Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sita Guriraja
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sita GurirajaYour feedback matters!
With the modernization of all economies around the world, one health hazard that has become one of the largest perils within both developed and developing nations is the incidence of cancers of the female reproductive system, especially cervical and breast cancer.
Breast cancer is the formation of malignant tumors within the breast tissues of a woman. Usually, breast cancer affects women in the age range of 40 to 50, but there have been many reports of it occurring earlier. About 48 % percent of the Indian women having breast cancer have been reported to be under 50. This is an almost 17 percent jump compared to figures 25 years earlier.
Alarming Signs of Breast Cancer:
- The most common symptom of breast cancer is a new lump or mass. A painless, hard mass that has irregular edges is more likely to be cancerous, but breast cancers can be tender, soft, or rounded.
- Swelling of all or part of a breast (even if no distinct lump is felt)
- Skin irritation or dimpling
- Breast or nipple pain
- Nipple retraction (turning inward)
- Redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Nipple discharge (other than breast milk)
Screening Guidelines for Breast cancer:
- Mammography: US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends mammography once in every 2 year for females between age group 50-75 years. Women with a family history has a benefit of starting at age 40 years. After 75 years there are insufficient evidence of benefit of screening mammography.
- Breast Self Examination and annual Clinical examination: breast self examination is easy to learn and and any abnormality should be reported to the oncologist.
- For High Risk/ Genetic risk factors: screening should start by age 25 or 10 years earlier of youngest relative affected. Annual mammogram and MRI or Doppler ultrasound alternating at 6 month interval can be considered.
Some of the common treatment options for breast cancers are:
- Breast conservation surgery - This is where the tumors are removed without cutting out too much of the surrounding breast tissue.
- Mastectomy - If the cancer has spread too far then large amounts of breast tissue has to be removed along with the tumor to stop its spread any further.
- Sentinel lymph node Biopsy - it's part of both surgical procedures, it decreases morbidities of lymph node dissection first draining lymph nodes only are removed in patients with clinically negative axilla. If negative on frozen section further axillary dissection is avoided. It avoids the morbidity of complete axillary clearance.
Cervical cancer ( Carcinoma Cervix)
Cervical cancer is the cancer of the cervix, which is the opening of the uterus and connects the uterus to the vagina. Indian women in particular are susceptible to cervical cancer as more than 1/3rd of the cervical cancer related deaths in the entire world happens here in India, which is about 74000 deaths annually. The leading cause for cervical cancer is HPV or Human Papillomavirus infection, which if left untreated and unchecked will result in cancer.
Alarming Signs of Cervical Carcinoma:
- Early lesions and precancerous lesions have no symptoms
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding such as bleeding after vaginal intercourse, bleeding after menopause, bleeding and spotting between periods or longer/heavier periods
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Pelvic pain
- Late stage disease may cause lower extremity swelling, problem with urine and/or stool passage
- Cervical cancer screening is most effective screening programme of any cancer disease resulting in significant decrease in mortality from carcinoma cervix
- United state preventive services task force (USPSTF) recommend cervical cancer screening starting at age 21 yrs.
- Between age 21-30 years cytology recommended at 3 year interval and HPV testing is not recommended.
- Between 30-65 years cytology every 3 year or cytology +HPV testing every 5 year.
- If previously adequately screened screening can be discontinued after 65 years.
- Women with prior total hysterectomy and no CIN can discontinue screening.
Apart from breast and cervical cancers, certain other cancers have also reported an alarming increase such as:-
Ovarian cancer (Carcinoma Ovary)
Starting in the ovaries, diagnosis of this type of cancer is usually delayed due to lack of visible symptoms in the initial stages. About 85% to 90% of ovarian cancers are epithelial ovarian carcinomas. Epithelial ovarian cancers tend to spread to the lining and organs of the pelvis and abdomen (belly) first. This may lead to the buildup of fluid in the abdominal cavity (called ascites). As it advances, it may spread to the lung and liver, or, rarely, to the brain, bones, or skin. The main treatments for ovarian cancer are surgery and chemotherapy.
Cancer of the endometrium (Carcinoma Endometrium)
Endometrium is the lining of the uterine wall and has along with ovarian, uterine and cervical cancer is also increasing in occurrences throughout India and the world.
The grade of an endometrial cancer is based on how much the cancer forms glands that look similar to those found in normal, healthy endometrium.
- Grade 1 tumors have 95% or more of the cancerous tissue forming glands.
- Grade 2 tumors have between 50% and 94% of the cancerous tissue forming glands.
