Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sonal
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. SonalYour feedback matters!
What Is PCOS?
PCOS refers to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is a common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Women with this disorder might have prolonged menstrual periods or excess amount of male hormone levels, which can make them suffer from severe acne and baldness similar to men.
Though the exact cause of PCOS is not known but early diagnosis followed by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet can go a long way in managing this problem. Let’s look one by one as to how healthy lifestyle and diet can help PCOS women:
Impact Of Healthy Lifestyle On Women With PCOS:
Leading a healthy lifestyle is a must and considered as one of the first steps to managing PCOS. Healthy lifestyle deals with having the proper knowledge and guidance about the types of diet that one should follow, stay well informed about the role of carbohydrates, fat and protein. Healthy Lifestyle generally starts with healthy diet, regular exercises in the form of jogging, cycling and involving oneself in other physical activities by going to gym, thereby maintaining a healthy weight.
Following all these in a religious manner over a period of time would help to:
- Reduce the resistance of insulin
- Bring forth improvements of other hormonal problems in PCOS.
- Improve upon menstrual cycles.
- Improve a woman’s ability to conceive.
- Prevent long-term complications like type 2 diabetes.
How Staying Healthy and Maintaining Proper Weight Can Help Tackle PCOS?
PCOS can occur among women who are slim as well as on those with overweight, still overweight women would struggle a lot more, especially with those having extra weight around the abdomen. The reason which researchers feel, why this happens, is due to insulin resistance and change in appetite hormones that lead to hunger, though they are not completely sure of it. Healthy lifestyle and weight reduction of five to ten percent can lead to a range of benefits for women with PCOS. The benefits which they would come across are:
- Insulin resistance is reduced.
- Menstrual cycles get regulated
- Ovulation gets and restored with improvements in fertility
- Reduction in testosterone and improve hair and acne
- Health remains in better shape during pregnancy.
- Risk of diabetes and heart disease get reduced.
- Impact of Healthy Diet On Women With PCOS
A healthy diet means having food items which would provide the necessary nutrients to maintain good health and enjoy life. There are foods which one can have at any point in time while others could be eaten occasionally.
- Food at Short Intervals: Eating every few hours over the day is recommended rather than having large meals and keeps a large gap between them.
- Carbohydrate Is A Must: Women with PCOS must have carbohydrates like whole grains, wheat, oats, rice, fruits and vegetables which provide the essential nutrients and fibre. They should reduce consuming refined carbohydrates which are there in biscuits, cakes and drinks.
- Intake of Protein: Moderate protein intake is required for women with this hormonal disorder, as protein reduces hunger levels and thus it’s helpful for PCOS women to reduce weight. Avoid taking protein in the form of bars and powders.
- Good Fats: Good fat intake allows for higher androgens, better reproductive health, stronger libido, better athletic performance, and lower body fat.
My son has a stomach ache since last one month. On examine sonography there was swelling on appendix which after medication was all right. But he has frequent stomach pain on right side on some days. What shall I do and whom to consult.
Sir/mam, I am 5 10" and my weight is 49 kg. I want to gain 5-10 kg weight in 2 months. Plzz suggest some diet plan.
Diabetes is also known as diabetes mellitus, is a group of metabolic diseases, which raises the glucose level in the blood. If suffering from diabetes, parts of your body might get affected with other diseases as well, like bad eyesight, etc.
Diabetes is of 3 types:
- Type 1 Diabetes: where your body stops insulin production.
- Type 2 Diabetes: where your body does not produce enough insulin to function on or where the cells of your body do not react toward the insulin produced
- Gestational Diabetes: This is the diabetes you or your partner may suffer from during pregnancy.
Suffering from diabetes can make your lifestyle extremely difficult as you will have to go through a lot of restrictions. In order to avoid diabetes and its various outcomes, here are some tips you can follow:
- Keep your weight in control: Make sure you are of the right weight according to your height. If you are more than what you should weigh, and you are creeping towards obesity, you have a high chance of succumbing to diabetes. If you are already obese, start working towards losing weight. Even if you lose 5% of your weight, you will slash the risk of having diabetes by 70%.
- Walk: No exercise is better and easier than walking. Try walking as much as you can. Walking will help you reduce the risk of getting affected with diabetes. If you walk for around 35 minutes every day, you are cutting down the risk of diabetes by almost 30%. Walking, being an exercise, helps your body use the insulin produced in your body more efficiently.
- Drink coffee: Coffee, unlike common belief of being harmful, is actually very beneficial when it comes to keeping diabetes at bay. Coffee contains caffeine, which is believed to improve metabolism. Coffee also has potassium, magnesium and various antioxidants which enable the cells to absorb glucose. Drinking coffee regularly might lower the risk of diabetes by 29%.
- Get proper rest at night: If you sleep for less than 6 hours every night, then the risk of you suffering from diabetes is doubled. But that doesn't mean you are supposed to oversleep. If you sleep more than 8 hours, the risk of being affected with it rises to almost 75%. Hence sleep at least for 6 to 8 hours each night for a healthy life sans diabetes.