Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dietitian/Nutritionists in India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Weight Management Treatment
Customised Diet Chart
Diet Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Weight Loss Treatment
Child Nutrition Management
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Food Plan Preparation
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Healthy Heart Diet
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Submit a review for Dt. Adyanthaya KishoreYour feedback matters!
What are summer fruits?
Like the name suggests, the term “summer fruits” refers to a variety of fruits that are easily available, during the summer season. During the summer it is common for people to lose their appetites, which makes them stay away from rich and heavy foods. Fruits that are juicy and tart seem to be the most naturally cooling effect on the body, during summers. Hence, when it gets too hot, several people rely exclusively upon recipes made using summer fruits and vegetables. Summer fruits can be used in a variety of foods and beverages.
However, in addition to satisfying the taste buds and refreshing the body, most summer fruits are very healthy. This is because they are very high in vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, phyto-chemicals and fiber. The amount of fat that is present in most of the summer fruits is negligible, but there can be some exceptions.
Moreover, since the water content of most summer fruits is between 80% and 90%, they can help add a healthy and radiant glow on the skin.
List of summer fruits
There are several varieties of fruits that are available during the summer. Given below is a lost of some of the most common summer fruits, as well as the health benefits that are associated with it.
• Apricots: High in Beta carotene, which gets converted to Vitamin A by the body
• Berries: High in antioxidants and help the body fight off several diseases
• Cherries: Contain diuretic properties, as well as Vitamin C
• Honeydew melon: Help treating infections in the urinary tract
• Mangoes: Rich in Vitamin C & E & also contain potassium, iron & nicotinic acid
• Nectarines: Can help with fluid retention, constipation and high cholesterol
• Papayas: Great for weight loss and can also help in improving digestion. It is often used as a natural remedy for constipation too.
• Peaches: Can reduce anemia, fatigue as well as high cholesterol
• Pineapples: Contains antioxidants that protect the body against diseases and are also great
for digestion and weight loss.
• Watermelons: Can help treat kidney, bladder and other digestive problems
Once in season, it is easy to purchase these summer fruits and vegetables from anywhere, like a fruit market, or a grocery store. These fruits can all be mixed together to make a tasty and nutritious fruit salad or a smoothie. Fixing a salad is very easy as compared to other recipes. For those who are not really watching their weight, a summer fruit trifle could make a tempting dessert.
Summer is the season where the sun rays are at their highest peak. To stay well hydrated is very important in these days. Although most of the fruits like apples, bananas, or pears are now available through out the year, some fruits are seasonal. Summer along with the scorching heat also brings these sensational seasonal fruits like pineapples, watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew melon, mangoes, cherries, strawberries, and other beautiful berries. These fruits not only satisfy our taste buds but are also great as a part of a balanced diet. They provide vital vitamins and minerals, fiber, phytochemicals and antioxidants with negligible amount of fat. Fruits have approximately 80-90% water, natural sugars and give you a healthy, radiant looking skin.
Summer fruits and health benefits –
Watermelon – this summer fruit not only helps to quench the thirst but is also a good source of beta carotene, vitamin C, pectin, lycopene, potassium and iron.
Apricots – fresh apricots are good source of iron, vitamin C, beta carotene, potassium and fiber. Dried apricots help people with fluid retention and constipation. The health benefits of apricots includes anemia, cancer, skin diseases, fevers, earache, indigestion and constipation.
Berries – enjoy most of the berries in summer. Strawberries with stem intact can be stored up to one year with or without added sugar. The phytochemicals in blue berries, blackberries, strawberries helps boost immunity, have a protective effect against cancer, protects against heart diseases and circulatory problems. Cranberries have a healing effect in urinary tract infection.
Peaches and plums – contain good amount of vitamin C, beta carotene, antioxidant phytochemicals and anthocyanins all of which help to eliminate the free radicals from the body.
Papayas and mangoes – both are excellent source of vitamin C, beta carotene, vitamin A and fiber. Eating sufficient amount of mangoes alone can make the body a rich store of vitamin A which lasts for months.
Cherries – bright red cherries not only taste great but also contain ellagic acid which inhibits the growth of carcinogenic cells in the body.
Pineapples – besides being packed with most of the vitamins and minerals, pineapple is a very good source of an enzyme bromelain which aids digestion.
For variety you can even try fresh fruit salad with some flavored low-fat yoghurt or just a plain fruit salad for dessert.
A fresh fruit juice will also help to satisfy thirst and avoid dehydration in summer months. But avoid consuming preserved fruit juices which contains preservatives, added sugar and negligible fiber in it.
