Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Shubash AgalYour feedback matters!
The quote 'Good day starts with coffee' suits a lot of people who love nothing more than a cup of coffee every morning. However, your morning tryst with a cup of coffee might not be a very healthy habit. Believe it or not, addiction to caffeine (in the form of coffee) is as harmful as addiction to any other drug. In fact, caffeine is a legal drug that slowly and gradually damages your gastrointestinal tract. Here are the negative effects of coffee on your digestive system:
- Increases Acidity: Coffee is known to contain different kinds of oils, acids and caffeine. These compounds have an adverse impact on the digestive system. The stomach and intestinal linings get damaged due to the over-consumption of these compounds in the form of coffee. Moreover, as you take coffee, your stomach produces more hydrochloric acid for digestion. This causes acidity and hampers the HCL levels altogether. When we take coffee regularly for years in empty stomach, our body's capacity of producing proper amounts of HCL gets hampered. Often, HCL production gets reduced as well. This leads to indigestion of other food items and effects flatulence and produces unwanted gases due to the improper breaking of proteins and fats by the body.
- Ulcers and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Doctors believe that coffee acts as an irritant for patients of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), gastritis, Crohn's disease, colitis and ulcers. Coffee is responsible for the irritation of the lining of stomach and intestine. It is also noticed that certain enzymes present in the coffee beans are also harmful to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Heartburn: Coffee is responsible for relaxing the esophageal sphincter muscle. The relaxation of this muscle hinders the process of digestion and causes acid-reflux, resulting in heartburn. It is known to have compounds that have diuretic, laxative and mineral blocking effects on the body.
- Laxative Effects: Coffee stimulates the process of peristalsis or movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract. The peristalsis starts immediately after food is swallowed by the individual. The intake of coffee catalyzes peristalsis and consequently leads to emptying of the stomach even before the food is digested properly. The semi-digested food is sent to the intestine too early, causing injury to the intestine and hampering the absorption of nutrients.
- Affects absorption of minerals: Caffeine reduces the ability of the stomach to absorb iron and also hinders the absorption of minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium by the kidney. All these minerals help in digestion at different points and regulate the bowel movement.
Coffee is known to have benefits like reduction of constipation and sugar absorption. But, it also interferes with the smooth functioning of the digestive system. It has a tendency to increase stomach aches, disturb the fluid balance and the overall process of digestion. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gastroenterologist.
I want answer for how we remove the gall blader stone, how to possible with out surgery remove the Stone.
Hello My son is having diarrhea from past 3 days. He is passing more than 20 stools in a day. Earlier the color was black now it is greenish with mucous. We have consulted a homeopathy doctor and she has prescribed aloes200. Podo 200 and merc cor. For dysentery. Is it the correct medication since we are taking this from 3 days. He had fever also of 103 degree which has now reduced to 98.6. Only the frequency of stools has not reduced. We are confused if we should take him to allopathy for immediate relief or will it heal through homeopathic treatment.
Sir my mom have stomach problem. He can't digest acidic foods. And it cause very hard pain. It's an problem since his childhood. Olzz tells me.
I am suffering from gastric problem, and after having food it aggravates and sometime during sleep the food returns back which causes choking and breathing problem. I am 63 now and wanted a permanent solution for this problem. Thank you.
I am having a acidity problem at night. If I take a little bit oily food, I started having a chest burn problem. But still I don't have any liver problem. What is the appropriate solution for this problem?
My hair has started growing white at much faster speed I am 31 yrs old male. I am also suffering from improper digestion, e. G if I take green leaves in food, stool is full of green leaves. Is there any corelation between indigestion and white hair. Please suggest
I have stomach inflammation, bloating, soft and sticky stool for 2 years. I did not lose weight and my appetite is good. One of my doctor told me its IBS and the others told me its stomach ulcer. But its affecting me daily. What could be the reason?
Hi. Fissure in anal. Struggling a lot. Please help me to cure. Not complete relief. Its blooding if stool is hard. I am drinking plenty of water. Not having many more foods that needs. Because too heal the fissure.
I have desk job and iam suffering from acidity and gas problem and also paining spinal code so kindly guide me.
From the last week muje motion main problem ho raha he ,motion bahut hard hota he aur bleeding ho raha he kya iske liye kya karu?
I drink weekly. And sometime I feel pain in my abdomen. Is this for drinking alcohol. Or its for Gas or junk food?
When you have pain in the stomach that is accompanied by nausea and vomiting, chances of you having chronic gastritis are high. This is an issue that specifically affects the stomach and is caused because the lining of the stomach gets inflamed and swollen and in some cases it may get damaged. The deterioration of the lining may be caused because of a bacterial infection and that would have to be treated with specialised medicines and treatment methods. During that time you may feel like there is something wrong with your digestive system and you may need to consult a doctor for the constant pain that you have to go through as soon as you eat something.
There may be times when you can no longer cope with the pain that may be occurring in your stomach. You may want to go to sleep or just sit still and do nothing; however, you cannot spend your entire life in that manner and you may have to consult an expert to get relief from the problem. One of the first steps in coping with chronic gastritis is to make sure that you make important lifestyle changes, such as eating healthy, choosing the right timings for eating, cutting down on alcohol and smoking and making sure that you choose a well-qualified and experienced doctor for getting the treatment.
Apart from lifestyle changes, it is highly essential to follow a medication routine in order to beat the chronic gastritis completely. Doctors may suggest you take the medication according to the severity of the problem, but before that, you may be asked to go through a number of tests to confirm the problem. The tests may range from regular blood tests, stool tests, to endoscopy or even biopsy in some severe cases. After the testes are done, the doctors may be further sure about the the problem and that would be of great help in treating the issue with much more ease and expertise.
While it may be obvious to you that you suffer from chronic gastritis due to the constant pain in the stomach, it is also important to understand that the problem should not be taken lightly and that the right steps of the treatment should be taken in time before the problem gets worse.