Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sita GururajaYour feedback matters!
Is it possible that pregnancy strip shows test negative but still pregnant .even after check three times.
Hi. I have endometriosis and was suffering from infertility frm 3 years. I went IVF treatment this month, 23rd they did egg retrieval and doctor informed me that I have OHSS (bilateral enlarged ovaries) Please assist what foods to be taken for my ovaries to get back to normal.
I missed my period for 1 month and my doctor prescribed me with a medicine named norethisterone tablets but before that she asked me to do a pregnancy test first only then have the medicine. I wanted to know that why did she recommend to do a pregnancy test first and then have the medicine is it an abortion pill.
Had an abortion 4 years ago. Now menstrual cycle is normal but reduces sometimes. Are there any possibilities to get conceived again?
Hi, I am trying for pregnancy from last 7 months but still results are negative. please tell me what to do to get pregnant. My periods are also not properly like one month come in 28 days another month come in 24-25 days. And I have kidney stone. please tell what to do?
Hi I have irregular menses and got treatment for that I had given course for about six months now treatment got finished and I'm getting my periods regularly bt safe side doctor suggested me to use metformin 500 mg' tablets daily bt I want to clarify that is it safe that having sex and using that tablets is fine or not please give brief explanation thank you.
Importance of fasting in navaratri.
- India is a country with a rich historical and cultural background of festivals and celebration. Like other festivals of india, navaratri also has a significance and meaning attached to it.
- The nine day sadhana of navaratri is not simply an age-old practice of worshipping the cosmic nature but also the rituals, practices and celebrations associated with it has the disciplines of health wisely interwoven into it.
- Every year the beginning of spring and the beginning of autumn are two very important junctions of climatic and solar influence as the whole of creation goes through a kind of transformation with each changing season.
- These are called ritu sandhis meaning seasonal junctions (transition from extreme seasons of summer and winter to more moderate seasons like spring and autumn). Due to the changes in the nature, the bodies and minds of people undergo a considerable change. These two periods or junctions are taken as opportunities for detoxification of body, mind and soul which in turn helps to maintain our physical and mental balance.
- The beginning of autumn is celebrated as the festival of navaratri, the nine day period which commences on the first day of the bright fortnight of the lunar month of ashwina.
- " nava-ratri" literally means" nine nights"
- The navaratri festival is observed by cleansing one's self of all the impurities to experience the divinity within. This observance is called upavaas, which literally means ‘residing close to oneself’.
- Fasting is one of the techniques which is part of upavaas.
- Navaratri is the time when people fast for cleansing, detoxifying and getting their bodies rested. Fasts are a means of internal cleansing, physically and spiritually. The basic cause of many diseases is the accumulation of toxic materials in the digestive system. When one fasts, the load on the digestive system reduces and meanwhile the body is able to carry out the cleansing needed in the system. It supports in adapting to the bodily changes during ritu sandhi.
- Fasting also helps to build up self-control and discipline and bring more awareness control over senses which ultimately elevate the state of consciousness.
- The world is a manifestation of three gunas (qualities) namely satva, rajas and tamas. These three qualities exist in varying levels within one's mind.
- -satva is the quality comprising of clarity, purity and peace of mind which makes one dynamic, creative and harmonious.
- -rajas is activity or movement which in excess results in pleasure seeking activities, anger, arrogance and destructiveness.
- -tamas is inertia which in excess leads one to dullness lethargy.
- We contain all of these gunas in varying degrees and they are in constant interplay with each other. Excessive rajas and tamas has a disturbing influence upon the mind and does not allow one to go deep within oneself.
- So during navaratri, the aim is to reduce these disturbing influences and increase satva, allowing the satvik qualities to prevail leading to the highest condition of the mind.
- On the first three days of navaratri, tamo guna prevails, then during the next three days, rajo guna prevails and during the last three days, satva guna prevails.
- Diet lifestyle has a deep influence on the state of one's mind and can therefore manipulate the levels of satva, rajas and tamas in one’s being.
- Fasting in a disciplined way brings harmony between satva, rajas and tamas.
How to fast during navaratri:
- On the first three days, we can follow a fruit fast:
- Sweet fruits like: apple, banana, chikku, papaya, watermelon, sweet grapes and juices like amla juice, lauki juice and tender coconut water can be had.
- On the next three days, we can have a one time meal of the traditional navaratri diet, during the rest of the day, we could have fruit juices, buttermilk milk.
- During the last three days, we could follow a traditional navaratri diet.
- Caution: the above diet is for a healthy person. If you have any health concerns, you could fast with minor changes in the prescribed diet, with the guidance of your vaidya.
- Traditional navaratri diet:
- The diets followed during navaratri are pitta pacifying as during this season there is a possibility of pitta being increased in the body.
- Grains are avoided for the first few days.
Traditionally prescribed foods are:
- Kuttu (buckwheat) roti and fasting rice (shamak rice).
- Dosa from the shamak rice,
- Dishes made of sago (sabudana), singhara atta (water chestnut flour), rajgira, potatoes, yam (suran), colocacia (arbi) sweet potatoes (shakarkand), kachalu etc.