Summer is a great season to enjoy these delicious seasonal fruits not only to satisfy your sweet taste buds but also to gain maximum nutritional benefits from them.
I sleep very much at least for 10hours I need sleep. How can I decrease sleep and start exercising at morning for the good health and get more positive energy.
Hi, I am 18 years old I eat lot of thing but I cannot gain weight than tell what should I eat to get weight I also prefer protein powder but it didn't effect please tell me tips to get weight.
I am 18 years old but my weight is just 40 kg. I want to become fat as soon as possible. So what shall I do and what is reason that I am so thin?
I am 28 year old female. I m suffering from acute sinus problem for last 10 years. I have consulted many good doctors and taken prescribed allopathy medicine for long time. But with no relief or with less temporary relief. 5 year back I have also gone a nasal operation but it did not fully cure my problem. SINCE FEBRUARY 2014 I AM SUFFERING FROM VERY ACUTE PROBLEM. VERY UNBEARABLE STINK BAD SMELL COMES FROM MY NOSE. IT IS TOO MUCH EMBARRASSING. NOW I AM TAKING HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT SINCE MARCH 2014. INITIALLY I FELT SOME RELIEF BUT FOR LAST ONE MONTH MY PROBLEM IS AGAIN AGGRAVATED. NOW I FEEL RARE HEADACHE. BUT FEEL VERY TIRED ALWAYS. VERY BAD STINK SMELL COMES FROM MY NOSE WHICH IS FELT BY PEOPLE EVEN 10 FEET AWAY. PLEASE SUGGEST ME POSSIBLE CURE AND TREATMENT. ALSO SUGGEST ME GOOD DOCTOR. THANK YOU.
I am 34 years old. My weight is very high. 100 K.G.I want decrease my weight. Please give suggestion, what I can do? Please give diet tips also.
Here are some tips that will help you to overcome lifestyle diseases
Does green tea cause loss of appetite? I am trying to increase my weight but I drink green tea. Should I continue that? Is green tea beneficial for skin as well?
Is there any steroids or any tablets for instant weight gaining ?Plzzz help I want to weight gain in 10 days any supplements for gaining weight instantly?
I am 18 years old. My weight is 50 and my height is 52. I want to increase my height. So what should I do?
I am having big belly and I tried lot of exercises but getting no results. Sir please consult me, how can I fix this problem. Thank you.
Ayurveda is an ancient life science that originated in India. It recognises herbs as medicines and Yogic postures as well as lifestyle changes as the supporting factors in its medicinal field. It is called a life science because the basic mode of treatment is done by tweaking one's lifestyle in order to reach the root cause of the ailment, which will be cleared from one's life gradually. Congestion is recognised as the accumulation of too much mucus and fluid in your lungs and is usually born due to an imbalance of the Vata Dosha, as per Ayurveda. This congestion can happen in the nasal or respiratory passages.
Let us find out what else Ayurveda says about congestion:
- Symptoms: The symptoms of congestion include a tickling sensation at the back of the throat as well as the nasal passages, depending on the exact area of the congestion. Also, severe headaches and wheezing along with laboured breathing and tightening of the chest can point at the presence of congestion. In very severe cases, the patient may also complain of blood discharge while coughing, high fever, rashes on the skin, neck stiffness and other such conditions.
- Causes: There are various causes of congestion. While infection, allergy and cold are some of the most common conditions that may cause congestion, it has also been seen that congestion may arise as a symptom of a more serious ailment. Asthma is one such respiratory ailment that causes swelling in the airways, which can give rise to congestion. Also, inflammation of the bronchial tube lining can cause this condition where a greenish discharge happens due to the viral nature of the condition. Pneumonia and tuberculosis are also ailments, which can cause severe and painful congestion.
- Remedies: As per Ayurveda, there are many remedies that can help in treating this condition. One can drink herbal tea all day as the anti-oxidants will help in flushing out all those toxins that are causing a painful build-up of mucus and fluids inside. Also, one can use essential oils like eucalyptus oil for inhalation, steaming and even massages. One must take care not to let this oil touch the hair as greying might happen. Yoga and aromatherapy can also be practiced so as to do away with congestion. Also, the patient can add a pinch of salt to a glass of warm water in order to do a saline water gargle which will eventually clear the air passages.
Taking care of one's diet is one of the most important parts of any treatment in Ayurveda. Ingesting warm liquids like milk and warm food can help in loosening and removing the mucus build up.