcinoma patient can, at times feel nauseated. Fever is also a common but an extremely important indication.
Bile duct cancer or cholangiocarcinoma can lead to many other complications. Click below to know every minute detail associated with Cholangiocarcinoma.
Lung cancer is also known as pulmonary carcinoma or cancer of the lung. It occurs when DNA mutations develop in the cells/ tissues of the lungs leading up to uncontrolled growth in the tissues of the lung. By far, it is known to be the most common cancer in Asia.
1. Type: lung cancers can present as one of the following types:
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): Most common type of lung cancer and constitutes nearly 85% of all lung cancers. The sub-types of NSCLC are as follows:
- Large cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma (SqCC) (Epidermoid)
- Adenocarcinoma – accounts for majority of the NSCLC.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC): It is also known as oat meal cancer and tends to spread (metastasize) quickly. This constitutes about 15% of the lung cancers.
- Mesothelioma: It is a rare cancer that develops in the mesothelial cells of the pleural or peritoneal surfaces. It usually arises in the pleural membrane lining the lungs, known as pleural mesothelioma. One that arises from the peritoneum is called the peritoneal mesothelioma and the one that arises from the pericardium is known as pericardial mesothelioma. Lastly, it can also arise from the tunica vaginalis known as testicular mesothelioma. People working with or prior exposure to asbestos are mostly at risk of developing mesothelioma. The latency period between time of exposure and development of mesothelioma can be somewhere between 20 to 40 years. Maximum of the patients who develop mesothelioma are men.
2. Gender: It affects the male populace predominantly. It is more common in men than in women and in those of lower economic status. However, the incidence of lung cancer, in women too, is on the rise of late.
3. Etiology: Cigarette/ Tobacco smoking remains the most important cause of lung cancer accounting for 85 – 90% of the cases. Incidence/ risk is proportionate to the number of cigarettes smoked irrespective of the age. Also, environmental toxins including smoke from burning black tar, exhaust gases from automobiles etc. too contribute actively to various lung diseases including cancer. People working in asbestos manufacturing factories who are exposed to asbestos dust are also likely to get lung cancer. Tuberculosis too is an additive risk factor. Again, people who have received ionizing radiation especially to treat Hodgkin Lymphoma or other malignancies also run the risk of developing lung cancer. Above-mentioned causes apart, genetic factors may also play a role.
4. Features: Lung cancer clinically presents in the following ways mainly.Signs & symptoms of malignant mesothelioma are as enumerated below
1. Difficult/ labored breathing (Dyspnea)
2. Chest pain
3. Palpable chest wall mass
4. Discordant chest wall expansion
5. Weight loss (Cachexia)
6. Loss of appetite (Anorexia)
7. Night sweats
Signs & symptoms of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are as enumerated below. Majority of patients are symptomatic at diagnosis
8. Chronic cough
9. Difficult/ labored breathing (Dyspnea)
10. Chest pain
11. Blood stained sputum (Hemoptysis)
13. Weight loss (Cachexia)
14. Loss of appetite (Anorexia)
16. Bone pain
17. Pleural or pericardial effusion
18. Superior vena cava syndrome
19. Brachial plexopathy
20. Neurologic pain
21. Hypercalcemia of malignancy
Signs & symptoms of small cell lung cancer (SCLC) are as enumerated below
Symptoms as per the points 8 – 18 depicted above for NSCLC are applicable for SCLC as well. Additionally, patients suffering from SCLC may have:
23. Horner syndrome
5. Screening: is generally recommended for asymptomatic/ symptomatic populations as surveillance for high risk individuals – who are either current or former smokers (quit smoking within the last 15 years), have at least a 30 pack year smoking history and those who do not have any prior history of lung cancer. The goal of screening, as usual, is to be able to detect & diagnose lung cancer at an early stage which is potentially curable. It is mostly radiologic with a low dose helical computed tomography (CT) scan being more effective in detecting early stage lung cancer than a chest radiograph can.
