Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Ruchita RupaniYour feedback matters!
Hello sir, I am 20 years old and i am getting fat since 2 years. My weight is increasing slowly but regularly now it is 75kg. My diet is very strict no junk food nothing. I dring bitter gourd juice everyday as gud antioxident and exercise daily, then I dont understand the reason of weight gain, whay should I do?
Reasons Why Eggs Are The Healthiest Food on The Planet
Eggs are so nutritious that they're often referred to as “nature’s multivitamin.”
They also have unique antioxidants and powerful brain nutrients that many people are deficient in.
Here are 6 reasons why eggs are among the healthiest foods on the planet.
1. Whole Eggs Are Among The Most Nutritious Foods on Earth
One whole egg contains an amazing range of nutrients.
Just imagine… the nutrients in there are enough to turn a single fertilized cell into an entire baby chicken.
Eggs are loaded with vitamins, minerals, high quality proteins, good fats and various other lesser-known nutrients.
One large egg contains:
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 9% of the RDA.
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 15% of the RDA.
Vitamin A: 6% of the RDA.
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 7% of the RDA.
Selenium: 22% of the RDA.
Eggs also contain small amounts of almost every vitamin and mineral required by the human body… including calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, Vitamin E, Folate and many more.
A large egg contains 77 calories, with 6 grams of quality protein, 5 grams of fat and trace amounts of carbohydrates.
It’s very important to realize that almost all the nutrients are contained in the yolk, the white contains only protein.
Bottom Line: Whole eggs are incredibly nutritious, containing a very large amount of nutrients compared to the calorie load. The nutrients are found in the yolks, while the whites are mostly protein.
2. Eggs Improve Your Cholesterol Profile and do NOT Raise Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
The main reason people have been warned about eggs is that they’re loaded with cholesterol.
One large egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol, which is a LOT compared to most other foods.
However, just because a food contains cholesterol doesn’t mean that it will raise the bad cholesterol in the blood.
The liver actually produces cholesterol, every single day. If you eat cholesterol, then your liver produces less. If you don’t eat cholesterol, then your liver produces more of it.
The thing is, many studies show that eggs actually improve your cholesterol profile.
Eggs tend to raise HDL (the “good”) cholesterol and they tend to change the LDL (the “bad”) cholesterol to a large subtype which is not associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
One study discovered that 3 whole eggs per day reduced insulin resistance, raised HDL and increased the size of LDL particles in men and women with metabolic syndrome.
Multiple studies have examined the effects of egg consumption on the risk of cardiovascular disease and found no association between the two.
However, some studies do show an increased risk of cardiovascular disease in diabetic patients. This needs further research though and probably doesn't apply on a low-carb diet, which can in many cases reverse type II diabetes.
Bottom Line: Studies show that eggs actually improve the cholesterol profile. They raise HDL (the good) cholesterol and increase the size of LDL particles, which should lower the risk of heart disease.
3. Eggs Are Loaded With Choline, an Important Nutrient For The Brain
Choline is a lesser-known nutrient that is often grouped with the B-complex vitamins.
Choline is an essential nutrient for human health and is needed for various processes in the body.
It is required to synthesize the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and is also a component of cell membranes.
A low choline intake has been implicated in liver diseases, cardiovascular disease and neurological disorders.
This nutrient may be especially important for pregnant women. Studies show that a low choline intake can raise the risk of neural tube defects and lead to decreased cognitive function in the offspring.
The best sources of choline in the diet are egg yolks and beef liver. One large egg contains 113 mg of Choline.
Bottom Line: Choline is an essential nutrient . Egg yolks are an excellent source of choline.
4. Eggs Contain High Quality Proteins With a Perfect Amino Acid Profile
Proteins are the main building blocks of the body and serve both structural and functional purposes.
They consist of amino acids that are linked together, kind of like beads on a string, then folded into complex shapes.
There are about 21 amino acids that the body uses to build its proteins.
The body can not produce 9 of these amino acids, which are deemed as “essential” and must be gotten from the diet.
The quality of a protein source is determined by its relative amounts of these essential amino acids. A protein source that contains all of them in the right ratios is a good source of protein.
Eggs are among the best sources of protein in the diet. In fact, the biological value (a measure of protein quality) is often evaluated by comparing it to eggs, which are given the perfect score of 100.
Bottom Line: Eggs are an excellent source of protein, with all the essential amino acids in the right ratios.
5. Eggs Are Loaded With Lutein and Zeaxanthin, Which Protect The Eyes
There are two antioxidants in eggs that can have powerful protective effects on the eyes.
They are called Lutein and Zeaxanthin, both found in the yolk.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin tend to accumulate in the retina, the sensory part of the eye.
