Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Panchkula and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pankaj Sharma
Treatment of Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Psoriasis
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of Eczema
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Cervical Problem
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Pankaj SharmaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Sciatica is a condition, which causes sharp pain to originate from the sciatic nerve. The pain affects the lower body, originating from the buttocks and moving downward through the thighs and into the leg. One other distinguishing feature of sciatica pain is that it either affects the lower left or lower right part of the body, but not both.
What are the causes of sciatica?
Here is a look at some of the primary causes of sciatica-
• Trauma to the sciatic nerve due to a rupture in the intervertebral disc
• Tumour in the region of the sciatic nerve
• Piriformis spasms in your muscle
Symptoms of sciatica
Pain in the lower body can be indicative of sciatica if the following conditions are met-
Panchakarma treatment for sciatica
Panchakarma is a specialized form of treatment within the Ayurvedic sphere of medicine. It encompasses five forms of therapies into one, which greatly benefits the patient. A mixture of remedies such as Swedana, Sarwang Abhyang, Agnikarma, Siravedha, Vashti and Raktamokshan is used to treat sciatica symptoms in patients.
Benefits of panchakarma treatment
Now that you know what Panchakarma treatment entails, here is a look at why you should consider Panchakarma over conventional medicine-
• Detoxifies both body and mind - While conventional medication simply treats the disease, Panchakarma ensures that you are cured both physically as well as mentally. Living with sciatica can be difficult. Undergoing Panchakarma treatment will rejuvenate your body and your spirit, which helps during the recovery period.
• Channels the flow of blocked energies - Panchakarma ensures that the ama or toxic energy in the body is released so that they do not cause harm to your mind and body. For example, excessive amounts of fat and cholesterol are one form of ama that your body stores. With Panchakarma, all of these excess energies are removed. Keep in mind that there are other toxic energies stored in your mind and body as well that are unrelated to cholesterol or fats, which too must be released.
Conventional medicines although can reduce the symptoms of sciatica, come with several side effects. Therefore, opt for Ayurvedic treatment and more specifically, Panchakarma treatment if you suffer from this condition.
Vitiligo is a medical condition, which causes the loss of skin color due to loss of pigmentation. This usually occurs in blotches and looks very unsightly. Vitiligo is very unpredictable and can affect any part of your body. In some cases it also affects the inside of the mouth, eyes, and hair. Vitiligo is more noticeable on people with darker skin tone.
Symptoms of Vitiligo:
- Premature graying or whitening of the hair in your eyebrows, eyelashes, scalp, and beard. This usually occurs before the age of 35.
- Skin discoloration can also occur from other parts of the body such as hands, feet, abdomen, neck and other areas.
- Change or loss of the color of the retina (inner layer on the eyeball).
- Discolored patches on and around the navel, rectum and genitals.
A medical disorder where your immune system destroys and attacks the melanin forming pigments in your skin. This is known as an autoimmune disorder and by far is the most common cause behind vitiligo. An event such as sudden or prolonged stress, sunburn, or being exposed to industrial chemicals. A history of family members or relatives having vitiligo in the past.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Vitiligo:
- Mustard and Turmeric Oil: A paste made with mustard and turmeric oil can be applied on the affected area. This is also good for the skin and reduces vitiligo. Do this at least 2 times a day to reduce the patches considerably.
- Duckweed: This is a type of water plant and is very rich in a mineral called lignin. It is considered a natural treatment for skin disorders and vitiligo. It will also help to restore your natural skin color.
- Sun screen: If you already have vitiligo, exposure in the sun can make it worse, so applying a sunscreen with SPF 30 or above (or an appropriate level of sunscreen protection) can protect your skin from further damage.
- Papaya: This fruit is great for restoring and reviving melanin (responsible for skin pigmentation). Drinking papaya juice or rubbing papaya on the affected area can reduce vitiligo to some extent
Acne is a common skin condition that starts to appear on the face because of hormonal changes in adolescence. The growth hormones become extra active because of which the oil glands begin to produce more oil, thereby resulting in acne breakouts.
Acne blemishes appear in the form of-
Almost everyone suffers from acne problems at least once in his or her lives. The best way to get rid of these is to turn to Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment. Ayurvedic treatments always strike at the root. It does not just affect you physically but also have an effect on your psychological wellbeing.