6. Diagnosis: Abnormal blood test results may be indicative of malignancy, but a follow up imaging/ biopsy is always the gold standard for accurate diagnosis. Following are the diagnostics employed mainly:
- Blood: Hb may be low, TLC, ESR and polymorphs increased. Adenocarcinomas are likely to express thyroid transcription factor 1 (TTF-1) or carcinoembyonic antigen (CEA). On the other hand, mesotheliomas are likely to express Wilms Tumor -1 (WT-1) protein and Calretinin.
- Imaging: Thoracoscopy, Bronchoscopy, X-Ray, CT Scan etc all. Positron Emission Tomography (PET) / CT scan and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan help detect metastasis, if any.
- Biopsy: It clinches the histologic diagnosis, and the nature of the disease.
7. Treatment: Conventional treatment includes surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy as contextually appropriate. Simultaneously, an adjunctive or integrative naturopathic treatment with suitable complementary & alternative medicines (CAM) too can help improve clinical outcomes and facilitate recovery as would be feasible contextually.
8. Prognosis: preventive measures, earlier diagnosis and right early treatment is key for an effective therapeutic management & better prognosis. Like most other cancers, the chances of cure for an early stage lung cancer are more. The cure/ recovery chances are influenced by the grade, stage of cancer, recurrence and the patient’s general health & vitality etc all. The primary determinant of prognosis in NSCLC is the stage at which the cancer is diagnosed. For non-metastatic cancers, however, it is the nodal status that determines the stage and hence the prognosis.
9. Prevention: rightly said, prevention is always a better choice. Cigarette smoking is to be avoided by all means as it is the single major cause of lung cancer. Even exposure to cigarette smoke (passive or secondhand) is also an established cause of lung cancer and is known to increase the risk of lung cancer in non-smokers as well. Preventing exposure to secondhand smoke can be helpful in decreasing the incidence and mortality from primary lung cancers. Above-mentioned apart, other important risk factors such as exposure to ionizing radiation, environmental carcinogens like smoke from burning black tar, exhaust gases from automobiles, outdoor air pollution, and occupational exposure to asbestos, arsenic, beryllium, nickel, cadmium, chromium etc all too are known to increase the risk for lung cancer and mortality thereof. In fact, cigarette smoking is known to potentiate the effect and hence the lung cancer risk of many of the above-mentioned carcinogens, multi-fold, in smokers. Thus, either eliminating or reducing the exposure to the above-mentioned carcinogens can lead to a decrease in the risk of lung cancer and incidences thereof. Furthermore, randomized clinical trials indicate that high intensity smokers (only) who take supplementation of beta-carotene have an increased risk/ incidence of lung cancer. Vitamin E supplementation, on the other hand, does not affect the risk of lung cancer as indicated by the trials. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Hi Doctor, I had total thyroidectomy due to Thyroid cancer Parathyroids were preserved, I am taking calcium supplement of 2000 mg, calcium was 8.6 post surgery, after 50 days now calcium reduced to 7.But I am "ASYMPTOMATIC" My albumin is normal. What could be the reason for low calcium and I am ASYMPTOMATIC not understanding this?.
Hi sir my sister is having mouth cancer. She is from dehradun she is having Ayurveda treatment. .but I want to show her to you once. .financially she is not sound so if we want her to treated by you is there any chance to get funds from any n.g.o? Or shall we go through ayurveda only. Pls guide me coz somebody told me you guide people guineunly. My mom past away before 4 month be coz of cancer now we don't want to loose her so please guide me what should I do??
Cancer is one of the worst diseases, which kills millions of people across the world. While there is a wide range of treatment options available, the best way to deal with it is to ensure a good diet along with a healthy lifestyle. Here is a list of cancer-fighting food products, which can immensely help to prevent cancer.
