Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Swapnil Keny
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Swapnil KenyYour feedback matters!
I am 18 years old girl. I am suffering from left side back pain and pain on shoulders back and some on right side even. Please tell me the with what problem I was suffering.
Poor posture while sitting, standing, lying down or moving around is a major cause for back pain. Sitting and standing for long time put considerable pressure on the lower back in fact, standing exerts up to five times more pressure than lying down, and sitting is even more strenuous.
Learn about the importance of good posture
Good posture can help prevent back pain, neck pain, muscle and ligament strains, compressed nerves and other injuries. It also has a number of other positive health effects and can be beneficial physically, mentally and emotionally. Good posture improves your appearance and helps you project self-confidence.
Recognize the symptoms of bad posture
Signs and symptoms of poor posture include slumped or rounded shoulders, protruding abdomen, excessive curve in the lower back (swayback) as well as back and neck pain and headaches. Problems in the neck is one of the major cause of headaches.
Maintain a healthy weight
Carrying excess weight can put extra strain on your back and abdominal muscles and lead to bad posture. Walking is one of the best ways to improve posture and lose weight.
Choose a firm mattress to support your spine
Try to avoid sleeping on your stomach the best sleeping position for your back is on your side with your knees bent. Make sure your pillow supports your neck in a straight position to prevent neck pain and sore muscles. Your mattress should not be too soft and too hard. Best is 40 density foam mattress.
Avoid wearing high heels and platform shoes
Make sure your shoes fit properly and offer good support especially when you're on your feet a lot during the day and when you're exercising. High heels throw your back out of line and adversely affect posture. They should be worn only for short periods of time, if at all.
Minimize stress on your lower back
Don't stand too long in one position. Rest one foot on a low stool or another stable object and frequently shift your weight from one leg to another. To relax, bend from your waist and let your head, neck, shoulders and arms hang down briefly.
Learn about sitting, posture and back pain
Extra pressure exerted on the back when sitting comes from the upper body shifting forward, forcing the back muscles to strain to hold you upright. Slouching increases pressure on your lower back 10 to 15 times more than lying down.
Choose a chair that firmly supports your lower back
For long periods of sitting, choose a straight chair without heavy padding. The chair should fit under your desk or table so that you maintain your upright posture. Armrests are helpful to support some of your weight, especially when shifting position.
Sit firmly back in your chair
Keep your shoulders against the chair back, your chest lifted, and your upper back straight. A rolled up towel or small lumbar pillow can provide extra support. When working at a desk, bring your chair close enough that you needn't lean over. Your feet should touch the floor comfortably.
Make adjustments while you work
If you're typing or working at a computer, make sure that all of your work is at a comfortable level. Looking up or down for long periods of time can put stress on your neck, shoulders and upper back muscles. If possible, get up, stretch and move around often.
Use proper techniques when lifting
Good posture is important—not only when sitting, standing or lying down, but also when moving and lifting whether at home or on the job. It's important to maintain good posture and lift with your legs and arms to reduce your risk for back pain.
Learn how to maintain good posture while driving
When driving, position your seat so that you can easily reach the steering wheel, brake and accelerator. If possible, try to adjust your knees slightly higher than your hips. On long drives, change your seat position occasionally and stop every couple of hours to stretch and walk around. Avoid slumping or sitting in a twisted position for example, with your elbow resting heavily on the windowsill. If your seat doesn't provide enough support, try a seat pad, rolled up towel or lumbar roll. Reposition your hands on the wheel frequently to reduce upper back and neck strain.
Know when to contact spine and pain specialist
If your back or neck pain worsens or becomes chronic in spite of home remedies to improve your posture, seek medical attention. Your doctor, on examination and depending on severity, may recommend diagnostic tests like x ray or mri. Physiotherapy and exercises should only be performed on advise of your doctor. You may ask your physiotherapist to discuss with your doctor.
I have problem upar back since 2 year. But most of doctor required vitamin b12 and vitamin d3 so tell me sir how many day distance gap I should eat vitamin tablet please give me suggestion sir thanks regarding chinmay nayak.
I am 20 years old n you hv a pain in my left shoulder frm past 3 months. I dnt knw wat to do its really very painful whenever I lift my left hand up it starts get paining.
Massage therapy helps relieve joint pain by improving circulation and soothing inflammation. In fact, several studies indicate that regular massage can improve pain, stiffness and range of motion in the affected joint.
To massage the affected area, use warm oil like coconut, olive, mustard, castor or garlic oil and apply gentle pressure while massaging.
