Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Sunita P KarnikYour feedback matters!
I have red eyes for the last 4 days. What should I do for this? What are the precautions for preventing our eyes from becoming red?
Glaucoma prevention not help full any idea to fix this. When I can stop drops? How can I get relief? Please suggest something.
We have been reading and listening the harmful effects of drinking water in plastic bottles, having tea in plastic cups and heating the food in plastic containers in microwave oven. Can somebody please tell which utensils we should use for microwaves, we usually have only plastic lunchboxes for office lunch and plastic containers at home. Also please suggest which bottles we should use for consumption of water which can be stored in fridges as well.
I have problem in my eyes. When I focus on far object I feel pain in my eyes. Also I went for a eye hospital and doctor said I just a normal.
I have problem with my eyes, generally I did't use specs but after wearing specs also sometimes I am unable to judge the objects while driving.
Ebooks maybe are a lot easier to carry, and with the emerging trend of Kindles, it may appear to be more convenient than paperbacks, but the smell of new books, the texture of its pristine pages, is unparalleled to the inanimateness of ebooks. But that is not just why you must choose paperbacks over ebooks.
Read on to find out why paperbacks work well over ebooks for better eye health:
- Does not involve light-emission: The backlit electronic devices, strain your eyes, causing redness, irritation and watering. Most doctors advise that exposure to light during the evening, especially from artificial sources should be minimal. On the other hand, books do not emit any harmful rays, making it the obvious choice if you want to take good care of your eyes.
- Do not hamper body clock: Our system has a tendency to adapt itself to the rhythm of life by responding to the surrounding light. However, the blue light in reading devices disrupt the release of melatonin or the sleep hormone, causing inadequate, less deep sleep, and fatigue and irritation the following morning. Thus, not giving enough time to your eyes and body for revitalizing. On the other hand, studies have shown that people reading books sleep better and timelier than those reading on devices.
- Proximity to device not required: The admonition of not sitting too close to the television's screen glare is nullified by reading devices where a certain level of proximity is required for comfortable reading, which harms our eyes. But paperbacks do not have any such risk involved as there is no glare that would affect our eyes.
- Does not induce disrupted winking: Electronic devices often trigger a tendency to not blink and stare at the screen constantly for longer than advisable. That does not give the lenses in your eyes the momentary rest that the eyes require in order to replenish themselves.
Exercises to improve eye health:
There are many common measures people take to improve their eyesight or improve their vision. These include wearing glasses, lenses, sunglasses and many such measures. Here are some effective exercises which prove to be highly beneficial in increasing your eye health:
- Stretching: This is the most common and also one of the easiest to do. It requires you to just look up, hold for two seconds, look down, hold for two seconds, then repeat this procedure for each corner of your eye, which means top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right corners.
- Flexing: This is simply rotating your eyes in circles. Roll your eyes in the clockwise direction for one minute and then roll your eyes in the anticlockwise direction for one minute.
- Focus switching: This particular eye exercise is used for accommodation and is probably the most useful one. In this eye exercise, you have to hold something at a reading distance and cover the other eye. You then have to find something that is at least twenty feet away and trace its shape with one eye closed. With one eye closed, trace more shapes which are twenty feet away and this may improve your eyesight.
- Palming: This exercise is also very simple to perform. All you have to do is cover your eyes with your palms. Once you have done this, just wait and see that there are no bright flashes of light. If you see that there is a bright flash of light, just wait till they go. This is used primarily to destress the eyes.
- Deep blinking: This is also an incredibly useful exercise for distance vision. All you have to do is to place some large letters at a fair distance and then sit on a chair. You have to then close your eyes and tighten all your muscles for 5 seconds. After the gap of 5 seconds, open your eyes and see the letters for a second or two. The more time you do this the more clearly you will be able to see the letters after reopening your eyes.
Finally, a warning has to be given that these eye treatments are not universally accepted by all doctors.
Related Tip: "How Should You Exercise Your Eyes Everyday?"
I have res eyes from many days I eat everything I sleep well in night then why I am thin tell me please.
Normally the eyes are the best friends. They blink together. They move together and always keep the visual axis parallel, how paradoxical it is that healthy eyes visual axis never meet but it is the eyes who make you meet the desired person in your life.
When visual axis is not parallel in any direction of gaze, we call it a squint
Squint can be congenital or acquired. Congenital squints are usually more difficult to treat. Acquired squint may be due to refractive error. They can be traumatic causing paralytic squint which is more difficult to treat.
If both eyes converge (turn inside), we call it convergent squint. If they diverge, we call it divergent squint.
The squint can be constant or inconstant (sometimes).
A squint patient has to be examined fully by a very competent ophthalmologist at the earliest opportunity. The doctor shall find out the type of squint, its degree, and its nature. Fundus has to be examined. Refraction has to be done. Convergent squint patients quite often have a hypermetropic refractive error and sometimes can be cured by spectacles and exercise. Myopic eyes most often have a divergent squint. In some patients, the squint is quite hidden (latent) and it appears occasionally when patient have a strong emotion or absent minded. Most often these squints are divergent.
Management of squint needs spectacles, exercise at home or at syn optophone machine in the hospital and if it does not respond, then a surgery by an expert.
The challenge in surgery shall depend on a degree of squint, an age of onset, type, and age of surgery. Ideal age of squint surgery is 5-10 years. More the age, unpredictable results. Simply drugs do not cure squint. Paralytic squint more challenging. Earliest the better