Find numerous Rheumatologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. ThipneekYour feedback matters!
Inflammation and resultant pain in the joints are usually the basic tenets of Arthritis. This joint disorder can be painful and often, a debilitating one. It can also make the joints stiff. There are many ways of dealing with this problem, but with Ayurveda, one can get to the root cause of the ailment and its presence. This helps in taking a well rounded holistic approach towards treating it with ancient know how that revolves around herbs and other natural substances which have great medicinal value, lifestyle changes, diet, exercise and Yoga, oil massages, and other methods. Arthritis is known as Sandhivata in Ayurvedic jargon.
Read on to find out how Ayurveda can help in dealing with Arthritis.
- Herbs: One can make use of various herbs that contain Linoleic Acid to help in providing lubrication to the joints so as to prevent pain and stiffness. These herbs include Borage seed oil which is extracted from Borage seed, Evening Primrose oil, Blackcurrant seed oil, Capsaicin, Curcumin, Feverfew, Flaxseed oil and a standard Ayurvedic concoction that combines Ashwagandha, Gugulla, ginger, cumin and haldi or turmeric. These substances can help in treating the joints that are suffering from the pain of Arthritis.
- Diet: In Ayurveda, to treat ailments like Arthritis, it is usually recommended that a patient should start by flushing out the body toxins from within. Diet is one of the ways in which this can be done. A detoxification diet to clean the colon would be one of the foremost ways of doing a cleanse. Further, in one's daily diet, there should be a good dose of vegetables, fruits and other juices. Also, one must have plenty of herbs and spices, which can be used to season the food. Curd should generally be avoided and garlic should be used liberally. The various properties that help in an inside out cleanse that will help the system function in a better manner so that the treatment of ailments is also effectively supported.
- Exercise: In Ayurveda, a certain amount of daily exercise, which spans at least 45 minutes to one hour, is a must. A pattern of healthy eating, restful sleep and exercise is what usually helps in treating ailments like Arthritis. For this ailment specifically, light exercise like walking is recommended. Various Yoga asanas that involve sitting, standing, balancing and lying down poses as well as restful poses will also help in treating knee, shoulder and lower back pain specifically. Also, mustard oil massages can help in reducing the pain.
These are the few ways in which Ayurveda can help Arthritis patients live a more normal life with minimal pain.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
What is Rheumatology?
Rheumatology is a field of medicine, which deals with diseases having joint pain, arthritis and other related symptoms. It derives its origin from word ‘rheumatism’, which means anything related to joint or body pain.
Follow this link below for more information
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis means joint pain associated with inflammation (redness, warmth and swelling). All joint pains are not arthritis.
All joint pains are not arthritis.
Most rheumatology diseases are a particular type of arthritis. However, depending on disease type, they can affect any organ of the body. Thus, they can be serious diseases too. They even affect children and young people.
Rheumatology diseases are autoimmune diseases
Rheumatic diseases are often autoimmune in nature. Autoimmune diseases are diseases, where a part of one’s own immune system automatically starts acting against itself. It is unknown why this ‘auto’ ‘immune’ activation causes problems only in a few. Note, it is not the low immunity, but over active immunity, which is the problem. Over active immunity loves to hit joints, this is why most rheumatic diseases have arthritis.
Who is a Rheumatologist?
Rheumatologist is a physician doctor, who is specially trained to investigate & treat various types of arthritis and rheumatic diseases with medicines. They are also commonly known as ‘joint pain or arthritis’ doctors. They are different from orthopaedic doctors, who are surgeons. However, both type of doctors need to work together, at times, to treat some patients.
It is necessary to start treatment early if you suffer from rheumatic illness. As immunity is over active in these diseases, the medicines used to treat these diseases regulate and sometimes suppress the immune system. Early effective treatment helps prevent serious joint damage and can help save life in serious rheumatic disease.
I am now 73 years and 7 months old. And suffering from severe Knee joint pain (Osteo Arthritis). I am unwilling to undergo knee replacement. Please suggest me for any other treatment other than surgery. I am confined to home as I am not able to walk due to severe severe pain on my left knee joint.
I have a pain in my right knee and I feel like there is fluid. Feels like it moves up and down while I walk up and down stairs.
My father has a big problem of knee pain, since last 3-4 years. We are advised by so many smart doctors, but there is not satisfied effect yet. So please suggest us special.
Sir my name is venkataramana I am suffering from knee pain it is paining very much when I am sitting or standing.
meniscal lesions and correcting
ligament deficit help to save the joint
from deteriorating and in specific
cases cartilage reconstruction can
also be carried out to save joints and
avoiding replacement surgery. All
joints can be managed by
arthroscopy with knee, shoulder, hip
being large joints and frequently
subjected for surgery.
If at all one has to undergo Joint
replacement a lot of improvement
can be achieved by using specialised
#2; Minimally invasive joint
replacement (MIS) : using not only
small incisions but preventing cutting
of muscles ,bones or tendons like
OCM approach and yet gaining
visibility of wide exposure is the crux
of MIS approaches. One should be
sufficiently trained in these to impart
#2; Partial/Unicondylar knee
arthroplasty: A majority of patients
have medial knee arthritis to begin
with and unicondylar knee
arthroplasty can save you from total
knee replacement for years to
decades. Advantages of high mobility
and kneeling, cross leg sitting and
#2; Computer Navigation Joint
replacement: This system can be
used with newer implants of any
make to optimise outcome with the
help of computer precision
technology with navigation systems
perfection can be aimed for implants
placement, thus achieving basic
essential of good function and
longevity of replaced joint.
