Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. Smita AbhyankarYour feedback matters!
Sir I have smoking habit. I am smoking since from 4years in future it may kills me or any side effects sir please let me know.
I am a 30 years old man I am a very weak in my iq so I want to improve my iq so kindly suggest me how to develop my iq.
I have been taking self hypnotic sessions from 2 days, I would like to know that is it harmful to the mind and body.
Hii. My son is seven years old. He doesn't speak fluently. He stammers a bit. Do I need to consult to a doctor for removing his stammering or should I wait for him growing up, so that his stammering goes away with his age? Please advise.
We all have times is life when we feel sad and low. Is that a disease and does it require treatment? how to differentiate that sad feeling with depression? this is the question that comes to our mind which leads us to seek treatment from a doctor.
Depression is basically a disorder of mood where there is an reduction of a chemical called serotonin in the brain. Lack of sunlight, stressfull events such as child birth, illness, divorce, work tensions, bereavement, pain, lack of intimate relationships etc can all lead to depression.
To be classified as depression the following symptoms must be present for at least 2 weeks.
Loss of interest or pleasure in anything including what you used to enjoy before.
Sleep disturbances including early wakening, excessive sleeping or inability to sleep.
Ideas of guilt or worthlessness
Decrease or increase in appetite
Inability to concentrate
Slow and sluggish thought process and movements.
As you can notice all these symptoms effect our normal daily functioning and hence requires immediate attention. Suicidal risk in particular is an emergency and needs hospitalization.
The treatment depends on the condition of the patient and there are several options. Nowadays being depressed has become a cool thing and people take antidepressants" happy pills" by themselves. This is not a healthy thing to do. You must consult a doctor and get yourself evaluated before you take any medicines.
Please feel free to ask me a private question if you need further information.
I am suffering from depression for the last 15 years. I was undergoing treatment in our hospital. After coming to kerala I am under the treatment of doctor from pushpagiri medical college, tiruvalla, kerala. Here they have changed the medicine and I am suffering from side effect of the medicine like dry mouth, throat infection, digestion problem etc.
Now a day's I feel mentally depressed due to my failure. We were loving each other for last 3 years. Help me.
These tips can help you feel better -- starting right now.
1. Get in a routine.
If you’re depressed, you need a routine.
Depression can strip away the structure from your life. One day melts into the next. Setting a gentle daily schedule can help you get back on track.
2. Set goals .
When you're depressed, you may feel like you can't accomplish anything. That makes you feel worse about yourself. To push back, set daily goals for yourself.
Start very small. Make your goal something that you can succeed at, like doing the dishes every other day.
As you start to feel better, you can add more challenging daily goals.
3. Exercise .
It temporarily boosts feel-good chemicals called endorphins. It may also have long-term benefits for people with depression . Regular exercise seems to encourage the brain to rewire itself in positive ways.
How much exercise do you need? You don’t need to run marathons to get a benefit. Just walking a few times a week can help.
4. Eat healthy.
There is no magic diet that fixes depression . It's a good idea to watch what you eat, though. If depression tends to make you overeat, getting in control of your eating will help you feel better.
Although nothing is definitive, foods with omega-3 fatty acids (such as salmon and tuna) and
folic acid (such as spinach and avocado) could help ease depression.
5. Get enough sleep .
Depression can make it hard to get enough shut- eye , and too little sleep can make depression worse.
What can you do? Start by making some changes to your lifestyle. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Try not to nap. Take all the distractions out of your bedroom -- no computer and no TV. In time, you may find your sleep improves.
6. Take on responsibilities.
When you’re depressed, you may want to pull back from life and give up your responsibilities at home and at work. Don't.
Staying involved and having daily responsibilities can help you maintain a lifestyle that can help counter depression. They ground you and give you a sense of accomplishment.
If you're not up to full-time school or work, that’s fine. Think about part-time. If that seems like too much, consider volunteer work.
7. Challenge negative thoughts.
In your fight against depression, a lot of the work is mental -- changing how you think. When you're depressed, you leap to the worst possible conclusions.
