Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Allergist/Immunologists in India. You will find Allergist/Immunologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Allergist/Immunologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Wiqar ShaikhYour feedback matters!
Hi I am 70 years old and am suffering from asthama from the last 25 years, i am not a drinker, smoker and diabitic, inhaillor, tiate, budamate 400 and tab deraphylin 450 after dinner inthe mornig steam inhaillor and thereafter inj betnesol+deraphlin is taken when acute, nebulizer is also taken before lunch, i am feeling very weak and am unable even to walk 100 steps. Please advise what to do,
If you use preventer medicine there is a small risk of having a sore tongue, sore throat, hoarseness of the voice and a mouth infection called thrush. To help prevent these side effects, rinse your mouth out and brush your teeth after using your preventer inhaler. Using a spacer will also help reduce the possibility of thrush.
Children should be monitored closely if they are taking preventer medicines - especially for growth.
It is possible that long-term and high-dose use of preventer medicines (inhaled steroids) may cause some other side effects (See 'Side effects of long-term use of steroid tablets, below). That is why your doctor and asthma nurse will try to keep you on the lowest dose to control your symptoms.
Several studies have suggested the possibility of a very slight increased risk of the development of cataracts in elderly people who have used inhaled steroids. As with use of all medicines, careful attention needs to be paid to the risk versus benefit argument and it's as likely that any risk can be reduced by always using the lowest possible dose of medication to control the condition.
Side effects of steroid tablets
Short term use
For a small number of people, a short-term course of steroid tablets, can lower the body's resistance to chickenpox, so you should contact your doctor if you or your child are taking steroid tablets and you/they come into contact with chickenpox. If your doctor thinks you are at risk they can give you an injection to protect you.
Other possible side effects from taking a short course of steroid tablets are mood swings (especially in children) and increased hunger.
There are very few other side effects from taking occasional (three to four) short courses of steroids per year. However it is important to keep the number of courses to a minimum by making sure you are using enough of your other regular inhaled medicines.
Long term use
A small minority of people with severe asthma need to take steroid tablets for a longer period. However, taking steroid tablets regularly, for long periods of time (months or years) can have serious side effects for some people.
For these reasons your doctor and asthma nurse will always try to prescribe the smallest possible dose of daily steroid tablets. It is very important that you continue to take your other asthma treatments regularly to keep the need for steroid tablets to a minimum.
If you have severe asthma and you have been prescribed long-term steroid tablets your doctor and asthma nurse should discuss and consult with you about the risk of side effects against the benefits of controlling your asthma symptoms (if untreated, severe asthma can lead to permanent lung damage).
The possible side effects of long-term use of steroid tablets are:
Fattened face (moon face)
Feeling hungry and wanting to eat more (this extra eating can lead to weight gain)
Feeling 'hyped up' and over active with difficulty sleeping
Feeling depressed or having sudden mood swings
Heartburn and indigestion
Brittle bones (osteoporosis)
Altering diabetic control or uncovering a tendency to diabetes
Chickenpox may be more serious
Risk of cataract increases
Steroid tablets do not have any side effects that damage the heart.
What can I do about side effects of steroid tablets?
Most importantly, don't smoke. If you smoke, bone thinning side effects are worse. Your general asthma control will also be helped if no one in your household smokes. If your partner gives up smoking, it may mean you can cut down on your dose of steroid tablet.
Taking steroid tablets first thing in the morning may have some benefit in decreasing side effects.
People who need to take regular steroid tablets can use daily calcium supplements, although there is no clear scientific evidence to prove that these are useful.
Weight-bearing exercise, such as walking for 20 minutes each day will help protect against the bone thinning effect of long-term steroids.
Related Topics Treatment, Advice, Medication, Medicines, side effects, side effect, Information Standard, side-effect, side-effects, inhaler
I am 37 years old man hematic i did not take proper breath & my weight also increasing slowly regularly please suggest what will I do ?
Sir, I am suffering with sneezes in the morning times. Please suggest what precautions I have to take?
