Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Shefali BatraYour feedback matters!
I'm 25 year old male I've been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia now I'm fine but sometimes I get so depressed thinking about my past about my ex girlfriend ,now I don't trust anyone and I'm unable to sleep in nights what should I do?
I want to share an incident to know whether I need to consult any doctor or not. 2 days ago I was travelling in train but as my station arrived I got down but I forget that I have a bag .i left that in train. Similarly I forget many important things. My mind is always lost in random thoughts. I want piece of mind. My mind does not work nowadays. I currently work for a company .I used to be always in tension. I do not like anything. When someone is talking to me I used to avoid. I do not like to call anyone. I do not like to be in groups. Kindly consult me.
My mother is having problem of depression. What ideal food items should be consumed and type of diet to be followed.
I am 58, in service and therefore have tremendous pressure in my mind what should i do to relax free my mind ?
I am a 23 year old female. I am going through mood swings. Acc to my partner he feels I shld visit a psychiatrist. I always talk logically but people find my fault and then finally I end up being alone and lonely. And end up crying. M totally die hearted and now I really need help.
My wife, aged about 46 years is an epileptic and has been taking allopathic medicines for the last 20 years. Recently she has been complaining that she is feeling burning sensation/pain while passing urine. Can any doctor suggest some good homeo remedy for cure without interfering with her regular medicines.
You asked: I am 18 year old, female. I have been suffering from stammering since childhood and normally with my family and other people I speak normally and hardly stutter but in public places when I am in situation such as in interviews, presentation etc I am hardly able to speak and sometimes the situation gets worse as I make faces while speaking and my stomach also squeezes. Go out of breath. So recently I was thinking to join a public speaking course or should I see speech therapist but I am confused as will it help me to improve?
Conversion disorder is a psychological disorder in which psychological conflicts get converted into physical symptoms.
The disease is also referred to as a functional neurological symptom disorder. In most cases, this disorder has an impact on your ability to move, your senses, vision, hearing capacity and ability to swallow.
The main cause behind the onset of a conversion disorder is generally a sudden traumatic event (real or imagined). This may also happen due to an emotional conflict or any other mental health disorder, which directly or indirectly affects your brain in an undesirable manner.
Though the exact factors which cause the disease are still unknown, it has been proved by medical researchers that the disorder affects that part of the brain which controls the majority of the senses, muscles, and nerves.
The symptoms of this condition may usually appear immediately after a traumatic event, be it physical or psychological. Some of the most common symptoms of this disorder are listed below.
- Weakness or paralysis of a body part
- Loss of body balance
- Moments of unresponsiveness
- Abnormal, sudden and abrupt body movements such as tremors
- Swallowing problems such as lump in the throat
Some of the symptoms of this disorder might also affect the sensory organs, which include:
- Abnormal numbness of the body
- Speech related problems or inability to speak (psychological mutism)
- Vision related problems such as psychological blindness
- Hearing problems and difficulties
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.
The major symptoms of PTSD are:
- Reliving the traumatic experience over and over again; this leads to severe and long-term mental distress.
- Recurring dreams about the events.
- Provocation of traumatic thoughts by the slightest event that causes distress to the individual.
- Avoiding memories and thoughts that might remind them of the event.
- Developing a negative view of themselves and the world.
- Developing social or specific phobias.
- Medication and antidepressants: Medicines such as paroxetine, sertraline and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) help the individual address insomnia related problems that occur due to PTSD and suppress nightmares.
- Psychotherapy: This form of therapy is used to cure both mental health conditions (such as obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression) as well as emotional problems that result from PTSD. Skilled mental health experts are needed for this form of treatment to be administered. They would listen to each individual patiently and provide effective strategies to give solutions to the problems. Some of these therapies are:
- Cognitive Behavioural therapy: This therapy enables the individual to adapt to changes and recognize thought patterns which lead to irrational and negative behaviour and actions.
- Exposure therapy: This therapy causes the affected individual to first become anxious by exposing him/her to the traumatic memories, situations and objects by simulating them. The therapy helps the person to overcome his/her fears and become comfortable in the same environment that had previously caused fear and anxiety.
- Group therapy: This popular and effective form of therapy allows the individual to share his/her feelings, fears and thoughts with a group of people who have themselves experienced similar trauma in their lives. Sharing such experiences helps reduces stress levels.
Some Self-Help and Coping Tips include:
- Avoiding situations that cause PTSD can worsen the condition. Hence, the individual should try to embrace and face such situations boldly.
- PTSD can result in loss of motivation and stress. Try utilizing your time in socialising, indulging in certain or even exercising for that matter.
- Taking some time out to relax and having fun is very important. This calms the body and mind, thereby improving one’s mood.
My memory power has been too week, I forget every small and big things and I could not concentrate my mind also after trying too much. Please help me.
Hello, from tomorrow my paper will start and I am forgetting all I have learnt please give a list of food that can help me to get out of it.
I am suffering from a bit tension because of which I am not able to understand what to do so how to release tension or stress?
I have anxiety disorder. I am taking medicine also but it always haunt me. I always keep thinking that I have this problem. What should I do.
My girl friend is not like before when it come to sexual activities it's been close to a year v kissed each other I really wanna knw whats goin on and y is she not showing any interest in me. Every time I ask her anything all she tells me is she is very stressed to think abt all this.
My brother is depressed due to its previous decision that he taken in his life. He has become negative. please suggest me some perception.
I have got an anxiety of being suffer from rabbies. I read about it a lot in internet. Every morning I woke up fearing from fear of water. Every moment I spent thinking what would happen if I get rabbies' and this kind of thought .How could I get relief? actually I touch saliva of nilgai in a zoo. No open wound must'nt present on my hand at that time. But not able to convince myself.
I am 23 year old male. My blood pressure stays at (130-135/80-85) normally. Whenever I eat burgers or fast food, or something oily or even a slight over eat of home food, I sweat a lot. I also get a little pain under my armpit and left side of my heart, which sometimes radiates to my arms. This pain improves by time as I settle down. Also I often suffer from claustrophobia while travelling in metros or lifts. Also 6 months prior I got my cholesterol check up with LDL= 152.1 and TSH=5.9. I am 85 kgs and a student with no exercise on my hands. Is my problem by anyhow related to heart or is it just anxiety? Please suggest remedies, as I am a little worried now. This thing has taken a toll on me from the past 6-7 months.
Prepare yourself- GET READY mentally and physically.
Make sure you are healthy and normally developed.
Seek premarital counselling session from an expert sexologist. Do the investigations if necessary.
Learn about your body and your partner. Share your ideas about hygiene and mend your ways.
Get well acquainted. Develop a rapport with your partner.
Whether an arranged or a love marriage; good communication, sharing your sexual fantasies, body image, expectations in life, health issues is a must. Many people think putting out their best foot is essential to impress a would-be partner. But in time you will realise HONESTY is the most attractive quality in a spouse.
Do not commit to a relationship until you are absolutely sure of what you want. If you are anxious about your sexuality, do not rush in anything. Also separate any feelings of guilt attached to your sexual being.
Interpersonal comfort is very essential in a couple’s life. Find what you like the most about each other and appreciate your partner frequently. You can begin with the “likes” and then point to minor “dislikes” in that order!. That minimizes the impact and hurt caused by criticism. Remember criticism is a part of good communication and both partners should be mature enough to take it lightly.
Wish you happy life !