Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. SushmaYour feedback matters!
Manual Toothbrush vs. Electric Toothbrush
In a world where every little thing is being automated, why must the activity of brushing your teeth be left behind? Well unless scientists come up with a technique that entirely renders brushing your teeth unnecessary, the only thing we can rely on as of today is easing the activity. And that has been done by bringing in the electronic toothbrushes in the market.
The manual toothbrush was invented in the 1930s. Several upgrades and updates were added to the toothbrush, and in the 1990s, the electronic toothbrush was introduced. Is it better than the manual toothbrush, or is the vintage route more beneficial, let's take a look:
- Cost: Electronic toothbrushes cost significantly more than manual toothbrushes. A manual toothbrush could cost on an average Rs. 30-Rs.40, whereas an electronic toothbrush costs close to Rs.400-Rs.500.
- Features: Unless you have a set timer in front of you, the time you take to brush your teeth manually solely depends on you. Electronic toothbrushes come with a built in timer which you can set at 2 minutes or more (2 minutes being the appropriate time considered for effective cleaning of teeth). This built-in timer saves you from relying on your guesswork and effectively helps you clean your teeth according to the recommended timings.
- Convenience: Manual toothbrushes are convenient to carry while traveling. They have negligible weight and can fit into any travel pouch easily. Electronic toothbrushes, on the other hand, are heavy in weight and need a battery charger to be carried along, which makes them a pain to carry around.
- Effort: Electronic toothbrushes significantly reduce your effort put into the activity. All you need to do is tilt your toothbrush to a 45-degree angle, and let the toothbrush do all the work. Whereas, manual toothbrushes, require you to carefully use proper brushing techniques to get the best results and thus require more effort.
- Options: Manual toothbrushes come with a huge variety of bristles, heads, colors etc. For sensitive gums, one can pick a toothbrush with soft bristles; for kids, one can pick a toothbrush with a smaller head to fit into their mouths. Electronic toothbrushes, as of today do not come in a variety of sizes or bristle types. Thus, the choice and utility are restricted.
And the most important factor-
Oral health maintenance: Electronic toothbrushes are known to give better results in comparison to manual toothbrushes when it comes to removing plaque and gingivitis. Also in the case of children when you cannot ensure whether they are brushing their teeth properly, electronic toothbrushes come to the rescue.
Though electronic toothbrushes give better results with lesser effort, manual toothbrushes have their own conveniences, too.
I could sense little blood from my tooth when I sleep. Its not regular but I noticed today also when I brush. What does that mean. What should I do?
My 1 teeth is very small, so that it looks so bad. Is there any treatment that can increase size of my teeth.
I have so many Red and white patches on my Tongue which may be occurred due to vigorous cleaning of Tongue from Toothbrush 2 months ago. But these patches are causing wounds now. And also I do not feel comfortable in eating spicy and salty. I am also lacking Taste in food. Please help.
My teeth is decaying. How much prize wanted to do root canal. Also. Doing root canal is any pblm to our body.
I'm suffering from severe tooth ache. When seen in mirror I got a hole at the middle of the tooth .wisdom teeth to be exact.
I have problem in my teeth when I brush teeth there is blood in my teeth and I have bad breath. Please give me good medicines.
My two year baby teeth spoiled and first two were broken and last two teetn on upper part had a hole left and right side. what should i do ?
I Have got grey and white patches in mouth and tongue. Looks like leukoplakia. Please advice what to do. I do smoke and drink regularly.
We kill them because of ignorance.
Visit your dentist once in a six month for routine check up.