Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shailesh GuptaYour feedback matters!
Hello Drs. My 6 and half year old younger daughter is still unable to understand the normal life. As per blood test and all she used medicines like SOMAZINA, LEVIPIL, ATTENTROL AND SYP BRAINWISE ETC., FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS, PHYSICALLY SHE SO CUTE AND NOBODY CAN IMAGINE THAT SHE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND. SHE ONLY SPEAKS MUMMY, PAPA NANNI LIKE THAT. SPEECH THERAPY ALSO DONE FOR ONE AND HALF YEARS BUT NOT SATISFIED RESULT. DR TOLD SHE WAS ATTACKED BY RUBELA VIRUS. MY QUESTION IS VERY SIMPLE , THAT CAN SHE SPEAK AND CAN LIVE LIKE A NORMAL KIDS? PLS ADVISE
My son is 4 months old having dandruff I am using aveeno baby shampoo but no use. It was like a layer and round patch. Please suggest.
My younger daughter is 2 year and 3 months old. She is having tight stool problem. She cries in pain when she goes after the gap of 4-5 days. Please suggest.
Try variety of foods as by this age increasing the variety the appetite/palatability improves.Add ghee generously if tolerated to increase the calorie value of diet.In compare to protein and carbohydrate calorie value of fat is thrice.
Give at least one katori serving at a time of- mashed roti/bread/biscuit mixed in sweetened undiluted milk or mashed roti/rice/bread/dosa mixed with thick dal with added ghee/oil or khichadi with added ghee.Add cooked vegetables in the servings.You can also give dalia/suji ka halwa/kheer prepared in milk or any cereal porridge cooked in milk.You can give mashed boiled potato also.
Give banana,papaya,cheeko,mango to meet the vitamin's requirement.
Give these servings 3 times per day. Feed the baby in your lap with your hands.Don't force.If needed give small amount and increase the frequency of feeds.
Hello doctor, my baby z 27 days old n he z cryng continuously at midnight. BUMS doc suggest me to give cyclopam drops wen he z cryng .is it ok to give d syrup? Suggest me.
Children might vomit after meals due to various causes. While they may not be life threatening or potentially harmful to the child, getting to the bottom of the problem to deal with it is better, so as to prevent it from becoming a chronic problem is definitely vital.
Listed below are some of the most common reasons children might throw up:
- Gastroenteritis: This may be virus, bacteria and parasite induced. The best way to deal with it is to eat clean food and wash hands with an antiseptic soap prior to each meal. It is usually seen in combination with diarrhoea.
- Allergies: Some children who throw up might do so as it is allergy induced. To diagnose the cause of food induced vomiting, the allergens must be noticed as soon as possible as there might be more than one food ingredient causing the reaction in the child. Each time the child throws up, the parents must note down all the food ingredients consumed by the child. This helps the paediatrician in better diagnosing the underlying cause of vomiting. In children up to the age of 4, foods such as rice, poultry, milk and soy often act as triggers and it is called ‘food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome’ (FPIES).
- Backing up of food: Anti peristalsis or the backward movement of food along the digestive tract might happen in children for a host of reasons. The digestive tract has muscles which prevent the backward flow of food and instead, force the food downwards i.e. from mouth to anus. Due to children having weaker musculature in their digestive tract, regurgitation might be a frequent occurrence.
- Reflux: Swallowing large amounts of air while eating can make the child bloated leading to reflux. Reflux can also take place if the baby is being overfed.
If the child is frequently throwing up after meals, keeping them hydrated is of utmost importance. Unless a doctor prescribes them anti-vomiting medicines, they shouldn’t be administered to children. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
My 3 year old is sick with a temperature of 100 degrees she can not keep anything down including liquids. What should I do?
I am 25 years old. I am suffering from Respiration problems from 2010. Is there any cure for this problem. I have to take Cipla - Montair LC twice in a day. And sometimes have to take levolin capsule inhaler. I want a cure of this problem.
