Corn Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Treatment for Constipation Treatment
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Polishing Treatment
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Cutaneous Fillers Treatment
Small Dermatologic Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Submit a review for LIONS MEDICAL CENTREYour feedback matters!
Stretch marks, as the name suggest; appears when the skin is over stretched. These marks can also appear when the body loses its ability to stretch (use of certain steroids). Both the conditions affect the skin elasticity. As a result, white, red (turn pale over a period of time) or purple streaks appear on the buttocks, armpits, stomach, thighs and chest.
Many factors influence the appearance of stretch marks, also known as Striae distensae:
- Elevated levels of Cortisone hormone (produced by the Adrenal gland) play a pivotal role in the appearance of stretch marks.
- Stretch marks are common during pregnancy. As the foetus grows in size, the skin tends to stretch more and more. This stretching provides sufficient space to the developing foetus. A hormonal imbalance can also mark the appearance of stretch marks during this period. In some, the stretch marks appear after pregnancy.
- Stretch marks are sure to appear when a person experiences a sudden change in the body weight (weight gain or loss). These marks can also be seen in children who are in their growing phase (teenagers).
- Use of Corticosteroids (steroid hormones produced by the adrenal cortex) can leave your body with the unwanted stretch marks. It is advisable to use corticosteroids (pills or cream) under medical supervision.
- Stretch marks may be an outcome of some genetic disorders such as Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Marfan's Syndrome. Striae distensae can appear in people with Cushing's Syndrome (the adrenal gland produces the hormone, Glucocorticoids in excess)
Stretch marks often affect person's confidence. Most people find stretch marks extremely annoying and embarrassing. They try every possible trick under the sun to camouflage and get rid of the unwanted marks.
The stretch marks are generally harmless and can be treated:
- Drink plenty of water. It is important to keep the skin hydrated. Bio oils, Vitamin E enriched oils, certain creams, can effectively fades the appearance of stretch marks. Use of moisturisers containing Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter will speed up the fading process.
- Loss or breakdown of collagen protein (fibrous protein) can result in stretch marks. For stretch marks that are not very old, Tretinoin cream comes across as a huge relief. Application of Tretinoin cream helps in the restoration of collagen protein. For pregnant women, it is best to avoid this cream.
- In case the stretch marks are a little older, a person can go for Microdermabrasion.
- Another great technique is the Pulsed Dye Laser Therapy. This therapy works by enhancing the growth of elastin and collagen protein.
All the preventive measures and treatments can help to fade the stretch marks. However, none can guarantee complete disappearance of the marks.
What stalls the growth of your hair?
Many times, it feels like your natural hair has stopped growing completely. Although individual hair strands are growing in a growth cycle, there are few reasons why it may appear that your hair growth has been stunted or has ceased from growing
Here are some reasons which stall your hair growth:
- Poor hair habits:Your Your hair becomes weak and fragile when it is damaged. Poor hair care habits can lead to breakage of hair such as excessive heat styling, chemical hair coloring, and bleaching. These add a lot of stress to hair, weakens your hair's elasticity and lead to breakage, thinning of hair and severe hair damage.
- Shorter hair growth cycle:The The hair growth cycle is constantly in rotation and your hair is never in the same phase of the cycle. There is a phase of hair growth cycle when the hair becomes dormant until the cycle repeats. This resting phase of hair growth cycle may last much longer sometimes.
- Dry and brittle hair:It's It's possible for your natural hair to break off as quickly as it grows, appearing as if your hair is no longer growing. Moisturizing your natural hair is important because of its inability to produce a natural oil that covers the entire scalp. Co-washing the hair or using hot oil treatments, sulfate-free shampoos and adopting healthy hair regimens can keep your natural hair moisturized and prevent it from breaking.
- Poor diet:Your Your hair needs proper vitamins, minerals and nutrients in order to thrive and eating foods rich in nutritional value like fish, nuts, green leafy vegetables will help your hair grow healthier. You can also add multivitamins to your diet containing vitamin a and zinc which functions to strengthen hair, nourish hair follicles, promote healthy scalp and minimize shedding.
- Underlying health issues:Hormone Hormone deficiency or overproduction can result in hair loss. Dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and even allergies could affect the scalp and cause stunted hair growth. They often affect the scalp and sometimes cause scarring, inflammation or sores to form on the scalp, inhibiting hair growth.
Having beautiful nails is not necessary only for looking good, but they need to be clean for health purposes too. Just like your skin and hair, you need to take care of them so that they are healthy looking. They are exposed to environment and there are many ways by which your nails get damaged. Thus, here are a few tips that are easy to follow to keep your nails look great and keep them healthy!
- Care for your cuticles: During a manicure avoid trimming your cuticles. They are meant to be the barrier for bacteria and when you cut them, it may result in painful infections. With the help of a cuticle pusher, you may moisten them and push them back, but do not cut them totally. Even when you are having a conventional manicure make sure that you protect your cuticles by dabbing some olive or almond oil so that the reaction of chemicals that come in contact with your skin becomes minimum.
- Use moisturizer: Even your nails need to be moisturized and hence while you rub lotion on your hands put some of it on your nail and cuticles too. By using hand wash regularly you tend to dry your nail bed. Thus, after every wash, it is necessary that you use some moisturizer. If possible, use some coconut oil for rubbing on your nails. You can use cuticle cream too and rubbing that every day on your cuticles will help in keeping them moisturized.
- Provide nutrients to your nails: Yes, even your nails need nutrients to be healthy. Take biotin that is also referred as vitamin H. Studies reveals that it helps in preventing nails from becoming brittle. It may not grow your nails faster, but it provides the necessary support to your nails so that they do not split, crack or tear away.
- Wear gloves to protect your nails: Make it a practice to wear gloves while you are working with detergents, whether during dishwashing or anything else. Detergents have harsh chemicals that will leach away nutrients and moisture from your nails. Thus, it’s better to protect before than taking care later. “Prevention is better than cure” you know!
- Avoid using harsh polish: In nail polishes, you will find toxic chemicals like toluene, dimethyl, dibutyl phthalate, and camphor, diethyl phthalates, and formaldehyde. These nail polishes are dangerous for health. Instead try alternatives that do not contain such chemicals and are easy on your nails. Before you purchase them read the label carefully.
After following all these, if still you are not satisfied with the quality or health of your nails, it is better to get advice from an expert.
Scabies is a type of a skin condition that is characterized by itching and rashes. This dermatological condition is caused by sarcoptes scabiei, a type of microscopic mite. A contagious condition, scabies spreads through physical contact. It usually transmits through clothes, towels, sexual contact and other such ways.
Symptoms: Some of the symptoms of the conditions are severe itching, narrow irregular burrow tracks, which look like blisters or bumps on your skin. The burrow tracks generally appear in the folds of the skin. The common sites of the condition are between the fingers, armpits, around the waist, soles of your feet, knees, shoulder blades etc.
Complications: Some of the complications of the condition are:
- Severe scratching can lead to damaged and reddened skin, which in severe cases can start to bleed.
- Vigorous scratching, which can break your skin and can cause a secondary infection such as impetigo. This superficial skin infection is usually caused by the staphylococci bacteria.
- Crusted scabies, the most severe form of scabies, can be common in certain groups. People suffering from diseases such as HIV or leukemia who have weakened immune systems as well as severely ill people have high risks of contracting this condition. This condition, also known as Norwegian scabies, is very contagious and also hard to cure.
Some of the risk factors of scabies are:
- An infected person can easily pass scabies to his/her household or sexual partners. Scabies in adults is usually sexually acquired.
- The likelihood of scabies increases easily under crowded conditions, which involve close body and skin contact. Nursing homes, prisons, and several types of care facilities are sites of scabies outbreaks.
- Scabies spreads through direct, prolonged skin-to-skin contact with a person who has mites.
- Immunocompromised, elderly and disabled people also suffer from an increased likelihood of contracting this skin condition.
The skin is the largest organ that covers the human body from top to toe. It is also most susceptible when it comes to myriad infections and conditions that can range from mild and temporary to extreme and permanent. Seborrheic Dermatitis is a condition that produces red and itchy patches on the skin as well as flaky scales on the scalp. It may stem from an allergic reaction like eczema. Read on to know more about the condition.
This condition can be found at any age. It may be found in infants and in elderly people as well. The main causes of the condition include stress and even your genetic make-up. The hereditary factors also play a major role in conditions like these. This condition may be caused by the yeast that feasts on the skin and causes sores. Additionally, it may be caused as a side effect of certain medicines and other medical conditions. Many patients experience this condition when the weather is cold and dry.
Seborrheic Dermatitis may be caused by oily skin that can lead to excessive acne and other such eruptions. Depression and eating disorders can also result in this condition as a painful symptom. Patients who are HIV positive can experience this condition as a symptom.
