Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Submit a review for Dr. Yasmin S SiddiquiYour feedback matters!
Feeling tired all the time? Do you feel that you can’t focus on things anymore? Have you lost interest in things and people you once loved spending time with? Does your temper fly off the hook at the drop of a hat? If it is a ‘yes’ to the questions above, then you might be slowly but steadily succumbing to depression. Depression is a psychological disorder that is characterized by symptoms of extreme sadness, worthlessness and hopelessness over a prolonged period of time.
- Lack of Interest: This is probably the starkest of all the symptoms. Hobbies or activities that you used to enjoy once no longer catch your fancy. You do not find little or no pleasure in social activities or any other hobby of yours anymore.
- A constant Feeling of Hopelessness: You tend to develop a negative outlook towards life in general, as you feel that the current situation will never get better and will only worsen.
- Loss of Appetite: Loss of appetite is a common feature of depression; it can also lead to rapid weight loss. If engulfed by depression, one generally tends to ignore food completely, remain hungry, both of which contribute to the vicious cycle that depression is.
- Changes in Sleep Patterns: Insomnia is a condition that is marked by a sheer inability to sleep, no matter how physically exhausted one is. Depression tends to exhibit this particular symptom in maximum cases. However, oversleeping, or sleeping more than the sufficient hours is also common.
- Reckless Behavior: Depression makes one more prone to reckless behavior; one generally develops an angry and irritated persona; this in turn, may make one to exhibit reckless and rash behavior.
- Lack of Energy and Focus: Depression causes one to feel fatigued and sluggish the entire day. Factors such as a total loss of appetite contribute to this particular symptom. Stemming from these symptoms are two other major occurrences; an inability to focus on anything and an inability to decide on anything.
Self-help, Coping tips and Treatment-
- Connect with different people: Being isolated from the rest can and usually aggravates symptoms of depression. So, reach out to other people and your loved ones; talk to your loved ones and try to empty your mind when you are having a one-to-one with them. Interacting and talking to others will make you feel better and should go a long way in taking that huge rock off your chest.
- Try to ditch that sedentary lifestyle; go out in the open: An early morning jog can feel daunting at first but the benefits are immense. Exercising regularly has been proven to be as effective as anti-depressants in combatting depression. Even a 20 minutes jog early in the morning releases ‘endorphins’ in the body, also known as the ‘feel good hormones’. These hormones induce a feeling of happiness and relaxation, thus taking your mind off any particular event or circumstance that has been ruining your sanctity of late.
- Avoid Alcohol and Drugs: Avoid alcohol and drugs to come out of your sadness; they have never helped and will never help. Taking these substances provides a temporary solution to depression, as it will again show up once the effects of the intoxicants wear off. It will also interfere with other medications that you may be taking to combat depression, thus reducing their potency.
- It’s high time you bought the meditating mat: Sleep has a beneficial effect on your mental health as it has been proven to improve memory and other cognitive and brain functions. Another way to improve brain function and be more relaxed is to meditate regularly. Meditation induces a state of relaxation, and if done on a regular basis, can be an effective treatment for depression. Meditation also helps with an improved focus and reduced anxiety.
- Medications can always help: Medications such as anti-depressants are administered to treat depression. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), including citalopram, fluoxetine and sertraline are the most commonly administered medications to cure this condition. However, it is advised to try the abovementioned methods first so that you do not have to depend on medications alone; the reason being that these medications do have their fair share of side effects.
I'm 44 years old male and I have been suffering from depression for last 20 yrs. But till now I can't overcome it. What should I do?
It's any medicine to have the clear the drink and smoking habits because he too much of addicted and he didn't go the treatment Center, but he will try personally but not possible. So please advice me if have any medicine I will pay. Thank you.
Sharpen memory: In case you have a short term memory or face other memory problems, various forms of B vitamins supplements will help you to regain the optimal state of mind.
I am a second year b tech student. But I am not interested to study nowadays. I was an above average student in my school period. But now I can't spend even a 10 minutes in front of my books. What happened to me? help me if you can.
I am 31 year old female. I am suffering from many health problems. Like hypo thyroid. Taking 75mg thyroxin medicine. Every month facing genital herpes. It happened after marriage. I got marriage in 2012 and in 2013 I got divorce. Now depression, tremors in hands and legs fast heart beat sleeplessness. What should I do.