- Grade 3 tumors have less than half of the cancerous tissue forming glands. Grade 3 cancers tend to be aggressive and have a poorer outlook than lower-grade cancers.
Cervical cancer along with Ovarian, uterine and endometrial cancer can be treated using the following methods:
1. Surgery: Radical Hysterectomy primarily preferred option for early stage disease. Both open and minimal invasive approaches are suitable.
- For precancer high grade lesion conisation is also option for compliant patient.
- In young suitable patient willing for childbearing trachelectomy is also possible in very early lesion.
- Depending on risk factors after surgery adjuvant treatment may be advised.
2. Radiation therapy or Combined Radiation therapy+Chemotherapy: Alternative to surgery in early stage and choice in late stage.
Certain prevention techniques that would be advisable to detect cancer in its early stages would be,
- Regular Pap smear tests for cervical cancer
- Taking vaccines for cervical cancer
- Regular mammograms and checkups for breast cancer
- Changing lifestyles to reduce stress
- Changes in diet to reduce risks
- Leading a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise
Related Tip: Can Ayurveda Really Treat Cancer? Find Out.
Sir my friend has sex with her gf sex mean not a sex he just put into pussy and taken out in fraction of minute no sperm entered into her he thinks but he was fully tension that any problem or any effect will happen can you give a solution for one time (even in fraction of minute) will give pregnancy it is my doubt can you please clear.
Treatment, symptoms and risk factor of PCOS
I’m Dr. Sunita Gupta. I’m a consultant gynaecologist with Max Hospital Saket and Panchsheel, and I, in my first video I talked to you about the PCOS and today I’m further going to go into depth on the disease. So, third symptom is excessive facial hair on the face and the body. That is also again because of the male hormone circulating in the blood, and again, the treatment remains contraceptive pills. So most of the patients respond to contraceptive pills, but it can take up to six months to show its effect, and whatever hair is already there on the skin that will not respond and the fresh hair will stop coming with this treatment. Whatever hair is already there has to be treated by the skin specialist, so they can advise laser treatment or any beauty treatment for that, or some local creams are also there to reduce the facial hair.
And the fourth symptom is irregular cycles. Irregular cycle are also because of the male hormones in the blood. They also respond very well to contraceptive pills, but sadly not all patients need to take contraceptive pills for irregular cycles, sometimes if you correct the insulin resistance which is the basic cause in polycystic ovary, then also the cycles can become irregular also, can become regular, and so we can give them Metformin or some insulin, some medicines which can tackle the insulin resistance, which is the basic cause of obesity. And sometimes patients with polycystic ovary have excessive hair fall, which is also related to the male hormone in the blood, and if we correct the PCOD the hair fall stops, and it can take up to three months to respond.
In Polycystic ovary patients, because of the male hormone in the blood, the egg formation doesn’t occur properly and that’s why they often have infertility problem, and they may have difficulty in conceiving. If normally paints have egg formation every month, in polycystic ovary patients they may have egg formation in three months, six months, so they take all that longer to conceive. So we have medicines that induce egg formation and if we correct the PCOD, then also egg formation, if we lose weight and regular exercise by that alone so many patients start ovulating every month and they can conceive. The hormones become alright. Because it has to be a perfect cocktail of hormone in your blood, then only it becomes favorable for egg formation and for conception. So that can happen only if with regular exercise and dieting.
Sometimes you may need treatment for egg formation and infertility also occurs because the lining of the uterus is thin in these patients. Again because the progesterone hormone is less in these patients. So we may need to give them progesterone hormones in the second half of the cycle to improve their chances of conception. PCOS patients also have more chances of abortions in the first three months of pregnancy, because they have less of progesterone hormone in their blood, and that is required for so that the seed can make its roots properly in the uterus, so we need to give they progesterone supplements sometimes if they even need estrogen supplements or even some medicines to improve the blood flow in the uterus.
So even the PC or the male hormone have to be kept under control so that the baby can grow properly. For that we need to give them something to control the insulin resistance so that automatically the male hormones in the blood go down. So first three months are very crucial for PCOS patients. If the first three months can be tackled, then the rest of the pregnancy normally goes uneventful. So that is all about PCOS I wanted to share with you.
And if you want to consult me any further, you can consult me on Lybrate.com, or you can consult directly in Max Hospital Saket.
I did not have periods this month. I did urine pregnancy test. Its negative. But my tsh is 6.05. I had consulted a doc. She gave raja parvatani vati and amylocordial syrup. I am taking these medicines for a week. When will I get my periods. Is there a chance of pregnancy.