- Green vegetables: Leafy green vegetables have multiple health benefits. They are not only rich in minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and antioxidants, but also have very low content of calories, toxins, and sodium. Being antiviral and antibacterial in nature, green vegetables can successfully inactivate carcinogens, halt metastasis and pause the formation of a tumour. Certain vegetables contain isothiocyanates that can detox the cells. Some of the vegetables that are mighty effective in countering cancer cells include kale, romaine, watercress, nutritious spinach, collard greens etc.
- Berries: Berries are one of the best antioxidants among all food items, owing to their high ORAC score. Their antiviral and anti-fungal nature of berries is extremely healthy for the body. Moreover, abundant supply of vitamin A and C makes berries a perfect agent for increasing body immunity. Free radicals are one of the top reasons for metastasis. The proanthocyanidin content of berries helps the body to get a hang of free radicals, thereby decreasing the chances of cancer cells to grow rapidly. They can be consumed daily with any meals.
- Spices and herbs: There are a lot of herbs and spices, which boost the immune system and prevents cancer cells to grow further. Turmeric, for instance, is scientifically proved to be a great agent for reducing tumor size and effectively countering breast cancer and colon cancer. Some of the other herbs and spices include black pepper, ginger, raw garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil. They can be consumed daily in the form of juice or along with regular meals.
- Organic meat: Many scientists are of the view that organic meat does wonder in a cancer diet. Liver of beef and chicken has high B12 content and helps to remove harmful toxins from the digestive tract and liver. They can balance hormone, digest fat and counter the side effects of triglycerides, drugs, and obesity. This can be included in the diet every alternate day.
- Seeds and nuts: Flax seeds and chia seeds are few nutrient-power packed foods in the world. They should be included in the diet due to high fiber, mineral, and fatty acid content. Some other healthy seeds that can pay rich dividends in fighting cancer include walnut, sprouted bean, sunflower seeds etc. Nuts and seeds with all their nutritional qualities can successfully stop metastasis, reduce tumor size and increase immunity in the body, if consumed daily.
My grandfather who is 75 years old is suffering from esophageal cancer which has been detected recently. According to the doctor he is in the stage iii of the disease. Is there any chance of survival? We want to know details of experts in Guwahati. Please guide us.
My mother has a lump that may be cancer. Her CA 19 levels were 100, over the range of 0-37, which may indicate cancer. It's been there for 6 months but she wants to use alternative medicine like ayurveda to cure it. She won't take a pet scan. Anything else I can do to rule out cancer or help her?
I am 35 yo male. I have developed a painful node on my left upper breast. It's painful to touch. What it could be? It's been there for couple of weeks.
Patient has been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3 - Nottingham Histologic Score - 3 + 3 + 3 = 9. Can you suggest the prognosis? The tumor is NOS in right break measuring 24-22-14 mm. I have attached the report also. Please let me know if it is curable and what are the chances of relapse.
I had total thyroidectomy due to Thyroid cancer, Rai of 100 mcg done. 4 Parathyroids were preserved. Currently on Calcium supplement of 2000 mg, my recent Calcium level is 7.2 mg/DL Couple of weeks ago the level was 7 mg/DL. At time of discharge my Calcium level was 8.3 mg/DL, even though my recent level is decreased I have no symptoms of low calcium, I had vitamin D deficiency since long time. The calcium supplement has vitamin D3 as well, my worry is why the level decreased? My albumin level is 4.2gms/DL which is normal. Is my low calcium caused by low Vitamin D issue? Do I need to undergo any blood tests?
Hello sir, now a days we all fear about cancer. It's really unpleasant term. If chest pain or heart disease is going regularly then is it cause for cancer? Chest pain means cancer? If I don't smoke or drinks.
I was a hodgkin lymphoma patient. Chemo abvd done. Radiation also finished. Now I am facing a problem like my tongue is spotted and hurts when I eat food. It burns a lot. There is a coating on the tongue. Please advice how to treat this.
