Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Tariq PatelYour feedback matters!
I am having severe gastritis, bloating, growling stomach and nausea since past 4 weeks. Needle piercing like pain below my rib cage. And pain around my bellybutton. This is hampering my work too. What could this be? Please help.
I have diarrhea for last 6 days. Consult to doctor and prescribe ofloxacin but till date diarrhea not controlled.
From last few days. My stomach is not well. Forms gas all the time. It kills my hunger. And all time vomiting kind of feeling occurs. Mouth taste was gone. And form several days a bit fever in 1-2 times daily.
I am suffering from Digestion problem, everyday after doing lunch, I go to washroom every five of ten minutes. Every time I find Mucus in my potty. I stomach pains a lot. My anus feels swollen. I feel very weak. I have gas problems too.
Sir I am having stomach gas problem from last 8 months the gas is always their in my stomach and intestine specially in large intestine due to with I also have back pain and uneasiness all day stomach is always heavy and fluffy all day after trying soo many medicine now I have decided to take UNIENZYME CAPSULE AND LEE BIOTIC (pre pro biotic) 2 to 3 times a day and isabgoal at night sir plzz tell me if anything is wrong their in these medicine or can do another medicine will help me more then these nd how long can I take these medicine ive decided to take them for 4 to 6 months plzz rly.
It's about my sister. She was always weak from childhood. She is now 33 years old. For a few days her health is getting worse like she can't digest simple food or can't walk to much or always getting sleep. Please give me some advice.
Diverticulosis refers to a serious medical condition when pouches develop on the walls of your colon,which is another name for the large intestine. These pouches are small in size and usually vary from 5 to 10 millimeters, but can get bigger when this condition becomes serious. Diverticulosis is usually discovered while performing tests for other medical conditions on your body. Once these pouches become infected and inflamed, they may cause acute pain in your abdomen. This condition is called diverticulitis and is considered quite serious.
Causes of Diverticulosis:
Doctors have suggested that the pouches in diverticulosis are formed when pressure increases inside the colon and presses against the weaker spots in the walls of the large instesine. The differences in pressure may create tears or pouches within the colon resulting in the disorder. Some of the causes are mentioned here:
- Low fiber diet: Low fiber diet causes small hard stool which makes it tough for the colon to put much more pressure. Low fiber diet can also increase the amount of time stool stays in the bowel which adds to high pressure and thus may contribute to this condition.
- Age: The chances of diverticulosis increases when you are above the age of 60 which has something related to the weakening of bowels over time. A bad diet over many years can make this worse.
- Lifestyle: Certain lifestyle habits which generally contribute to bad colon health may also result in diverticulosis by increasing pressure on the blood vessels of the bowel wall. This then pushes against other vessels resulting in the formation of pouches.
Many people with diverticulosis may not even know they have this issue until it is detected while looking for other issues within the body. There are many cases when diverticulosis has been diagnosed when various tests like X-ray which use barium enema or colonoscopy is performed on your body for other medical reasons. If your white blood cells are higher in count than normal then it can indicate infection which may turn into diverticulitis. You may also be asked to undergo CT scan to check if the pouches are infected.
Symptoms of Diverticulosis:
Diverticulosis is hard to diagnose as it may not show any symptoms at all. In most cases symptoms start showing when it progresses towards diverticulitis. However certain generic symptoms which may prompt the doctor to require a detailed examination are as follows:
3. Bloating or gas
4. Loss in appetite
Treatment can be done at home or you may be asked to stay in hospital depending upon the severity of the case. Proper bed rest and liquid diet may be prescribed to enable the diverticula to heal properly. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gastroenterologist.
I am 22 years old boy and I have a bloated stomach what to do to reduced stomach can I use sauna belt.
I am suffering from fissure in the anus mouth with a cut mark there for the last 3 to 4 years. Whenever there is pressure during latrine bleeding takes place. Besides there is itching for about 1/2 hours after I go to latrine. What to do?
Hi. My father is a patient of anemia. He is facing the digestive and gas issues. Does peppermint tea is good for him, if yes, then which time he may take this after meal of before meal. How many cup he may take in a day.
I'm infected with H.pyroli in my upper gastrointestinal stomach how to cure this symptoms? What diet should be followed to get rid of it permanently?
