Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Procedure
Treatment of Lumpectomy
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Kidney Stones Treatment
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Accident Injuries Treatment
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Prostate Laser Surgery
Urinary Incontinence Surgery
Stem Cell Transplant
Post Induction Therapy
Post Induction Transplant
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sharad Ratilal MehtaYour feedback matters!
How to get rid of pores on the face. After pimples I have started getting pores. Which looks like small holes on my face.
My skin is oily and due to sun my skin is black so how to my skin fair and solution of oily skin permanently?
I have few dark spots/scar on my face, aftereffect of pimple/RF treatment. Can anyone suggest any specific brand or type of serum that I can use to remove the dark spots and also for skin whitening.
Hi doctors, My Question is more Pimples on my face also more oily face I have to wash my face more than 6 times in a day I have tried more face wash to resolve this problem please give me right solution to solve this problem. Due to this problem I feel very insecure I am not visiting my family functions please give me right solution to my problem Thanking you.
I am 31 years old where in my face lots of dark black spots and pimples and also very oily skin Please suggest how to remove scars and spot.
My skin is dry and my hands are so much tan upto the half sleeves which is looking two dark n light colors I used so many sun screen lotion but nothing is working so please tell me how to get a evwn tone on my skin which us looking weird not gud looking for my personality.
Causes of skin discoloration and its types
Skin discoloration is a condition where the overall color of skin appears patchy and uneven. This generally takes the form of dark spots, blotchiness, jagged sunburns, etc. It is caused due to unequal distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for imparting color to the skin.
Melanin is produced by the melanocyte cells in the epidermis layer of the skin. This pigment plays a protective role in the skin, particularly when it comes to defense against sun damage. Production of melanin is generally uniform through the skin but sometimes, various anomalies cause some parts of the skin to produce excess melanin whereas others may produce none at all. This leads to discoloration of the skin, making the appearance of skin tone irregular and non-uniform.
What are the different types of skin discoloration?
There are various types of skin discoloration which are caused by different medical and nonmedical conditions.
Some of them are as follows:
- Melasma. This type of skin discoloration occurs due to fluctuations in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This condition is found most commonly in pregnant women.
- Vitiligo. This is a medical condition which is caused when melanocyte cells cease to function or die. It manifests itself in the form of white patches that appear on the skin.
- Sunburns and Tans. These appear on the skin in the form of dark patches, uneven splotches and burns. It is caused by unprotected and prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Tinea Versicolor. This type of skin discoloration is caused by a fungal infection that makes skin appear dull and flaky in patches. It occurs due to hormone level fluctuations or a malfunction in the immune system.
- Skin Cancer. When the skin gets affected by melanomas and carcinomas, it appears discolored. This type of discoloration changes shape, size and texture and requires the immediate attention of a specialist.
- Other causes of skin discoloration include genetic inheritance, allergic reactions and drug reactions. The diagnosis of treatment depends on the exact nature of the condition and varies from case to case.
Related Tip: Can Use of Sunscreen Reduce Skin's Aging?