Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Derma Roller Treatment
Hair Mesotherapy Treatment
Nail Surgery Procedures
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Facial Rejuvenation Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Mole Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Skin Polishing Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Utpal DurveYour feedback matters!
Is there any home remedy to cure dryness of skin. And which cream to apply Above my eyes on my eyelashes I have something white which looks like dandruff. I have dandruff in my hair. How to cure these? Any home remedy or shampoo.
How to get good healthy strong hair. By birth my hair is silky-smooth. What diets and what food we have to eat for strong hair.
IS extreme dryness of skin like patches behind ear lobes. Or in shin bone (feet) or between the two butts related to Stress bad eating habits or some other reason.
I am almost 22 now, and haven't got any beard growth yet. Please help, makes me feel less in confidence in people and always scared about anyone pointing out at me for not having beard. Please help.
What should I do to cure my wrinkles. At the age of 20, under my eyes it looks horrible. Suggest something please!
I am dealing with hairfall since post pregnancy please suggest some remedies so that hairfall is diminished or totally stopped
My age 21 and their is partial baldness on my head. And my hair is very thin. Is there any effective treatment to regrow my hair. And approximately how much money required for this treatment?
Can you tell me the budget of face surgery, there are much acnes on my face, I want my face clean and clear.
Hello, I have scalp psoriasis. What are the precautions I should take? And what are the food products I should avoid?
I am suffering from serious hair fall problem. I have tried many medical shampoo but doesn't work. What should I do to fix it?
How could I remove dark circle below my eyes? Please advise. I have some indigestion and appetite problem, please advise what could I do. Please answer both of my problems.
How to control hairfall and dandruff? Which shampoo is better to use for hairfall? Can I remove hairfall condition through natural herbals? What are they? And finally how to use it?
I had a wart on the fingers and toes. I have a small operation but the warts are still growing. I should be how to remove warts?
How can I overcome from hair fall. Tell me that will be your kindness and I hope you will give me the better solution and hence I will be overcome from the problem.
Causes of skin discoloration and its types
Skin discoloration is a condition where the overall color of skin appears patchy and uneven. This generally takes the form of dark spots, blotchiness, jagged sunburns, etc. It is caused due to unequal distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for imparting color to the skin.
Melanin is produced by the melanocyte cells in the epidermis layer of the skin. This pigment plays a protective role in the skin, particularly when it comes to defense against sun damage. Production of melanin is generally uniform through the skin but sometimes, various anomalies cause some parts of the skin to produce excess melanin whereas others may produce none at all. This leads to discoloration of the skin, making the appearance of skin tone irregular and non-uniform.
What are the different types of skin discoloration?
There are various types of skin discoloration which are caused by different medical and nonmedical conditions.
Some of them are as follows:
- Melasma. This type of skin discoloration occurs due to fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This condition is found most commonly in pregnant women.
- Vitiligo. This is a medical condition which is caused when melanocyte cells cease to function or die. It manifests itself in the form of white patches that appear on the skin.
- Sunburns and Tans. These appear on the skin in the form of dark patches, uneven splotches and burns. It is caused by unprotected and prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Tinea Versicolor. This type of skin discoloration is caused by a fungal infection that makes skin appear dull and flaky in patches. It occurs due to hormone level fluctuations or a malfunction in the immune system.
- Skin Cancer. When the skin gets affected by melanomas and carcinomas, it appears discolored. This type of discoloration changes shape, size and texture and requires the immediate attention of a specialist.
- Other causes of skin discoloration include genetic inheritance, allergic reactions and drug reactions. The diagnosis of treatment depends on the exact nature of the condition and varies from case to case.
Related Tip: Can Use of Sunscreen Reduce Skin's Aging?