There are quite a few options when it comes to treating acne with the help of Panchakarma. Here is a list of Panchakarma remedies for acne-
• Swedana - Swedana is a herbal steam bath that works towards keeping the body heated. This result in the removal of physical, emotional and mental toxins stuck in your tissues.
• Abhyanga - This herbal oil massage deeply penetrates the skin, removes toxins and impurities and improves lymphatic and arterial circulation. It magnifies the capability of reaching the starved cells and thoroughly removes waste.
• Garshana - This type of treatment also seeks to remove impurities and toxins from the body by brushing the skin with a silk or wool glove. This cleans the skin by improving blood circulation so that herbal procedures can penetrate your skin better into the freshly cleansed pores.
• Udvartana - This type of an Ayurvedic treatment penetrates your skin through the herbal paste used for a lymphatic massage. It releases the stubborn lymphatic toxins from your skin by conditioning it and gives a boost of natural radiance to it.
Benefits of Panchakarma treatment for acne:
If you are feeling unsure about the ability of Panchakarma to treat your acne, then here is a look at a host of benefits it offers-
• Corrects digestive problems - If you suffer from digestive or intestinal problems, then having acne is a given. It is important that you release all the waste materials and toxins from your body, in order to achieve clear and glowing skin. Panchakarma can regulate and improve your bowel movements so that you do not have any unwanted toxins lodged into your tissues or skin.
• Reduces stress and tiredness - Fatigue and stress play a big part in causing and aggravating acne. However, Panchakarma is a powerful tool when it comes to improving physical and mental efficiency. Additionally, it also balances the nervous system. Having a sound body and mind can go a long way in ensuring that your skin remains acne-free.
• Powerful detoxifying tool - Panchakarma hails to be one of the best and powerful detoxifying tools for the body. It revolves around several cleansing procedures that are responsible for eliminating unwanted toxins from the body and restores the body’s natural healing capability.
Due to the advent of allopathic medicines, Ayurveda treatments have taken a heavy hit. However, Panchakarma is one such treatment, which you can go for with your eyes closed since there are no negative effects on the body. You can rest assured that your ailment is healed perfectly.
Allergic rhinitis is defined as allergic symptoms in the nasal passage. Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal (occurring during specific seasons) or perennial (occurring year round). The allergens that most commonly cause seasonal allergic rhinitis include pollens from trees, grasses and weeds, as well as spores from fungi and moulds. The allergens that most commonly cause perennial allergic rhinitis are house dust mites, cockroaches, animal dander and fungi or moulds. Perennial allergic rhinitis tends to be more difficult to treat.
How does allergic rhinitis occur ?
This condition occurs when allergens (allergy- causing substances) come into contact with the nose, and usually also the ears, sinuses, and the throat. When allergens come in contact with the lining of the nose and sinuses, they trigger the cells to release the chemical histamine, which causes the allergy symptoms described below.
What are the symptoms ?
- Nasal congestion
- Watery " runny nose"
- Itchy eyes,nose,or throat
- Puffy eyes or 'allergic shiners'
- Post nasal drip
These symptoms may occur during a certain season or year long. They can occur at any age.
Risk factors for allergic rhinitis
Allergies can affect anyone, but you’re more likely to develop allergic rhinitis if your family has a history of allergies. Some external factors can trigger or worsen this condition, including:
- cigarette smoke
- cold temperatures
- air pollution
- wood smoke
Ayurvedic concept of rhinitis:
As per Ayurveda, Allergic rhinitis is compared with Vata- Kaphaja pratishaya. The concept of Ama, Asatmya and virudh aahara also predict the allergic conditions.
Ama is the product of impaired digestion and metabolism. It affects Rasa and Rakta Dhatu leading to manifestation of Pratishyaya. Wrong food combinations (Virudh aahar) having antagonist properties like fish with milk, fruit juice with milk, clarified butter with honey, ice cream after night meals, etc. leads to allergy.
Ayurveda believes in balancing the three doshas present in the human body, thus treating the disease on the whole. Treatment involves clearing the sinuses and expelling phlegm, alleviating the relevant dosha and detoxification. To permanently resolve this disorder, dietary and lifestyle adjustments may be necessary in addition to the strengthening of the immune system. Panchakarma is an effective means of treating Allergic Rhinitis.
Ayurvedic treatment for allergic rhinitis:
- If the symptoms are severe and in chronic conditions, Vamana Panchakarma treatment, followed by Virechana is administered. This helps to relieve Ama and balance Tridosha.