I have problem with dust, session change, air conditioner, drinking and eating cold things etc. It starts sneezing automatically and gets a very severe condition. What should be done by me. Please suggest me something good.
I am suffering from asthma since 10 years. I do not know what to. I do not able to breath . At night I am not sleep just sit and take breath. Please help me help me.
What should be done the make the immune system better and suggest some proper diet plans which can help us to get a proper immune system.
I have Dust Allergy form last 6 years. And I have also dark circle in my under eye. What I need to do please consult that.
I am suffering from dust allergy and night time cough with sputum, some times I was unable to take breathing properly ,please help me.
I am a 25 yrs old girl. I am having a problem of swollen feet due to an insect bite ten days earlier. What should I do now?
As indicated by Ayurveda, good digestion, solid “agni” (the metabolic flame), quality functioning of the liver and an adjusted endocrine framework result in strong immunity. Immunity of the human body is said to be associated to an entity called “ojas” which is believed to be the subtle and positive essence of “kapha” an aspect which provides the body with vigour, strength, immunity and vitality. The general notion is that stronger the Agni, healthier the “ojas”, although other factors play a major role too. Therefore, it becomes important to protect your “ojas”. Protection of 'ojas' is possible when you are able to live in the present with pure and complete awareness. A number of ways to promote “ojas” and thereby, develop your immunity are listed below:
- Diet: Agni is bolstered by a dietary routine that minimizes refined sugars, stimulants and processed foods. The focus must be shifted to consumption of whole and healthy foods while maintaining a proper schedule. Inclusion of garlic, ginger, black pepper, long pepper, cinnamon, asafoetida in the diet is advised as it destroys poisons and bad bacteria, kindles Agni, promotes normal body temperature maintenance and eliminates the extra kapha.
- Get adequate sleep: It is proven that sleep deprivation in humans can cause a total loss of the immune functions of the body. Thus, it becomes mandatory to adopt a balanced sleeping schedule where the minimum duration to be regularly maintained is 8 hours.
- Exercise: Appropriate exercise discharges collected strain, moves stagnant emotional and mental energy, enhances circulation, encourages proper elimination, improves digestion, supports sound sleep and promotes relaxation in the body. All these contribute to a healthy maintenance of the immune system. Adversely, improper exercise can prove to be damaging.
- Meditation and yoga: The different types of Ayurvedic practices, each having a different set of benefits, are advised to be adapted so that you can sustain immunity. Some of these practices include yoga, pranayama, meditation, etc.
- Herbal support: Different types of herbs in the Ayurvedic tradition, each having an affinity for a certain type of tissue, are capable of supporting the immune system. The advisable herbal supports include chyavanprash, turmeric, ginger, Tulsi, Shatavatri, Ashwagandha, turmeric, tulsi, trifla, giloy, Bronchial Support Herbal Syrup, Immune Support tablets, etc.
- Regular detoxification: Regular detoxification (by Panchkarma procedures) of body as advised in Ayurveda , keeps basic body doshas ( Vats, pitta, kapha) in balance.
- Rejuvenation therapy- After detoxification certain ayurvedic drugs, herbs are given for a long duration for rejuvenation, longevity of life, immunity boosting. It also prevents and cure diseases.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized ayurveda and ask a free question.
I am very prone to cold. Normal life style changes brought cold to me. If some day I am not able to take bath, in evening I will get the cold and have sneezing. In normal monsoon if I get wet I ll have cold. Is it some disorder or any suggestions to improve immunity?
The reason why you suffer from bad health every now and then is due to your poor immune system. Whenever there is a change in weather and you are attacked by the flu virus, stop blaming the weather because it is actually your weakened immune system that has let you down. Same goes for the particular food you eat or the way you heal from your wounds rather slowly.
So, if you really want to boost up your immunity system, then you can take a cue from the books of Ayurveda. Ayurveda not only believes in healing the body but makes sure that the root cause is weeded out so that you stay healthy for a longer duration of time.