Im 17 and I sometimes have sharp needle pains in my either right and left nipples alternatively is that a sign of breast cancer?
I have a tumor on my left hand. Suspect in cancer! I do not want to biopsy right now, becoz I heard that if cancer patient done biopsy then cancer spared whole body immediate. Have any Homeopathy treatment in suspect cancer.
My friend is suffering from carcinoma sarcoma of gall bladder type 4 stage cancer. I want to know about the treatment process and hes chances to survive as I am really very worried about him he is 42 years of age .please reply me soon.
I had total thyroidectomy due to Thyroid cancer, Parathyroids were preserved, Done with Rai therapy of 100 mcg it's almost 20 days, currently using Calcium supplement of 2000 mg and Eltroxin 200 mcg, problem is my body is hot but there is no fever, also there are body pains since 4 days, what could be the reason?
USG of abdomen says. Liver shows overall reduced size but otherwise appears normal. Portal cavernosa. Cholelithiasis. splenomegaly of 120 mm. Mildly enlarged prostate of 28 gm.
I want to ask that is breast pressing very tightly and harshly for long time can cause any severe damage to breast? Or not;! Please tell! What r the risk it can cause! As during foreplay my bf presses my breast very tightly and harshly with both hands for long time. I am worry becoz I had listen that breast pressing can cause cancer and it can also damage my mammary glands and breast muscles please tell;! I had also listen that this tight and harshly pressing can damage veins and nerves also please tell! And please also tell some reason for your answer! So that I can be live without any fear! Please help I'm afraid! Please tell in details! Hope you will help! thanks!
I have a blood cancer? What should I do? Where should I go for best treatment in India? Please give me consult about blood cancer.
Cancer is becoming the disease of modern times as with changing lifestyles, more and more people are developing this disease. Research has shown up multiple options, but these options are not without side effects. Cases of immunosuppression, weight loss, hair loss, etc., are just a few of them. Therefore, there is constant work being done to identify alternate methods of arresting cancer and preventing it.
While these alternate methods do not help in curing cancer, they definitely help in managing the signs and symptoms of cancer. This makes a lot of sense as even with conventional treatments, beyond a certain point, chemotherapy only helps in palliation and is not a complete cure.
- Acupuncture: This practice of inserting needles at specific points in the body helps in relieving nausea caused by cancer and also helps improve pain to a large extent. However, this should not be used in people who are on anticoagulants and have poor platelet count. Getting an experienced person to do it is also very essential.
- Exercise: The chronic fatigue, which sets in with cancer, can be greatly reduced by regular exercise. Talk to a private physician to identify what would work for you, taking into account overall status and plan accordingly. This will also improve sleep patterns and your overall quality of life.
- Hypnosis: For extreme stress and anxiety induced by cancer, hypnosis is a good option. It helps calm the mind and soothes the body to relax completely. It also helps in reducing the nausea and vomiting that is often associated with chemotherapy.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda has multiple proven substances, which are known to detox the system and control cancer growth cells.
- Massage: Superficial and deep massage have definite benefits in chemotherapy. This relieves the muscle tension and stress associated with chemotherapy. Specific conditions like bone condition, pain type, etc., have to be taken into account before planning for this. Also invest in a good experience personnel to do this, as wrong hands may cause more damage.
- Meditation: The deep breathing and relaxation that happens with meditation helps control stress and anxiety in people with cancer. The advantage is that it can be done by the person at any time, anywhere, without investing in any equipment.
- Yoga: By combining body movements with relaxation techniques, yoga does wonders for the body. It improves agility, improves mental alertness, controls anxiety, improves metabolism, and is an effective detoxification method. A good yoga instructor can help in designing the right program to get the maximum benefits.
- Music therapy: Whether it is simple listening to music, writing songs, or playing an instrument, music has its healing powers. Having a group also helps as a form of supportive therapy.