Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Weight Management Treatment
Customised Diet Chart
Diet Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Weight Loss Treatment
Child Nutrition Management
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Food Plan Preparation
Healthy Heart Diet
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Treatment Of Restenosis
Asthma Treatment & Management
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Prerna GediaYour feedback matters!
The process of ageing differs from person to person. Some tend to age faster than their biological age in comparison to others that look refreshingly young always. This ageing process is often dependent on your lifestyle, dietary habits and environment and all the other habits that you maintain every day.
Let's have a look at some of your habits that may be are responsible in making you look older:
- Bad sleeping habits: Your body needs to reinvigorate itself every day and for this to happen, you need to make sleeping a priority. While everyone's sleep requirements are different, seven to eight hours of fitful sleep is required daily.
- Having a sweet tooth: Excess of anything is not good, especially when you're not exactly sweet sixteen always. A diet with an overt emphasis on sugar, will only add to your waistline. Its end products tend to damage the collagen and the elastin, leading to saggy and wrinkled skin.
- Smoking: It is a known fact that is damaging to your health, but it also speeds up ageing. Its harmful chemicals deprive your cells of oxygen leading to a pale appearance. They also break down the collagen in the skin, once again leading to wrinkly skin.
- Drinking: Being a natural diuretic, alcohol causes dehydration. This robs your skin of its natural moisture, making you look much older. It also rids your body of Vitamin A and C that are antioxidants important for making your skin to make it look supple and well hydrated.
- Exposure to sun rays: Sun rays only do more harm to your skin than good. Exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun can weaken your blood cells, which can make your skin look leathery. It can lead to pigmentation of skin as well followed by sagging and wrinkles.
- Not enough veggies: Veggies are essentially antioxidants that help you look youthful, but they only last for so long and must be replenished daily. It is important to take care of your body and making small changes to your everyday routine can go a long way to slow that ageing process and make you look young and refreshing.
I am a 24 years old, my lower body is too fat. Can't reduce the wait of my lower body. I done diet, I went to gym. No use of it. Can I know what's the reason?
I am over weight and I want to reduce my weight but without any medicine used please advise me very fast now.
Homeopathic medications are consumed with water or without water? Cause someone told me that it is consumed without water and it seems difficult to swallow them without water. Please help!
I am not able to eat sweet things please help me I am suffering from diabetes. Any permanent treatment is welcome. Please help me.
Is there any fastest way to reduce weight. My weight has been a problem for me for many days. Any solution please do reply.
I am 18 years old and I have weight 99 kg and have belly fat so I want to decrease it what should be precautions that can be taken to reduce fat in 4 month nearly 10 kg.
I am 45 years old have diabetic in random 106 and high blood pressure 130/90. What kind of fruit and food I eat?
I am all time feel illness. And fell all time headache. Please help me please answer my question quickly.
I want to know about weight loss treatment by which I can only lose my tummy and it has no side effect and not loses anything else.
I am not able to know the correct food to be taken before going to workout and is drinking water before exercise good for health?
I am 26 years old. Now I weighs 51 kg. I am not feeling that much hungry all time and I eat very less. Is there anyway to increase weight or to feel hungry?
On the other hand, only miniscule amounts of steroid medication enter the bloodstream after inhaling it. The reasons for this difference include the following. First, steroids used for inhalational treatment of asthma are designed not cross well from the surface of the bronchial tubes into the bloodstream. Somewhat like applying a steroid cream to the skin, they are poorly absorbed from the surface into the blood. Second, only very small amounts of steroid medication are delivered from the inhalers with each dose or "puff" Less medicine is needed when it can be directly applied to the affected area. We measure the amounts of steroids inhaled in micrograms, which are units one thousand times smaller than the milligrams by which we measure prednisone or Medrol® tablets.
When breathed in, some steroid medicine remains in the mouth and can be swallowed into the stomach and from there absorbed into the bloodstream. You can minimize any effect from steroids left behind in your mouth in two ways. First, use a spacer tube with your steroid spray. (A spacer can not be used with budesonide [Pulmicort®] dry powder inhaler.) Medicine that would otherwise land on your tongue and mouth stays in the spacer chamber. The part of the spray that passes through the spacer also tends to pass through your mouth and proceed down onto the bronchial tubes. Second, rinse your mouth with water after inhaling the steroid spray. Rinsing removes any medicine residue from your mouth. The portion of the medicine that helps your asthma remains undisturbed on your bronchial tubes.
So much for the theory; what about the actual experience with steroids in inhaled form? The current generation of steroid inhalers first began to be used in the mid 1960s. For more than three decades they have been prescribed for millions of people with asthma and other lung diseases worldwide. No serious long-term adverse effects have emerged. For adults, given in the usual doses, they do not cause degeneration (atrophy) of the normal tissues of the respiratory passageway. They do not predispose to lung infections. They do not cause cancer, diabetes, or high blood pressure.
We need to look more carefully at the two phrases used above: "for adults" and "in the usual doses" Children's bones may be sensitive to the very small amounts of steroids that can enter the bloodstream after inhalation. There is currently debate ? and considerable on-going research ? to determine whether in children inhaled steroids might slow bone growth and reduce a child's ultimate height.
Also, when given in very large doses (many puffs from a high-concentration steroid inhaler), the amount of steroid medicine that spills over into the bloodstream can become significant. Although the effect is small, like a very small dose of prednisone, over the years this small effect can potentially add up to serious harmful effects. High doses of inhaled steroids taken for a long time can probably predispose to cataracts, glaucoma, and thinning of the skin and bones. As a result, your doctor will probably only have you take high doses of inhaled steroids as a means to avoid steroid tablets. And he/she will constantly work with you to attempt to reduce the dose of inhaled steroids to a more conventional and safer range.
Remember that not taking inhaled steroids for fear of side effects may have real consequences that are far worse than potential effects in the future; namely, asthma symptoms and risk of asthma attacks now. Severe asthma attacks are usually treated with steroid tablets, which all agree have the worst side effects.
What is insulin therapy?
Insulin is a hormone that is responsible for keeping the level of sugar in the blood under control. It is the primary therapy used for the treatment of any type of diabetes. The dependence on insulin depends on the balance between the actual production of insulin in the body and the resistance of the body cells to the insulin produced. People, who suffer from diabetes type 1, need insulin injections lifelong. The requirement for insulin therapy in people suffering from type 2 diabetes solely depends upon the declining function of the beta-cells over time.
What are the types of insulin available in the market?
The various types of insulin available in the market are:
- Rapid acting insulin: The onset of action in this type of insulin is rapid and it lasts for a short duration, about two hours.
- Short acting or regular insulin: The onset of action is moderate, and it starts acting within half an hour, and the duration of action ranges from 3 to 6 hours.
- Intermediate acting insulin: It takes about 2 to 4 hours for the onset of action of this type of insulin and the effect can remain for about 18 hours.
- Long acting insulin: The duration of action of this type of insulin can last up to about an entire day.
How is it taken?
Insulin injections can be self-injected using a syringe, a needle, a cartridge system, or a pre-filled pen system. Devices for inhaling insulin, quick-acting insulin and insulin pumps are also available at medical stores and pharmacies. Insulin is injected subcutaneously, into your muscles. Try to ensure that you inject around the same area every time, but choose a different spot to ensure less scarring. The best areas to inject insulin are thighs, buttocks, arms and belly. If you take regular insulin, it is advised to take it half an hour before a meal.
What are the possible side effects?
- Low blood sugar level
- Scars and lumps from extensive usage of insulin injection
- Rashes can be found in the area the insulin is injected or sometimes, all over the body
- Weight gain when you start using insulin initially
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an endocrinologist.