Find numerous Neurosurgeons in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Vikram Karmarkar
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Vikram KarmarkarYour feedback matters!
Form two to three day I have brain pain and I not sleep form two to three day and it is very pain full.
Epilepsy is a form of chronic disorder and it is characterized by recurrent seizures. The episodes of epileptic seizures may differ from person to person. These seizures could be a result of genetic disorder or a result of trauma or stroke. During a seizure, a patient may also experience symptoms of neurological disorders and sometimes lose consciousness.
Medical help for epilepsy
Epilepsy itself cannot be cured using medication, but proper medicines help in eliminating recurrent seizures. These medicines stabilize the electrical activity within the brain preventing seizures.
How effective is the medication for epilepsy?
The success of controlling seizures using medicines depends on the type and severity of epilepsy. Medicines for epilepsy are usually very effective and may fully keep seizures under control. However, controlling seizures caused due to brain problems may be more difficult. Usually, epilepsy medicines can control seizures for a long period of time when they are taken regularly.
When is medical help needed?
The decision about when to start medicines for epilepsy is a tricky one. This is because a first seizure cannot confirm whether a person has an on-going epilepsy problem. A second seizure may occur after many years or may not happen at all. Prediction of seizures is also quite difficult.
The severity of seizures also indicates when to start medicines for treatment. In case a first seizure is quite severe, medication should be started at once. Some people have very mild seizures even though they may be recurring in nature, and medication can be avoided in this situation. After first seizure MRI and EEG may help to know whether you have the risk of second seizure or not.
All the pros and cons must be thought over before starting medications for the treatment of epilepsy. It is advisable to wait for a second seizure and then start medications for treatment. In most cases, medication is started after a second seizure occurs, twelve months within the first seizure. You should always consult a doctor to know when you need to start taking medicines to treat the condition.
For making the most out of the medicines to control seizures, you should follow certain steps:
- You must take medications exactly as your doctor has prescribed.
- Before switching to generic versions of your medicines or before taking other prescribed medicines, you must consult your doctor.
- You should never stop taking the medicines.
- In case you experience enhanced depression, mood swings and suicidal thoughts, you should talk to your doctor immediately.
- In case you have migraine, you should let your doctor know so that he can prescribe you anti-epileptic medicines, which also prevent migraines.
Medicines cannot treat the underlying cause of epilepsy, but these help in controlling seizures and this is the most common symptom of epilepsy. Medication should be started at a proper time and must be continued without stopping. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurologist.
I am suffering from snoring last 5 years. The condition has become more worst. I am very sure, I am suffering from Sleep Apnea Disorder. I do not want surgery. Is there any Alternative medicine?
My brother is 22 years old. He is facing hand shaking issue both left and right hand many times even he sit comfortably at home or in no anxiety position, no tension position. He does take any durg. He drink very occasionally once in 1.5 month around. He has not bad habit using hand or. Kindly suggest the solution.
It is not that very easy to get complete recovery after spinal surgery and for that you have to rely on different caring tips. Your surgeon can help you in this regard and can provide you a checklist containing different essential caring tips. You should follow those tips sincerely so that unwanted side-effects can be easily avoided.
Few caring tips after a spine surgery:
- Consumption of adequate amount of proteins: If the protein content is increased in your diet, then quickest recovery can be definitely expected. Muscle collagen can be strengthened and healed with the regular intake of the necessary amounts of protein. In fact, infectious conditions can be effectively dealt with by protein intake.
- Getting adequate rest: Proper rest is needed and you should have enough sleep for getting complete recovery. If your body needs some more sleep than the standard one, then you should go for the same. Your mood, memory and body will get refreshed and rejuvenated by taking proper sleep at night. In fact, you can also get rid of pains and other side-effects after surgery by taking rest.
- Taking nutritional supplements: There are a few essential nutrients that are needed after the surgical procedure and they are vitamin D, vitamin C, Omega-3 fatty-acids, magnesium and others. These nutritional elements are now available in the form of supplements and are readily available in the stores. Though these supplements are completely organic, but still you should start taking the same when doctors permit you. These supplements help in collagen healing and thus speedy recovery can be gained by taking them in a consistent manner. Muscle heath can be effectively protected by consuming these supplements.
- Acute hydration: Hydration is highly needed especially after spinal surgery so that toxin accumulation can be prevented. If you want to get proper hydration, then nothing can be a better option than drinking lots of water. In fact, spinal surgeons also recommend the same for avoiding surgical complications. Tea, coffee and sodas need to be completely replaced with water. Your system can be thoroughly cleaned by draining out toxins.
- Eliminating refined sugars from diet: Refined flour and sugary products are to be completely curtailed from regular diet; otherwise you might face severe complications. Your blood-sugar level needs to be regulated. If your immunity system gets suppressed, then you will be in great trouble and hence sugar should not be included in your diet at all.
Love coffee? Here's a compelling reason to keep drinking it.
The Journal of Alzheimer's Disease published a study that demonstrated some significant results related to coffee and cognitive function.
Researchers in Florida measured the amount of caffeine in participants by taking blood samples and testing the caffeine plasma levels. They also tested participants' cognitive functioning at the start of the study and categorized people as fitting into one of three categories:
Normal cognitive functioning- Overall, memory, judgment and decision-making were intact.
Mild Cognitive Impairment- Participants displayed some difficulty in cognitive functioning. Mild cognitive impairment often develops into Alzheimer's disease.
Dementia- The individual displayed clear impairments in cognition such as memory deficits, communication, judgment, etc.
After a period of two to four years, researchers found that a higher level of caffeine plasma (greater than 1200 ng/ml) was correlated with the following results:
Stable cognitive functioning (no cognitive decline) was maintained in those who began the study with normal cognition.
A lack of progression to dementia occurred in the participants who began the study in the mild cognitive impairment (MCI) category. This is especially notable because there is usually a high rate of progression from MCI to dementia.
Additionally, a higher rate of progression from mild cognitive impairment to dementia was seen in participants whose caffeine intake was lower.