Doctor in DSB Hospital
Submit a review for DSB HospitalYour feedback matters!
I am having cold, cough and body pain since the last 4 5 days what should be done is it because of the change of season?
Feeling cold ,cough in chest, body pain, increase in body temperatures at night. Age-38 sex-female .The condition has been there for 4 days.
Hi, I am a allergic patient of cough and cold Please suggest me some permanent solution for this disease.
Hello doctor, meri daughter 5 years ki h. Ushko jab dekho cold caugh &. Infection lagi rehti h. Bahat medicine use karliya fir V wo thik nahi hoti h. Doctor anti biotics dete h.Kuch fun thik rehti h fir SE wahi gal ho jati h. Doctor kya me ushko brandy de Sakti huin. Mujhe sabne kaha brandy SE cough thik hojaye hain. Is it true. Kitne din or kitna ml dena h. Please suggest me. Help me.
1. Stay home, rest and take plenty of fluids
Take plenty of rest at home which will give your body time to heal. Water, juices and comforting warm beverages will help prevent dehydration and turn thick viscid phlegm to watery mucus which can be easily coughed out.
2. Inhale steam
Steam inhalation: warm humidified air will ease the congestion in your nose and lungs.
It will help in thinning out the mucus and make breathing better. Alternatively, you can sit in the bathroom with the shower running hot water till the bathroom is filled with moist steam.
Use humidifier or vaporizer to moist the dry air in your house/room. It will help in quicker recovery from flu.
You can try over-the-counter medicines such as paracetamol, nasal decongestants and cough syrups after consulting with your local doctor. Never give aspirin to people younger than 19 years unless prescribed by a doctor. Lozenges will help to soothe the throat. Avoid taking antibiotics as flu is a viral infection and not bacterial unless prescribed by a doctor.
5. Saline solutions
Use saline nasal sprays or drops to unblock the nose. Put some drops or spray in the nose and gently blow the mucus and saline out. Gargles with a warm saline solution will sooth down the throat and help to clear the infection.
These measures will help ease your suffering and can result in a quicker recovery. Take appropriate precautions to prevent the spreading of flu, like covering of mouth while coughing, nose while sneezing especially when near the children.
Cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing, wash your hands frequently. Antibiotic wont work for common cold and cough:
1) Drink Up!- Get plenty of fluids. It helps to relieve congestion, makes your throat moist, and prevent dehydration.
2) Steam inhalation will definately works best as it helps to loosen up stuffy nose and helps you to breathe better
3) Use nasal saline drops or you can prepare one by mixing pinch of salt in warm water and putting 2-3 drops in your nostrils to ease itching and also it has antibacterial properties.
4) Rest as much as possible.. as it helps to built immunity to fight against the infection and helps body to heal naturally.
5) Drink Hot Liquids-As they helps to soothe the inflamed lining of your nose and throat.elevate your head by using multiple pillows to relieve your nasal congestion.
Which flu vaccine should be taken this year. "Influvac"-which I have taken last year, is not available in the kolkata market till now this year.
In the wake of increasing number of seasonal influenza cases, the Union Health Ministry has directed the National Capital and other states to strictly keep a tab on swine flu cases and monitor serious ones on a daily basis. The Health Minister, J P Nadda, gave a number of directions, including creating awareness and ensuring availability of medicines and vaccines.
“We are monitoring the situation on real-time basis. A control room has already been set up and is fully functional now. We have also rolled out a nationwide awareness campaign on Seasonal Influenza (H1N1),” said the Union Health Minister, J.P Nadda.
- 8,543 people succumbed to deadly swine flu virus between 2010 and 2017.
- Till July 2017, India witnessed over 19,113 cases of dengue and chikungunya.
- Delhi reported 485 fresh dengue cases in Sep. 2017
Who is at risk?
Seasonal influenza epidemics can seriously affect anybody anytime however pregnant women, children and the elderly are at highest risk.
Prevention Tips At A Glance-
- Get vaccinated.
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Avoid close contact.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder characterized by Hyperglycemia (elevated blood glucose level) due to either reduced production of insulin or the inability of the body to utilize the insulin produced. Today management of diabetes has become a prime concern. Over the winter months, diabetic patients are likely to suffer from higher blood glucose levels than during the warmer months. As the temperature drops and the sugar levels up, thus, diabetic patients should be extra careful about the temperature fluctuations or seasonal changes.The cold weather makes diabetics experience many health problems, besides creating a major change in their sugar levels.
Following are the most harmful effects that diabetic patients may suffer from during the cold weather
- Change in hemoglobin level: There is a great change in their glycated hemoglobin levels. Whatever the type of diabetes an individual has, the freezing temperature can increase the level of HbA1c or glycated hemoglobin. This is most likely because of decreased physical activity. Cold weather makes it difficult for some people to go out. A little activity each day can help with insulin sensitivity (in all types of diabetes) which can help the body to regulate sugar level in a better way.
- Prone to diseases: Since the immune system is also not at its best strength in winters, there are increased incidences of microbial infections like cold and flu or in some cases pneumonia. As a result, the body produces counterregulatory hormones (Cortisol, Adrenaline, and Glucagon) to counteract the situation. These hormones affect the utilization of insulin by the body thereby elevating the blood glucose level. Also, conditions like flu and cold tend to make them feel lethargic and stress and can prevent them from taking the diet, which is required, which eventually can lead to an increase in the blood sugar level.
- Winter blues: It is often seen that people feel low during winters, as they tend to go out less and prefer to stay indoors. Less outdoor activity during winters can sometimes trigger mood swings or in some cases depression, which in turn can shoot up the level of blood sugar in their body. Thus it is advisable that one should spend more time with friends and family, in order to keep these blues at bay.
- Other problems: Most diabetic people are unaware of their nerve functions, and are unable to feel the difference between the cold and hot water, which can lead to burn injury. Also, during the winter season, most diabetic patients tend to lose feeling in their toes and feet due to vascular changes. Therefore, it is advisable that people should check their feet frequently, so as to ensure that there is no open wound or pressure area in their feet. One must take very good care of their feet, keep them moisturized, inner fingers clean and dry, prevent any type of fungal growth in toes, etc. By taking required preventive measures before the onset of winters diabetic patients can control their blood sugar level, which enables them to stay away from associated problems.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!