Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. ShilpaYour feedback matters!
I had a sex with my wife on 3 April but I don't know whether I used precaution or not and she period time is 28 April but she had not coming so what the reason of it if she pregnant how to check it. And if she pregnant and we don't what the baby what to do please help me.
How much chance of side effects of abortion kit and which kit is best for 18 or 17 years old girl in india.
Sometimes, the joint that connects the big toe to the feet may develop an unnatural hump. This condition is known as bunions. Sometimes, it may so happen that the big toe move towards the other toes, pushing the base of the toe outward, leading to the development of bunions. There are ways, by which you treat bunions. Some of them are-
- Medication: Visiting a doctor is the most prudent step to take in case you are suffering from bunions. The inflammation and the swelling that accompany bunions can be initially treated by medicines and pain relievers.
- Heating pad: Heating pad generally treats and manages pain by applying heat on the affected areas. In the case of bunions, heating pad has emerged as an effective way to deal with bunions.
- Ice pack: Working on a principle, which is the very reverse of heating pad, ice packs uses refrigerant gel or cold water to treat injuries.
- Wearing the shoe of the right size: Bunions are generally the result of wearing ill-fitting shoes. Therefore, one of the easiest way to deal with it would probably be wearing the right size.
- Bunion pads: At the initial stages, a bunion can be treated by wearing a bunion pad. This will help to realign the toe that had deviated as well as reduce the ensuing pain.
- Foot exercises: Exercises have always proved to be an efficient way in dealing with various physical deformities, and a bunion is no different. Few foot exercises can work wonders in treating bunions.
- Surgery: This is used in the case of extreme situations. When the condition persists, then the intervention of a surgery becomes important to realign the affected toe.
Hello, I am married few months ago. I and my husband stayed in 2 different countries after marriage, so there was no physical relationship. Now we are together and I am not ready for kids now as I want to spend some time with him, where as my husband is against using any precautions. And he has an opinion of following the natural process. I do not want more time but, to spend at least 3-4 months before planning for a baby. Please suggest the precautions I can take!
Hi if I am 2 weeks pregnant and not even tested pregnancy .if masturbated during 2 nd week affects the chance of pregnancy? whether it leads to miscarriage.
Foods that you must eat to gear up your metabolism and they will help you lose weight:
- Protein rich foods: Protein rich foods, such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds, could help increase your metabolism for a few hours. They do so by requiring your body to use more energy to digest them. This is known as the thermic effect of food (TEF). The TEF refers to the number of calories needed by your body to digest, absorb and process the nutrients in your meals. Research shows that protein-rich foods increase TEF the most. Protein-rich diets also reduce the drop in metabolism often seen during weight loss by helping your body hold on to its muscle mass. What’s more, protein may also help keep you fuller for longer, which can prevent overeating.
- Iron, zinc and selenium rich foods: Iron, zinc and selenium each play different but equally important roles in the proper function of your body. However, they do have one thing in common: all three are required for the proper function of your thyroid gland, which regulates your metabolism. Research shows that a diet too low in iron, zinc or selenium may reduce the ability of your thyroid gland to produce sufficient amounts of hormones. This can slow down your metabolism. To help your thyroid function to the best of its ability, include zinc, selenium and iron rich foods like meat, legumes, nuts and seeds in your daily menu.
- Chilli peppers: Capsaicin, a chemical found in Chilli peppers, may boost your metabolism by increasing the number of calories and fat you burn. Capsaicin may have appetite-reducing properties.
- Coffee: Studies report that the caffeine found in coffee can help increase metabolic rate by up to 11%. Furthermore, caffeine may also help your body burn fat for energy and seems especially effective at boosting your workout performance. However, its effects seem to vary from person to person, based on individual characteristics such as body weight and age.
- Tea: According to research, the combination of caffeine and catechins that’s found in tea may work to boost your metabolism. In particular, both oolong and green tea may increase metabolism by 4–10%. This could add up to burning an extra 100 calories per day. In addition, oolong and green teas may help your body use stored fat for energy more effectively, increasing your fat-burning ability by up to 17%. Nevertheless, as is the case with coffee, effects may vary from person to person.