2. Hot and Cold Compresses
Alternating hot and cold compresses can also help ease joint pain. Heat therapy helps decrease pain, increase blood flow and relax sore muscles and joints. Cold therapy reduces inflammation and numbs the areas around the affected joint.
1. Wrap both compresses in separate towels before using them. They should not be applied directly to the skin.
2. Place the hot compress on the affected area for about three minutes.
3. Remove the compress and immediately put a cold compress in its place for about one minute.
4. Repeat the process for 15 to 20 minutes a few times daily until you get relief.
Note: Do not use heat therapy if the affected area is red, hot and irritated. Do not use cold therapy if you have circulatory problems.
Fenugreek is a popular home remedy for joint pain due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis.
• Swallow one teaspoon of finely ground fenugreek seeds followed by a glass of lukewarm water. Do this daily in the morning until you get positive results.
• Alternatively, you can simply soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and eat them the next morning
Turmeric is an excellent Ayurvedic remedy for joint pain. It contains an active ingredient called curcumin with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
In a 2009 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, researchers compared the effectiveness of this compound to ibuprofen and found that curcumin was as effective as ibuprofen for pain relief in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
• Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little honey in a glass of warm milk. Drink it daily, at least for a few days.
• Another option is to take 250 to 500 mg turmeric capsules three times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Note: Talk to your doctor before including either of these remedies in your regular routine. Turmeric may interfere with certain medications, such as blood thinners, and may worsen gallbladder problems.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps reduce joint pain by eliminating accumulated toxins from the joints and connective tissues. Due to its alkalizing effect, it is particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis. Plus, it is rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
• Mix one to three teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar and a little honey in a cup of warm water. Drink this solution two or three times a day, preferably before meals. You can continue this simple treatment on a regular basis because, in addition to helping with joint pain, it is good for your overall health.
• You can also massage the affected area with a mixture of one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Do this daily until your joint pain is gone.
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin with natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties. In a 2010 study published in the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, researchers found that applying gel containing 0.0125 percent capsaicin helped relieve mild to moderate pain in women suffering from knee osteoarthritis.
• Slightly heat one-half cup of coconut oil. Mix in two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder. Apply it on the affected area, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this a few times a day until you get relief from the pain.
• Alternatively, you can use a capsaicin cream topically on the affected area daily.
Note: Cayenne may initially cause a burning sensation. Do not apply it on open skin or wounds.
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt baths facilitate easy absorption of magnesium through the skin. Joint pain is often associated with low levels of magnesium. Moreover, magnesium helps reduce inflammation and aids in detoxification of cells.
1. Mix two cups of Epsom salt in warm bath water.
2. Soak in it for about 20 minutes.
3. Repeat three times a week until you get relief from your joint pain.
Being rich in sulfur and selenium, garlic is beneficial for those suffering from arthritis and joint pain. Sulfur helps relieve joint pain and inflammation and, according to research, selenium may have an antirheumatic effect. Also, arthritic patients tend to have low levels of selenium in the blood.
• Include raw or cooked garlic in your diet. You can safely consume two or three garlic cloves daily. If you are deterred by the smell or taste of garlic, consider taking garlic supplements (follow the directions on the label).
• You can also fry two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard or sesame oil. When the garlic cloves turn black, turn off the heat and strain the oil. Allow the oil to cool until it is comfortably warm, and then massage it into the skin around affected area. Leave it on for about three hours before washing it off. Do this twice daily until you see improvement.
Ginger is an excellent natural remedy for muscle and joint pain, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers studied its effects on osteoarthritis patients with knee pain and saw encouraging results.
• Drink ginger tea, or include fresh ginger root or dried ginger powder in your daily diet. To prepare ginger tea, cut up a small piece of ginger root, boil it in a cup of water for 10 minutes and strain it. To improve the taste, you can sweeten it with honey.
• Another option is to mix equal amounts of ginger, turmeric and fenugreek powder. Take one teaspoon of this mixture daily in the morning and evening until you are satisfied with the results.
10. Stinging Nettle
Exploratory studies indicate that stinging nettle can be useful therapy for joint pain without any major side effects.
Though the exact reason as to why it alleviates the problem is not known, it is believed that this herb contains active compounds that reduce inflammation. Plus, it is rich in boron, a mineral that is required for healthy bones and joints.
• Steep two to three teaspoons of dried nettle leaves in a cup of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and drink the tea. Repeat three times a day until you get positive results.
• You can also place fresh nettle leaves on the affected area for about 30 seconds. Do this once daily for about a week or more. It may cause initial discomfort, but will eventually take the pain away.
Note: This herb may interfere with blood thinners as well as blood pressure, heart and diabetes medications.