Submit a review for KEGEL SEX DISORDER CLINICYour feedback matters!
The coitus was great, but after everything is over, why do you feel so sad and depressed? If you feel like fleeing or if you need some reassuring physical contact after intercourse, you might be suffering from a psychological condition called 'post-coital tristesse' (PTC)
What does it mean?
Post-coital is a Latin phrase while tristesse is a French word which literally translates to “sadness”. If you suffer from PCT, you might experience intense feelings of uneasiness, anxiety or sorrow immediately after coitus, or even two hours later.
Why does it happen?
- There are specific hormonal changes during sex and immediately after it. Two main hormones involved are ‘dopamine’ and ‘prolactin’. Dopamine is a neuro-hormone that precedes the release of adrenaline and is linked with feelings of pleasure and sexual arousal; while prolactin is the hormone responsible for producing milk in women (men secrete it as well). Dopamine is released in copious amounts during sex, so to counter this, prolactin is released. Prolactin drastically reduces dopamine levels, and this can make you sad.
- The other cause is psychological. Under the influence of dopamine, you might end up saying things you regret later. This too can result in sadness and depression.
Is it different for men and women?
Yes, men and women handle PCT very differently. Men feel like leaving so that they feel less sad. On the other hand, some men choose to stay, which only worsens their condition. It makes them associate sex with melancholic feelings. Women, on the other hand, crave for reassurance and physical touch from their partners. Nice words or cuddling can ease their discomfort. Suffering from this might result in disaster for them. When the man flees and the woman needs reassurance, it will lead to negative feelings about sex and development of resentment for each other.
Can abstinence and avoidance help?
Abstinence can help if you do not have an active sex life. Time away from sex can actually help you understand your problems better. However, abstinence can trigger depression, low self-esteem and extreme emotions of loneliness.
Are there any other solutions?
Communication and therapy are traditionally the best treatments for PCT. Talking to a therapist, alone or together with your partner, can help you with a solution.
Although it might seem hard to believe at times, headache during the peak of physical intimacy is very much a real thing. These headaches can affect both men and women. Generally, the headache subsides after one or two instances, but in some cases, the headache might persist and become a chronic one.
You might experience a headache while performing any kind of a sexual act. The headaches are generally characterised by sudden and intense pain in the left side of the head just before ejaculation; it might start slowly and rapidly emerge into an intense one. A headache gradually wears you down after attaining orgasm and might cause disturbances in your regular sex life, if it happens to be chronic.
Although most of the headaches are benign, it is still advisable to get them diagnosed without delay.
Why does this happen?
- Although the exact reason is not known, doctors state that the headache might be a result of past history of migraine headaches or general headaches due to high levels of stress.
- Excessive consumption of marijuana, contraceptive pills and alcohol might also cause these headaches.
- The headaches occur as a result of rapid increase in blood pressure or the diameter of the blood vessel before the moment of attaining orgasm. Although, this generally occurs due to a weak vessel wall, however, if this headache becomes chronic or occurs in irregular time periods, it might serves as a precursor to serious diseases, such as brain inflammation, brain tumours, neck disease and low blood pressure.
- Also, if the headache is accompanied by symptoms like vomiting tendency, confusion and a rigid neck, you should check with your doctor to avoid further complications.
However, one can try and prevent chronic headache with the help of prescribed anti inflammatory drugs. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a neurologist.
In today's time, when every one is struggling due to high stress levels, men are facing the brunt of it in the worst possible manner. Todat every 3 out of 10 men suffer from some type of male reproductive issue and one such issue is when the semen, during ejaculation, enters the bladder instead of leaving through the urethra, it is called retrograde ejaculation.
Causes behind it
When men orgasm, the vas deferens (a duct through which the sperm travels to urethra) moves the sperm to the prostrate, where other fluids mix with it to form liquid semen. The bladder neck muscle (the muscle at the exit to the bladder) narrows down, so the ejaculation doesn’t enter the bladder accidentally when it enters the urethra (tube inside the penis) from the prostate. If you are suffering from retrograde ejaculation, this bladder neck muscle doesn’t compress properly. This results in sperm entering the bladder instead of the urethra.
The causes which lead to weakening of the bladder neck muscle include:
- Prostate or bladder neck surgery
- Side effect of some medications, such as medicines taken for high blood pressure, mood disorders and prostate enlargement
- Nerve damage due to diabetes, spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis (a disease of the immune system wherein it attacks the protective covering of the nerves).
Symptoms that you must look out for
The symptoms and signs of retrograde ejaculation include:
- Dry orgasm: Little to no ejaculation is present when you have an orgasm.
- Cloudy urine after sex: The semen enters the bladder thus, making the urine cloudy
- Male infertility: Since there is hardly any ejaculation, conceiving becomes difficult
How it can be treated
Until and unless retrograde ejaculation interferes with fertility, it requires no treatment. In such scenarios, retrograde ejaculation is treated by taking a closer look at the underlying causes. If nerve damage is the cause, then drugs might help, especially for condition such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other diseases or surgeries. However, drugs are not effective if you had surgeries such as bladder neck or prostate surgery.