These antioxidants significantly reduce the risk of Macular Degeneration and Cataracts, which are among the leading causes of vision impairment and blindness in the elderly.
In one study, eating 1.3 egg yolks per day for 4.5 weeks increased blood levels of Zeaxanthin by 114-142% and Lutein by 28-50%.
Bottom Line: Eggs are very high in the antioxidants Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which can drastically reduce the risk of Macular Degeneration and Cataracts.
6. Eggs For Breakfast Can Help You Lose Body Fat
Eggs contain only trace amounts of carbohydrates, but plenty of protein and fat.
They score very high on a scale called the Satiety Index, which is a measure of how much foods contribute to satiety.
For this reason, it is not surprising to see studies where eating eggs for breakfast leads to fat loss.
In one study, 30 overweight or obese women consumed either a breakfast of eggs or a breakfast of bagels. Both breakfasts had the same amount of calories.
The women in the egg group felt more full and ate less calories for the rest of the day and for the next 36 hours.
In another study that went on for 8 weeks, eating eggs for breakfast lead to significant weight improvements compared to the same amount of calories from bagels. The egg group:
Lost 65% more body weight.
Lost 16% more body fat.
Had a 61% greater reduction in BMI.
Had a 34% greater reduction in waist circumference (a good marker for the dangerous abdominal fat).
It’s important to keep in mind that not all eggs are created equal.
Take Home Message
To top things off, eggs are cheap, taste awesome and go with almost any food.
Eggs really are an egg-ceptional superfood.
I want to know does Vitamin B12 & D effects on sex life & if it effects then how can improve this Vitamins.
I want to make a high protien vegetarian diet chart, with all the nutrients with the measure of nutrients (like the amount of zinc, calcium etc) I workout daily and want to avoid taking protien and multivitamin supplements, please let me know if it is possible with the vegetarian diet.
I am 17+ and I am thin so what can I do or take medicine to increase my muscle without any side effect ?
It seems I'm suffering from constipation, as I have pain on both sides of navel. But the main problem I'm facing the choking effect in my brain and eyes after inception of this problem in my body. Also, i'm feeling too weak to do anything. Please guide.
My wife gained nearly 22kg during pregnancy although my daughter weighed only 2.5kg at the time delivery.She lost 7 kg during the first month automatically , but it is nearly two months,she is not losing any weight since then,despite healthy foods and habit.All her tests including gestational diabetes and thyroid were and is normal.She was 55 kg when she conceived and now she is 70. Her height is 5 feet 2 inches. Please advise.
The advent of smartphones has made mobile phones far more pervasive in your life. You can now remain connected with friends and family on social media for much longer, share your life events through pictures and videos, stay on track with professional information and generally remain updated about information from all around the world. However, this constant barrage of information and the over dependence on the smartphone for work and personal affairs has taken epidemic proportions where people are unable to log off. It has now been classified as a general anxiety disorder commonly known as nomophobia which is "the fear or being away from your cellphone".
Addiction and the validity of Nomophobia
While cell phone addiction is a valid disorder, the designation of nomophobia is loosely attributed to the anxiety disorders connected to not being able to use cell phones. It’s less of a phobia and more of an addiction as you cannot be without it. These can be better enumerated by the typical symptoms when not being able to use a mobile phone.
Symptoms of mobile phone addiction:
- The ability to spend hours and hours on the cell phone without realizing how much time has passed by.
- Forced attempts to separate from the cell phone result in more time being spent with it (akin to a drug addiction).
- Incremental usages in a number of hours as you end up spending more and more hours on the phone.
- Personal and professional lives being hampered due to excessive mobile phone usage.
- Surfacing of withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, restlessness, anger and depression.
How mobile phone addiction affects people?
Different age groups are affected differently by mobile phone addiction; although some of the symptoms are fairly common. The effect tends to be far more severe on children and teenagers. Let’s look at how different age groups are affected by mobile phone addiction:
Children – Increasingly, younger children are carrying cellphones, especially smartphones. This tends to disrupt their lives as they get easily distracted and thus addicted to chatting with friends and connecting on social media. With children, appetite as well as mental development, is also hindered. In a study in the U.K., it was found that young children with mobile phones had less nutritional intake and thus had lesser and slower physical development than normal. It also affects their eyes. Direct exposure to blue light – like the one that comes from cellphone screens – can cause damage to the retina of the eye.
- Development: Apart from the similar problems mentioned with children, the performance in school tends to suffer the most along with other developmental disabilities in the brain. The human brain is still forming till the age of 25 and many of the finer faculties that develop during the teenage years get badly affected. Holistic development like hobbies, sports, communication skills are greatly hindered.
