Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Upendra S Kinjawadekar
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Upendra S KinjawadekarYour feedback matters!
Depression in children and young people affect people from ages 5 to 18. About one in four children in India suffer from childhood depression. Boys and girls up to the age of 10 and 16 respectively, are more prone to depression. As per the report released by WHO, among 10 South-East Asian countries, India has the highest suicide rate. An estimated rate of suicide per 1 lakh population of the age group of 15-29 is 35.5 percent.
Definition and Signs
According to Thompson (1995), depression is an overall lowering of normal functions which is not specific to any one component of the mind. Clinically, the signs and symptoms of depression have the following components:
- Mood Changes: sadness, irritability, sense of loss of interest even in cherished activities
- Cognitive changes: inefficient thinking, poor self-esteem, a feeling of hopelessness, loss of concentration, poor attention span, indecisiveness. Rarely, suicidal tendencies, delusions, hallucinations.
- Physical changes: low energy, apathy, tiredness, increase or decrease in appetite, disturbed sleep, low emotional responsiveness. Children in primary school stage may report of headaches and stomach aches, limb pain.
- Impairment in personal and/or social functioning: Self-harm, deterioration in school work without any specific reason, sudden and persistent levels of aggression and irritability.
- Marital or family disharmony
- Divorce and separation
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Problems at school: bullying, social isolation, exam failure
- Severe personal assault
- Children with parents suffering from depression
Diagnosis of Childhood Depression
Any child suffering from symptoms of depression for at least 2 weeks, should be scheduled to visit his health care provider. Parents and guardians should eliminate any physical reasons for the symptoms before visiting a mental health professional. There are no specific medical or psychological tests that can clearly diagnose childhood depression. Following measures can help to make an accurate diagnosis:
- Questionnaires for both the child and parents.
- Interviews and study of the patient's history by a mental health professional.
- Information from friends, teachers, and classmates can be useful to detect early symptoms of childhood depression.
- To alleviate depressive disorder
- To reduce concurrent related conditions like ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) and learning disabilities
- To promote normal social and emotional development and school performance
- Relieve family distress
- To prevent or reduce the risk of relapse
Psychological therapy is the first line of treatment and includes:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy in group and individual format
- Interpersonal psychotherapy focuses on interpersonal issues like interpersonal conflicts, grief and loss and its effect on current feelings and problems
- Psychodynamic child psychotherapy where children are given a way to express their issues through playing, drawing, talking
- Family therapy deals with solving family-related issues and management of crisis
- Art therapy is an approach to vent out your negative feelings using creative expression as an outlet.
- Guided self-help helps you in understanding the core of the problems and finding ways to manage the same with the help of a professional.
- Relaxation and self-modelling can go a long way in dealing with depression. Relaxation techniques like exercising, meditating and yoga help your mind soothe and reduce stress and anxiety which in turn elevates the mood and reduces depression.
- Counselling has help people overcome loneliness and discuss the things that make them feel low openly. This helps in seeking a solution for that particular cause.
My son is 23 months old, need to know about Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, doctor told it is optional, I am very confused whether we should give that vaccine to our son or simply avoid it?
She is just of 1 month old baby now has something constipation like problem from 3-4 days. please suggest what to do.?
Tell me what are the reasons for giving Hepatitis B injection to new born baby after on month. Are there any side effects of it ? Thank You
One of my friends is blessed with a baby and she has been advised to take vibact DS along with other medicines post c-section. By mistake she is been taking 3 capsules of vibact DS instead of one suggested at night. The kid is urinating a lot but she is all okay. What can she do to reverse the action of excess dosage?
I am 32 years old. Recently I hv a c section delivered a baby. After that I used some ayurvedic mefic to keep body heat. So now am getting excess dehydration. My total body is burning. Unable to feed baby also am getting fatigue, tired really feeling discomfort. What should I do.
Which food activates our growth hormone. I'm goind to be 17 years old. Meje thodi muchh aur dadhi aa gai hai. Bilkul thodi si. But ab vo badh nahi rahi hai. Iam worried about it. Help me.
I am suffering from dry cough from last two weeks. I have chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest me how to overcome this?
Eczema refers to the changes that occur in the upper skin layer. These skin changes can be thickened and cracked skin, skin redness, crusting of the affected area and swollen raw skin, among others. The exact cause of this skin condition is not yet known but a mix of factors have been found to be behind this health problem.
Eczema can be cured if the persistent immunological disturbances get corrected by internal medications like homeopathy treatment, which is known for providing safe and effective treatment. The presence of red, inflamed and itchy skin can trigger psychosocial and emotional stress in the patients suffering from eczema and can become a dominant cause of severe discomfort.
The following are effective homeopathic remedies to treat eczema:
- Dry eczema in knees joints and bents of elbow: Sepia officinalis is an ideal homeopathic remedy for eczema in knees and bends of elbow. It provides relief from severe scratching that occurs due to dry skin.
- Gastric or urinary trouble: Lycopodium clavatum is an effective remedy for patients suffering from some sort of urinary or gastric trouble. It is also known to provide effective relief from severe itching and bleeding resulting from eczematous eruptions. It also provides relief in cases of deep fissures and hardening of skin.
- Excessive itching: Sulphur is a Natural Homeopathic medicine, which is considered one of the most effective remedies for eczema. It provides instant relief from burning sensation and excessive itching. It is also beneficial in the case of eczema that has worsened due to the indiscriminate usage of external ointments.
- Weeping type of eczema: Graphite is an effective homeopathic medication that treats the weeping type of eczema that usually occurs between fingers or toes, behind the ears and scalp. It provides effective relief from eczematous eruptions that discharge sticky fluid and eczema that develops on eyelids.