The next time you're feeling terrible about yourself, use logic as a natural depression treatment . You might feel like no one likes you, but is there real evidence for that? You might feel like the most worthless person on the planet, but is that really likely? It takes practice, but in time you can beat back those negative thoughts before they get out of control.
8. Check with your doctor before using supplements .
There's promising evidence for certain supplements for depression,Those include fish oil , folic acid, and same. But more research needs to be done before we'll know for sure. Always check with your doctor before starting any supplement, especially if you’re already taking medications .
9. Do something new.
When you’re depressed, you’re in a rut. Push yourself to do something different. Go to a museum. Pick up a used book and read it on a park bench. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Take a language class.
When we challenge ourselves to do something different, there are chemical changes in the brain .Trying something new alters the levels of [the brain chemical] dopamine, which is associated with pleasure, enjoyment, and learning.
10. Try to have fun.
If you’re depressed, make time for things you enjoy. What if nothing seems fun anymore? "That's just a symptom of depression,"
As strange as it might sound, you have to work at having fun. Plan things you used to enjoy, even if they feel like a chore. Keep going to the movies. Keep going out with friends for dinner.
When you're depressed, you can lose the knack for enjoying life.You have to relearn how to do it.
My friend, he has habit of smoking. He had first smoke at the age 15 Till the 22 Year old. Wat should he do to quit smoking?
I am an introvert and not talkative /friendly by nature. I don't generally initiate hi /hello to even known people / peers. Specially it happens when they are girls. I want to change my nature like an extrovert and friendly person. Please advise something so that I could be able to change in my habits which are the old. Thanks a lot.
Yoga literally means ‘union’ and it focuses on harmonizing the mind and body by tackling issues like stress. Stress has a debilitating effect on not only self image but also on a person’s libido. Thus, yoga can indirectly bring back a spark to your love life and boost your libido. Here are 6 yoga poses for better sex.
- The Cat stretch: This yoga asana helps strengthen Kegel muscles. Place both your knees and palms on the floor and hips directly above your knees. Inhale while raising your chin, chest and tailbone and arching your back downwards. As you do this, compress your buttocks. Hold your breath for a few second and exhale. As you exhale, arch your back upwards and relax your buttocks.
- The Wide legged Straddle: This exercise boosts libido by increasing blood flow to the pelvic area by stretching the inner thighs. Sit upright on the floor with your legs spread as far apart as possible and toes pointed upwards. Hold your knees. While keeping your back straight try taking your palms closer to your ankles. Stop whenever you feel your hamstrings stretch. Hold your breath and extend your chest downwards as far as possible.
- The Eagle: This pose enhances blood flow into the cervix. To practice this asana stand upright and bend the left knee while wrapping the calf with your right calf and foot. Lower your buttocks till you are almost in a sitting position and tuck in your tailbone. Simultaneously cross your left arm over the right at the elbow and wrap the fore arms around each other till your palms face each other. Lift your arms upwards and hold the position for as long as possible before releasing. Repeat with the other leg.
- The bridge: This position flexes and stretches the hips while toning the vaginal muscles to boost orgasms. Lie on your back and bring your feet 5 inches below your buttocks while bending your knees. Inhale and raise your hips upwards with your palms face down by your side. Hold for 10 seconds and lower your hips while exhaling.
- Bound Angle: This asana opens the hips raises the temperature of thee groin area. Begin by witting upright with your legs outstretched in front of you. Bend your knees outwards and bring your soles together so that they are facing each other. Hold your ankles and try lowering your knees to the ground as far as possible.
- The cobra pose: This is an energizing asana. Lie on your stomach with palms face down below your ribs. Stretch your legs out with the top of your foot pressing against the ground. Lift your chest off the floor and hold for 10 seconds before releasing. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
My voice is rough and unpleasant and too slow. Even I feel so bad when I try to speak something what can I do for a sweet voice.
