Weight Management Counseling
Nutrition Assessment Service
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Asthma Treatment & Management
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Food Plan Preparation
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Child Nutrition Management
Healthy Heart Diet
Weight Management Treatment
Submit a review for Nutrition Diet ServicesYour feedback matters!
Are you a heavy drinker who has undergone a Weight Loss Surgery (WLS)? In this case, you need to limit your alcohol consumption as alcohol may have a different effect on you after undergoing a WLS. It is common for a person to get quickly inebriated after consuming alcohol on an empty stomach as alcohol takes a long time to pass through the stomach into the intestines, where the processing occurs. Hence, after having a WLS, the chance of this phenomenon increases because your stomach is made smaller and holds lesser food. This is common after a gastric bypass surgery or a gastric sleeve surgery. The effect of the alcohol is much stronger.
How it happens?
Alcohol gets partially metabolized in the stomach, but the processing which is undergone in the stomach is not enough for inebriation. The real processing takes place in the small intestine, when the stomach processes food. The small intestine’s opening remains closed most of the time in order to retain food in the stomach, so that the digestive juices can break it down. When the food is passed on to the small intestine, the gap is filled up by alcohol. The alcohol follows the food into the small intestine. A steady flow of alcohol is created, which is responsible for making us feel drunk. In gastric bypass patients, compared to normal people, the effect of alcohol is experienced faster and the level of alcohol in the blood gets enhanced.
Several changes occur in our body after a WLS and the changes keep on occurring as the weight reduces. The body becomes much more sensitive to small changes that occur. The body responds more to different smells and chemicals. Further, alcohol also cause health hazards. It is a carbohydrate having no nutritional value, which leads to an increase in weight.
After having a weight loss surgery, it is quite possible for many people to become alcoholic, in spite of not having any history of being an alcoholic. Chances are that a person who is already in the habit of drinking, will become more likely to develop the habit of drinking alcohol in excess. After a WLS, a person should be very careful about his or her drinking habits as drinking one or two glasses of wine may cause the same effect as that of drinking six to seven glasses. It is important to let close friends and family members know about the problem as they may be able to help you with proper control and management of alcoholism.
Diabetes is a complex group of diseases with a variety of causes. People with diabetes have high blood glucose, also called high blood sugar or hyperglycemia.
Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism, the way the body uses digested food for energy. The digestive tract breaks down carbohydrates, sugars and starches found in many foods, into glucose, a form of sugar that enters the bloodstream. Diabetes develops when the body doesn't make enough insulin or is not able to use insulin effectively, or both.
The two main types of diabetes are:
Type 1 Diabetes: Type 1 diabetes typically occurs in children and young adults, though it can appear at any age. In the past, type 1 diabetes was called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
Heredity plays an important part in determining who is likely to develop type 1 diabetes. Genes are passed down from biological parent to child.
Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older people who are also overweight or obese. The disease, once rare in youth, is becoming more common in overweight and obese children and adolescents. Type 2 diabetes is caused by a combination of factors, including insulin resistance, a condition in which the body's muscle, fat, and liver cells do not use insulin effectively.
Physical Inactivity, Obesity, and Diabetes: Physical inactivity and obesity are strongly associated with the development of type 2 diabetes. People who are genetically susceptible to type 2 diabetes are more vulnerable when these risk factors are present. About 80 percent of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese.
An imbalance between caloric intake and physical activity can lead to obesity, which causes insulin resistance and is common in people with type 2 diabetes. Central obesity, in which a person has excess abdominal fat, is a major risk factor not only for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes but also for heart and blood vessel disease, also called cardiovascular disease (CVD). This excess belly fat produces hormones and other substances that can cause harmful, chronic effects in the body such as damage to blood vessels.
So, measuring your waist is a quick way of assessing your diabetes risk. This is a measure of abdominal obesity, which is a particularly high-risk form of obesity. Women have a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes if their waist measures 80cm (31.5 inches) or more. Asian men with a waist size of 89cm (35 inches) or more have a higher risk, as do white or black men with a waist size of 94cm (37 inches) or more.
Simple Steps to Lower Your Risk: Making a few lifestyle changes can dramatically lower the chances of developing type 2 diabetes. The same changes can also lower the chances of developing heart disease and other life taking cancers.
- Control Your Weight: Being overweight increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes seven-fold. Being obese makes you 20 to 40 times more likely to develop diabetes than someone with a healthy weight. Losing weight can help if your weight is above the healthy-weight range. Check your BMI. Losing 7 to 10 percent of your current weight can cut your chances of developing type 2 diabetes in half.
