Find numerous Homeopaths in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Homeopaths with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Homeopaths online in Pathanamthitta. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Unnikrishnan
Submit a review for Dr. UnnikrishnanYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Osteoporosis is a condition which usually results due to a decrease in bone density. In this condition, the bones become weak and brittle. Fractures are a common result of osteoporosis. Usually, symptoms or signs do not show up until the condition progresses to its advanced stages.
Since osteoporosis is usually irreversible and incurable, preventing the fractures is considered to be extremely important.
Who is at risk of osteoporosis?
All men and women have some risk of developing'thinning' of the bones (osteoporosis) as they become older, particularly over the age of 60. As mentioned above, women are more at risk than men. The following situations may also lead to excessive bone loss and so increase your risk of developing osteoporosis. If you:
Are a woman who had the menopause before 45 years of agehave already had a bone fracture after a minor fall or bumphave a strong family history of osteoporosis. Have a body mass index (bmi) of 19 or less (that is, you are very underweight) have irregular periodshave taken, or are taking, a steroid medicine (such as prednisolone) for three months or moreare a smokerhave an alcohol intake of more than four units per daylack calcium and/or vitamin d (due to a poor diet and/or little exposure to sunlight. Are mostly inactive
Ways to treat osteporosis
Osteoporosis in women can be treated using hormone replacement therapy (hrt). The therapy makes use of either a combination of progestin and oestrogen or simply, oestrogen. However, it is possible that certain combinations have side-effects that might give rise to other medical conditions. Therefore, proper consultation with an orthopedist is an essential pre-requisite so that the condition of osteoporosis as well the side effects may be addressed before proceeding with hormone replacement therapy.
There are a number of medications that can be used which have long-term effects on osteoporosis. However, the schedule for intake of these medicines should be followed diligently. Failing to adhere to the schedule could lead to serious complications. For example, the intake of risedronate medications (prevent bone loss) should be scheduled once every month, failing which can cause ulcers in the food pipe. Raloxifene has effects which are similar to oestrogen but does not exhibit any serious side effects. Teriparatide can be used to treat osteoporosis in people who have a high risk of suffering from bone fractures.
Don't rely entirely on medication as the only treatment for your osteoporosis. These practices also are important:
Exercise. Weight-bearing physical activity and exercises that improve balance and posture can strengthen bones and reduce the chance of a fracture. The more active and fit you are as you age, the less likely you are to fall and break a bone. Good nutrition. Eat a healthy diet and make certain that you're getting enough calcium and vitamin d. Being underweight or losing a lot of weight unintentionally is associated with poorer bone health and a higher risk of fracture — even if you're taking a bisphosphonate. Quit smoking. Smoking cigarettes speed up bone loss. Limit alcohol. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation. For healthy adults, that means up to one drink a day for women of all ages and men older than age 65, and up to two drinks a day for men age 65 and younger.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Ever wondered why some people fall ill more often than others? part of the reason is a poor immune system. The immune system is the body’s defense mechanism against all types of infections. There are a number of ways to strengthen one’s immune system. Here are 10 tips that could help:
- Eat probiotics: Contrary to popular belief, not all bacteria are bad. 80% of the immune system is in the gut. Keeping gut bacteria healthy can help boost the immune system. An easy way to do this is to have probiotics regularly. This could be in the form of probiotic supplements or probiotic food like curd.
- Eat enough: Many people cut back on the food being eaten in an effort to lose weight. While a low calorific intake can help you lose weight, this is not good weight loss. Not eating enough can reduce your energy levels and keep antibodies from reaching all the parts of the body.
- Sleep well: 8-10 hours of sleep every night is essential for a good immune system. This helps the body rejuvenate itself and improves the immune system’s ability to fight against infections.
- Drink some soup: Stock or broth made from animal bones can act as great sources of glutamine. This amino acid powers the immune system. Glutamine is also available in the form of supplemental tablets and powders.
- Get some sun: Exposing the body to sun light is the easiest way to replenish vitamin d levels. Another way to get your daily amount of vitamin d is through cod liver oil capsules.
- Drink plenty of water: Water not only helps hydrate the body, it also flushes toxins form the body. Ideally, one should drink 8-10 glasses of water each day.
- Quit sugar: Sugar increases the calorific intake but provides no nourishment. For this reason, these calories are also known as empty calories. Quitting sugar can help improve your overall health and boost the immune system.
- Quit alcohol: Like sugar, alcohol does not provide any nourishment to the body. Instead, it impairs the immune system’s ability to function and increases the risk of infections. Hence, it is best to quit alcohol.
- Use herbs and spices: Herbs and spices in your kitchen not only add flavour to your food but can also help strengthen the immune system. The most important herbs for the immune system include garlic, ginger, pepper and onions.
- Exercise: Lastly, exercise regularly. Exercise has many benefits including weight management, improved blood circulation and better immunity. If you do not have the time for an extensive workout, try incorporating exercise into your daily routine. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator.