So, what exactly is ADHD and why is it important to you?
ADHD means Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. So the name itself is self explanatory. So in ADHD there are three major components. One, is inattention. Other is hyperactivity and the last is, impulsivity. Early diagnosis and management of ADHD is very important or else it can ruin your child’s academic or career. So the first symptom of ADHD is inattention. Inattention is not noticeable until the child goes to school.
Most of the time inattention could be neglected at home. In inattention the child might be procrastinating the things, not completing the task, switching from one uncompleted task to another uncompleted task, unable to complete both the tasks. So symptoms can be disorganized, bahut messy rahega child, bilkul he cheezein yahan wahan padi hui hai, systematically kuch dhang se kaam nahi ho pa raha hai use. Then he is not able to focus on certain topic. Teacher padha rahi hai toh ye choti si awaz aayegi toh uska dhyaan wahan jayega, teacher jo padha rahi hai who likh nahi payega theek se, small small mistakes he’ll make, likhte hue bhi ek word gayab ho jayega, ek word mein kahin ek letter gayab ho jayega, kabhi kabhi cheexein bhool kar aane – bhoolna, forgetfulness is also a very common symptom. Pen bhoolke aayega, pencil bhool ke aayega, eraser bhool ke aayega, kabhi kabhi tiffin, kabhi water bottle bhool kar aayega. This is very common.
- Inattentiveness mein ek aur bhi chhez hai jaise ki aap usko bulaoge toh ek baar mein woh aapke taraf dhyaan nahi de payega. You have to call him multiple times. “Arre beta mein ne kitni baar bola, kitni baar mein aap ko yeh sab sunaya. Agar usko aap kuch kaam bolte ho, jaise teen se chaar cheezein ek saath bolte ho toh who saare teen chaar kaam ek saath dhyaan mein nahi rakh pata hai. Koi na koi cheez hundred percent bhoolega. Yeh inattention mein bahut common hai.
- Second one is hyperactivity. Hyperactivity mein child is very hyper, not able to sit in one place, constant fidgeting, squirming in their seat, fidgeting means kuch na kuch movement chalu rahega – haath ka, per ka, kuch na kuch – bina hile beth nahi sakta baccha. Isko bolte hai constant fidgeting and squirming in the seat. Kuch nahi rahega toh seat pe he idhar udhar apne aap mein hona. Yeh sab who baccha aapko karte hue dikhai dega. Hyperactivity mein aur ek cheez, you feel as if uss ke andar motor fix kiya hai, continuously on the move, unable to stop at all.
- The next thing we can see is trouble playing quiet games like Chess or pursuing quiet hobbies, he can not do that. Then, talks excessively, bahut zyada baat karna ki usko stop karna mushkil ho jata hai. And in adult and teenage, this hyperacticity can be seen in the form of inner restlessness. Who andar se restless feel hota hai unko. You may not see that hyperactivity physically but that inner restlessness is there.
- So the third part is impulsivity. Impulsivity is when the child is impatient. He cannot wait for his turn. Queue mein agar khara hai, toh “Arre mera number kyun nahi aa raha hai hai, kyun mein itne der se khara hoon.” If you ask him a question, before completion of the question he will blurt out the answer. “Teacher answer yeh hai, teacher yeh hai.” He can make multiple mistakes for that. Frequently interrupts others. Do bade baat kar rahe ho toh baat khatam hone tak rukega nahi, beech mein aa ke aap ko disturb karega. Aap ko lagega har baccha aisa karta hai but hamesha agar bacha karta rahe toh this is a sign of ADHD.
Kabhi kabhi agar kar raha hai toh it’s okay, jab usko urgency rahega, jab usko kahin jaa na rahega. Starting conversations at inappropriate times is also a sign of ADHD.
So ADHD manage karna kyun zaroori hai?