- Get Moving and Turn Off the Television: Inactivity promotes type 2 diabetes. Working your muscles more often and making them work harder improves their ability to use insulin and absorb glucose. This puts less stress on your insulin-making cells.
- Tune Up Your Diet: Four dietary changes can have a big impact on the risk of type 2 diabetes-
Choose whole grains and wholegrain products over highly processed carbohydrates.
- Skip the sugary drinks, and choose water, coffee, or tea instead.
- Choose good fats instead of bad fats.
- Limit red meat and avoid processed meat; choose nuts, whole grains, poultry, or fish instead.
If you are already suffering from diabetes, then do take a walk everyday and adopt healthy eating habits. Along with that relieve your stress and take proper doses of insulin or medications as prescribed by your doctor.
No matter how much precaution or care you take, diseases are inevitable. With different diseases, a number of different mode of treatments are also available. Allopathy and homeopathy are the two most important and critical modes of treatment. Allopathic treatment administers the use of medicines (Antibiotics) and surgeries to treat a disease. Homeopathy, on the other hand, has a more natural and holistic approach. Be it serious or minor, homeopathic treatment is effective against all kinds of diseases. Homeopathy cannot cure a disease overnight. It tries to get to the root cause and the various factors (physical, mental and social) that influence a particular disease.
In case of allopathy or antibiotics, many diseases are dealt with at a very superficial level. The side effects of antibiotics are known to all. In some cases, the side effects can do your body more harm than the disease itself. Antibiotics often provide instant, but temporary relief.
The goodness of homeopathic treatment lies in the fact that it comes with zero or negligible side effects. Most of the homeopathic medicines are prepared from herbs. Homeopathic treatment, however, can be time consuming. A little wait for a sound health is not a bad deal at all. Almost all the homeopathic medicines are FDA approved and recognised. Thus the medicines can be taken without any doubt and hesitation. Of late, more and more people are choosing homeopathy over antibiotics. Some of the common diseases which are best treated with homeopathy are -
- Pulsatilla: Some people suffer from mood swings. They experience strong emotions and at times feel neglected and unwanted. Pulsatilla, commonly known as Windflower, helps to soothe a person immensely. The medicine is particularly helpful for women and children suffering from infections. Cough and cold can be frustrating and annoying. In some cases, the situation aggravates at night. The mucous appears to be thick, with a yellowish or greenish yellow colour. With Pulsatilla, cough and cold will be a thing of the past.
- Aconitum: Respiratory infections, ear infections, influenza, or sore throat can be quite unnerving. The associated symptoms include fever, difficulty in swallowing, a feeling of restlessness and extreme thirst. If not treated, the diseases can bring your life to a standstill. Under such circumstances, Aconitum comes as a blessing. Also known as Homeopathic Vitamin C, Aconitum is a very effective medicine against these infections.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is the best homeopathic medicine to deal with throbbing and excruciating ear pain. Also known as the Deadly nightshade, Belladonna is highly recommended for the other common infections as well. Some females experience cramps, nausea and motion sickness during menstruation. Belladonna provides great relief.
The benefits of homeopathy are accepted worldwide. If you want a permanent relief from diseases, homeopathy is all that you need.
I am 37 years old .married. I have belly how to reduce my belly fat. Before marriage I don't have belly. Kindly give your valuable suggestions to reduce belly fat.
I want to about the diabetes. People say we can control it by keeping sugar beside. Is it true. Somewhere sugar is necessary for our body.
A 30 year old female patient has persistent swelling in both arms and both legs since past 6 months. The reason for this problem is not yet known. It is also not known which line of doctors needs to be consulted in this regard. Earlier she complaint about trembling in hands, fainting for 15 to 60 minutes, which is not repeating now. She also suffered low blood pressure occasionally. Want to know the right treatment for the problem. CBC, LFT, KFT tests are found to be normal and the cause of swelling in both arms and legs remain undiagnosed.
Hello doctors. I am 25 year old boy my problem is I eat excessive amount of non veg food. Means all days in week I eat in lunch nd also sometimes in night also I mostly eat chicken and fish but all are home made curry nd gravy. Will this lead to any kind of diseases in future to me? Thanks.
My weight is 95 kg and my height is 5'10. I am in office kind of job but I do have a 5 km walk 5 times a week. No Gym exercise as I have 3 back bone compression fracture which I had before 3 year. I am having very light diet but still not losing weight even I am getting weak as Not having full diet. I want to reduce Atlest 10 kg and bring my weight to 80-85 kg. What's should I do AMD what exercise I can do and what diet should I follow.
I have a desk job and in the last 2 year, my weight has gone up from 84 to 93 kgs. I want to lose my weight. please help.
I have a desk job and in the last 2 years, my weight has gone up from 65 kgs to 75 kgs. I want to lose weight, please help.
Flu is caused by a virus known as influenza and is a common respiratory disease. It is typically caused from the month of October to May. Some of the common symptoms include fatigue, runny nose, fever, cough, muscle ache, sore throat, body ache, etc.
The flu vaccination helps to protect from influenza. The effect generally lasts for a year. It is recommended that an individual takes this vaccination once in a year since the strain of the virus keeps changing every year. Flu vaccine comprises of an egg-based technology.
Who Can catch flu?
Anyone can get a flu vaccination. Children above the age of 6 months or more are eligible to get a flu vaccination. In addition, the person who has a severe outbreak of allergic reaction due to the flu vaccination should also stay away from this.
Pregnant women can also get this vaccination without any worry about the baby. They not only safeguard the mother, but protect the child from influenza too. Adults who are more than 65 years old can take this vaccination without worrying. Patients with an acute allergy should consult their doctors before taking a flu shot.
Are there any side effects?
Although most people do not feel a thing after the flu shot, some might experience mild symptoms, such as redness of the area where the vaccine has been injected, mild body aches, soreness, redness and fever. Other serious side effects include allergic reaction resulting in soreness and very high fever. A doctor or healthcare personnel should be immediately contacted in such an instance.
Can flu shot cause flu?
This is totally a myth. A flu vaccine doesn’t result in the flu. The virus content of the flu vaccine doesn’t contain any live virus that can potentially trigger an outbreak of flu in the body. They are noninfectious in every sense of the word. It takes a couple of weeks for the flu vaccine to build immunity in the body. A person might get affected during this time if he comes in contact with an infected person.
Confusing flu with similar symptoms:
Common symptoms of flu such as nausea, vomiting, sneezing, body ache and fever can be symptoms of an entirely different disease such as diarrhoea. Until the tests are conducted and the doctor gives an assured verdict of flu, it is unwise to take a flu vaccination based on gut feel and mere speculation.
When is an ideal time to take flu vaccine?
There is no right or wrong time of taking a flu shot. It is seriously infectious and can catch hold of a person at any time. The right time to take a flu shot is now. It is readily available over the counter and can be injected at any time of the year.
Type 2 diabetes (T2DM) is a chronic metabolic disorder that prevents the body from processing sugar or glucose. The disorder causes insufficient production of the hormone Insulin (responsible for regulating sugar into the different parts of your body); or the body's failure to respond to the hormone produced. Although no cure is available for T2DM, there are several ways in which you can help prevent Type 2 diabetes in your child. These are:
1. Get your child to indulge in some physical activity - Spending about 60 minutes of the day on physical activity can help your child to ward off Type 2 diabetes. In terms of screen time, it shouldn't be over 2 hours a day. By doing so, he or she ends up building his or her muscles as well as gets rid of extra fat from the body. An active life would also help your child to maintain an optimal body weight with obesity being a cause of this form of diabetes. Whether it's a sport like swimming, cricket or basketball, or even walking and dancing, physical activity in any form can help in preventing your child from developing Type 2 diabetes.
2. Plan a well-balanced diet for your child - Encouraging your child to have healthy foods and making right food choices can also lower his or her chances of getting this metabolic disorder. Foods high in fiber like whole grain cereals and bread, lentils, fruits, and vegetables should be consumed. Similarly, foods low in trans and saturated fats like lean meat, chicken, yogurt and cheese should be included in your child's diet. Processed foods, as well as sugary drinks, should be no-no when it comes to your child's diet.
3. Adopting proper eating habits - It is not only making the right food choices that are important but eating right as well is vital for preventing the onset of diabetes. Having meals with fix portion sizes is a habit that you need to develop in your child. Ideally, half the plate should be filled with vegetables and fruits; a quarter with lean protein like chicken; and the remaining with whole grain. To accompany the meal, make your child have one cup of no-fat or low-fat milk. Desserts like ice cream and cookies should be allowed only once or twice a week.
With cosmetic surgery, today, it is possible to reshape the contours of your face anyway you like. Rhinoplasty is one of the most common types of cosmetic surgeries. This is a surgery to restructure the shape and size of your nose. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia. Depending on the amount of restructuring needed, the surgery can be performed as an outpatient procedure or may require an overnight stay at the hospital.
To change the structure of the nose, the surgeon makes an incision on the nose to access the bones and cartilage. This incision can be made inside the nose to keep the scar from being visible after surgery. Depending on how the nose is to be structured, bone and cartilage may be removed or tissue from another part of the body may be added. Once this is done, skin and tissue is re-draped over the bone structure. A splint is added outside the nose to support it while it heals.