I am a daily smoker with one to two ciggerates dailysince last 15 years Can it be harmful? or this much smoking is ok
Hello. I am 23. Since last 3-4 months my periods are a little scanty. And this month I have got my periods. M not sexually active. Also I feel my vaginal area is a little dry. Can a girl of 23 years old get menopause? Is this menopause or some other problem. I am otherwise very healthy. Do not smoke or drink and exercise regularly.
I lost somebody close last year and since than feel very depressed and prefer Kipling to my self all the time please help me?
I can't sleep without taking alcohol in the night. Thereafter also weakup after 3 to 4 he's only. What can I do for sound sleep without taking alcohol in the night for at least 7 hrs.
Fear of Alcohol Withdrawals
One justification that alcoholics will use for not giving up the abuse is their fear of alcohol withdrawals. The process of entering sober living can involve an uncomfortable few days, but the rewards that come afterwards make it well worth it. The reality is that alcohol detox symptoms are rarely that uncomfortable and some people experience very little in the way of unpleasantness. The experience that the individual has with withdrawals can depend as much on their expectations as anything else.
Alcohol Withdrawals Defined
The word withdrawals or withdrawal are most commonly used when describing symptoms that people experience when they abruptly discontinue or decrease their intake of medications or recreational drugs. These symptoms begin to occur whenever the level of these chemicals in the bloodstream falls to a certain point. Alcoholics can experience the beginning of withdrawal symptoms as part of their hangover. This is why many of these individuals will feel ill until they manage to consume their first drink of the day. Another way of describing withdrawal symptoms would be to say that they are painful physical and psychological symptoms that occur with the discontinuance of addictive substances.
Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawals
The most common symptoms that people are likely to experience when withdrawing from alcohol include:
* Feelings of anxiety and nervousness
* They often experience a feeling of fuzziness in their cognitive functioning ? they are unable to think straight.
* Inability to sleep or even get comfortable in the bed. When they do fall asleep they may experience disturbing and vivid dreams.
* Nausea and vomiting.
* They feel shaky and easily startled.
* Body aches
* Shaking or trembling
* They feel tired and lack motivation to do anything.
* Cravings for alcohol
* Mild symptoms of depression.
* Sweating or clammy skin.
* Inability to concentrate.
* The feeling that something bad is about to happen.
* Mood swings.
* Changes to vital signs such as increased heart rate or elevated blood pressure.
* Upset stomach
Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal usually begin about 5 to 10 hours following the last drink. They reach their peak between 48 and 72 hours and can persist for a few weeks into recovery. In most instances the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are mild, but there can be more severe symptoms known as delirium tremens (DTs) ? these can be fatal.
Dangers of Delirium Tremens
Those individuals who have been heavily abusing alcohol for many years are at risk of developing the DTs when they give up alcohol. Up until a few years ago the mortality rate from these severe withdrawals was as high as 35%, but it currently stands at about 10%. The risk of death is still there so it is vital that anyone who is likely to experience delirium tremens should be medically supervised during withdrawals. The symptoms of the DTs can include:
* Convulsions similar to clonic tonic seizures where the individual loses consciousness and shakes violently.
* Intense hallucinations that will usually involve moving animals such as rats and snakes. Some people will also experience the hallucination that insects are crawling on their skin.
*Confusion associated with the DTs can be quite severe.
* Changes to vital signs are likely to be more extreme than with usual withdrawal symptoms.
* People can become highly anxious and agitated.
In most instances the symptoms of delirium tremens will appear within the first 72 hours. If the individual makes it past this time without experiencing the DTs they will less at risk of them ? although not entirely risk free. A physician can use a special assessment to judge the likelihood of people developing this severe form of alcohol withdrawals. Those who intend to stop drinking are advised to have this assessment.
Causes of Alcohol Withdrawals
Those individuals who abuse alcohol develop a tolerance for this drug. The body is wonderfully adaptive, and it can adjust functioning to accommodate alcohol abuse. It does this so well that the sudden removal of alcohol from the bloodstream is a shock to the system. It has to struggle to regain normal functioning, and the withdrawal symptoms occur while this is happening.
