Find numerous Pulmonologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Management Program
Management of Smoking Cessation
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Asthma Treatment & Management
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Yatin DholakiaYour feedback matters!
I have cough, How can I remove cough completely from my chest please give any best suggestion for it.
I am a heavy smoker. I have lung cancer and copd. I am unable to stop smoking. I have anxiety and depression. Please suggest me how to get rid of my habit.
I am suffering from a dry cough. It happening from long time. Please tell me the right way to recover.
Hello everyone. I am 25 year old boy. I love singing and I want to sing throughout my life. Its my life When I was 11 years old I had operation for tonsils. After that I did not notice but there is a lot of change in my voice. There is always a little cough in my throat And I can't even speak too loudly as much as singing needs Please help me and suggest me any medicine to clear my throat and voice.
COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a lung disease wherein, it gets difficult for a person to breathe due to thickening and inflammation of airways. World COPD day is being celebrated on 16th November, in order to, raise wareness about COPD. It is a group of progressive lung diseases, the most common ones of which are emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Emphysema destroys your lungs’ air sacs while bronchitis leads to the inflammation and narrowing of your bronchial tubes.
Symptoms of COPD
The early symptoms of COPD include occasional shortness of breath, especially after physical exercise, mild and recurrent cough and having the urge to clear your throat many times. You may start avoiding physical activities eventually. Other symptoms, which follow include wheezing, chest tightness, chronic cough with mucus, an urge to clear mucus from the lungs, frequent flu, colds and fatigue.
Factors behind it
Smoking accounts for being the major cause of COPD in developed countries. Commonly, people over the age of 40 with a history of smoking are affected with COPD. The more you smoke, more are your chances of getting the condition increase. Exposure to chemicals and harmful fumes may also cause COPD. Long-term exposure to polluted air and inhaling dust are other causes. The deficiency of a protein called alpha-1-antitrypsin is also said to cause COPD.
COPD is diagnosed on the basis of several tests and examinations. They include spirometry, which is a noninvasive test for assessing lung function, imaging tests such as a chest X-ray or CT scan which provides an image of the lung for observation. An arterial blood gas test is also carried out for measuring blood oxygen levels.
The treatment options for COPD include the following:
- Medication: Bronchodilators are used for relaxing the muscles of your lungs’ airways which simplify breathing. They are taken via inhalers. Glucocorticosteroids may be added to reduce inflammation.
- Oxygen therapy: When your blood oxygen levels are low, oxygen is given via masks and nasal prongs which help you to breathe better.
- Surgery: Surgery is carried out in the case of severe COPD or when other treatment methods fail. Bullectomy is a common surgical procedure used, in which the large air sacs or “bullae” are removed from the lungs. The lung volume reduction surgery is also carried out in which damaged lung tissues are removed. Lung transplant is required in extreme cases.
- Lifestyle changes: You need to make some lifestyle changes to alleviate the symptoms of COPD which include the following:
- Quit smoking in case you are a regular smoker.
- Avoid any form of second-hand smoke and chemical fumes.
- Consume all the essential nutrients required by your body.
- Consult a doctor about your exercise patterns.
In case you experience any symptom of COPD, you should consult a doctor immediately for quick diagnosis and proper treatment.