Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Navi Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Hemant Lahoti
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Hemant LahotiYour feedback matters!
You might think, as a parent, that if you behave strictly then your child will become well-behaved. But research and studies have shown that the opposite happens. Strict parenting leads to children who behave worse than others and they suffer from low self-esteem.
Some other reasons why being strict is harmful:
- Never learning self-regulation: Responsibility and self-discipline have to be learned by the children themselves. When you put harsh limits on them, they never learn self-regulation. If they think the limits don’t sound too harsh, they will learn to accept them. But the limits placed on them should never be controlling. If this happens, children see themselves as being controlled and no one enjoys being controlled.
- Instilling fear: If you are being authoritarian (parenting in which there are high demands and low sympathy) instead of empathetic, then your children will become scared of you. You are instilling the power of fear in them. This triggers a vicious chain of events. When you yell, they will yell as well.
- Anger and depression: Authoritarian parenting often leads to children believing a part of them is unacceptable. They feel that their parents would not understand. It makes them susceptible to anger management issues and depression.
- Blindly obeying those in power: Children raised up in strict households start thinking power is always right. They learn to obey blindly. This makes them vulnerable to peer pressure. They also never learn to take responsibility for their actions.
- Rebelling: Children tend to be angrier and become rebellious when they have strict parents. The need to break free and not conform to the non-empathetic limits that forces them to act out. They might even nurture thoughts about leaving home and running away.
- Lying: Strict parenting creates excellent liars. Children learn to lie when they are in trouble. They think lies will placate their parents and they can get away with anything.
- Damage to parent-child relationship: If you are strict and you don’t change your authoritarian ways, then it damages your relationship with your children. Natural empathy is lacking in strict parents. You don’t understand your child, and your child doesn’t feel like sharing their lives with you. It creates a divide between the parent and child. Children never quite get over this as they grow older. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
My baby is 11 months old (boy). His weight is just 8 kg. Till now my wife is feeding him with her milk. *Every morning about 8'0 clock she gives idly. *At 11'0 clock boiled cereals powder (rice, wheat, dals, corn, soya, ragulu, jonnalu, sajjalu, korralu, oats, groundnuts powder) *At 1'0 clock with curry & curd. *At 3.30 pm yellow of boiled egg.(started from 1 week). *At 5.00 pm banana or boiled apple. *At 7.00 pm again rice with curry . * My wife gives him milk 7or 8 times per day. Now my wife wants to stop her milk & wants to give outer milk. Please suggest me which milk powder is better for him. His weight is also very less for his age. The way my wife feeding him is the correct procedure or not. What type of food can we give for him to improve his weight? Please suggest milk powder also?
My daughter is just 2 and half year old but has many symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. She needs many things to be in proper positions. Even at midnight gets up and cries, even if she gets one wrinkle in bedsheet.Really don't understand how to tackle this behaviour? Get worried if it will increase with age?
We all are aware of the fact that it's not just mothers- to- be who need to make sacrifices during pregnancy, infact it's a excellent idea for fathers to give up smoking and drinking too. Many people are aware of the fact that smoking during pregnancy can be harmful for an unborn baby, so if either you or your partner is a smoker, you should actually give up now. And giving up smoking and cutting down on alcohol now will eventually lead to a healthier and fitter you, so that when you've got a little baby around, you will be in the best of your health.
Passive smoking is harmful:
Passive smoking near your partner is dangerous as when she breathes in your cigarette smoke, your baby is taking in harmful carbon monoxide, nicotine and maybe other harmful chemical substances. Nicotine may lead to constriction of the blood vessels and might affect the uterine and placenta blood flow, might even increase blood pressure and heart rate of you and your baby.
One of the best moves you and your partner can practice is to keep your baby's surrounding and environment smoke free, both for now and as well as after the birth too. If you and your pregnant partner or other people in your home indulge in smoking, it can cause serious harm to your unborn baby.
Drugs and Alcohol is a Big No:
Taking other drugs or drinking alcohol can surely get in the way of you being the parent you always wanted to be. It can also affect your ability to take care for your child. This is a big issue with newborns, who wake up often during the night for feeding and changing. Parents indulging in the use of drugs and alcohol, this unhealthy practice may lead to the risk factor for SUDI if the children sleep in the same place as the parent. For many men, alcohol and other drugs can fuel heated arguments that might lead to violence and aggression. This can have serious consequences for the health and wellbeing of the mother and child.
Your habits affect your kids:
In a recent research the rate of lymphoma, brain tumours and leukaemia were up to 80% higher in children under the age of 5 when fathers had smoked prior to conception, even though the mothers were non smokers all the way. Moreover the rate of childhood cancer was seen highest when fathers smoked more cigarettes every day, or had been smoking for a longer time or started smoking before the age of 20.
It's not just your partner who requires staying healthy before, during and after pregnancy, you all fathers need it too. A healthy diet can surely help with conception, but it's always important to practice and carry on eating a well-balanced variety of nutritious foods. This will lead to the encouragement of your partner to do the same and help her enjoy a healthy pregnancy as well.