- Legumes and pulses: Legumes and pulses, such as lentils, peas, chickpeas, beans and peanuts, are particularly high in protein compared to other plant foods. Studies suggest that their high protein content requires your body to burn a greater number of calories to digest them, compared to lower-protein foods. Legumes also contain a good amount of dietary fiber, such as resistant starch and soluble fiber, which your body can use to feed the good bacteria living in your intestines. Legumes are also high in arginine, an amino acid that may increase the amount of carbs and fat your body can burn for energy. In addition, peas and lentils also contain substantial amounts of the amino acid glutamine, which may help increase the number of calories burned during digestion.
- Metabolism boosting spices: Certain spices are thought to have particularly beneficial metabolism-boosting properties. For instance, research shows that dissolving 2 grams of ginger powder in hot water and drinking it with a meal may help you burn up to 43 more calories than drinking hot water alone. This hot ginger drink also seems to decrease levels of hunger and enhance feelings of satiety. Similarly, adding cayenne pepper to your meal may increase the amount of fat your body burns for energy, especially following a high-fat meal. However, this fat-burning effect may only apply to people unaccustomed to consuming spicy foods.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar may increase your metabolism. In one study, mice given vinegar experienced an increase in the AMPK enzyme, which prompts the body to decrease fat storage and increase fat burning. In another study, obese rats treated with vinegar experienced an increase in the expression of certain genes, leading to reduced liver fat and belly fat storage. Apple cider vinegar help you lose weight in other ways, such as slowing stomach emptying and enhancing feelings of fullness. If you’d like to give apple cider vinegar a try, be careful to limit your daily consumption to two tablespoons (30 ml).
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is experiencing a surge in popularity. That may be partly because coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). This is contrary to most other types of fats, which usually contain higher amounts of long-chain fatty acids. Unlike long-chain fats, once MCTs are absorbed, they go directly to the liver to be turned into energy. This makes them less likely to be stored as fat. In addition, researchers report that a daily intake of 30 ml of coconut oil may successfully reduce waist size in obese individuals.
- Water: Drinking enough water is a great way to stay hydrated. Additionally, it seems that drinking water may also temporarily boost metabolism by 24–30%. About 40% of that increase may come from your body trying to match the water’s temperature to its own. Yet, the effects only seem to last for 60–90 minutes after drinking it and may vary from one person to another. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
My friend had unprotected sex with her boyfriend on 27th August and she took ipill (ecp) after 7 hours of intercourse. After 4 days I.e. On 1 september she started bleeding which continued till 4th September. Then she did home 4 urine pregnancy test after 21 days of intercourse, 28 days, 35 days and 42 days of intercourse. All the test came NEGATIVE. She did a beta hcg test on 18th October which was 51 days after intercourse. The result was <1.2miU/mL. Then after 5 days i.e. On 23 October she started bleeding which continued till 29th October. Last month also she bleed from 23 November to 29th November. Now I read on the internet that there is some breakthrough bleeding. So is it the same bleeding or actual periods?
What necessary food and other take care my wife where she is delivered normal baby yesterday on 3rd may'16. Please give me advice.
Hello doc, We have 3 childrens one is normal delivery and two are with operation delivery after 3rd delivery my wife closed birth option because 3rd delivery was very critical and she nearly goes in death but thnk god she save that's why we closed birth option but now after 3 years we want again baby and we are planning to reopen birth option so is it safe to reopen. If not then can you give other procedure like getting my wife physically fitted and ready her for our 4th baby? We really want baby with our own semen not from other like step mother etc please
In first trimester of pregnancy if sex done normally without any stress in the vagina and womb, is harmful to the pregnant lady, sperm released from penis are harmful to fetus or not. If the pregnant lady feels comfort we can continue regular sex or not.
I am 28 yrs old. I have missed period since 8 days and pregnancy test was found negative. What to do in order to have positive pregnancy?
