Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pathologists in India. You will find Pathologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pathologists online in Parbhani and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Priya Prabhakar Rao Kulkarni
Submit a review for Dr. Priya Prabhakar Rao KulkarniYour feedback matters!
I am 49 years male. I am suffering from Knee Arthritis left leg. Doctors suggested me no to go for replacement surgery at this age. Bearable pain while walking.
I have both leg pains over 1year. When I wake up morning on that time pain increase after that pain decrease. What should I do now?
Swelling or edema of the legs and hands is a very common condition and can be due to various types and reasons. The medical term is peripheral edema, the arms and legs being the peripheries. It is often due to fluid retention and in some cases, could also be due to blockage of fluid movement or excessive fluid in the body.
It can also be sudden or gradual – swelling that happens suddenly is usually due to prolonged standing or walking which leads to poor venous return. Gradual swelling is more a cause for concern and implies underlying disease.
At a cellular level, there is leakage of fluid into the surrounding tissue, which causes puffiness. In order for the kidneys to maintain fluid balance, they accumulate more fluid, which gets into a vicious cycle with both intracellular and extracellular fluid accumulation.
There are many causes for edema, but the following could be specific to vascular issues.
- Prolonged sitting or standing: When there is long periods of inactivity due to sitting with feet down or standing, there is fluid accumulation in the feet. Over a period of time, it could also affect the valve function and worsen the condition, causing it to be a chronic issue. Let's take a look at some of the common causes:
- Pregnancy: The hormones lead to overall body fluid retention, and so feet swelling is very common with pregnancy. The good news is that it subsides soon after delivery.
- Blood clots in the legs can affect blood flow, leading to swelling
- Heart failure
- Varicose veins, where there is a vascular issue leading to swelling
- Liver cirrhosis, which causes ascites and feet swelling as the main symptoms
- Lymphedema: Any improper lymph circulation also leads to hand and feet swelling
- Any tumor or infection along the path of circulation can lead to fluid accumulation, due to impaired blood/lymphatic flow.
- Skin gets stretched, shiny, and loses hair
- There could be dimpling, where if the skin is pressed for about 10 seconds and released, it could take time to return to normal
- Stiffness of the surrounding joints
- Weight gain
- Fullness of nearby veins
- Increased blood pressure
Treatment: This would depend on the cause of the edema.
- In transient cases, lifting the legs up often helps in release of the edema.
- Underlying liver or heart conditions need to be treated to relieve the edema. Diuretics, which promote expelling of fluid from the body, are often used to reduce edema.
- The infection or tumor or growth along the path of the blood vessels tree needs to be treated either with medications or surgery.
- In cases where there are vascular issues, surgery may be required.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sir I am having leg pain since last2days & head pain please help me please give me suggestion what to do please reply I am waiting.
There are many structures in the lumbar spine that can cause pain. Any kind of trouble to the nerves and veins that goes through the spine, joint issues, the disks themselves, the bones and the muscles - would all be able to act as a cause behind the pain.
Numerous lumbar spine conditions are interrelated. For instance, an unstable joint can lead to disk degeneration, which can put weight on the nerve roots and cause the disk to collapse at times. The following are the main reasons behind the lumbar disk pain:
- Problems in the muscles: The biggest reason behind lumbar disk pain is muscle strain or other muscle issues. Strain because of truly difficult work, twisting, or different activities that can put pressure on your spine like heavy lifting, cause the disk to rupture or slip at times.
- Disk degeneration: Intervertebral disks are pads that are spongy and act as shock absorbers. This can cause pain in your disk. This condition can be referred to with many names, however, is famously known as degenerative disk disease.
- Lumbar Disk Herniation: Herniated disks are most common reasons behind the lumbar disk pain. A herniated disk may be caused all of a sudden because of damage to the spine or truly difficult work or happen gradually as a form of general wear and tear in the spine. Leg pain (sciatica) is the most widely recognized symptom of a herniated disk.
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction: The sacroiliac joint, which attaches to the base of the lumbar spine and the tip of the tailbone, can cause lumbar disk pain or even sciatic pain if there is any kind of fracture in the joint that allows for movement or rather, limits any particular movement.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis happens when one vertebra slips behind the other or underneath it. The slip most normally happens in the lower lumbar vertebrae (e.g. L4 –L5 or L5 – S1). In case that the slipped vertebra presses the nerve root at that point, it can bring about shooting leg pain and gradually foot pain as well.
There are certain ways in which this problem can be treated to a certain extent. These methods are as follows:
- Common medications: Muscle relaxants. This solution works as an anti-depressant of the nervous system and expands as well as relaxes the tense muscles, easing pain from muscle stiffness or fits
- Back supports: A few patients find that a back support can be used to bring comfort and gradually diminish the pain. There is some proof that using a brace every day, can speed up the healing process and lessen the pain. A back support may likewise be useful after back surgery.
- Back Braces: Epidural steroid infusion. This infusion includes a steroid inserted specifically into the external piece of the dural sac, which surrounds the spinal chord. An x-ray, called fluoroscopy, is utilized to control the needle in the right area. The objective of the infusion is to soothe the pain by decreasing irritation around a compressed nerve root. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.
Affecting your entire body, body ache is usually an indicator of a condition that requires your attention for the pain to stop or a reaction of your body's immune system to an infection. Understanding the symptoms and the cause of the pain is the first step towards getting the right treatment for your problem.
The causes of body ache can be any one of these:
- An increase in your body's lactic acid as a result of overused muscles (that you normally experience when you perform strenuous exercises) leads to body aches that are not severe but temporary in nature.
- Temporary body aches can also occur if you suffer from flu caused by the influenza virus and other medical conditions like fever and viral infections, among others.
- A cause of body aches can be the presence of a serious condition such as Lyme disease or pneumonia that brings about major infection affecting your entire body.
- Inflammation of body cells or damage to your body's nervous system in the form of chronic ailments like autoimmune diseases and psychiatric problems can also cause pains and aches to develop all over the body.
What can you do to manage it?
There are simple ways that you can employ to relieve your body aches based on the root cause and these are:
- If the cause of your body ache is the flu, the best way to alleviate your condition is to take a hot bath. The hot water works by eliminating the body pains you may be suffering from. Even a gentle massage can soothe the ache affecting your entire body.
- For body aches that are caused due to overused muscle, you need to apply ice packs for 2-3 weeks on the affected area to bring down the inflammation. Even the application of a heating pad can help in relieving body aches brought on by muscle soreness.
- Shoulder and neck pains can be easily prevented by performing simple exercises from time to time such as shoulder shrugs or head turns. Also, the practice of using wrist and forearm rests can reduce your chances of getting shoulder and neck aches.
- Reducing your stress levels can also help in effectively lowering the instances of body ache. From sleeping on time to meditating for about 20 minutes a day can help in lowering stress. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.