Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in kolkata. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Megha Jalan
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Megha JalanYour feedback matters!
Man had been a hunter-gatherer for thousands of year prior to discovering that settling down and engaging in agriculture did have its merits, especially by the way of an easier lifestyle! Many people today are going in for contemporary diets which are plant based. But what exactly does that mean? And are there benefits which make the effort worth one’s while?
A plant based diet has a pretty large variety of benefits. While it was a rather predominant belief in the years gone by that animal protein was essential for proper nutrition of a person, this is something that has long been debunked. As a matter of fact, plant based diets have been found to be worthy of providing the same level of protein to a person, but just without all the side effects that eating meat has. Who wanted those side effects, anyway? It is not like they are worth bearing with just for the taste of the meat!
The environment is saved a lot of strain as rearing meat for human consumption is very hard on it. It is quite a startling fact that meat oriented emissions are higher than what is emitted by planes, trains and trucks and the like. Taking into due account the fact that tens of thousands of people are up in the air at any given moment and millions are crisscrossing countries by road, can you imagine what sort of emissions those are, then? This thought was enough to cause the Beatle Paul McCartney to start a campaign to make Mondays in the UK meat free!
Meat is generally known to be more expensive than vegetarian or plant-based options. This is especially true when it comes to cities as the meat has to be kept refrigerated while it is transported until it is bought. So, for a person who is looking to save a reasonable amount of money, by going to a plant based diet, he or she would be doing this almost without the intention to do so!
Losing weight is not an easy task, to say the least. However, with a plant based diet, this task is made quite a bit easier! There are various types of fat and it must be said that not all of them are bad for the body. As a general rule, it is rare for meat to contain as high a level of good fats in relation to bad fats, as vegetarian food does. What this means is that the entire effort to lose weight just got a lot easier; all that is required is a rational choice when it comes to a person’s diet! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Eating healthy is very helpful for your mental and also your physical well-being. The mind requires nutrients just like your heart, muscles and lungs do. These can be derived from the following ingredients.
- Berries: Berries, particularly dark ones, such as cherries, blackberries and blueberries, are a great source of anthocyanins and different flavonoids that can boost your memory. Try to consume these in small portions at least twice a day. You can enjoy a handful in the form of snacks, add them in your cereal or bake them into a dessert like muffins or pancakes. Fresh, frozen or dried berries and cherries can reap you a lot of benefits other than memory boost as well.
- Avocados: Avocados are green powerhouse and are stuffed with mono-saturated fats containing both vitamin K and folate. Avocados prevent blood clots in the brain, protect you against strokes and enhance the cognitive capacity of the brain, both in terms of memory as well as concentration.
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains large amounts of vitamin K and choline. It tends to help keep your memory sharp. It is also filled with vitamin C where just one glass provides you with 150% of your recommended every day consumption.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil fills in as a naturally calming, anti-inflammatory agent. It stiffens the cells in charge of inflammation and aggravation. It can help with memory loss as you age and will kill awful microscopic organisms that are present in your gut.
- Salmon: Salmon is a well-known ingredient amongst the most nutritious and healthy food items recommended for the brain. It is highly rich in Omega-3 unsaturated fats and keeps the brain running, gets rid of brain fog and improves memory.
- Pumpkin seeds: Highly rich in zinc than most seeds, pumpkin seeds supply this highly valuable mineral which is very important for improving memory and thinking abilities. These little seeds are also loaded with stress-busting magnesium, B vitamins and tryptophan that is a precursor to the good mood substance called serotonin.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are very well known for a positive impact on the heart’s health. Walnuts may likewise enhance the working memory and boost it further. One can take them as a snack at any point in the day, be it to fulfill late morning hunger or add them to cereal or serving of mixed vegetables for crunch. You can also blend them into a vegetable panfry for additional protein.
Different kinds of food products have different effects on the body as well as the brain. To have a healthy body, one definitely needs to have a sound and healthy mind. Eating junk food blocks certain functions of the brain over the years whereas, a healthy diet may help in keeping you physically, mentally and psychologically healthy.
Is there any good and safe protein supplement for people above 50 years. Preferably herbal or ayurvedic?
With information being bombarded at us from every side, it often becomes difficult to sift through myths and facts. Indigestion is something many people commonly suffer from and probiotics have become an increasingly popular way to treat this condition. Like everything else probiotics are surrounded by a number of myths and misconceptions. Here are the top 3 myths you shouldn’t fall for when talking about probiotics.
Only people with digestion issues need probiotics
We think of probiotics only when suffering from indigestion and stomach upset, but probiotics do much more than cure the occasional stomach cramp. Probiotics can improve a person’s overall health by reducing sugar cravings and strengthening the immune system. It also helps improve the quality of sleep and boosts energy levels. Regular intake of probiotic supplements has also proven to be beneficial for weight loss. By aiding the digestion process, probiotics also help rid the body of toxins and thus, promote clear and healthy skin. These supplements are especially useful when unwell and should be taken along with antibiotics to fight off possible indigestion that may occur as a side effect of the medication.
All probiotics are the same
Walk into a supermarket and you’re bound to see at least half a dozen different types of probiotics. Probiotics can be had in many forms ranging from yogurt to probiotics supplements. Even if you consume yogurt on a daily basis, it may be a good idea to supplement your meals with a probiotic in cases of chronic indigestion. However, not all probiotics are the same. Probiotics vary in terms of potency and the strain of bacteria they concentrate on. Some of these supplements need to be refrigerated while others do not. However, the method of preservation does not affect the efficacy of the supplement. Also, the same probiotics may affect two people in different ways. This is because there are millions of potential combinations for gut flora. Hence, it is important to find a probiotic that works well for you.
Probiotic – prebiotic – they’re the same thing!
Probiotics and prebiotics both work to improve digestion, but the difference between them is more than a single alphabet. While probiotics refer to the bacteria itself that will multiply in your gut and aid in digestion, prebiotics contains fibre and starche that will nourish bacteria and help gut bacteria flourish. Thus, in a way, prebiotics ‘fertilize’ probiotics. Unlike probiotics that are affected by temperature changes and gradually expelled from the body, prebiotics are not destroyed in the body.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!