- In some cases, where the patient has normal digestion strength, Nasya treatment (nasal drops therapy) is administered with herbal oils such as Anu taila or Shadbindu Taila.
- After the above Panchakarma treatments, Ayurvedic medicines are administered to improve respiratory immunity and strength of upper respiratory tract.
Useful Ayurvedic medicines in treating allergic rhinitis:
- Nimbarajanyadi tablet – Contains neem and turmeric as main ingredients.
- Chavikasavam – Fermented Ayurvedic liquid, also used in urinary tract disorders.
- Mahalaxmi Vilas Ras – Also useful in the treatment of skin diseases, diabetes, Sinus, non healing wounds, etc.
Other medicines: Narada lakshmi vilas rasa, Anand bhairava rasa, tribhuvan kirti rasa, shringarabharaka rasa, Mayur shringa bhasma, Abhraka bhasma, Lavangadi pills, Sitopaladi choorna, Marichayadi yoga, vyoshadi pills, Khadiradi pills are suggested.
- Take – Light food, lukewarm water, Kapha nashaka foods like little spicy food, saindhav salt, legumes, soups etc.
- Avoid – heavy food, fermented food, congestive food, too hot or too cold food, soar food, non vegetarian food, sweets, banana, curd, yogurt, ice creams, deserts, cakes, yellow grams, etc.
- Avoid Alcohol and cold beverages.
Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disorder. Although it is non-contagious, the disease is quite complex. Erythematous plaques with silvery scales appear on skin layers, which basically characterise the disease. This excessive increase of cell division in the basal layer of the skin, results in increased proliferation on skin layers.
The symptoms of psoriasis vary from person to person. Some of the common symptoms of psoriasis are the following:
- Raised, red patches of skin topped with loose, silvery scales, usually on the knees or elbows
- Thick, red patches known as plaques, and dry, silvery scales appearing on the scalp, face, elbows, knees, palms, and soles of the feet.
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Joint swelling, tenderness, and pain
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
Causes of Psoriasis According To Ayurveda
Acharya Charak has described the involvement of vata and kapha in ekkushtha or psoriasis. Accumulation of toxins or ama could also lead to this condition.
- Viruddha Aahar (Opposite diet or contradictory foods) and Mithya Ahara (Improper Diet)
- Excessive intake of yogurt, seafoods, salty foods, black gram and sour foods, spicy foods, fermented foods, maida (fine flour), and bakery products, junk foods and fast foods, refrigerated and cold foods may contribute to psoriasis.
- Mithya Vihara (Improper Lifestyle)
- An irregular lifestyle disrupts the digestive process and creates imbalance in the doshas.
- Adrista Hetu (Unknown Cause)
- Excessive Physical and Mental stress
- Leading a stressful life or too much consumption of alcohol and tobacco can also trigger psoriasis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis
Ayurvedic treatment of psoriasis includes counseling, lifestyle management, diet management and ayurvedic external and internal treatment. In the case of scalp psoriasis, shirodhara with proper oils is also a very effective treatment. Treatment may also include stress management, oral Ayurvedic medicines, immunomodulators for immunity, topical treatments, regular follow up appointments and yoga and meditation to relieve mental stress. The blend of natural herbs and elements, which are extremely beneficial for the health and skin. The panchakarma therapy in Ayurveda is strong enough to cure psoriasis effectively. The therapy includes a thorough detoxification of the whole body system and removal of all harmful toxins from body fluids. Thus the main aim is to purify the blood system and restore the digestive system in order to prevent the disease.
It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to adapt to this condition. Regular exercise is also very important. Yogic asanas and pranayam can help to keep the mind and body fit and healthy.
Few precautions for psoriasis patients:
- Psoriasis patients should say no to acidic food products like urad dal, radish, sesame, jaggery etc.
- Patients with psoriasis should practice yoga on a regular basis to prevent the disease.
- Psoriasis patients should not use chemical skin products. Instead, they should use natural cleansers like besan.
- Picking, scratching or peeling of skin should strongly be avoided.
- Usage of cotton clothes is recommended.
Here are some natural Ayurvedic home remedies, which are helpful for psoriasis patients:
- Cover the affected part with a banana leaf to fade the reddish patches.
- Soak 15 sesame seeds overnight in a glass of water and drink it early morning on an empty stomach.
- Consume half a glass of bitter gourd juice in the morning for 5-6 months.