Alcohol withdrawals also usually involve psychological symptoms that can be just as uncomfortable as the physical ones.
Dangers of Expecting the Worst in Alcohol Withdrawals
One of the best known motivational speakers of the twentieth century, Normal Vincent Peale, once claimed that:
> If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your goal.
The expectations that people have about the future does have an impact on what they will experience. It means that if they are expecting their withdrawal symptoms to be unpleasant they probably will be. Their fear of what is going to happen will mean that they are aware of every single niggle or discomfort, and they can easily blow these out of proportion. This is because when people go looking for trouble they are almost certain to find it.
The Buddha is reported to have given a good explanation for why this happens. He uses the example of a man being hit by an arrow. The pain associated with this event is going to cause discomfort, but the way the person reacts to it can make things worse. If they panic and expect the worst then this is like being hit by a second arrow. Their mental attitude has led to a doubling of their pain. The exact same thing can happen with withdrawal symptoms if people are not careful about their expectations.
Importance of Distraction When Dealing with Alcohol Withdrawals
Distraction is a powerful tool for helping people make it through the early days of recovery. This is because the worst thing that the individual can do is remain focused on their discomfort and cravings. Distraction means turning away from the original focus or interest. When people do this it means that they can at least temporarily escape the stimulus that was making them uncomfortable. Examples of the type of distraction that people might use in early recovery include:
* Watching television ? comedy shows can be a particularly good form of distraction.
* Listening to music, but this should not be anything that reminds the individual of drinking.
* Going for a walk can be a great distraction, and the fresh air also tends to make people feel better.
* Vigorous exercise is another effective solution, but this may not be appropriate for those who are in early recovery and have not exercised in a long time.
* Spending time with other people.
* Playing computer games, though this can have its? own complications for compulsive behavior.
* Reading a book is another option but some individuals may not have the concentration for this in early recovery. Audiobooks may be an effective solution for those who have trouble reading.
Advice For Making It Through Alcohol Withdrawals
Most people will only have mild withdrawal symptoms that will not be any worse than an episode of influenza. It is the knowledge that the individual is able to stop the symptoms by drinking again that makes them more difficult to cope with. In order to make it successfully through alcohol withdrawals it is helpful to:
* It is important to keep in mind that the unpleasant symptoms are only temporary, and the rewards for sitting them out are important.
* The worst thing that people can do is to wallow in their suffering. It is best to keep the mind distracted as much as possible.
* If people have the right mental attitude they may experience very little in the way of symptoms when they give up alcohol.
* Those individuals who expect the worst may be more likely to struggle with their withdrawal symptoms.
* If there is any suggestion that the individual may be progressing towards delirium tremens they will need to medical assistance right away.
* When people feel like they are about to give into the cravings they should delay for an hour. The cravings are likely to lessen during that time and if not they only need to commit to one more hour ? by just keep on committing to one more hour the individual makes it through this stage of weakness.
* It can be helpful to write a letter at the start of the process where the individual writes in detail about their reasons for wanting to quit, and their expectations for a future life in sobriety. If they feel like their motivation is beginning to wane they can look back on this letter for inspiration.
* It can be helpful to remember that many millions of people have successfully made it through the withdrawal process. There is no reason for why the individual cannot do the exact same thing.
* The companionship of other people can be a great help at this stage of recovery.
* The individual will greatly increase their chances of making it through the detox process by entering rehab. Here they will have all the resources they need tom make the process go as smoothly as possible ? they will also be protected from temptation.
* A physician can prescribe medications that will ease discomfort during withdrawals. In most instances such drugs will only be available in a medical setting or when the individual is going through detox in rehab.
* There is no requirement for people to feel miserable during this period of adjustment. Laughter is one of the most effective medicines on the planet and is highly recommended.
quercus,unc vom,crotolus hire,selenium,syphilinium,apomorphinum,thea chenesis,striphanthus his,solidago vir,chloroforminium etc