I am 36 years old and having problem on my left side knee and muscular non-sensitivity/inactiveness on my right side calf.
Fibromyalgia is a condition characterised by extreme muscle pain that is followed by weakness, fatigue and issue with the state of mind. It is believed that fibromyalgia causes painful sensations by affecting the way your mind forms pain signals.
Indications now and then start after a physical injury, surgery, disease or critical mental anxiety. In different cases, side effects progressively show after some time with no single occasion that triggers it.
Here are some coping methods you can use to help yourself live well with fibromyalgia:
Minimize stress and tension in your life. Stress may play an essential part in activating fibromyalgia side effects and its symptoms. Many individuals with fibromyalgia tend to feel on the edge, anxious, and inactive around the time when the side effects fibromyalgia flare up.
Exclude yourself from unpleasant circumstances. People tend to amplify issues, making them appear to be far more prominent than they are. When you think of something to be a last chance situation, despite the fact that in reality, it is not, your body responds as though you are at risk. Work at treating your feelings as problems come by.
Make worksite adjustments. To continue working full-time, you should stay rationally and physically ready to handle your employment obligations. To keep away from stress and tension, you may need to give additional time during the day to complete your personal needs and sort out your problems. Converse with your manager and work out a timetable that allows you to manage your time.
Coordination. Coordination is important with an unending condition like fibromyalgia. Transparent conversations diminish the problems amongst you and your companion, family, friends and colleagues.
Figure out how to say no. Failing to say no to excessively numerous requests will make you overburdened. That will add to your anxiety level. To help yourself say ‘no’ to a convincing companion, consider the circumstance before you reply and also think about the time you will be saving.
Keep a diary. Writing in a diary consistently can turn into a great channel for analyzing yourself and your situation. A few people can also figure out when their fibromyalgia symptoms started. That can help them see how and when the symptoms began.
Take a hot shower. Take a hot shower, a hot tub bath, or a steam bath. To begin with, it will help you to unwind the muscles that are tense. It will also decrease the pain and make your muscles more flexible and effortless to move.
- Exercise frequently. As per physiotherapists, exercising routinely is vital to get rid of fibromyalgia. In light of the pain, delicate muscles, continuous weakness, and stiffness felt by individuals with fibromyalgia, many have turned out to be physically unfit. Hence, all of the above-mentioned treatments are very important in order to stay fit. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a rheumatologist.
Sir, madam I have uric acid level is 9.4 mg dl and I have knee pain in both knee. On maximum time my uric acid level remains above 7.2 mg dl. My doctor has started alluprinol to me and said, you have to keep it eating for your entire life. Does this true for the medicine or something else is there. But my knees are still hurting and my doctor has no answer for this I have already taken NSAID, Cortic Steroid injection, Hylane injection into the knees but still pain is there. After that they told me that you have gouty arthritis due to high uric acid level and you have to keep eating alluprinol. My x ray of knees show early degenerative changes. Please tell me upto how much time I have to take alluprinol and when my knees get rid off from pain.
Gout: a brief idea: In the simplest of words gout can be defined as the inflammation of joints due to continuous accretion of urate crystals. An excess of uric acid can make a person suffer from gout. There could be a higher percentage of uric acid in a person's blood due to two chief reasons; an inept excretory system that fails to rid your body of surplus acid and also greater production of the acid. Arthritis is of three kinds; gout is one of those three. Homeopathy is known for its efficacy in treating gout.
Homeopathic remedies for gout:
- Urtica urens can cure gout: This homeopathic medicine is prescribed by a professional practitioner if the person is susceptible to cold. Urtica urens can work on a patient if he or she is allergic to snow, air, touch and water. Hive like eruptions on your ankles, wrists, and shoulders can be treated through regular consumption of this medication.
- Ledum can relieve you of pain: A painful, swollen area that develops on the small joints such as the joints of your toe fingers can be cured with the use of Ledum. The sensation of shooting pain in your limbs or feet can also be dealt with Ledum. Apart from that swollen small joints can be given momentary respite by falling back upon the cold compression therapy. Patients are advised to take this medicine if they exhibit intolerance to external warmth.
- Lycopodium is effective on sore joints: Chalky deposits of urate can be found in a person's knees. This results in chronic gout. Chronic gout has symptoms like limited urination. The urine may or may not have red sediments. People have also been reported with symptoms like extreme backache. Lycopodium successfully cures cases of unceasing gout.
- Try out benzoic acid for a big toe: If your gout is accompanied by stinking yellow urine you probably need Benzoic acid. Gout could be so severe that it might result in a stiff limb. In certain cases it makes a person limp. The thumb of your feet might get swollen making you have a big toe. A big toe usually kills you with tearing pain.
- Arnica deals with bruises: Arnica is your go to solution in case of a throbbing, stinging pain in any part of the body. This medication is a cherished answer to aches in every household. When gout is tender and it hinders free movement, this medicine comes to your aid. The medicine also heals bruised eruptions.