Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vinayak Joshi
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Deep Brain Stimulation Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Vinayak JoshiYour feedback matters!
Sir, I am 54 years old male. I can't control my hand during writing, shaving or taking tea. I feel uncomfortable in signing any letter or cheques. Kindly suggest me any suitable treatment.
I am taking rivotril 0.25 mg half. For insomnia. Told by my doctor. Does it have any side effects. Shall I stop and start using trika 0.25.as it is more safe.
Nerve compression is a condition caused by direct pressure on a nerve. It occurs when a nerve is squeezed or compacted. It is also known as compression neuropathy or entrapment neuropathy.
Nerve compression syndrome is also known as:
- nerve entrapment syndrome
- compression neuropathy
- entrapment neuropathy
- trapped nerve
Mentioned below are few of the most common types of nerve compression syndromes:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Suprascapular nerve compression syndrome
- Guyon’s canal syndrome
- Meralgia paresthetica
- Radial nerve compression syndrome
- Prolonged or repeated external force, such as sitting with one's arm over the back of a chair (radial nerve), frequently resting one's elbows on a table (ulnar nerve), or an ill-fitting cast or brace on the leg (peroneal nerve).
- Accidents such as sprains, fractures, and broken bones can also cause nerve compression syndrome
- Autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Thyroid dysfunction
- High blood pressure
- Tumors and cysts
- Pregnancy or menopause
- Neural disorders
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain in the area of compressions, such as the neck or lower back
- Radiating pain, such as sciatica or radicular pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Pins and needles or a burning sensation
- Symptoms worsen when you try specific movements, such as turning your head or straining your neck
- Lifestyle changes: Avoiding movements that cause pain. Changing job duties may relieve symptoms. Losing weight can improve symptoms if obesity is the cause of nerve compression syndrome,
- Physical therapy: Flexibility, strength, and range of motion in the affected area can be improved by working with a physical therapist. Physical therapy can also relieve symptoms, such as pain and numbness.
- Medication: Drugs commonly prescribed to manage symptoms caused by nerve compression syndrome include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil) and aspirin. Corticosteroids, such as dexamethasone, are injected directly around the nerve.
- Prosthetic devices: In few cases of nerve compression syndrome, a doctor or physical therapist may advise a splint or a brace to help avoid putting pressure on the nerve.
- Surgery: The surgical procedure required depends on the type of nerve compression syndrome, the degree of compression, and the nerves and structures affected. Surgery also depends on several factors, which include the duration of the symptoms, the severity of symptoms, and any other underlying health conditions you might have.
- Home remedies: The following home remedies may stop or ameliorate symptoms of nerve compression syndrome:
- Stop activities that cause pain
- Apply icing on the affected area for 10–15 minutes
- Taking regular breaks when doing repetitive tasks
- Applying topical creams, such as menthol
- Elevating the affected area
- Keeping the affected area warmPerforming stretches and exercises to improve strength and flexibility
- Using relaxation exercises
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello, Can we cure Parkinson completely? What are the measures to regulate and to recover from Parkinson? What are the foods to be taken & exercises to be done? What should not be done and please give the detailed explanation to recover from this disease completely?
I have migraines and it gets worse during mid day. I do not takes medicines as they never work. Bright light, surgery smells and loud noises worsens my headaches. It is effecting my ability to work and I would like a solution please help!
Ayurvedic Perspective of Migraine and its management
Migraine is one of the worst headaches a person can experience. It is described as a throbbing or pulsating pain that can be on one side of the head. It can begin in a specific area and then spread while it builds in intensity. A migraine is associated with nausea and vomiting. The person will also be sensitive to light, sounds and even certain smells. Sleeping can be difficult and many people become depressed. They can last for a couple of hours or for several days.
Therapies Generally Used.
External treatments along with the internal preparations are very effective in chronic conditions. Panchakarma helps to remove the accumulated toxins and help to strengthen the nerve system. Involvement of other systemic disorders is also taken into account before deciding the treatment protocols.
1. Thala pothichil : Various kinds of paste (grinded mixture of selected herbs in suitable liquid media ) over the forehead / entire head help for the sudden relief from the ache. The preparations help to normalize the hyper action of the nerve cells and regulates the blood circulation towards the brain
2. Thalam : Special herbal powders suitable to reduce the Dosha vitiation, are selected and mixed with suitable liquid media(oils/ghee) and this medicated herbal paste is applied lukewarm over the crown of head (Anatomically over the Bregma point on skull). (Dur 25-45min).
3. Shiro abhyanga : Head Massaging with Oils suitable for the Dosha vitiation, helps to increase the blood circulation towards brain and also helps to relax the spastic muscles on head. Special care is taken to massage the Marmas or the Vital points on head which have marvelous results.
4. Nasya : Nasya (application of herbal preparations through nostrils) is one of the treatments which directly acts on the nerves and removes the toxins accumulated in the sinuses. Mucus lining inside the nostrils are one of the areas where numerous nerve endings are exposed. The medicated oils applied through Nasya directly acts on these nerve endings and help to pacify Vata Dosha in disturbed nerves and control the abnormal impulses gernerated by these nerves. The special preparations used for Nasya drains the mucus deposited in the sinuses thereby the pressure in this area is relieved. The medicinal contents of the oils administered, stimulate the higher centers of brain which have actions on regulation of endocrine, nervous system and circulatory functions.
5. Shiro dhara : Shiro dhara with Takram (medicated butter milk) is also another important therapy which is used to control the vitiated vata kapha doshas localized head.(Dur 25-75min) Other Panchakarma treatments like Vasti (a course of medicated oil and decoction enemas), Virechana (purgation) also helps to put the toxins out from the body.
After the Panchakarma therapies, special preparations called Rasayana (immunoregulatory) is administered. Rasayana preparations improve the immune system further improving the perception of sense organs. Migraine due to other systemic involvement like psychological problems, digestive problems, blood pressure, ophthalmic problems, immune problem, improper menstruation, etc will be relieved when treated according to the specific treatment told for these diseases.