Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Giving a child medication can be a challenging job and one that many parents dread! Wrong dosage can create a havoc and lead to unnecessary complications or the problem not getting treated at all. So make sure you give your child the proper dose.
Here is a small guide that will help you understand more about dosage and administration of medicine for children:
- Dosage: Usually, most pharmaceutical companies print the dosage as per the age or the weight range of the child. This is true mainly for paediatric drugs. Yet, there are other ways of calculating dosage as well. You can divide the age of the child (in months) by 150 and multiply the sum with the average adult dosage to compute the dose that the child should get.
- Frequency: Also, always speak with a paediatrician to find out how often a medicine must be administered. The label will usually have this information, but it is always best to mention the exact symptoms and ask for the frequency.
- Instruments: Child medicine usually comes in liquid form for easy ingestion. You can use a wide mouthed calibrated syringe for administering the medicine, or you could use a spoon, or even the measuring cup that comes with the medicine. The baby's bottle or a dropper can be used for infants as well. Take care to watch for signs of choking and administer the medicine in one dose broken up into smaller doses to avoid the same.
- Storage: Ask your doctor about storing the medicine at room temperature or in the refrigerator as this will affect the efficacy of the medicine.
- Administration: Remember to find out if the medicine is to be administered before or after the child has had a feed or a meal. Then, wash your hands and prepare the child by ensuring that he or she lies still without any squirming. Make the child comfortable about the idea of taking medication and keep the head propped up. Talk to distract the child and if need be, practice sucking it in so that the child avoids choking. You can mask the unpleasant taste of certain medicines by keeping a glass of juice or candy nearby.
- Missed Doses: If your child throws up a dose, or you miss one, do not give a double dose. Instead skip and give it later.
Take due precautions when you are administering, storing and measuring the medicine for your child as this could have an impact on how the child reacts and heals.
You would have noticed that your child who was so eager to help out and please you earlier is no longer responding to you that way. They must be teenagers! Don't despair.Its natural and healthy for them to break away emotionally from their parents at this age. This will help them to become well adjusted adults. Here's how you can give them their space, yet gently guide them during this phase.
1. Give children some space: Giving them a chance to establish their own identity, giving them more freedom, is essential to help them establish their own place in the world. But it doesn't mean that if your child is moving around with a bad crowd or doing drugs you don't say anything. Let them explore and experiment with things that are not very risky. Eg. Catching a bus, auto. Going out with friends to a mall, going for tuitions on their own etc.
2. Choose your battles wisely: Don't lock your horns with them over cleaning up, sleeping late, coming back 1 hour late etc. Save your enquiry for more serious matters like permanent tattoo, going out late into the night and not keeping you informed, bad company etc.
3. Invite their friends over for a meal: It helps you to see who your child is meeting with and also to send a message that you are not rejecting them outright without any valid reason. Children see it as a mark of respect and fairness when you meet and talk to their friends. Also it helps them to see how their friends talk with you. Outright rejection of friends can bring on huge aggression and antagonism.
4. Decide rules and discipline in advance: If it's a 2 parent family, then it's important for the parents to have their own discussions first and come to a common consensus about what is acceptable and what is not. What will be the consequences of not following through with what was earlier negotiated. Remember that Consequences need to be discussed with your child too and should be fair for him/her.
5. Talk to your teens about the worst case scenario: whether it's taking drugs, pre marital sex, driving rashly or running away.The kid must know the worst that could happen. Let them see movies which showcase this as they get impacted by visuals more than dry conversations.
6. Tell them that you are available: When kids start experimenting and taking risks, they can land up in sticky situations like out of pocket money, a flat tyre, friends not showing up, not getting what they expected to happen. Let them know that you are available no matter what. Give them your confidence and trust. Teach them how to think of options if stuck in a bad spot. Tell them that you will come and pick them up if they can't come back on their own.
