Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Psychiatrists online in Panchkula. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sachin Kaushik
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Management of Emergency Conditions
Manual Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sachin KaushikYour feedback matters!
Recently most of us were shaken by the death of the well-known television actress, Pratyusha Banerjee. Her sudden death has brought to light the very common yet under-addressed problem - Depression - that a number of youths are living with.
Most mental and emotional health issues are inconspicuous in nature and, therefore, cause more harm than they otherwise should, most people still live with a number of symptoms of depression without even realizing it or do little to address it. When the depressive symptoms last for more than 2 weeks and affect the individual's personal, social or occupational life, it is known as clinical depression or major depression. There is often a delay in opting for the treatment because of the social taboo associated with depression.
Although cases of depression can vary from an individual to the other, there are signs that one can look out for, to identify a depressed person:
- Low mood most of the time of day along with frequent crying spells
- Feeling of unworthiness and low self-respect are very common in a depressed person. Due to these feelings, the affected person may become very critical and disapproving about himself or herself.
- Lack of enjoyment and loss of interest in a depressed person makes them no longer derive pleasure from things that once gave him or her happiness.
- Exhaustion and insomnia are signs that one should look out for in a depressed individual. These are usually due to changes in sleep patterns, from sleeping a lot because of feelings of constant fatigue or due to instances of wakefulness.
- From indulging in comfort eating to losing the will to eat, predominantly loss of appetite characterizes a depressed person.
- Difficulty in recalling details and tendency to over generalize as also problem-solving issues can point to the presence of depression
- Unexplained bodily pains and aches are another characteristics of the condition.
What are the different types of depression?
Regarding the different forms of this mental health issue, it comes in several forms along with their distinct symptoms, effects, and causes. These are:
- Major depression
- Recurrent depressive disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Bipolar disorder
How can it affect your life?
More than 90% people who commit suicide suffer from some form of psychiatric illness and depression is the most common reason. The despair that usually accompanies depression makes the thought of taking one's life as the only means available to escape the pain. In addition to suicidal thoughts, it can also affect one's functioning in day to day life if help is not sought in time.
Depression is as curable as any other illness. Both medical management and psychotherapy are helpful in treatment. Type of treatment depends on patient's condition, the severity of illness as well as availability. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.
For last few days I am feeling burning sensation on the lower surface of my feet specifically in the evening. It gets increased when I feel anxiety. Is it an indication of some serious problem?
What happens when you are addicted to a chemical substance? You lose control of your life. It doesn’t matter what you are addicted to alcohol, nicotine or drugs the effects are the same. It is usually not easy to get rid of an alcohol and/or nicotine addiction. Most people find it difficult to give up these substances even after years in de-addiction therapy. Hence, it’s prudent to let Ayurveda, the ancient science of healing handhold us in getting rid of addictions.
Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These cigarette ingredients include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Perhaps this list of ingredients that are found in cigarettes is enough to make you want to quit smoking for good! - Lowell Kleinman, M.D., and Deborah Messina-Kleinman, M.P.H
Addiction - The Ayurvedic View
Ayurveda considers alcohol and nicotine consumed in large quantities as ‘Visha’ or toxic. According to Ayurveda, alcohol has the following properties-
- Light or Laghu
- Hot or Ushna
- Sharp or Tikshna
- Drying or Visada
- Rough or Ruksha
- Expensive or Vikaasa
- Swift or Aasuga
- Sour or Amla
- Subtle or Sookshma
These properties are all opposite to the qualities that ojas possesses. Ojas has all life-giving properties and alcohol and nicotine have life-negating qualities.
Why do humans get addicted to alcohol and nicotine?
Human brain produces Dopamine normally and what alcohol does is to activate the nervous system to promote dopamine formation. The brain thus remembers the taste of alcohol and nicotine by creating special cells called receptor cells. As a person increases the quantity of alcohol, these cells also increase in numbers. When the person wants to give up his addictions these receptor cells agitate and create withdrawal symptoms with unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms.
De-addiction - Ayurveda Way
De-addiction treatments in Ayurveda comprise the following:
- Purification therapies or Panchkarma: These are used for getting rid of all toxins present in the patient’s body. These must always be done under the supervision of an ayurvedacharya as they are quite potent. After Panchakarma, the patient is given vomiting therapy or Vamana, followed by purgative therapy or Virechana, Basti or enema therapy and administration of Nasya or nasal drops therapy. All these help in detoxifying the body and mind and prepare the patient for further de-addiction ayurvedic treatments like Rasayana therapies which nourish and strengthen the body after Panchkarma. For treatment of addictions, Rasayana treatments include changes in diet and use of oral herbal medicines both.
- Herbal medicines used in de-addiction: A range of herbal medicines and their combinations are used in the treatment of addictive problems in Ayurveda and these are to be consumed orally. Ayurveda prescribes Chamomile and Ashwagandha in combination to heal the lungs. These help in cleansing lungs of smoke- related problems. Doctors also prescribe congestion relieving herbs like ginger and pepper mixed with honey or lemon.
In addition, herbs to improve memory, concentration and to fight depression are also given. These are:
- Kanphool or dandelion
In addition, herbs to treat sleep disturbances like Jatamansi, Sarpgandha, Brahmi and Jaiphal are also prescribed. Since most addicts have impaired liver function, herbs that improve liver function like Aloe Vera, Punarnava, Long pepper, Kutki, Tulsi are given to revive the liver. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
Dear Sir/madam, I am 8 week pregnant now, we got confirmed by doctor in 6th week and prescribed cor 3 tablets daily once. After that some bleeding is observed, we rushed to doc for advice and she prescribed duphaston. Its almost a week I have been taking that medicine. But still occasional bleeding on regular basis is observed. We are worried about the situation, other symptoms are bloating, constipation, sleeplessness, abdominal pain. Please guide us.
Hello sir, My husband was drink alcohol too much in daily and me and my family members said but he don't listen. Please give suggestion to dead-diction of alcohol. Thank you.
What are the symptoms of of cancer? From five days I was suffering from wooophing cough is that a chance of cancer? I have habit of smoking.
- If you're basically healthy, get regular erections in your sleep and have normal lab results, chances are that your erectile dysfunction is due to psychological factors, such as performance anxiety, relationship issues or a mood disorder. Once serious mental conditions like depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety are ruled out, a sexologist can provide useful insight into your impotence. This form of treatment can be done individually or with a partner.
- Sex therapy focuses on promoting effective communication about intimacy, and learning techniques to improve sexual function. It may also involve take-home bedroom assignments.
- Erectile-dysfunction drugs are not tremendously effective for emotional impotence; however, taking oral medications in conjunction with counseling is becoming increasingly common, and does have a high success rate.