- Use ghee, milk and buttermilk. All these are cooling and pacifies pitta (raita of bottle gourd (lauki), raita of pumpkin (kaddu).
- Drink lot of fluids like tender coconut water, juices, vegetable soups, etc. Besides providing energy, they also maintain the fluid levels and cleanse the toxins in your body.
- Fruit chat made with papaya, pear (nashpati), apple.
- Use sandhav namak (rock salt) instead of common salt, for cooking.
- Avoid fried foods (replace fried potato with boiled potato).
- Use healthy cooking methods like roasting, boiling, steaming and grilling.
- Delicacies like sabudan vada, sprouted gram sundals, kuttu pakoda, singhara burfee and kheer can be had from the 8th day onwards.
- Be strictly vegetarian.
- Avoid onion and garlic.
Those who cannot go for a fast can do upavaas by abstaining from non-vegetarian food, alcohol, onion, garlic, too spicy food, and replacing common salt with rock salt.
It is common to go nuts when your newborn begins moaning! You'd need to have the nerves of a bomb-squad professional not to give it a chance to get to you. In any case, with a little experience, that is exactly what you'll create (or near it).
Likewise, don't accept that your baby is crying since she's genuinely tragic or upset. "It's anything but difficult to feel along these lines since that is the reason we cry. Nonetheless, newborn children do it to impart a wide range of things - that they're drained, icy, wet, exhausted, hungry, or overstimulated. Instead of stressing that something is truly wrong, consider crying her method for conversing with you." As you build up a routine with your baby, you'll slowly have the capacity to make sense of what she needs just by the sound of her cries.
Numerous new moms may feel overpowered and ponder:
Take comfort; numerous new moms feel a similar way. These worries are basic and superbly ordinary. You can find a way to deal with the stretch of being another mother.
Rest: Get as much rest as you can, wherever and at whatever point you can. Rest when the baby dozes. Get a brisk rest in the traveler's seat amid an auto ride.
Eat Healthy Foods: The right foods can give you more vitality. Do whatever it takes not to overburden on caffeine. Rather, eat healthy foods and drink lots of water.
Work out: You might not have sufficient energy to do long workouts. In any case, even a couple of minutes here and there spread for the duration of the day can help you have more vitality! Take baby for a walk.
Expect an influx of emotions: Absence of rest, included stretch and stress can abandon you having an inclination that you're on an exciting ride of emotions all around the same time. Relax because of realizing that you're not the only one! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Pain in stomach for whole day and feeling something swollen inside my vagina but for sitting I face difficult.
Tomorrow my 6 week of pregnancy Will complete. Today I had done scan but doctor was saying ki my yolk sac is not visible is there any problem or it can be delay sometime. G sac is visible and it's diameter is 16.5. please suggest what is the reason and what precaution I should take. I had miscarriage 9th December and after that my menstrual period has not resume then I had done upt on 19th January and it was positive.
I am a housewife. I have 2child. My sex life is over now. But some time I feel horny too. Is it taboo to have sex in this age? I am from a middle class family.
I am 8 month pregnant and suffering from white discharge is it normal from last 3 months I am suffering from this problem white discharge is thick.
Hi. I am a 26 year old female, who is suffering from pcos and undergoing ayurvedic treatment for that. While masturbating, I get pain in my lower abdomen and not able to get excited fully. Is this a cause for my periods delay? Also, during periods I have stomach ache and blood cramps with heavy bleeding. Suggest me a remedy.
I had to take I-pill last week. And yesterday I got my period in 15 days only. I m feeling v weak. Is it normal? What should I do?
According to contemporary medical studies, loss of sexual desire is more common in women than in men. As many as 3 in 10 women have reduced or limited sexual interest in any kind of sexual activity. While the medical term for this problem is Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD), it is generally understood as a loss of libido.
There are multiple factors that contribute to this problem including psychiatric or physical disorders, relationship issues, hormonal disorders etc. Let us look at the causes of this disorder at length:
1. Medical Disorders:
- There are conditions such as endometriosis, fibroids and thyroid disorders that may have a negative impact on the sexual drive of a woman.
- Certain medicines such as antidepressants, oral contraceptives, and medicines that lower blood pressure may also negatively impact the sexual drive in women.
2. Hormonal Disorders:
- Dryness of the vagina and pain during sexual intercourse may affect sexual drive both mentally and physically.
- After menopause, drop in the count of testosterone hormone also affects sexual drive which can result in loss of libido.
- With advancing age, the level of androgens decrease, and hence results in a lack of sexual desire.
3. Lifestyle Disorders:
- In some of the cases, lack of emotional support in a relationship plays a significant role in the loss of libido. Post baby 'coolness' may also act as a driving force for loss in libido.
- In today's era, changing lifestyle is drastically affecting our lives. Following an unhealthy lifestyle may result in increased weight that may affect self-image, and indirectly may also affect the sexual desire.
- Stress and job, family pressure and exhaustion may also influence sexual desire of a woman.
4. Psychological factors
- Increasing cases of depression, anxiety, frustration, stress is also an important cause of loss of libido in the contemporary society.