I am 27 years old female. Having fertility treatment 3 sitrodin injection last month. Although my period is regular bt this month period not come after 8 days n pregnancy test shows negative. What to do. Pls suggest me.
My wife pregnant 21 week USG ultrasound said that unborn has cleft lip and palate. So Dr. is there any change or medication to recover.
During pregnancy, it is essential to have a wholesome nutrition to ensure the growing baby receives a wholesome nutrition too. Extremely essential are some minerals and vitamins which have a significant role in the development of the baby. The skeletal development, for instance, is one such crucial event, and the onus is on the mother to ensure the required ingredients in the required quantity are reaching the growing fetus.
Read on to know the importance of vitamin D during the pregnancy period.
Why is it important: With the skeletal development in place, the baby’s teeth and bones begin to take shape. Both these are highly matrix-driven structures and require a good amount of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D is essential to maintain good amounts of calcium and phosphorus in the body.
Complications: Insufficient amounts of vitamin D can produce a range of symptoms from absolutely no issues to severe bone malformations. If not sufficient, the bones and teeth could become hypomineralized and weak leading to fractures, brittle bones, and rickets in newborn children. There are also reported incidents of low birth weight, preterm birth, and higher risks during pregnancy, but these need to be proven yet.
Sources: Top 10 Vitamin D Rich Foods- Sunlight, Cod liver oil, Sardines, Salmon, Mackerel, Tuna, Raw Milk, Caviar, Eggs and Mushrooms.
Risk factors for vitamin D deficiency: People with darker skin, obesity, and fat malabsorption conditions are more prone to develop vitamin D deficiency. With the importance of vitamin D and its role in skeletal development well established, ensure you get the right amounts of it, whatever be the source.
I lost my sister 22 days back. She was 21 years old. She suffered from triple A syndrome. Her haemoglobin had gone down to 3.8.Blood loss happened due to heavy periods for 15 days. She was taking homeopathy medicines to increase her blood level. Allopathy medicines for iron (like orofer) did not suit her. It caused her severe stomach pain. Her endocrinologist did not suggest blood transfusion for her. She had gas and vomiting problem on her last evening. She complained of chest and back pain. She was given rantac and zofer for it. But still she kept vomiting. This started in the afternoon and she passed away early morning at 4a. M.My mother keeps blaming herself for her death. She says that if she had a blood transfusion or hospitalized her earlier she could have been saved. She says that my sister's death was her mistake. She keeps repeating this about 100 times a day or more. She is devastated. I fear that this might affect her mental health. Please help.
Dr. abortion me goli kitni effective hoti h is se koi side effective to ni h na kyu k mujhe 12 Din Ki pregnancy h Pls answer hindi me djiye.
Hi. I had my last period on 29th may later I had unprotected intercourse on 15th june n I did not get my periods later on 4th july I had urine test n it showed positive result and on 8th july I took pills to avoid pregnancy n on 9th july I observed my periods which lasted till 13th july n bleeding was not so heavy as I know. Later on 28th july I had sonography which showed no sign of pregnancy & on 6th & 10th july I went lab for urine test results were again negative. But still I have not got my periods can you please suggest me is there possibility to b still pregnant & if so what to do as m too stressed because of delay again in periods this month? please suggest me what to do n when it will be becoming normal? How long will it take time please advice me as I am too panic and its 12th august still no periods?
Hello problem is that last month 24 oct my parter fingering me in inside the vagina n we didn't sex n not sperm come out as well as not intercourse between us .today is 21 Nov bt not get period now and what is problem behind it n can pregnancy problem?
I am 26 .I am married for 2 years. We did unprotected sex for 2 years. I did not take any precautions nor did he. Usually he used to bring out his thing at the time of discharge. I dint get pregnant anytime. Now as I want to conceive, I thought to consult a doctor for dos and do nots. But the doc, much to my irritation, only asked weather I take any precaution or not. She told me it is worrisome how you hvnt conceived yet if also your husband does not discharge within you. She has told me to do some test. So I want to ask is it really a danger?
1. Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.
2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.
3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps by eating a banana.
4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
5. Improve your mood and reduce pms symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation.
6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type ii diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin b-6.
7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.
8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the fda as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
Eating bananas aids digestion
- Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
- Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
- Constipated? high fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
- Got the runs? bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.
- Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and gerd.
- Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
Natural cures from a simple banana
- ?Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
- Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
- Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
- Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness.
- Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.
- Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana.
- Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.
- The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve seasonal affective disorder (sad).
- Quitting smoking? bananas contain high levels of b-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium to speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal.