Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shweta ChawlaYour feedback matters!
My Child is of 3 years old He is having no hair at some portion of his head from the day he is born i.e. No hair growth from the scalp of the head What lotion or cream you suggest for it. Pls keep in mind that he is just 3 years Old.
Mouth breathing in children is very common and while a kid with open mouth might seem cute, it is not always the case. The parents need to be made aware that a child breathing through the mouth all the time is not normal and it is high time they find a way to manage it.
A little understanding of the effects of the mouth breathing habit on the child's health in general and oral health in particular can be an eye-opener for the parent. For an educated person, there are obvious symptoms, which indicate that the child is a mouth-breather.
These symptoms include:
- Dryness of the lips
- Crowding of the front teeth
- Sleeping with the mouth open
- Recurrent infections of the airways including sinusitis and middle ear infections
- Bad breath
Common causes include:
- Chronic nasal obstruction/congestion because of which the child is not able to get enough oxygen through the nose.
- Enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Thumb or finger-sucking habit
- Recurrent respiratory infections
Effects of mouth breathing on oral health:
Mouth breathing may seem like a harmless habit, but has serious effects on the oral and dental health of the child. Some of them are discussed below.
- Dry mouth: A constantly open mouth can lead to drying up of the saliva. This in turn leads to reduced effects of saliva including the flushing effect on the bacteria and the food deposits. This leads to increased chances of tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Tooth decay: With reduced saliva, the pH remains acidic for a longer period of time, leading to increased chances of tooth decay.
- Gum diseases: Reduced amounts of saliva also leads to increased gum disease and periodontal disease as the bacteria are not removed and have a conducive environment to act upon.
- Facial development: A mouth breathing child maintains a different posture than a nose breather. This leads to a narrow and long face, flattened nose, smaller nostrils, reduced facial tone, thin upper lip, pouty upper lip, and a small lower jaw.
- Speech: An open mouth causes the tongue to thrust into the palate when talking. This leads to altered pronunciation of some sounds; especially and can cause lisping.
- Braces: Mouth breathing causes multiple challenges including prolonged treatment period, inability to close the gaps, reduced stability of the realigned teeth, and increased chances of relapse. The added complication of increased gum disease and tooth decay makes it worse. The habit needs to be corrected first before going in for braces.
If that sounds like a long list, they are not all inclusive. Early intervention in the habit can correct and negate all these effects. Talk to your dentist to know how to help your mouth breathing child.
Hi My Daughter is 2 years old she got full rash kind of thing around her head like above the forehead, behind her ears and above the neck wt is the natural way to get rid of that. She feels more itching.
My 4 year old Son is suffering from ITP from Dec'15. He has a plate count of around 35000. He has been on prednisolone dosage tapering from 20 mg to 2.5 mg per day till 10th Jun'16. Now he is taking only Azoran 50 mg daily. He does not have any bleeding symptoms, only some bruises.
Dear doctor, My baby is 24 days old now. She is premature and was born in 33 weeks. From two days she has started to spit up milk soon after feeding, twice through her nose, also she coughs in between feeding also in her sleep sometimes. Also she has bubbly thick saliva always. Is it a serious issue? The pediatrician I consulted did not give this much importance, but it looks like she is irritated when she has this thick saliva in her mouth. Is there something I can do to make her feel better. Should I hold her upright after feeding? Thank you.
I am not getting proper nutrition or what that my weight is not increasing I eat so much but after that also please solve this problem.
My daughter is having loose motion for 3 days. Oflo m is been give 3.5 ml twice for 3 days. The frequency has reduced but the motions are still on. please suggest.
Am eighteen year old. My weight is 86kg. But I don't look that much fat. Two days back I had a free checkup. They told me that I have too much of fat contents in me. And they even told me that. My body is functioning like 38year man. After hearing this it made me very much disappointed. Am just 18 but why is it like this. I don't look to much fat also. Is there any problem in me. Or it is bone weight. Can it be over come. And some of my friends suggest me to smoke, they told me that smoking can make a thin. Is it true. If it is then kindly tell me about smoking too. Please. I am disappointed. Y is it like this.
My 2 years old kid (female - till now no speech, but says 2 or 3 word only) having mild autistic spectrum disorder. Doctors informed to go for occupational therapy and speech therapy. I want to know about this. It is curable or not? Most of them telling that, this is not curable. Please advice.
Your child needs complete care whether it is emotional, psychological or physical. A thorough evaluation of your child’s body and mind is vital at nascent stages. Especially if you observed any complaints by your little one that may require medical help, such as:
1. Frequent headaches
Much like adults, children too can experience headaches that last from 30 minutes to 3 hours. A range of primary or secondary headaches like, migraine, meningitis, sinusitis or tension may affect children due to neurological issues.