Let us see how Ayurveda develops your immune system so that you can withstand all kinds of emotional, physical and most importantly, environmental challenges.
- The first thing Ayurveda says is to stick to healthy and nutritious foods. That doesn’t mean, you can’t cheat once in a week, but make sure that you have a protein rich and less carbohydrate diet. Make sure your food is warm; neither hot nor cold when you consume it.
- Cold foods and drinks are harmful to your body because they affect the digestive system. Say no to any kind of aerated drinks.
- Avoid foods, which are oily and especially difficult to digest.
- Take care of your muscles and skin by massaging daily with sesame or sunflower oil. They help in rebuilding the tissues of your body.
- While taking a bath, apply some essential oils such as lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus or juniper oil in a tub of warm water. This will make you feel fresh and uplift your mood.
- While cooking, add some spices to your food, especially turmeric, cumin, coriander or cinnamon. These will increase the food value.
There are some suggestions made by Ayurveda:
- Make sure you get an adequate of 6-8 hours of sleep. Avoid sleeping less or oversleeping.
- Exercise regularly; yoga, walking, free hand exercises which will increase blood circulations in your body.
Finally, avoid negative thinking. Make sure you are infused with a positive spirit, no matter what the situation is. Doing this, you will stay physically and mentally spirited. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
I am 47 year old, (Male). I prone to dust allergy. Repeatedly suffering from cold, running nose & bronchitis. What should I do? Which medicines to be used and what preventive measure to be taken to avoid such problems in future?
Overall your immune system does a very good job of keeping you healthy and well, but you've got to do your bit to keep it at it's a game. It could never hurt to take some care of your immunity! you could eat well, go for regular checkups and always eat your vitamins. But is that bare minimum enough to keep it on track? diet, age, exercise, lifestyle as well as environmental factors play a huge role in the working of your immunity system. So here are 10 easy tips which will help you help yourself! and your immunity, of course.
1. Sleep in as per research, your immunity system only produces half the amount of antibodies than it usually would when you haven't got enough sleep. That will ultimately increase your susceptibility to any illness. The easiest and most relaxed way to boost your immunity is to get 7-9 hours of sleep every night.
2. Stress is never good everyones got problems in life home, family, financial, but they should be avoided as much as possible. When you stress, your body produces stress hormones which suppress the working of your immunity system. Join a meditation class but don't let the stress get to your body.
3. Kale is the new spinach vegetables like broccoli, kale and cabbage support the livers ability to flush out toxins while also directly boosting your immune system. Go vegetarians!
4. Don't be a couch potato exercising, which could also be a 20 minute walk, will really stimulate the lymphatic system, increase oxygenation and increase the production of leukocytes a cell which helps fight infection. You're going to be living healthy and helping your immunity! win-win situation.
5. Mushrooms are good eat mushrooms! medicinal and japanese mushrooms are filled with antioxidants and immunity boosters. There's a wide variety so try a new one every time!
6. Avoid sweeteners and sugar consuming 75 grams of sugar will reduce the ability of the wbc's to overpower and destroy the bacteria. Opt for fresh fruits and flavored tea's to complete your sugar cravings.
7. Bmi matters shape and size really doesn't matter, but having the right weight for your height and age really does. Higher numbers of fat cells tend to trigger a series of events which eventually lead to a diminishing immunity system.
8. Eat your vitamins sounds like such a cliche but they're really important. Each vitamin has a different property to boost ones immunity.
9. Say bye to cigarettes and alcohol well that title would certainly ruin a friday night for most people. But apart from what these items do to your body, they majorly undermine your immunity system. It's almost like causing intentional bacteria in your body!
10. Live, love, laugh well the key word here is laugh. By laughing, you're automatically distressing while also unintentionally allowing your body to produce more wbc's. Watch a good comedy and let the magic begin.
In case of any query or to book an appointment with dt. Silky mahajan please send us a mail at info@foodsandnutrition. In or call on 080 6741 7780 (dial extension: 778)