Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Surrogacy
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Management of Postnatal Care
Adiana System Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shradha Dwarkanath UpasaniYour feedback matters!
Iodine deficiency is a very common problem worldwide and is a major cause of thyroid disorders. The entire mechanism of how deficiency of iodine causes hypothyroidism is a complex explanation. So we will stick to layman terms and keep it simple. Deficiency of iodine causes a range of diseases which, altogether are termed as iodine deficiency diseases. When an individual does not receive enough iodine, the thyroid gland increases in size because the thyroid is unable to make enough hormones that are necessary for the body. This causes the development of a condition called goitre. Iodine deficiency in pregnant and lactating women is a serious concern because it is the most popular cause of preventable mental retardation.
There can be situations where a person might not be getting adequate iodine, but may not show any symptoms of iodine deficiency. The easiest way to know if a person has iodine deficiency is to get a urine test done or a blood test done to check the level of iodine in the body. Thyroid is a very important gland and is responsible for the following:
- Controlling the metabolic rate
- Boosting synthesis of proteins
- Regulating blood flow and heart rate
- Promoting brain development and linear growth in children
- Helping in normal reproductive functioning in adults
Here are the most common signs that can tell you that your thyroid is not functioning properly due to deficiency of iodine.
- You feel lethargic and tired most of the times and suffer from weakness constantly (due to reduced metabolic rates).
- You may start feeling cold, even when it is visibly warm for the others around you.
- You may have difficulty in concentrating and might have a poor memory (due to slowed down mental processes)
- You may experience unusual weight gain.
- You may become more prone to depressive periods.
- You may notice your skin becoming thick and puffy or your face becoming puffier than usual.
- You may suffer from hair loss.
- You may start having frequent problems of constipation.
- Your skin might feel really dry.
- You might feel your heart beating slower.
- Visible signs would include enlargement of the chin and neck area (caused due to enlargement of your thyroid gland).
With proper treatment and change in diet, iodine deficiency disorders can be prevented with ease. For a better diagnosis, you must consult an experienced medical practitioner and follow his suggestions for improving the iodine levels in your body.
Hi. I have an gynecological problem. M suffering from irregular menstrual cycle and poly cysts. What should I do? And I have many flat moles on my face. How they can be removed.? And tell me how can i increase the volume of my hairs. And how to slim hip and thigh? please suggest.
Why bleed vagina after sex. She is not suffering from period, period was just 10 15 days before then why bleeding. During sex there is no pain no scratches and no pricking but during sex some time she feels like she has no energy for few seconds. So what is the reason bleeding vagina.
My is almost 8 month pregnant, in ultra sound it is found that posture of baby in womb not OK. Baby is sitting opposite. And doctor saying delivery will be done by c-section (operation) if same continue. Please tell how to correct posture of baby.
I am having vaginal burning since 10 -12 days, what is d reason behind dis. And hw to get rid of dis?
I have got married in 2010. I have 1 baby of 1.5 yrs. In beginning my wife interested in sex. But now after birth of child she is not interested even after foreplay. Due to this I am very frustrated. Is there any homeopathic medicine to cure it.
I have pain in my breast since two days today I notice harness in downward side of my breast I feel heaviness also. I stop breastfeed since one year.
I am 22 years old married. I did not hav intercourse, but my periods hav not come still, my period date is 4 but today is almost 15 th. I have done UPT test, result is negative. Wat is the problem.
I'm 26 year single male I'm doing masturbation from last 10 years And sir now I'm absorbing that my erection is coming my leakage of water tap and same urine also coming with no pressure I'm through of urine. Please suggest me what I need to do. Is it abnormality act . Is it a sign of infertility .
I am 24 years old. I wanted to know can unprotected sex lead to pregnancy if no ejaculation happens inside vagina? I was into this for around 7 days, about for 10 minutes each day. I am having severe vaginal irritation now for which Lybrate doctors prescribed with metrogyl 400 and Clingen vaginal insertion tablets. I am under these medication. I am not having my periods. It is 5 days late now and still counting. I am detected with PCOD and often get delayed periods. Can there be any pregnancy related issue? Please respond. I am very worried.