7. Keep the communication lines open: Don't instruct or interrogate them. Talk and share with them about your own life. Even a difficult day at work. This teaches them that's it's ok to talk to you even if something has gone wrong. Don't judge them. And if they are not ready to talk just then, then let them know that you can wait and you know how it's like to have a bad day.
8. Let them feel guilty: This is a hard one for some parents who come on too quickly to protect their children from feeling guilty when they have done something wrong. If your child has hurt someone or done something wrong, then it's important that they know how to deal with guilt. It's healthy to have some guilt rather than no remorse or guilt at all. This will help the children to stay within socially acceptable behaviours and norms.
9. Be a Role Model: Your actions are more noticed than your words! Your role will be important in helping them become morally, socially and ethically grounded person. If they have a healthy role model from early childhood, then it's less likely that they will take bad decisions as a rebellious teen.
If you find this useful and want to know more, then click on private chat. Happy Parenting.
My son is 8 years old. Before 3 year he undergo through open heart surgery due to asd hole by birth. That time his weight was 25 kg. Now his weight is 45 kg. He is continously gaining weight after surgery. His vocal cord pitch is also very high. What is cause and reason? For treatment whom to consult.
My daughter 9 yrs old. Having clief plate in mouth. Having fits problem since 2 months after birth. Her birth date is 14/2/2006. Now near about 4 years fits problem solved. But still she dosen't stand, walk or speak due to some minor neuro problem. What to do?
Sir mere bache ko RTA TYPE 2 HE aur uski umar 04 month he kya wo puri trah thik ho sakta he aur jab wo bimar hua tab caretinin 8.00 tha aur abhi 2.80 he.
My baby is now 1 Years 6 Months but her nipple size is too big how to treatment my baby please help us or tell me the medicine name and how to use.
My son is 11 years old. Studying 6th std. He is interested in all, except education. If we tell you read or write, immediately he is change his feelings. And also very aggressive and laziness with recklessness. Please suggest me to get interest on education and to listening my words.
My baby is suffering from fever due to urinary track infections. He is having antibiotics and paracetamol but fever is not going away. What should I do?
Children may run around having fun and growing in the process. Some children may be more active than the others and some may be more attentive at school. All children go through some sort of trouble while growing up. This is because of the drastic changes that the bodies of little children constantly go through. One such problem commonly faced by the children is bedwetting. This problem may be a common one, but it should be brought under control as soon as possible so that the children do not have to face social embarrassment as they grow older. Learn more to improve child's immunity system.
Apart from providing a healthy and happy living to the children, it may be essential to find a way of treatment that may not leave the child affected by the harmful ingredients of the regular allopathic medication. One of the safest and the most effective ways to be able to treat bedwetting is homeopathy. Homeopathy is a branch of medicine and treatment that works on the body of the user with the most natural ways. The medicines in homeopathy are made using basic ingredients from plants and other organic materials.
Homeopathy for children:
The use of homeopathy for problems that affect the children in particular is essential because of the fact that they have growing systems and the growth may get adversely affect with the strong and highly potent allopathic drugs. It is also important to understand the nuances of controlling the bedwetting issue in children and also know what the causes of the problem may be:
- When the children are highly fatigued, they may wet the bed due to the deep sleep that they may be experiencing after a tiring time.
- In times of winter when the cold is uncontrollable or much more than usual, it may be natural for some children to not be able to control their bladder.
- In a lot of cases, the children may also wet the bed when they have had a scary or traumatic experience.
Just as the causes of the problem are varied, it must be realized that the medications are also supposed to be administered according to the issue.
Homepathic medication for betwetting
Homeopathy is a stream of medicine that treats the body in the most delicate manner, which is why it is a safe alternative for children. However, it must also be ensured that proper medical intervention is attained to start a course of homeopathic medication as well, so that bedwetting may be treated within a desired amount of time and the child may feel free from the embarrassment of wetting the bed. Why homeopathy is best for children?