Being on drugs such as alpha blockers for high blood pressure or prostate problems, or medications for mood disorders, might cause retrograde ejaculation. In such cases, your doctor will advise you to stay off the drugs for some time. Since, infertility is a symptom of retrograde ejaculation, you might require fertility treatments, especially if you and your partner are trying for a baby. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.
Do you feel disinterested in getting physically close to your partner? If yes, then it can be a sign of HSDD, that is Hypoactive sexual desire disorder. It is a sex disorder marked by disgust and disinterest towards sex. This disorder affects both men and women.
Men with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
Men are generally perceived as highly sexual beings, but in reality, 1 out of 5 men may be suffering from HSDD.
Some possible causes of male HSDD include:
- Psychological issues: Anxiety and stress due to the strain of family or relationship problems, rigours of daily life or mental disorders such as depression are some of the factors that influence sexual desire.
- Medical causes: Diseases (for example: diabetes), conditions (such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure and obesity) and drugs (such as hair loss medications) have adverse effects on sexual desire.
- Hormonal problems: Low levels of testosterone usually lead to low sexual desire. Other hormones, such as the thyroid hormone or prolactin (hormone that governs the development of breast milk) can also contribute to the cause.
- Low levels of dopamine: Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, which is responsible for the pleasure perception in your brain. Low levels of dopamine usually signify low sexual desire.
How it can be treated ?
If the cause is psychological, then sex therapy (psychological counselling based on sexual issues) is used to treat HSDD. But if it is hormonal, testosterone supplements are used.
Women with Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
Female HSDD is more complicated and is difficult to diagnose. HSDD can affect women across all ages.
In women, this disorder can have a wider spectrum of causes, which include:
- Interpersonal relationship problems: Certain problems such as the partner’s performance issues, loss of emotional gratification with relationships, childbirth and becoming nothing, but only a loved one’s caregiver can all lead to low sexual desire.
- Sociocultural influences: Media’s portrayal of sexuality, peer pressure and job stress have negative influences on sexual desire.
- Low testosterone: Women produce testosterone as well, and similar to men, low levels of this sex hormone cause a significant dip in sexual desire.
- Medical problems: Mental illnesses such as depression or medical problems, such as fibroids or endometriosis (a disorder characterized by the growth of uterine tissues outside the organ) affect women, physically and mentally, thus making ‘hypoactive sexual desire disorder’ a possibility.
- Medications: Excessive use of antidepressants, oral contraceptives and blood pressure drugs can lower sexual desire.
- Age: The androgen (sex hormone) levels lower drastically as a woman ages, thus negatively impacting her sexual desires.
Sex therapy (therapy that concerns itself with counselling and addressing one’s physical or psychological hindrances to sex) medication changes, diagnosing underlying medical problems, vaginal estrogens and testosterone therapy (therapy that helps in managing the effects of low levels of testosterone) are mostly used to increase sexual desire in women. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist and ask a free question.
Penis is a the most important symbol of manliness. A majority of men are often concerned about their organ and its wellness. Ling ke use, uske size aur shape ko lekar saath kaafi galat fehmi judi huyi hai. For example, people are always concerned about what should be the ideal size of their penis so that they are able to sexually satisfy their partner completely.
One of the other areas of concern for men is the curvature of their penis. There are a number of reasons because of which penis may become slightly curved or twisted over a period of time and one such reason is masturbation or hastmaithun.
Men who have curved penis are often worried about whether it could be something serious. However, they should not worry at all. Ling sidha kiya jaa sakta hai aur isko el life-threatening situation nahi samajhna chahiye. Agar aapko curvature ke sath sath pain bhi hai, toh aap doctor ko consult karein. Otherwise, there are several remedies that you can practice ling seedha karne le liye.
It is estimated that sirf 1 out of 100 men mein curvature naturally theek ho jata hai. However, people who start to experience problems because of the curvature can opt to go for traction. Traction is one of the fastest and effective ways to straighten the penis. It involves the use of a penis stretching device that puts a consistent, yet light pressure on the penis. Traction pehenne mein easy hai aur roz istemaal kiya jaa sakta hai.
Apart from traction, aapko kuch aur cheezo ka dhyaan rakhne ki bhi zarurat hai. For example, kuch log samajhte hain ki tight underwear pehenne se aur ling ko curvature ki opposite side mein place karne se ye theek ho jayega. However, one must know that this is not completely true.
Wearing tight underwear may help improve the curvature, however, it can put pressure on the testicles and reduce the sperm count. In addition, kum space hone ki wajah se it makes it prone to fungal and bacterial infection because of sweating. There could be some additional side effects, including difficulty urinating, low libido and erectile issues.