Every woman likes to look into the mirror and find not an extra strand of hair on her face, be it the upper lip or near the ears. While it is not uncommon for women to have hair on these and other areas, most women resort to multiple ways to get rid of this. The pattern of this unnecessary hair growth is very similar to the pattern seen in males normally.
This condition of excessive hair growth is known as hirsutism and can be caused by multiple causes, as listed below.
- Genetic or racial: While the European women have a more clean face that is free of hair, the Mediterranean and Indian women are highly likely to have more facial hair growth. There is also a strong family history relation, and it is hereditary.
- Androgens (testosterone): This is a male hormone, essential for the development of male sexual characters. Though it is present in very minute amounts in all women, in some, there could be higher than these minimal levels, leading to minor masculine characters, facial hair being one of them.
- Hormonal imbalances: There are multiple hormonal issues which can manifest as increased facial hair growth. The two most common ones include polycystic ovarian syndrome ((PCOS)) and adrenal conditions including tumours, Cushing's syndrome, and hyperplasia. In all these cases, there is increased amount of androgens, leading to excessive facial hair.
- Medication side effect: Some medications like testosterone, cyclosporine, anabolic steroids, and Minoxidil also lead to increased amounts of facial hair in women. Some other medications used to treat migraines, seizures, schizophrenia, and hypertension can also cause hirsutism. This is indirectly due to increased levels of male hormones in the system, producing these effects.
- Birth control pills: These also affect the hormone levels and lead to increased facial hair.
- Obesity: Most women with facial hair are also on the heavier side, and most people have a reduction in hair once weight is managed.
Treatment: The underlying cause should be treated for controlling hair growth. If there is an inducing medication, an alternative should be looked at. While hormone levels can be altered, in most cases, not much can be done. These need to be dealt with using one of the following methods - depilatory creams, waxing, plucking, shaving, laser reduction, electrolysis, and weight loss.
When reading through the above, it is obvious that a lot of causes for hirsutism point towards hormones. This also helps identify hormonal abnormalities in the earlier stages. This helps to identify hormonal disorders in their earlier stages, which are managed with lesser complications. The next time you feel there is more hair on your chin or cheeks, get your hormone levels checked. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an endocrinologist.
When it comes to the brain and the IQ, is bigger the better? Does size really matter? Is there really a connection between the size of your brain and intelligence? With the help of findings by neurologists
and scientists, we seek to find out!
- Ailments and the Brain: Scientists have found that children with autism have a brain that has grown in a disproportionate manner in the very first year of their life. This prevents the child from making connections with normal behaviour. On the other hand, children and adolescents who suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD have shown signs of having a much smaller brain size. Many scientists have shown that the size of the brain shrinks as we age, and this does not have any visible effect on our cognitive abilities.
- It's all Relative: The size of the brain does not really have a bearing on the way a person's cognition gets shaped. Even large mammals like elephants and whales are finally hunted and tamed by humans who have smaller brains in comparison. The brain is made up of billions of neurons which need to function properly. It may be seen that scientists consider the brain mass in relation with the rest of the body so as to speculate about the cognitive abilities of the person. Why is this required? Large animals need a well functioning and proportionate brain size to control and run their organs with proper cognition for satisfactory results, which is what we humans seem to have done.
- Neanderthal Brains: Historically, the earliest man or the Neanderthals are said to have had larger brains than we do. These people are believed to have brains that are at least 10% larger than the brains that we have in our modern times. The shape of their brain was different too. They were also heavily muscled people which had a bearing on the size and shape of the brain and bodies as well as the lean tissue within the brain. They also survived very successfully for a period of over 200,000 years, which obviously points to some form of elevated cognition, as per many scientists.
- Animals: While animals with small brains like lizards and reptiles do not perform too well on IQ tests, the animals with bigger brains like elephants and dolphins perform much better. But the medium sized brains of monkeys, lemurs and other animals are said to perform in the best manner. The correlation between the body size and the brain does not seem to hold good here, as per various researches.
So the verdict as per medical science and research stands divided!