Hi I am married for two years. One month back we started to have intercourse. Till then we were not active. But now I am not very interested in intercourse. My husband keeps complaining. Let me know you opinion on this.
I am a 23 years old girl. I missed my period by a week, I suspect pregnancy. Please suggest me an oral medicine for abortion. Kindly assist.
My menstruation cycle is normal, but using tampons (I use Whisper) on my last days of the cycle gives me problems. The sides of my vagina starts itching. I try to not scratch the area, but the itch still lasts for a day or two. What should I do to recover from that?
Bringing a baby in this world, is the most exhilarating moment in most women's lives. Yet, post pregnancy days are filled with insecurities and uncertainties. Sleepless nights, stretch marks, healing uterus and an unappealing body. So unless you are shilpa shetty or malaika arora khan, most new mothers suffer from figure issues after giving birth to their child.
In fact the issue of maintaining the personality, is quite real regardless of what men say to their women. According to a yummy mummy survey over 90 percent of new and expecting fathers agree that they want their wives to look the way she used to look before the pregnancy.
This article talks in detail about the body and mind issues of new mothers and ways to deal with them, based on knowledge shared by expert indian gynaecologists on popular daily newspapers.
1) what's the fuss about yummy mummy?
A yummy mummy is someone who is confident of herself, is comfortable with her body and her personality. A yummy mummy is a mother who takes care of her body and her mind. She exercises regularly, is particular about her fitness level and exudes confidence.
2) body issues that a new mother needs to accept:
A woman will gain a certain amount of weight during pregnancy to include the weight of the baby, the placenta, the amniotic fluid, the enlarged womb, an increased blood volume, plus enlarged breasts and other fluid retention, commonly noticed as swollen ankles. Additionally a pregnant woman will store a certain amount of fat to help nourish her child during breast feeding. Women are expected to gain between 11-15 kgs during a normal pregnancy. Approximately 2-3kgs of this weight is designed to remain after the birth, to provide a fat source for breast milk. The remaining weight gain will either disappear immediately, the baby, placenta etc. Or resolve over time as the uterus contracts and the body returns to normal fluid levels. The concept of" eating for two" can however cause some women to gain more weight than just normal pregnancy weight. You may well look down at your body in the months after having a baby and wonder if it's ever going to look the same again.
Another worry that every pregnant woman has is about stretch marks and wondering if they are ever going to go. For this, it is advisable to try and minimize stretch marks during pregnancy by regularly applying moisturizers and oils which contain vitamin e, lavender, calendula and rosemary. The same can be used after pregnancy also on the abdomen and breast to reduce stretch marks.
3) diet essentials for a pregnant and new mother:
Eating healthy is of utmost importance for a pregnant and a new mother. A good balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is a must in a pregnant and new mother's diet. Extra milk and curd should be had to increase the intake of calcium. Women should avoid excessive intake of salty, spicy and deep fried foods. It is advisable that they avoid cake, sweets and ice creams altogether as the women are in a state of semi diabetes because the placental hormones are anti -insulin. In addition, women should have a lot of fruits, vegetables and nuts in their diets.
4) what are the ways a new mother can ensure her pre-pregnancy shape after delivery?
Exercising is important to get back to shape but what is more, is doing the right kind of exercise.
-- the pelvic floor (the hammock-like layer of muscles that support the bladder, uterus, and bowel). If you were good, you'll have done your pelvic floor exercises during pregnancy. If not, don't let that stop you from starting now - they're all-important in the battle to keep leaky bladders at bay and, as an added bonus, can help to improve satisfaction during sex!
-- you can also make a start on the long, slow process of getting your tummy muscles back in shape by softly pulling them in whenever you get the chance. (if you're not sure how, imagine drawing your tummy in towards your spine.) hold for a few seconds, breathing all the while, and then release. Do this as many times a day as you can fit in. (it's also a good idea to hold in your tummy this way when you bend over or lift anything: it will help to support your back and so help to ease or prevent back pain, a common problem after birth.) you could also squeeze in a few pelvic tilts when you find yourself with a free moment: stand with your back to a wall, slide a hand into the gap between your lower back and the wall and use your tummy muscles to tilt your pelvis backwards. Hold for a little while before releasing. You'll know you're doing it right if you can feel your lower back pushing against your hand.
