Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Snehal Panchal
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dr. Snehal PanchalYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
It is very challenging to find operative treatments for chronic pain that offer improved daily functioning. Spinal Cord Stimulation is an excellent pain management method that can be used for patients when their neck or back pain cannot be treated by surgery or other options.
Each year more than 14,000 patients undergo the spinal cord stimulator transplant. The procedure comprises of mild electrical stimulations to the spinal cord. This modifies the nerve activity reducing the pain sensation or sensitivity that reaches the brain.
Neurostimulation therapy recommended by doctors is very effective, especially for chronic pain sufferers. The benefit of this proven therapy is that the pain experienced by the brain is minimized to a great extent. The therapy was designed only after observing how pain is managed by the brain. The therapy approved by the FDA is used to treat the pain caused due to nerve damage in the legs, arms and in the trunk. Spinal cord stimulation for chronic back and neck pain is provided to patients in pain management centers. The staff taking care of patients in these centers are specialized and trained in pain relief -how it occurs and best ways to treat it. Injections are also used to ease the pain.
How to treat back Pain?
Probably the worst pain an individual can experience is back pain, in some cases so severe that it hampers daily life. The treatment options that are used for treating back pain include electrical stimulation to the back and medication to the spine. The most common reason for spinal cord stimulation is failed back surgery. The pain related to the following conditions can also be alleviated through this therapy, scarring of the protective layers of the spinal nerves, painful inflammation and arachnoiditis.
Devices Used for Spinal Cord Stimulation
The devices used for spinal cord stimulation are available in several types but they comprise mainly of three parts. The pulse generator with a battery, a lead wire with 8-32 electrodes and a hand-held remote control that is useful in adjusting the settings of the device, and to switch it on and off. Electrical pulses are delivered to the spinal cord through the electrodes. It is very important that the procedure is carried out by doctors who specialize in pain management or by neurosurgeons. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Pain management is an issue that stares back at mankind, irrespective of the underlying health condition. Whether it is a headache or a back pain, burn or fracture, heart attack or cancer, pain is always a symptom. In some cases like migraines, cancer, etc., the pain is chronic and the patient needs to be constantly on the vigil to know when an attack will ensue. This has also put high pressure on the medical fraternity to identify ways that can provide relief to these people. Various methods have been identified, and one of them is the electrotherapy.
What is done?
A few electrical impulses are directed at the area of the pain using a hand-held device. This is similar to providing electric shocks of mild intensity to the affected area (forehead, low back, neck, etc.). What this does is stimulate the nerve endings, improves circulation and muscle strength and promotes bone growth and tissue repair. The end result of all this is overall improved functioning and pain relief. Depending on the actual condition, the sessions will have to be repeated. In some patients, the electrotherapy is used in conjunction with other therapy so that they can go about their routine exercise and pain relief.
The sessions may also have to be repeated as most often these are used in individuals with chronic pain. They are also helpful in providing relief during the acute attacks.
How does it work?
The most common form of electrotherapy is known as TENS, which stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. The area to be treated is cleansed with spirit and then small sticky pads are applied through which the electricity is passed. A hand-held device is used, through which electrical impulses are passed to the skin, which stimulates the nerve cells to provide relief from pain. It causes a vibrating and tingling sensation in the treated area. It is believed that it blocks the nerve impulses and therefore provides pain relief. Another theory states that they promote the release of endorphins which are natural painkillers; it is also very effective in case of migraine and sciatica and neck pain where the chronic pain is coupled with acute spurts.
With narcotic painkillers having various side effects, techniques like electrotherapy are gaining popularity. A small catch also is that it does not work for everybody and in most people with back pain, fibromyalgia, and migraines, requires repeat sessions for relief. The cost of each session also needs to be considered against the extent of relief achieved. However, for those whom it works, it is a very good technique for chronic pain control. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My toenail, along with the Matrix has halfway peeled off. I just waited for the stopping of bleeding. Then I washed it with warm water and soaked some cotton in betadine and placed over the area and put gauze and leucoplast over it. Its not paining bad. What shall I do next?
I am 27 year old female. Sir I have after 7-8 year head pain .I give me a good treatment. Sir I am very tired I have taken any more treatment sir I help me.
A headache is one of the most common ailments experienced by most people. While some have a definite cause and pattern, others come and go without a proper cause being identified. The severe ones which recur and can affect the quality of life are dreaded by the sufferers. In these people, they know the pattern to it and the thought of it can be scaring. With a lot of research being done, the good news is that there are simple but effective ways of managing these headaches.
Read on to know some of the most common simple ways to get rid of your headache.
- Quieten down: One of the triggers for a headache is bright light and sound and noise. When you try to reduce the amount of noise, light, and sound, surprisingly the headaches will disappear or reduce in intensity for sure.
- Eat on time: Hunger headaches are one of the most common types, and not many realize it. When the gap between two meals is too long, headaches occur. Eating on time is a good and simple way to manage headaches in those who are prone to it.
- Drink it up: Surprisingly, dehydration can lead to headaches, especially when combined with being out in the sun. For fear of having to pass urine, do not make the mistake of not drinking enough water. Keep sipping small amounts and prevent a headache.
- Meditate: Meditating and improving blood flow through the cells helps in preventing and/or reducing the intensity of headaches. This helps relax the muscles and improves pain tolerance too.
- Headgear: For those who are used to wearing tight headgear, loosening up can help in the relief of headaches. Be it a scarf or bandana or a hairband, this can compress blood flow and cause a headache. Loosening these can reduce a headache.
- Massage: A good massage around the forehead, neck, and shoulder is one of the best ways to relax and relieve headaches. This also soothes the nerves and improves blood flow.
- Hot/cold therapy: A good shower (preferred to bath) with alternate hot and cold water works wonders for most people with headaches. While the cold water soothes your nerves, the hot water improves blood flow and provides relief.
- Medications: Needless to say, if none of the above work for you, you would have to take medications. The trick to taking the pill that works for you (prescribed by the doctor, of course!) as soon as you realize the onset of a headache. This helps in controlling the pain quickly and getting rid of a headache.
While headaches are inevitable, there are definitely ways to manage them easily.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!