Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shefali PandeyYour feedback matters!
Hymenoplasty is also known as hymen surgery. It is a surgical procedure where the hymen within the vagina is restored. The Hymen is a membrane covering the vaginal opening, which can be torn when a woman engages in coitus for the first time or it could be damaged due to other factors such as heavy lifting, exercise, cycling, swimming among many other activities. Hymenoplasty involves putting back the hymen’s torn edges to make it look like the hymen is intact.
Why do women want hymen reconstruction?
A woman would want a hymen reconstruction surgery for a number of reasons. They are:
- Religious reasons: In certain cultures, a woman’s hymen is inspected to make sure she has not engaged in coitus in the past. Virginity is valued highly is such places and if the woman is not a virgin, she may have to face social or even legal ramifications.
- In case of rape or sexual assault victims: In some cases, a rape victim may undergo this surgery to empower herself and feel mentally peaceful.
- Hymen related injuries: Certain factors like heavy exercise or sexual intercourse can cause rupture of the hymen which may cause bleeding, infections or other complications. A woman may want to rectify this with the help of this surgery.
The entire surgical process lasts for about 45-60 minutes. The surgery is carried out in an outpatient setting under general anesthesia. The torn skin membranes are rejoined using dissolvable stitches so that scaring is minimal.
This procedure can be carried out in three ways
1. Joining the torn edges with stitches.
2. An artificial membrane is placed in the area whose function is to behave as an artificial hymen. This hymen however, does not have any blood supply, so a capsule that contains blood can be placed with it.
3. A flap is taken from the vaginal lining, which is used to create a functional hymen with proper blood supply.
4. You can return to your work in about 2-3 days after the surgery. However, the entire healing process takes around two months.
The procedure caries some risks that you should be aware of, they are -
1. Bleeding: Some bleeding is normal after the procedure, but any prolonged case of bleeding may indicate a complication.
2. Infection: Like all surgeries, you may have infections in the concerned area. The doctor may prescribe antibiotics to deal with these infections.
3. Narrowing of the vaginal opening: In some cases, the vaginal opening can become narrow after the procedure. This however, can be resolved without the need for any treatment as it may become wider on its own over time. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
My monthly cycle date is 29 it was regular but very next week on Wednesday I get periods. It's start like irregular only the stomach back pain but after 3 days its started as regular bleeding but now its going to be 2 weeks now but still having bleeding no pain flow also down as compare to but I am worried why this was not stop at 5 day. I am having thyroid so taking tyronorms 75mgm before periods it was 50mgm but doctor increase the dosage. Should I need to consult thyroid doctor for this. Please help me.
Sir/mam please tell me how to reduce pain on first sex time. Is this very painful or not.Please tell.
How many times doing sex healthy in a month and what precautions should we follow for being pregnant?
Hi Dr. I am pregnant completed 12 weeks but my weight is not increasing. It was 70 1 and half month before n still it is same is there will be any problem or how it will increase n what is ratio of increasing weight? Please help I am worried.a
It is the self-stimulation of the genitals to achieve sexual arousal to the point of climax.Some women also use stimulation of the vagina to masturbate or use 'sex toys' such as Vibrator.
Masturbation is a very common behaviour,even in people who have sexual relations with a partner.In one study ,95%of the men and 89%of the females reported positively.In young children,it is a normal part of a growing child's exploration of his or her body.
Masturbation is a safe sexual alternative for people who wish to avoid pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases.
It is also necessary when a man must give the semen sample for infertility test or sperm donation.
While it was once regarded as a perversion and sign of a mental problem, masturbation is now considered a normal healthy sexual activity.
Masturbation is regarded a problem if it inhibits sexual activity due to guilt complex ,with a partner, is done in public and causes sufficient distress to the person
It may cause distress if it is done compulsively and?or interferes with daily chores.
We loved each other for 3 yrs. 1 year lot of quarrel & misunderstanding and then We married last year in june15. She was from chennai. Took her to bangalore with me. She is not interested in intercourse now. She is avoiding with some reasons like not interested. Take me out I do not like this place & family. But she was interested in sex 3 years before. Can you suggest me some medicine to indulge feelings in her and make interested in sex.
My Age 38 diabetic patient. Wants to conceive baby. I have 8 years old daughter. One year ago I have miscarriage. 8 week pregnancy. So what you have to suggest me.
I'm a 18 years old teenage. I get my periods more than one time in a month. It's extremely painful. What should I do?
Sir actually I am gonna monthly periods on 9 July but only for 3 days in previous months it will take 5 day orr 7 day but in this month only for three days my age is 28.
Post-pregnancy weight can be difficult to get rid of. It is a gradual process and often takes time. Experts are of the view that hormonal imbalance and a sudden increase in the diet are the major cause of the additional weight. This being said, shedding weight is possible if a consistent effort is made on a daily basis. Here is a list of hat tips to get you started:
- Walk every day: Walking 5 minutes a day does the world of good in the endeavor of shedding weight. Post the 6-week check-up after the arrival of the baby, the duration of walking can be increased. Brisk walking for half an hour can help the body to weight as much as 300 calories a day.
- Weight training- Weight training is one of the best forms of exercise to lose weight quickly. If hitting a gym is a problem, a personal trainer can be hired for working out. Certain exercises such as lifting small weights, doing lunges is a good way to start.
- Breastfeed: Breastfeeding for a time duration of 30-45 minutes (about3-4 times a day) helps to lose 600-800 calories per day. Some women even report of shedding all their extra weight just through breastfeeding. This is by far the easiest way of losing weight.
- Say no to calories- Calories, by all means, will have to be avoided. Certain fast food items such as soda, chocolate, and chips should not be consumed at all. Instead, meals rich in nutrient, fresh vegetable, fruits, whole grains etc. should be consumed on a daily basis.
- Frequent meals- 2 to 3 heavy meals a day are detrimental to a person trying to shed weight. Frequent meals, on the other hand, maintain a steady blood sugar level, reduce the tendency of over-eating and do not let fat store in the body.
- Frequent naps- Studies show that frequent naps can help a great deal of weight. It reduces the craving of eating food with high calorie. It also revitalizes the metabolism and refrains a person from long term self-deprivation. Naps will also help to gather enough energy to perform other physical activities.
- Healthy snacks- Home-made snacks containing whole wheat, low-fat milk and yogurt are good snack options for post pregnancy weight loss. These snacks block hormones that are responsible for storage of fat in the body.
- Yoga or meditation- Yoga has proved to be extremely effective for women trying to shed post-pregnancy weight. It especially helps in toning down the fat in the upper and lower abdomen which is extremely difficult to get rid of. Yoga also relaxes the mind and helps to focus more.
- Consumption of warm water- Drinking warm water after every meal serves two purposes.
- It doesn’t let the fat store inside the body.
- It helps in better digestion. It has to be ensured that the water is mildly warm and drinkable.
- Avoid stress- Nurturing a baby is exhausting enough. Stress on top of this can be disastrous. It leads to depression resulting into junk eating. It has to be ensured that stress is avoided by engaging in activities such as cooking, painting or listening to music. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.