-- gentle walking is also okay in the early weeks
-- power walking: an ideal way for new mums to exercise as it can be fitted into a normal day.
-- pilates or yoga: these are great for improving strength and flexibility, but you'll still need to raise your heartbeat with some sort of aerobic exercise couple of times a week.
- swimming, or aquarobics: a perfect all-round exercise - it will increase your heart rate but as the water offers you support, has minimal risk of injury. It's also good for firming up post-baby breasts
5) how much should a mother wait after a c-sec before resuming workout?
Whether it's a c- sec or normal delivery, no strenuous workout should be done for at least 40 days or 6 weeks after delivery. It takes 40 days for the large uterus to involute back to its small pre pregnant state. Exercise during this period would strain the ligaments and cause back ache. It may also predispose the uterus to prolapse after menopause during weakened ligaments that support the uterus. In addition, after a c-sec, the abdominal muscles and ligaments need to heal well, so active workout is recommended only after 3 months.
6) what are the dos and don'ts of the first 3-6 months after delivery for workout/diet?
After 3-6 months, all forms of exercise are permissible, however, during breast feeding, lifting weights and push- ups should be restricted. Breast feeding mothers require extra calories and nutritious food and diet. Diet foods or low calories diets are recommended. A good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats along with extra milk and fruits are a must. Breast feeding itself is a great calorie burner and helps the mother to lose weight and regain her pre pregnant figure within 6 months of delivery.
7) how many post-partum depression cases do you get on an average?
70 % of women experience mild baby blues for about 1-2 weeks due to placental hormones leaving the body. The post- partum depression is a bit rarer. The signs and symptoms are more severe and last longer.
The symptoms may include:
Depressed mood/ severe mood swings
Difficulty in bonding with the baby
Withdrawing from family and friends
Loss of appetite or eating too much
Inability to sleep/ insomnia
Fatigue and loss of energy
Intense irritability and anger
Feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy
Severe anxiety and panic attacks
Thoughts of suicide ad harming the baby
Very severe post -partum depression may lead to psychosis. These patients do require help in the form of counseling and medication.
8) how can a mother avoid succumbing to depression?
Women should attend pre-natal classes, which prepare them for labor delivery and breast feeding during pregnancy. After birth, the mother should
Accept help from family and friends
Connect with new mothers
Always take time to take care of themselves
Avoid alcohol and medicines that cause depression
All said and done, it is very important that dads support new mothers to regain their lost shape, without hampering their confidence.
Post pregnancy, a woman is very stressed- she is worried about the baby and herself and is very busy taking care of the two. Being a mother can be very taxing and there are a few simple things that fathers can do.
Things dads can do with the baby:
Take baby out for a walk so mum can have some quiet time.
Feed the baby in the middle of the night or bring the baby to mum if breastfeeding. He could also help the baby feed if there is expressed breastmilk or feed the baby in the morning so mum can get some extra sleep.
Help to look after older children so that mum can adjust to life with a newborn again.
Make sure you learn how to bathe the baby and change nappies.
Things dads can do for mum:
Make mum any meals, e. G. Breakfast in the morning before going to work.
Tell her she's doing a great job and that you are proud of her and how much you love her.
No pressure for sexual acts - intimacy will return again soon.
Let her de-brief / talk about the labour and birth as many times as necessary, without getting annoyed. Being a good listener is important.
Tell her that it doesn't matter if the home is messier than usual and help to do a bit of tidying.
Let her cry or be emotional without trying to'fix' her - simply comfort her.
Husband's support makes a huge difference in the new mother experience of every woman and only makes him happier in return!
If you have any gynae / pregnancy concerns, feel free to consult me privately by clicking on'consult' button below.
Dr sangita malhotra