- Information overload: Teenagers also tend to be very impressionable and thus are at a risk of predation from sources all-round the internet. While aggressively watching porn, the adolescent brain is being shaped around a sexual experience that is isolating, visceral, and completely void of any love or compassion. This has the potential to lead to great problems in sexual compulsivity and sex addiction throughout the adolescent boy's life because his brain gets shaped to expect the "heroin-like" porn dopamine rush from all of his real-life sexual experiences.
- Peer pressure: Teenagers seek more and more expensive phones in order to compete or to fit in with the crowd. this not only puts more financial strain on the parents but also leads to disharmony at home.
- Friends! Let's stay connected: Very often parents complain that their teenager can do nothing else but sit by their mobile phone waiting for calls or text messages. They no longer communicate with family members and its not uncommon! Catching teenagers staying up till early hours of the morning texting or talking with friends. Their studies greatly suffer, hobbies no longer take priority and problems like irritability, poor concentration, bunking classes and other health issues are on alarming rise due to lack of sleep.
- Emotional issues: In the era where assignments, notes, outing plans, party invites and important messages are passed on in Whatsapp groups. Getting a phone call or a text message implies an importance, ‘Somebody wants Me’!! It boosts the receivers self-esteem and self-worth. The phone also feeds the desire for attention, acceptability and satisfies a teenager’s emotional drive.
- Life on Social media: Nowadays teenagers are more focussed on their Vitual lives rather than enjoying the real moments. Their Life and happiness is all about social display of every single activity and number of likes and comments on posted pictures/ status.This is particularly true for teenagers who are struggling with their identity and social status. Phone usage does not only increase the opportunity to bond with friends and to organise a social life on the move, it also provides a symbol for acceptance. This is important to a teenager’s individuality and confidence. The mobile phone feeds the personal requirements of a teenager - they provide a sense of worth ensuring popularity.
- Strained relation with parents: A great number of teens do not let anyone touch their phones. Most teenagers turn rebellious and aggressive when parents try to limit their mobile usage. When they lose their phones, they show signs of aggression which results in constant mood swings, feeling of unhappiness, and irritation on little things.
Adults – Adults, in general, tend to suffer more from disruptions at work as well as problems in their personal lives. Shortening of attention spans, irritable behavior, fatigue, inability to communicate, breakdowns in spousal relationships or even with friends and family are fairly common consequences. However, the biggest concern is the contribution to depression and anxiety which may run into non-mobile phone related extensive disorders as well.
- Communication Gap in Marriage: Believe it or not, smartphones are damaging and even ending relationships. If you are emotionally attached to your smartphone and rely on it every waking minute, it may be harming your relationship. Psychologists claim that increasing numbers of people in long-term partnerships are having to compete with their partner’s smartphone for attention, making it the ‘third wheel’ in their relationship. A survey found that almost three quarters of women in committed relationships feel that smartphones are interfering with their love life and are reducing the amount of time they spend with their partner. Spouses spend more time in social networkings like Whatsapp, Facebook and days passby without talking to each other. Do you really remember your spouse's phone number or have you just saved it in your iPhone?
- Impact on Child Bearing: Parents stay so busy with their mobiles that they don't spend quality time with their children and fill in the Lacunae by splurging on costly gifts and give them tablets/TV for passing kissing their spare time.
Mobile Use During Driving And Safety Hazards
There is considerable concern that using a mobile phone while driving creates a significant accident risk, to the user and to other people on the road, because it distracts the driver, impairs their control of the vehicle and reduces their awareness of what is happening on the road around them. When using a hand-held mobile phone, drivers must remove one hand from the steering wheel to hold and operate the phone. They must also take their eyes off the road, at least momentarily, to pick up and put down the phone and to dial numbers.While using a hand-held phone, the driver must continue to simultaneously operate the vehicle (steer, change gear, use indicators, etc) with only one hand.
Some tips for de-addiction
Some easy tips that you can follow to start your de–addiction process are mentioned below –
- Ensure that the first 30 minutes of the day after waking up are only for you. Don’t be tempted to look at the phone immediately after you wake up.
- Create specific no phone time zones in a day where no matter how big the urge is, you don’t check your phone. These could be during any time of the day and try incrementally stretching the amount of time that you can be without your phone each time.
- Use driving as an excuse to turn off your phone. This not only helps in fighting addiction but also lowers the chances of automobile accidents caused due to distracted driving.
- Keep a cutoff time for phone usage and switch your phone off at least an hour before your hit the sack. This will stop you from playing late night games and help you sleep better as well. When you feel the urge to check your phone, close your eyes and take a deep breath. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.