- After childbirth, new moms tend to suffer from lack of sleep, insufficient lubrication of the vagina and exhaustion, which may affect her sexual desire.
The first and foremost step towards dealing with it is to make your partner understand your problem. Then, it is important to consult a doctor to find out the underlying cause, thereafter, treatment of the cause can normalize the condition. Since there are multiple causes of the problem, there are different ways by which the loss of libido can be easily managed and treated. Some of them are discussed below:
- Treatment of Hormonal Disorders: The doctors will suitably treat problems like thyroids or recommend surgical treatment for fibroids to manage HSSD.
- Change in Medications: Since some of the medications are responsible for the lack of libido, the doctors will replace the medications to reverse this lack.
- Addressing the psychological factors: Your doctor will either arrange for suitable psychiatric sessions or ask your partner to coordinate mutually.
- Sex Therapy/Relationship Counseling or Testosterone Therapy: While sex therapy or relationship counseling brings back the interest by effectively counseling the individual, Testosterone therapy involves off-label usage of testosterone hormone since it is not recommended by FDA.
Proper treatment and consulting a medical expert can reverse this disorder efficiently. So, talk about the problem more openly to seek proper guidance and cure. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
The red and itchy sores in genital area, which can cause immense pain are genital sores. They usually spread through infection that has occurred during sexual contact. There may also be bleeding if rubbed or scratched. This is usually a form of sexually transmitted infection which can be caused due to dermatitis or other allergies. Genital herpes and syphilis as well as bacterial diseases like chancroid can also cause the occurrence of this condition.
Here are a few ways in which this may be treated:
- Medication: The general physician or gynaecologist can prescribe a number of drugs that can help in treating this ailment. To begin with, you may have to ingest oral antibiotics or antiviral medication that can ensure that the bacteria do not get a chance to fester, grow and spread. Corticosteroids can also be prescribed for particularly severe cases. Pain relievers can help in soothing the area and the blisters in the genitals, while anti itching drugs like hydrocortisone can ensure that you do not scratch the area which can also lead to bleeding.
- Surgical Removal: A particularly troublesome bout or sores can be removed with the help of non-invasive and surgical procedures depending on the severity of the situation. You may be required to go under medical observation for a few hours or days after the procedure to ensure that there are no complications or further cases of infection.
- Intermittent Treatment: After the initial treatment where you will most likely go through a week long course of antiviral medication, or three weeks of antibiotic therapy, you may have to go through antiviral therapy every now and then. This is especially recommended if yours is a recurring case. Doctors usually recommend the ingestion of pills for two or three days as soon as you start to experience the painful symptoms and eruptions.
- Suppressive Treatment: Very frequent outbreaks can make the doctors prescribe an antiviral pill a day, which will basically act towards suppressing an attack. This kind of treatment is especially helpful if you have had more than six outbreaks in a span of twelve months. This can bring down the risk of outbreaks by about 80%, as per medical studies. This can also reduce the risk of passing on the infection to a partner. If you are taking this kind of treatment, you should see your doctor at least once or twice a year too.
Taking home remedies like a warm compress or sitting in a warm tub of water with a few drops of antibacterial can also help. But you must see a doctor before treating these sores at home. You can also prevent the same by practicing safe sex.
Most dieticians are of the opinion that limiting your salt intake is essential, as an increased amount of salt in the system can damage your kidneys, heart and may increase your blood pressure, and chances of stroke. On the other hand, decreasing it beyond a point can prove to be detrimental to your health in various ways as well.
However, when relating to blood pressure, an increased salt intake can prove harmful to you only if you already have high blood pressure. In the case of normal levels of blood pressure, excess salt consumption will not prove to be too dangerous. Here are the ways in which low salt intake can prove to be detrimental for your health:
- Increases chances of heart diseases: Having a lower amount of salt in your diet - i.e. less than 2000 mg per day increases the risk of heart-related disorders, which include, but may not be limited to, strokes or heart attacks, exponentially.
- Decreases the body's level of sodium: Decreased levels of sodium in the body, often a direct byproduct of a reduced salt intake, can lead to a number of complications. Sodium is essential for maintaining electrolyte and mineral balance in the body. A decrease in sodium levels in the system, in extreme cases, can lead to hyponatremia, which can prove detrimental for the kidneys or liver.
Salt, which mainly contains two radicals - sodium and chloride ions, are essential for life. However, they can be obtained only through food as it is not manufactured intrinsically. There are several essential reasons for why salt intake in the optimal amounts is absolutely crucial in maintaining healthy body functioning:
- It is an essential component of blood plasma, as well as several other crucial body fluids such as extracellular fluid, lymphatic fluid, and amniotic fluid.
- It is important for maintenance and regulation of a proper level of blood pressure.
- Sodium, in the context of body physiology, is critical in maintaining a proper acid-base level in your system and in controlling the levels of your body fluid.
- The exchange of sodium and potassium ions, both obtained from salts, is also essential for muscle movement and in sending signals from the brain to the muscles.
Related Tip: Why Sodium is So Bad? + How to Control it with Diet?