Find numerous General Physicians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find General Physicians with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Suffering from severe cough past 15-20 days. Medicines subscribed by the doctor has been taken. Still suffering from cough. What could be the probable reason for it?
I ve mild fatty liver. Is it curable. If is then tell me how. Which are the vegetable helps to cure please tell me sir, madam.
I very frequently suffer from cold and my nose is always draining. I have allergy from dust particles and conditioned air flow like ac and cooler air. What should I do in this case?
Is coughing a way of getting foreign substances out of the body and mucus out of our lungs and upper airway passages, why there is an attempt to stop coughs, which are often useful?
I am suffering from jaundice. And am In serious case. My doctor says you will not recover. From this. You are last hope. please do something.
My aunt is having lower back bone problem due to which she often vomit and also it pains and creates a sensation which feels from backbone to head And she is a gas patient.
Low Glycemic Index foods are those that cause minor changes in blood sugar levels.
Previously, most meal plans designed to improve blood sugar analyzed the total amount of carbohydrates (including sugars and starches) in the foods themselves. GI goes beyond this approach, looking at the impact of foods on our actual blood sugar. In other words, instead of counting the total amount of carbohydrates in foods in their unconsumed state, GI measures the actual impact of these foods on our blood sugar.
Foods that are high on the glycemic index scale tend to raise the blood sugar when they are digested. Low glycemic foods allow a more controlled and steady release of energy in the body. Low glycemic foods have plenty of health benefits; so choosing them as snacks can be a very healthy choice.
Meats and fats don't have a GI because they do not contain carbohydrate.
Below are examples of foods based on their GI:
Low GI Foods (55 or Less)
- Oat bran
- Rolled Oats
- Natural Muesli
- 100% stone-ground whole wheat or pumpernickel bread
- Pasta, converted rice, barley, bulgar
- Sweet potato, corn, yam, lima/butter beans, peas, legumes and lentils
- Most fruits, non-starchy vegetables and carrots
- Soya and Linseed
- Wholegrain Pumpernickel
- Heavy Mixed Grain
- Whole Wheat
- Sourdough Rye
- Sourdough Wheat
- Frozen Green Peas
- Frozen Sweet Corn
- Raw Carrots
- Boiled Carrots
- Green Beans
- Red Peppers
Medium GI (56-69)
- Whole wheat, rye and pita bread
- Quick oats
- Brown, wild or basmati rice, couscous
High GI (70 or more)
- White bread or bagel
- Corn flakes, puffed rice, bran flakes, instant oatmeal
- Shortgrain white rice, rice pasta, macaroni and cheese from mix
- Russet potato, pumpkin
- Pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn, saltine crackers
- melons and pineapple
What Affects the GI of a Food?
Fat and fiber tend to lower the GI of a food. As a general rule, the more cooked or processed a food, the higher the GI; however, this is not always true.
Below are a few specific examples of other factors that can affect the GI of a food:
- Ripeness and Storage time - the more ripe a fruit or vegetable is, the higher the GI
- Processing juice has a higher GI than whole fruit; mashed potato has a higher GI than a whole baked potato, stone ground whole wheat bread has a lower GI than whole wheat bread.
- Cooking Method - how long a food is cooked (al dente pasta has a lower GI than soft-cooked pasta)
- Variety - converted long-grain white rice has a lower GI than brown rice but short-grain white rice has a higher GI than brown rice
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian nutritionist and ask a free question.