2. Blurry vision
If you observe either a vision developmental delay or near-sightedness and farsightedness in your child, it might be related to neurological issues.
3. Slurred Speech
If your child is 7-8 months and is not responding to sounds or cannot babble non-sense words, it calls for a neurological check-up.
4. Motor and Co-ordination Delay
Sometimes babies are unable to perform motor skill activities like crawling, walking or using fingers to grip or hold, such delay requires attention of the parent.
Check if your kid has become lazy and decreased his physical activities due to fatigue and tiredness suddenly of late.
6. Abnormal Movements
Common involuntary movements or tics like eye blinking, twitching of nose, grimacing or making sounds is in some cases overlooked. Tourette syndrome is an example of such a tic, which has been evaluated as a neurological issue.
7. Tremors or Seizures
Children are prone to febrile seizures (fits) or tremors along with fever that occur between 6 months and 5 years. These are signs of neurological issues that require an immediate check-up.
8. Numbness in Limbs
Neurological complications in your child’s infancy may also cause joint pain and numbness of arms and legs.
9. Behavioural disorders
A change in behaviour or attitude in your child is noticed if he/she is suffering from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, school problems, sleep issues, intellectual disability or other neural conditions.
This symptom is tricky in children, as it may be confused with general tiredness by your human eye. It may be unheard of but many children face trouble in performing easy tasks. A neurological exam may identify the source for treatments.
An underlying problem to the nervous system can cause harm or impairment in the normal growth and development of your kid. Early diagnosis helps in correct care, recovery and prevention of long-term problems. You can opt for a routine neurological examination if you find such symptoms in your child. These exams check the functioning of your child’s brain, spinal cord, nerves that come from the brain and spinal cord and offers accurate diagnosis.
Get your child the best treatment and care to rule out neurological issues!
My son is 5 years old. He is not able to speak but can hear like normal child. Yesterday he fell down and half right hand part of his body was not moving. After 1 hour again he becomes normal. Which type of disease it is.
Hi my baby was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux with suspected uti. And was put on antibiotics till date. She was 2 months old at diag. Now she is normal. Should we need to continue the med. Dose 1.5ml septron.
My baby has completed 6 weeks. For her 6 week vaccination. Wht is painful n painless vaccination. Wht is d difference n wht is d cost?
My grand son age 3 and-a-half is healthy and hyper active. But he lately has very high eosinophilia count of 1600. Kindly advise the treatment and explain this situation.
My 6 years girl getting breast pain one side and they are bit big in size compared to other, please guide me whether I have see Gynecology or pediatrics. Appreciate your early reply.
Parents are always concerned about their child's physical health, but often ignore their mental health. Along with physical well-being, your child's mental well-being is also equally important.
The following are eight tips to improve your child's mental well-being:
- Adequate sleep: Sufficient amount of sleep is required for a child to stay mentally fit. Parents often engage their children with various classes and activities and compromise on their sleeping hours. This in turn affects the child's mental state. Therefore, as a parent, you must take care not to compromise on your child's sleeping hours.
- Allowing them to play: Nowadays, children are overburdened with studies and other learning activities. They do not get to play quite often. But as a parent, you must take care of your child's schedule, so that he/she can have proper playtime too. Playing involves physical activity as well as creativity in certain cases. This helps to improve mental health.
- Learning to share and care: You must take care to inculcate in your child the values of sharing and caring. These little things can also help improve your child's mental health. Learning how to share with others and caring for others will help them to stay happy.
- Regular exercise: Encouraging your child to regularly exercise will not only help improve his/her physical health, but also mental health. It will also help them to reduce stress and maintain a good mood as well.
- Listen to them: Parents often ignore when children are speaking on less important matters; may be about a new friend or a strict teacher in school. But as a parent, you must take out some time from your daily schedule to listen out to their stories. Listening to them attentively will make them feel important, increase their confidence and hence, improve their mental well-being.
- Encourage them to make friends: Encouraging your child to make new friends will help them to socialize better. They will feel confident about themselves and also open up. This can boost up their mental well-being.
- Good nourishment: Proper nourishment is not only essential for being physically fit, but also mentally fit. Good nourishment will help them stay healthy physically and increase their energy levels. This in turn will positively affect their mental health.
- Make them feel safe: Children need to feel safe in order to stay mentally fit. Try and spend some time with them every day. As a parent, always make your children realize that you are right beside them. Listen to their problems and help them find solutions to solve those instead of scolding them. Help them to relax and feel secure to stay mentally fit.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a the doctor and ask a free question.