ADHD mainly do components ko bahut zyada affect karta hai. One is academic and other is socialization. Toh academics mein kaise ADHD kaise harm kar sakega? For example, if your kid has an IQ jisse use ninety percent marks aa sakte hai aaram se but if he is not able to pay attention aur woh studies mein focus nahi kar payega, attention nahi de payega teacher kya padha rahi hai, books mein kya likha hua hai, toh who padhke apne brain mein register nahi kar payega. So attention is first required for registration. Then, again, when he wants to recall it, tab bhi use dimaag shant rakh ke recall karna padta hai. Tab bhi use recall karne ke liye attention chahiye. Toh jo ninety percent ka baccha hai agar usko ADHD hai, according to the severity of ADHD, he can slip down to sixty percent, fifty percent, or forty percent. So aaj kal ki zindagi main ek ek marks ke liye bhi bahut tagra competition hai, you know that. Agar ye competition mein itna agar bacche ka performance kum ho gaya toh this is very dangerous for the career of your child. So time pe ilaaj hona zaroori hai. Doosra behviour mein, socialization mein farak dikhta hai. Agar mein kahin galti karta hoon ya mujhse koi galti hoti hai aur woh mere parents ko, mere teachers ko pasand nahi aayi toh I should be attentive ki mein uss cheez ko dhyaan mein rakhu. Dhyaan mein rakhne ke liye mujhe attention chahiye, “Arre haan mummy ne last time aise bola tha, mummy ko ye pasand nahi aaya tha, teacher ko who cheez pasand nahi aayi thi”. Yeh mere dimaag mein register hona chahiye, yeh register hone ke baad mein jab next time kaam karoonga, tab mujhe who samajh mein ayega ki “arre haan, nahi last time yeh galti kiya tha, mummy ko pasand nahi aaya tha, ab yeh nahi karna chahiye.” But yeh attention he mere paas nahi rahega toh wahi galtiyan mein roz karoonga. Kal bhi maine maar khaaya tha, aaj bhi mein maar khaaonga, aur parso bhi mein maar khaane wala hoon. So this is a part and parcel of life ho jaata hai, aur wahi wahi galtiyaan repeat hoti hai. Toh patient khud ke ilava kissi aur ke bare mein soch nahi pata. Toh woh socialization mein kaafi peeche pad jaata hai.
Is ke treatment part mein kya aata hai?
First is Occupational Therapy jiss mein child ka hyperactivity kaafi hadh tak kum hota hai. Second is parenting techniques ki baccho ko behavioural therapy mein daal kar ke kaise uska parenting kiya jaaye. And third one is medicines. Medicine is a very important part of therapy. Most of the parents ask us ki arre itne chote bache ko medicines chalu karenge, kuch side effects hoga toh, kuch problem hua toh? Minor side effects medicines ke rehte hai but those side effects can be managed with proper consultation. Aur yeh medicines baccho ke liye he banaya gaya hai toh baccho ko yahi dena padega. Baccho ko sardi khaasi ho gaya, baccho ko bukhar aa gaya tabh aap bolte ho ki baccho ko medicine nahi dena chahiye? Agar who baccho ke liye banaya gaya hai toh who baccho ko he dena padega. So hope this discussion is helpful for you and please be proactive and seek help.
Don’t let ADHD destroy your child’s future. For more information, you can contact me on www.lybrate.com.
Thank you very much!
Briefing on masturbation, semen and sex education
1st myth is about masturbation, most of the patients ask me that, 'Is masturbation wrong?' Or is it hazardous to health? Masturbation se weakness aata hai kya? My answer to that is NO. Masturbation is a healthy way to release your sexual tensions, provided that you do it in a hygienic way, you should not harm your sexual parts during masturbation, and it should not be the only way to sexual satisfaction or you should not prefer masturbation over sexual act.
The second most common myth is, 'does sex cause weakness or decrease your physical stamina'. Most of my patients ask that agar kuch performance hai, sports performance hai toh use pehle sex nahin karna chahiye kya? Aur kuch din sex nahin karengey ussey pehle toh hamara performance badh jayega kya taqat zyada rehgi kya? Answer to this is no, sex does not decrease your physical stamina or performance on the contrary like exercise it can increase your physical stamina, and mental health as well as physical health.
Some patients also ask that, 'What if you feel weak or tired after sex?' I say, After exercise also you feel some weakness or some tiredness, but that only increases your further stamina but does not make you weak as a person. So like exercise after sex you can feel weakness, but that is a healthy weakness.
The next most common myth my patients come with is 'whether you should not lose your semen at all?' or semen is very precious thing and 'should you preserve your semen?'. They say doctor please give me some medicines to preserve my semen. My answer is semen is a fluid like any other body fluid, majorly 2/3 glands secret semen by vesicles and prostrate glands. So these glands work continuously 24/7 to produce semen and this produced semen should go out of body within 2/3 or 4/5 days. So its not that semen is very precious and you shouldn’t lose it. There are many misconceptions like “ek boond dhat ka aur sau boond khoon ka” which is a completely false thing. Semen is like any other body secretion, who banta hai toh body ke bahar nikalni chahiye. So nothing wrong in losing it.
Other misconceptions patient come with is the size of penis, most patient ask me ki normal size kya chahiye? Mujhe size badhane ka kuch dawa do so that I can give pleasure to my wife, keep one thing in mind that only upper one third that is 3 cm of vagina is sensitive after that there are no sensation in vagina. 3 cm ke upar agar apka penis raha toh usse vagina se senses nahin aatey hai, matlab 3 cm ka aagey jo part hai who apke female partner ko feel nahin hota hai sex ke dauran. So there is no truth in more size gives more pleasure, and this is proven by many experiments.
Last myth I will talk about is 'whether sex education can ruin a child’s behavior?', or the child can be ruined by early sexual education. First of all I want to clear that sexual education of child doesn’t mean teaching him act of sex. Sex education to children under 5 years means teaching the child what a bad touch is and what a good touch is, and how to differentiate between a bad touch and a good touch because most common sexual abusers are near ones or relatives of that child. So child should be aware about what is good touch, what is bad touch and how to prevent bad touch. Secondly when they are in pre-teen age the children should be aware of puberty changes in body. Like breast changes in female, menstrual cycle initiation in female, or in males the pubic hairs or increase in penis size. Because if he or she is not aware about these changes there can be certain trauma in them. Like if there is some 13 year old girl, she is not aware about menstrual cycle and she suddenly starts bleeding she will be very much fearful that she is bleeding from her private parts and that will be traumatic for her, so sexual education is very important for teenage. Also post teenage or teenage practices about safe sex preventing self sex methods as well as use of condoms and very important to avoid sexually transmitted diseases as well as unwanted pregnancy.
For further consultation and queries please contact me through Lybrate.com.read more
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Management of Emergency Conditions
Manual Therapy Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Vikas DeshmukhYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I visited for Depression Treatment. He has a gentle manner and a calm atmosphere at the clinic which puts me in a safe space and allows me to talk about my issues. The doctor listened to all my issues , did not interrupt and so allowed me to freely speak about all my problems. His diagnosis was accurate and the prescribed medicines are improving my quality of life. I would definitely recommend him to other patients facing psychiatric illness.
I remember, I read an article of Dr Vikas in the paper and made contact. I consulted him as I wa ssufferingf rom masterbation addiction. In the very first sitting, he clearly told us the problem and the what the treatment procedure will be in future. Never once that I felt that he is getting impatient, rather he has always responded to my each and every doubt with immense patience. I am quite benefitted with the treatmnet given by him.
After my visit to dr Vikas Deshmukh at his clinicManovikas Clinic which is located at Navi Mumbai, I told him about my sexual condition of not able to control myself from performing daily sexual activities even in public places. He understood my condition and provided me with my condition and provided me with Abnormal Behavior Treatment, his experience and advice has helped me extreamly to get over my obsession.
I was having premature ejaculation. I found the Manovikas Clinic itself quite pleasant. I have had this premature ejaculation from quite some time. Finally with his treatment, I am completely cured from the disease. Everything was just spick and span in the Manovikas Clinic. He is one of the best physicians in city. Dr Vikas Deshmukh with great ease handled my case.
Thanks to Dr Vikas, I am totally satisfied with the results. I consulted him as I was suffering from Male sexual problem. He definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases. I was panicked, because I never thought I will suffer from male sexual problems like this but now I am completely fine.
While taking anger management therapy from dr Vikas Deshmukh I had a great experience. I think he is a thorough professional. I am glad I decided to get help and he always gave me the confidence that I could depend on him when I needed help. He can be consulted at his clinic Manovikas Clinic in Mumbai
My visit with dr Vikas Deshmukh at MGM Hospital in Navi Mumbai was beneficial for my well-being. He’s very considerate about his patient’s emotional health and provides treatment accordingly and suggests valid details of the issue.
A friend of mine referred to Dr Vikas as I was suffering from Male sexual problem. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. His guidance has helped me immensely with my situation.Thanks to him I am much better now.
Gone are the days when a man is only attracted towards a woman and vice-a-versa. In today's fast changing scenario one can experience physical attraction towards anyone. With the ever widening spectrum of definitions attached to gender and sexuality, we acquaint ourselves with an enormous range of gender notions and understandings pertaining to sexuality. Gone are the days of the water-tight polarities of male and female bodies and their mutual attractions. The society is by and large opening up to the possibility of sexual attractions besides and beyond the normative bounds of heterosexuality or so we hope.
- One of the most significant struggles of contemporary times is the quest for acceptance and acknowledgement of queer identities and breaking all the discriminatory stigmas attached to them. While one cannot really be inveigled into advocating one form of sexuality over the other, the main argument of the movement is to allow anyone and everyone to freely express and exercise their sexual affinities and identities beyond the restrictions of sex, gender, class, caste, race or any such constructed categories.
- Amidst the struggle for championing the cause of free love, there are certain nuances about one's sexuality that have emerged as discrete identities within the larger understanding of the LGBTQ movement.
- Among the others, Pansexuality is relatively a more incipient concept.
- Unlike bisexuality, which conforms to the conventional gender definitions, i.e. male and female and professes attraction to both or either, pansexuality is a more inclusive expression of sexuality wherein one feels attracted to anyone, irrespective of one's sex or gender identity. Pansexuality vouches for strong sexual feelings for those who may not identify with a specific gender and consequently, includes transgender and transsexuals within its purview.
- A pansexual is never inhibited or restricted by a person's gender or sex. Initially coined by Sigmund Freud to describe the basis of human interactions in purely sociological terms, the term was later adopted by the LGBTQ activities to describe the group of people whose sexual predispositions were not delineated by gender constructs. For a pansexual, there is a lurking and consistent possibility of getting attracted to anybody at any given situation. Numerous celebrities like Laci Green and Miley Cyrus are explicitly pansexual.
- However, the pansexual community is constantly plagued by myriad indignities and disgraces. Many have labelled them debauch and promiscuous while others try to sympathize with them perceiving them as led awry and confused. In fact one of the major misconception with regard to pansexuality is that it is synonymous to bisexuality. Yet others deride this claim by stating that it is merely a modern fad with no genuine basis.
- Like it or not, pansexuality is a reality, relevant to a lot of our lives. In fact, it secularized love to an unprecedented extent and really lets nothing come in the way. In a world strewn with hostility, hatred and violence, if a sizeable number wishes to advocate indiscriminate and unhindered love, it surely bodes happiness for all.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
There are certain events which give your husband an instant erection and drive him to the point of becoming frisky and horny. These might be completely normal situations in your everyday life but, they are appealing to him and make him frisky.
Here are a few situations, which make your husband frisky:
The scent of your perfume: Women perfumes are designed to be seductive, which is why catching a whiff of it can tease your man and can make him horny. If it’s a strong and recognisable aroma, he is bound to follow it and playfully cuddle you.
Consuming aphrodisiacs: Everyone is aware of the fact that consuming aphrodisiacs improves a person’s sex life, but very few people know that eating a slice of a pumpkin pie or an oyster can actually turn you on. If you’re man has indulged in any kind of aphrodisiac, it usually turns him on and makes him horny.
The red dress: Looking at you dolled up in a fitting, red dress is enough to turn a man on and run his fingers all over you. A study shows that red (and shades of red) are closely related to arousal and seduction.
When you put on his shirt: A man finds it incredibly sexy when his partner chooses to throw on his shirt in the morning or after sex. A study conducted recently proved that a man is more turned on by a woman wearing his shirt than her wearing provoking lingerie. Thus, if you are wondering what’s making him horny, it’s you wearing his clothes.
Nerdy antics: Men find nerdy antics about women incredibly arousing and stimulating. You might be hooked to your computer screen, but just a glimpse of you passionately working is enough to make him frisky.
Acarophilia: Acarophilia is a kind of paraphilia that sexually arouses a person when the other person scratches his/her back. Thus, if you scratch his back playfully, it might just turn him on without you even knowing about it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
One of the effects of pregnancy is lowered libido. Pregnancy can tire out a woman and put a hold on her relationship with her partner. Even after the baby is born, a woman may not feel inclined to have a sexual relationship with her partner. Though this is normal, it can lead to problems in your relationship. Hence it becomes important to put in an effort towards maintaining intimacy with your partner in a relationship. Here are a few ways to keep the spark alive:
Find alternative ways of staying close: Having intercourse when you have no desire for it makes it a chore. Instead of having sex for the sake of it, find other ways to be intimate. For example, you could take a shower together or massage each other. Being physically intimate can also be as simple as holding hands or touching your partner when you walk past them. A quick hug before leaving the house for work in the morning is also a good idea.
Communicate openly: A woman is not the only person hesitant about sex when pregnant or caring for her newborn. Men may also feel hesitant to initiate sex in the fear of hurting his woman. Many men also become extra gentle with regards to their partner when she is pregnant. Hence, it becomes important to communicate openly and share your feelings and thoughts. Do not be afraid to tell your partner when you feel uncomfortable about your body or when your libido surges suddenly.
Do something together: It is easy to get overwhelmed with preparing for a baby or looking after one. However, it is important to set some time aside for an activity that both of you can do together. It could be as simple as drinking a cup of tea together in the morning, solving a crossword puzzle or watching a television show at before going to bed. The idea is to give each other attention for at least a little time every day.
Accept the changes: A woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes when she is pregnant. Do not fight against these changes but accept them as they are and roll with it. Be prepared for breast milk to leak or for a little urinary incontinence. This is normal. It may help to dim the lights while having intercourse or putting down a rubber sheet over the bed. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sex is supposed to be enjoyable but it isn't always the case. If you are too preoccupied wondering about your physical appearance and you ability in bed, sex may make you feel more stressed than relaxed. This is known as sexual performance anxiety and can even get to a point where it makes you avoid sex altogether.
There may be many reasons for performance anxiety. Some of these are:
- Fear that you will not be able to satisfy your partner sexually
- Lack of self confidence and insecurity about your appearances
- Difficulties in your relationship
- The anxiety about not being able to have an orgasm
- A man's fear of premature ejaculation or taking too long to orgasm
Thus, this type of anxiety is not rooted in any type of medical problem. Rather than medication, a change in thinking and perception is required to treat performance anxiety. Here are a few tips that can help you.
1. Fight stress
Stress in your daily life can spill over to your bedroom as well. This can make sex an chore rather than something to be enjoyed. Recognize your stress triggers and find ways to eliminate them. Regular exercise can be very helpful in reducing stress.
2. Prolong foreplay
Sex does not have a time limit or need to follow a set of steps. Like any other activity, your body needs to 'warm up' for sex as well. Instead of putting pressure on yourself to control or release your orgasm, get into the flow of the moment and take it slow. Try getting intimate with your partner in ways that do not involve sex such as a massage or having a shower together.
3. Communicate with your partner
Talk to your partner about how you feel. Understand that it is not necessary to have an orgasm every time you have sex. Talking to your partner can help ease some of the anxiety and improve your relationship.
4. Talk to a therapist
Asking for help is not a bad thing or something you need to be ashamed of. Therapists are trained to teach you how to be more comfortable with your sexuality and can help eliminate the triggers of sexual performance anxiety.
5. Give up control
Do not hold yourself responsible for your erections or your partner's orgasms. To a large extent sexual responsiveness is governed by the unconscious mind and hence worrying does nothing.
Men in their 20s are more active and possess fast metabolic rates as they can be good in bed even after having a tiresome day. How can this not be possible in your 30s? This is because you have hit your 30s and there is a lot of difference in the peak you had in your previous ages. To understand this change is quite critical, as what you do during these changes affects your overall sexual health.
The male menopause also known as andropause starts hitting individuals as early as 35. During this stage, there is a drop in the libido and even can cause erectile dysfunctions.
How do you avoid this? Here what you can do on a regular basis to keep yourself fit at all times so you can be fit when it matters the most!
- Check your family medical history
- Check your testosterone levels proactively
- Eliminate artificial sweeteners
- Keep a check on your alcohol consumption
- Dump the junk and add more veggies to the palate
- Get a lot of sleep
1. Check your family medical history - Family history is an important determinant to understand the faults in one's genetic DNA. It matters even though you and your family must be living a different lifestyle or live in a different environment, but as they say, it is all in the genes. You can still lead a healthy sex life if you are active and fit at times available to you.
2. Check your testosterone levels proactively - Declining levels of testosterone brings a lot of problems such as hair loss, decreased sex drive, depression and memory levels which is again a vicious cycle. To avoid this, include meat, fish, cheese and yogurt in your regular diet.
3. Eliminate artificial sweeteners - Sugar may not be our strongest friend but it is our strongest foe for it all does other than lessening sweetness in our morning tea/coffee/diet soda but also increases the risk of developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
4. Keep a check on your alcohol consumption - It is okay if we gulp down a drink or two of red wine daily, but if it is more than that, then you can say good bye to love making sessions as excessive drinking can not only destroy your liver and your gut and so on but also impair your libido. The key here is just moderation.
5. Get a lot of sleep - A minimum 6 hours of sleep is ideal as it helps your brain health, manages your stress levels and most importantly optimizes the male hormone production which helps you in a healthy libido to satiate your partner. Men who sleep lesser than 6 hours have an increased risk of stroke and heart disease as well. So take care of your body while you can before it's too late!
In some cases, psychological factors rather than physical incapability plays a vital role in causing Erectile Dysfunction (ED). Child abuse or any instance of sexual trauma is considered as one of the root causes of Erectile Dysfunction. Other than this, there are numerous factors like a person’s emotional health and well-being can also be a direct reason behind Erectile Dysfunction.
The psychological causes of Erectile Dysfunction are
- Pressure: Constant exposure to stress due to work load, difficulties in married life, parenting issues, financial issues can be a major reason behind erectile dysfunction.
- Guilt: The pressure of satisfying a new sexual partner may become so overpowering that it may result in poor sexual performance. This may lay seeds of guilt in a person and hamper his emotional health.
- Anxiety: If a person erectile droop at any instance, fear may creep in that it can occur again. This situation opens door for ‘performance anxiety’ and may cause erectile dysfunction in the long run.
- State of Depression: Even a person who performs normally during sexual intercourse can suffer from erectile dysfunction if he is in depression. Depression poorly hinders a person’s emotional health and cause a series of psychological as well as physical problems. The drugs taken during depression may even facilitate erectile dysfunction.
- Loss of interest in sex: Reasons behind this can be growing age, disputes with partner, any kind of stress or certain medications.
- Loss of Self-confidence: Failure in previous attempts for sexual intercourse, feeling of insufficiency in sex life may lead to loss of self-confidence. This can be one of the deciding factors behind erectile dysfunction.
Occurrence of erectile droop once or twice is quite common among men. There is nothing to be worried about. But if this problem persists, one shall consult a sexologist. Few tips to prevent and cure erectile dysfunction are as follows:
- One needs to open up and discuss such issues with his partner as well as his physician. If the cause of erectile dysfunction is poor emotional health, then he can undergo some therapy. Some stress releasing exercises or meditation can help you gain control over your mind.
- One can take some pills like Viagra and prevail over psychological impediments. It helps to boost up one’s confidence while performing any sexual act.
- Try to remain fit and fine. Exercise daily to shed any extra weight. Avoid drinking and smoking and take a healthy diet. Take adequate sleep (about 7 hours in night) and get your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked regularly.
All the above tips help in maintaining your physical as well as psychological health. Follow them and get cured of erectile dysfunction. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
Masturbation is a normal part of human sexuality, society frowns on it and young people are often taught to avoid masturbation. Lack of knowledge and opportunities to talk about it have given rise to a number of myths on this subject.
Let's take a look at a few of them:
- Masturbation causes health problems: Pleasuring yourself is the ultimate form of safe sex. There is no way for you to catch an STD, sexually transmitted disease, or for it to cause any sort of mental health problem. The only risks involved are allergic reactions to lubricants or toys and a feeling of guilt or shame due to societal pressure. It lowers the chances of you having an orgasm during sex
- Masturbation is akin to cheating: Single people as well as people in committed relationships masturbate. While it can lead to problems in a relationship depending on your partner's views about it, it does not amount to cheating on him or her.
- Masturbation causes infertility: Pleasuring yourself does not reduce your chances of getting pregnant or getting someone else pregnant. However, for men with a low sperm count, restricting ejaculations while trying to get their partner pregnant is a good idea. The only way masturbation can lead to infertility is if partners who share sex toys do not keep them clean and pass on STDs through them.
- It can cause erectile dysfunction: Erectile dysfunction has a number of psychological and biological causes, such as heart disease, stress and obesity but masturbation is not one of them. Eating certain foods can help control the urge to masturbate.
- Masturbation can damage the genitals: Touching your genitals is very unlikely to damage them. The sex organs are designed to withstand friction and hence are very tough organs. The maximum damage that can be caused by masturbation is a little chafing. Using lubricant can prevent this from occurring. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
To be considered healthy, one must not only be physically and mentally sound, but one must also be sexually and reproductively healthy. Sexual and reproductive health includes a person’s ability to enjoy a satisfying sex life and capability of reproducing. Sexual and reproductive health is important for both men and women.
When it comes to women, sexual health problems can refer to
- Lack of sexual desire
- Inability to be sexually aroused
- Inability to achieve an orgasm
- Painful intercourse
There are many factors that could trigger these problems, such as
- Relationship problems
- Emotional distress
- Gynaecological problems
Some of the common gynaecological problems that affect women’s sexual health are
- Vaginal dryness
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Uterine fibroids
- Gynaecological cancer
- Interstitial cystitis
Endometriosis and some of the above mentioned diseases can also affect a woman’s reproductive health and cause problems with pregnancy. Exposure to STDs is another major reproductive health problem. STDs such as HIV, gonorrhoea and HPV are dangerous not only for the mother, but also affect the health of the baby. Reproductive health problems or women also include unwanted pregnancies, unsafe abortions and maternal death.
Being a victim of sexual violence affects both sexual and reproductive health. Sexual violence can be defined as a non-consensual sexual activity. While anyone can experience this, women have a higher risk of facing such violence than men. Sexual violence can cause a person to fear sex itself and in some cases can interfere with their ability to reproduce.
Though men’s interest in sex is often joked about, men too can face sexual health problems. This could be triggered by a physical or psychological condition. Erectile dysfunction and ejaculation disorders such as premature ejaculation or retrograde ejaculation are the two most common sexual health problems faced by men. Anxiety and depression along with illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure can also cause a loss of libido and sexual disinterest.
Men can also suffer from a low sperm count and low testosterone. In many cases, this can make a man infertile. Peyronie's disease and testicular cancer are other conditions that can affect a man’s sexual and reproductive health. Like women, men also need to protect themselves against STDs to ensure they remain sexually healthy.
Thankfully, most sexual and reproductive health problems can be treated and cured with a combination of medication and psychological counselling. Hence sexual and reproductive health problems should not be considered taboo but should be addressed as soon as possible.
Human sexuality is a fairly complicated process and differs a lot between men and women. While most men can easily achieve orgasm, for women, is a completely different story. Many studies and self-reporting done on this subject have shown that very few actually get to orgasm most of the time and many fake it for a host of reasons. Let’s look at a few of the top reasons why women may fake it.
To make a session end – A woman, while in the act, may feel bored or want the session to end quickly especially if her partner is close to or has already achieved orgasm. She would want to fake an orgasm to bring conclusion to the session and get on with other things.
To boost the ego of the partner – Women may fake orgasms to ensure that their partners don’t feel guilty or inadequate about not making them climax. Although this usually happens in long term relationships, women may even do it in short term relationships to not hurt the ego of their men.
The partner doesn’t know how to bring a woman to climax – Many men don’t know how to bring their women to orgasm and thus, will try many things. There are other men who may not even care to know about pleasing their partners. In such cases, a woman may fake an orgasm as a ritual to show that she is also enjoying the act when she is actually not.
Used as a strategy to retain their partner in long term relationships – Many married women or women in long term relationships use fake orgasms to ensure that their partners feel happy. This is done so that their partners continue to stay with them and feel that they have been satisfying them well enough.
Faking an orgasm may lead to an actual one – Although this happens to a few women, some have reportedly stated that faking one orgasm might get them to have a real one. Some women also report being turned on by faking an orgasm.
She is afraid she will be judged – Many women feel insecure that if they are unable to orgasm with their respective partners, they might be judged as inadequate or incomplete. Thus, they would fake orgasms to bring finality to cover their own insecurities. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
Androphobia can be described as the unfounded and often overstressed fear of men. This phobia can affect both the genders, though younger females are more known to suffer from this kind of phobia.
Causes and origin:
Many psychoanalysts are of the opinion that women who had been victims of sexual assault or any kind of male aggression are more prone to androphobia. An unsympathetic and rude father figure can trigger this phobia in both the sexes. Many young girls are taught by their parents or caregiver to stay away from the opposite sex this can also instil a sense of fear for men in the young mind.
Intense and irrational fear of men is one of the commonest manifestations of this phobia. In many cases, the individual might experience disturbing thoughts about being assailed by men. In spite of realizing that the fear is unfounded, they still avoid any kind of association with men. In some cases, the person is extremely panicky and alert in presence of men. Extreme cases of androphobia are characterized by panic accompanied with tremors, increased heartbeat, dizziness, nausea, stomach ache and chest ache.
Androphobia and sex life:
Androphobia can gravely affect the personal life of an individual particularly his/her sex life. Androphobic women intentionally keep away from male company which definitely has a negative impact on their sex life. Even mildly androphobic women are known to feel uncomfortable while talking to men. The androphobics are generally depressed individuals who prefer to keep to themselves. In spite of having feelings for a man or having the urge to have sex, an androphobic woman will hardly be able to convey her feeling because of her intense fear of manliness. The loneliness and alienation which is associated with this kind of phobia often prompts a woman to contemplate suicide.
As with most other phobias, androphobia is also a curable condition. Your psychiatrist can suggest various medications and psychotherapies to cure your condition. The exposure therapy in which the phobic is slowly exposed to the much feared subject is known to work well in many cases. The CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is another treatment for androphobia where counselling sessions are conducted so that the phobic can express and share her nature of phobia. During the sessions, the counsellor suggests ways of dealing with the phobia and keeping it under control. The objective of the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is to recognize the pessimistic images related to men and turn them into positive ones. When none of these therapies work, the psychiatrist usually suggests anti-anxiety and anti depressant medications which improve the temperament of the androphobic. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.