The quote 'Good day starts with coffee' suits a lot of people who love nothing more than a cup of coffee every morning. However, your morning tryst with a cup of coffee might not be a very healthy habit. Believe it or not, addiction to caffeine (in the form of coffee) is as harmful as addiction to any other drug. In fact, caffeine is a legal drug that slowly and gradually damages your gastrointestinal tract. Here are the negative effects of coffee on your digestive system:
- Increases Acidity: Coffee is known to contain different kinds of oils, acids and caffeine. These compounds have an adverse impact on the digestive system. The stomach and intestinal linings get damaged due to the over-consumption of these compounds in the form of coffee. Moreover, as you take coffee, your stomach produces more hydrochloric acid for digestion. This causes acidity and hampers the HCL levels altogether. When we take coffee regularly for years in empty stomach, our body's capacity of producing proper amounts of HCL gets hampered. Often, HCL production gets reduced as well. This leads to indigestion of other food items and effects flatulence and produces unwanted gases due to the improper breaking of proteins and fats by the body.
- Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Doctors believe that coffee acts as an irritant for patients of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), gastritis, Crohn's disease, colitis and ulcers. Coffee is responsible for the irritation of the lining of stomach and intestine. It is also noticed that certain enzymes present in the coffee beans are also harmful to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Heartburn: Coffee is responsible for relaxing the esophageal sphincter muscle. The relaxation of this muscle hinders the process of digestion and causes acid-reflux, resulting in heartburn. It is known to have compounds that have diuretic, laxative and mineral blocking effects on the body.
- Laxative Effects: Coffee stimulates the process of peristalsis or movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract. The peristalsis starts immediately after food is swallowed by the individual. The intake of coffee catalyzes peristalsis and consequently leads to emptying of the stomach even before the food is digested properly. The semi-digested food is sent to the intestine too early, causing injury to the intestine and hampering the absorption of nutrients.
- Affects absorption of minerals: Caffeine reduces the ability of the stomach to absorb iron and also hinders the absorption of minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium by the kidney. All these minerals help in digestion at different points and regulate the bowel movement.
Coffee is known to have benefits like reduction of constipation and sugar absorption. But, it also interferes with the smooth functioning of the digestive system. It has a tendency to increase stomach aches, disturb the fluid balance and the overall process of digestion. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.
For last few days, I am suffering from indigestion although I am not eating anything outside. But I used to eat junk food earlier. Kindly suggest.
I am 26 years old male, I am suffering from constipation due to which I always face gas problem and my chest is always burning, So please help me doctor.
I am suffering from gas problem for more than a week. Have stomach pain also. So much of belching. Bloating also.
I am age of 25 yrs. I am suffering from hard stools along with blood from 4 days. I stay in hostel. Bcoz of food allergy in hostel in beginning I had loose motions then this problem started. Please prescribe me medicine.
The food you eat plays an important role in your gastrointestinal health. Some foods can be difficult to digest and lead to bloating (learn more about Foods That Bloat Your Belly) and heartburn while others increase the healthy bacteria in your gut and make digestion easier.
Here are ten things you should include in your diet for a healthy digestive system:
- Bananas: Bananas help regulate bowel movements and help bind food waste together thus helping with irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea. They also help restore the electrolyte and potassium balance in the stomach.
- Oats: Oats are rich in fiber and low in calories. It is also a rich source of phosphorus, vitamin E and Zinc. Oats helps with the proper functioning of the digestive system and the extraction of waste.
- Curd: Curd rice is the most well known home remedy for an upset stomach. Curd is a rich source of probiotics that helps restore the balance of healthy gut bacteria and eases digestion.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is an excellent substitute for normal cooking oil or butter. Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties and fatty acids that ease the digestive system and boost immunity and energy levels.
- Lentils: Lentils are rich in prebiotics and fiber. These prebiotics promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria and prevent harmful bacteria from causing stomach infections.
- Ginger: Herbs and spices are very helpful with digestion. Amongst these, ginger is foremost. It can be used to treat a number of stomach infections such as bloating, nausea and diarrhea. Ginger also helps speed up the movement of food from the stomach to the intestines.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are rich in fiber and probiotics. While beetroots help relieve constipation, sweet potatoes help treat ulcers and bowel problems. Other vegetables that aid digestion include cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots.
- Brown rice: A certain amount of carbohydrates are essential for a well balanced diet. Brown rice has a high calorific value but is less fattening. Brown rice helps food move smoothly through the digestive system and hence promotes regularity.
- Peppermint: Peppermint helps ease indigestion and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Peppermint can be had on its own as a flavoring agent in salads and on fruits or taken as a supplement.
- Water: Water is crucial to healthy digestion. It helps smooth the movement of food through the digestive system and out of the bowels. Inadequate water is one of the most common causes of constipation. Ideally, you should have a minimum of 8 to 10 glasses of water a day.