The symptoms of this condition may vary from mild to extreme. Dandruff, cradle cap for babies, etc. are some of the main symptoms. This condition can cause eruptions around the face and neck as well as the navel and buttocks areas. It may also be seen in the folds of the skin like armpits and below the breasts. Scaling and redness are the main signs and symptoms that point towards the presence of Seborrheic Dermatitis. Inflammation may or may not occur. If it is associated with cradle cap, then there may not necessarily be any related inflammation.
There have been many instances where a mild flare up may end up healing on its own without any medication or medical intervention. In such cases, you can actually try some home-based treatment like ice packs. Good skin care and hygiene will also ensure that the condition clears up on its own, yet one should be prepared to see eruptions for a year at a time. Coal tar and zinc are some of the most commonly used elements in the medication that can be prescribed by a dermatologist. Anti-fungal products and a mild shampoo for babies can also be used in order to successfully treat this condition. Steroids may be required in order to successfully treat Seborrheic Dermatitis, if it becomes too extreme and difficult to contain.
Please I have been experiencing acne breakouts ever since I was 12 year. I have used various products for my pimples, acne,dark spots but all to no avail. Please kindly recommend a n effective product for me. I recently heard about new medrol but I am still skeptical about whether or not to get it: since I did not see the effect of various expensive products I have been getting. I am a student.
Hello, I am suffering from dark circles since last 3 to 4 yrs, I have tried every possible thing but did not get rid of them. Please suggest something helpful. Thanks.
I am just 12 years old and I have a lot of white hair on my head. It is very embarrassing for me to go to school as everyone can see my white hairs. I do not know why this is happening to me at this age. How can I fix my hair. Please help.
Hair is falling so much to my father, his age is 50. Please give suggestions and what is the reason? Please give me a definite answer. He is using Godrej to hair with spirit. Is it healthy it not? If not please give suggestions to black the hair.
What is to be done to grow lost hair. I age 18. I lost large number of hair in six months. Now it is reduced to 1-10 hairs daily. What is to be done to get my previous lush hairs. Please help me. I am very confused. I had allergy fever for 1 year before the hair loss and I taken lots of medicine before. Please help me to get my hair back.
Can anybody please help with some remedies which can lighten the skin colour of private areas as well as underarms.
Sir could you please tell me the difference between alopecia areata and androgenic alopecia. please help sir. I have been facing hair receding hairline and hair thinning at temple area. What it could be. please help sir.
Want to go for fractional co2 lasers I already had one session for acne scars can somebody suggest me a doctor in not good at this in affordable price.
I want to ask that how to get a smooth hair my hair was so dry and I want to get smooth so I want any easy product to use for my hair please help out with me.
I am SAKETH male 20 years. I am having severe hair fall. I consulted dermatologist 3 months back he suggest me MINOXIDIL solution and two vitamin tablets. Now my hair fall was stopped. But unwanted facial hair i.e under the eyes and beside the eyes are growing. Can you suggest me any solution. I want a solution to remove unwanted hair immediately. Pls help me.
Who doesn’t like to be a dream girl, with everybody’s eyes charm. “Doll” the stylish one, one with fair skin, ideal looks, lovely expressions, one gifted with all possible merits.
People, who are fortunate enough to have all these qualities in built, should also learn to take care of them and prevent them from utmost damages. Unlike the environment, which was more pure before where the natural remedies were also enough for cure but the environment now is more of the smoke and smog.
Thus proving them to be quite ineffective BUT as patience and perseverance are the two important essence and so is here the home remedies though late works truly positive and mark their effect for a long time and more beautifully.
- You may take a banana, mash it, and mix some honey and apply on face for 5minutes and then wash it with Luke warm water.
- Peel off oranges and put the peel in the sun until they dry completely. Prepare a powder and add some milk to it. Use of this paste once a day makes your skin smooth and lighter.
- For a home-based sunscreen lotion, cucumber juice with rose water and glycerin proves equivalent.
- A mixture of Gram Flour, Turmeric, with some lemon Juice when applied evenly on the face and kept to rest gives a natural glow to the face.
- The beauty paste mixture of Gram Flour and turmeric with milk is a therapy used since long time and ages; proving positive to the skin of everyone.
- A potato pulp that includes starch makes the perfect face mask and helps replenish the skin tone in the best possible way.
- The sun burn of the skin can be best cured with Vinegar which has got anti- oxidants, thus curing it.
- A summer refreshing mask, can be made out of papaya fruit and the Indian Multani Mitti.
- For obtaining cleansed skin, one must apply a mixture of Yoghurt and lemon juice 1 teaspoon each twice daily.
Lastly, the Diet a healthy Balanced Diet containing the right nutrients is to be consumed for nourishment of skin.