I have a major problem in internal parts. I may ask about any problems and you give me good suggestions from you because I'm fully depressed to this major problem.
From last 6 years I am smoking cigrate bt now I want to leave it. So can you please help me with that.
Hi Doctor. My daughter 17 years . Sleeps around 2to3 am. Wake's up around 1 pm. She will not study . Chat with friends and watch internet. I got fed up by saying.
I am 29 year old female, I have permanent voice like mera gala beta ho (infected throat) is there any way I can improve my voice so it comes clean if I speak loudly I have pain in my throat.
Suicide is a type of Deliberate Self Harm (DSH) and is defined as a human act of self-intentioned and self-inflicted death. It ends with fatal outcome. Suicide is among the top ten causes of death in India and most other countries. It is also one of the most important psychiatric emergencies all over the world.
Most of the times, suicidal attempts don’t go unaccompanied with warning signs and risk factors. Either the behaviour of a person or the way he talks acts as warning. In order to relate what warning signs a person with suicidal inclination can give, read further.
How can talking help identity a Suicide Warning signs?
1.The person often talks about committing suicide
2.The person sees life as meaningless and without any vigor
3.The person feels like he is a burden on those connected to him
4.The person wishes to seek revenge from someone who hurt him emotionally
5.The person feels like he has been trapped in his life and doesn’t enjoy it
6.The person suffers from unbearable psychological or physical pain
How can behavior help in identifying suicide warning signs?
The inclination of a person towards suicidal thoughts increases if he starts to show a new type of behavior or if he shows negative changes in behavior. Such behavioral changes often follow loss of a loved one, any painful change or unacceptable events.
The person starts to give away some of his most valuable possessions.
The person suffers from panic attacks.
The person starts to call his friends and relatives to bid goodbye.
The person shows changes in sleeping habits like sleeping too little or too much.
The person withdraws from day-to-day activities which once formed an indispensable part of his life.
The person starts to act irresponsibly.
The person increases the consumption of alcohol or usage of drugs.
The person searches for ways to kill oneself and searches for poison, guns or other drugs online.
Identifying the Risk Factors of a Potential Suicide
The presence of risk factors increases the likelihood of a suicidal attempt. The greater is the number of risk factors, the greater the risks. Generally, there are three main heads under which suicidal risk factors can be classified. These are:
Close acquaintance with a suicide incident
Life events that cause stress such as loss of beloved, divorce or loss of job
Never-ending stress such as marriage or relationship troubles, job issues, harassment, etc.
Gaining access to certain deadly means such as guns or drugs
Problems related to mental health (Depression, Schizophrenia ,Borderline personality disorder)
Excessive alcohol consumption
Suicidal tendency of an individual can be linked with historical factors such as:
Prior history of any suicidal attempts by the individual in the past
If the person’s family had any history of suicidal attempts or suicidal deaths in the past
Misconceptions Regarding Suicide
People who talk about suicide don’t commit suicide
Suicide happens without warning
Suicidal persons are fully intent on dying
Once a person is suicidal, he is suicidal for ever
All suicidal persons are mentally ill or psychotic
What should you do if you suspect that someone is at the risk of committing suicide?
Consider it a serious situation.
Do not leave the person alone even for a moment.
Inspect physical surroundings and remove all means of committing suicide, such as sharp objects ropes, drugs, and fire arms. Also search patient thoroughly. Hide all fatal means like drugs or firearms which you think he can use to harm himself.
Take the person to an emergency ward or a psychiatrist if you feel that the condition of person is crossing limits.
I lost somebody which is more closer to me last year. We were together for last 20 years of our life. And now I feel so depressed. I can not even concentrate on my studies properly? What should I do to overcome this situation?
I smoke 6 cigars every what will happen if smoke that many of cigars. Plss ans. And how we can forget that.
I am 24 years old. Some times I get over tension. I can't stopped that type of activity. Many times I try treatment but no use. What will I do?
Unwanted thoughts can make you feel anxious or depressed. They may keep you from enjoying your life.
A technique called thought-stopping can help you stop unwanted thoughts.
- What you think can affect how you feel. Thought-stopping helps you change how you think so that you feel better.
- Changing your thinking will take some time. You need to practice thought-stopping every day. After a while, you'll be able to stop unwanted thoughts right away.
- Some people may need more help to stop unwanted thoughts. Talk to your doctor or a therapist if you want more help to stop thoughts that bother you.