This splint and internal dressings remain in place for about a week. The area around your nose and eyes will also feel swollen and appear bruised. This swelling and bruising will take at least a fortnight to subside. The swelling may make your nose feel congested and cause slight bleeding and drainage of mucus. Cold compresses and pain medication can help relieve the discomfort.
Here are a few other tips to help speed up the healing process:
- Keep your head elevated and relatively still for a few days after the surgery
- Take bucket baths instead of showers while the nose is bandaged
- Avoid blowing your nose
- Avoid making extreme facial expressions
- Limit movement of the upper lip by brushing your teeth gently
- Eat fiber rich foods to avoid constipation
- Avoid wearing clothes that need to be pulled over your head and instead wear front closing clothes
- Avoid strenuous activities like aerobics and jogging
- Do not wear sunglasses or spectacles that put pressure on your nose for at least a month
- Protect your nose from the sun by using sunscreen whenever outdoors
- Limit your salt intake
To be completely satisfied with the results of your rhinoplasty surgery, will require patience. It can take a few months for the cartilage and tissues to settle into place. It is also necessary for you and your doctor to be aligned as to the kind of correction needed.
Persistent fatigue can be a symptom of an underlying disease. Fatigue refers to the feeling of weakness, tiredness and constant lack of energy. Fatigue can be an underlying symptom of weight loss, diarrhea, vomiting, chest pain, muscle weakness and depression.
Fight fatigue in the following ways:
1. Consistent physical activity can actually help by enhancing well-being, balance, endurance and weight loss. Exercises help release ‘endorphins’ in the brain that help reduce stress.
2. A nap in the afternoon can help you fight the day long stress.
3. Be careful with your medications: While few medicines such as aspirin can help with the management of fatigue, it is best to avoid fatigue fighting drugs. Review their side effects properly, lest they might add to your fatigue.
4. People bowed down with fatigue may experience more exhaustion in scorching climatic conditions. These methods would really help you to calm down. For instance turning on the air conditioning during the summer months, putting on light cotton clothes or a cooling vest, consuming cold beverages, swimming or taking a cold shower may rejuvenate you for the day.
5. You can also opt for physical or occupational therapies to help combat stress and fatigue. In occupational therapy, a trained professional helps you to simplify work, at home or even at the office, so that you can manage all work and yet stay do not feel bogged down by stress. In physical therapy, an expert aids you in performing the routine physical chores more effectively.
6. One of the most vital ways to manage stress and fight fatigue is to get sufficient sleep every day. Clocking 8 hours of sleep will give your body and mind the required energy to function optimally the next day.
7. A balanced diet with all the necessary nutrients can go a long way in managing stress and fatigue. Also, a cup of coffee will also give you your daily nicotine fix that can help you stay alert and rejuvenated.
There are many myths surrounding fat and weight loss today. From fad diets to exercises that promise to burn fat in no time at all, the Internet is flooded with material and information that can confuse people. So here is our list of facts and myths regarding fat loss.
Starving: This one is a big myth! Do not starve as this will only make your body store fat from whatever little you may be ingesting. Also, such habits will weaken your bone and muscle strength in the long run.
Snacking: Avoiding snacks for fat loss is a myth. You need to divide your meals into smaller portions for faster fat loss, which means one or two of those meals could actually be snacks. But a snack which comes in the form of a bag of chips is a bad news. So get a salad or almonds for a snack instead.
Carbs: If you have come to believe that all carbs are bad, then you need a reality check. This one is a major myth. The body requires nourishment above all else, and this includes some amount of carbs. While having a cheese burger is a big no, having a potato salad minus the heavy cream dressing is actually a good idea and will give your body plenty of energy. Get the drift?
Calories: While you may have been led to believe that certain kinds of food can burn calories, this is actually a myth. The reality is that there are different kinds of calories and you must choose food that is high in fiber so that the metabolic system gets a boost. Food like oats which come with high dietary fiber can actually help push the food out of your digestive system, faster and more effectively.
Eating Right and Exercising: Many people believe that eating right and exercising are the best ways to banish fat from your life - forever. This is a myth. After a certain age, the metabolism does slow down. Eating right and exercising as a matter of routine helps in avoiding a sudden and massive weight gain. Above all, your diet and exercise should be flexible so that you can accommodate a slowdown without piling on fat.
The fat loss journey is one that is based on a consistent system of eating right and staying within a routine. So avoid myths and get yourself a well nourished, active and well rested body.