Is your child undergoing Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders (PIDDs)? If you are tired of seeing your child suffering with regular cold and cough which could be solely due to a lack of nutrients in the diet, resulting in low immunity of the body. Adopting healthy habits by cutting back on junk food while including healthy items will help raise your child’s immunity levels immensely.
Some of the best foods to include in the diet to increase the immunity of your child are mentioned below:
Eggs, pulses, lean meats and other healthy protein: Immunity buildup may be disrupted if there isn’t enough protein in your diet. Milk protein in cow’s milk or dairy products like butter and cheese, animal protein in lean meats such as chicken and ovo-protein in eggs are highly beneficial and raise immunity levels.
Fish for immunity build up: Fish is a great immunity builder and also helps in making the brain work more efficiently. Fish meat contains lean proteins as well as essential omega-3 acids which help properly regulate many functions within the body raising immunity.
Stay healthy with yogurt: There are a lot many flavored varieties of curd or yogurt that your child may like and which is also considered as a power food source. It helps reduce gastrointestinal illnesses. However, try and go for the less flavored ones as they would have lesser amounts of processed sugar.
Oats and Barley for your rescue: The reason why oats and barley are healthy alternatives, especially for children is because they are composed of beta-glucan (fibre containing antioxidants and antimicrobial properties). This helps in avoiding constipation thus cleaning the intestine and hence avoiding the buildup of harmful bacteria within the body.
Fruit toppings are delicious: Fruits are not limited to mangoes, apples and bananas only. Darker the color of the fruit, greater is the nutritional value. Berries, peaches, melons, pomegranates etc, can and should also be included in your fruit intake as they are healthy as well as tasty.
Vegetables can be tasty too: Growing children require leafy green vegetables for physical and mental development as they contain zinc, iron and folic acid. Foods like fenugreek leaves and spinach are an example of vitamin rich food items. You can include spinach and other vegetables in a clever manner by making the food interesting so that children would want to eat it willingly.
Carrots to fight infection: Carrots are beneficial for good eyesight and protection from infections. With carrot intake it becomes quite difficult for the bacteria and germs to ender the blood vessels. This can be made into a salad or craved figuring to make it interesting to the kids. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
Menu planning for diet of indian toddlers:
Indian diet plan for toddler
In the above given chart, the outer 6 boxes represent the different food groups. This chart will help you in planning your own menu based on your convenience and timing for your baby. Follow the following tips for planning a healthy menu for your toddler.
The trick is to simply add at least 1 item from each group through out the day. Ofcourse you can use a particular group more than 2 times too. But in order to maintain variety in terms of taste and nutrition, its important to plan from each group. Ex – you can plan for rice in the afternoon and oats in the evening menu. Both the items belong to the cereal group and are equally healthy.
Make your choices of food from the given food group more interesting for the kid. Ex – instead of feeding your baby with rice and milk every day, introduce variety. Plan for rice and curd, or lightly lemon flavored rice, mix rice with mung dal from pulses group to add protein and variety to your kids menu.
After your kid turns 15 – 16 months old, you can mix up 2 or more food groups together. Ex – oats porridge with apple. Here oats cover the cereal group, milk will cover up for protein and apple will cover the fruits group. Some kids with good digestibility can tolerate the mixed groups concept right from 12 month on wards.
Cereal group – This group includes cereals like rawa (semolina), ragi, rice, oats, wheat and its products like brown bread, wheat based biscuits. These cereals are easy to digest. Initially its best to grind the food product, or mash it well to avoid choking. Some kids take time to learn to chew.
Milk and milk products group – As the name suggests this group includes all varieties with milk. Cows milk has the best digestibility. Hence it is preferable to give you kids cow’s milk. You can later introduce him with milk products like cheese, curd, buttermilk and paneer. Cheese on brown bread is a good snacking option for your 2+ year old toddler. They relish it.
Non – vegetarian protein group – This group includes chicken, eggs and fish. I would really recommend you to start your kid a little late with fish. May be after he is 2 +. This will ensure his digestion capacity. It is not that kids do not eat fish before this age. There are individual differences and food preferences. All you need to do is ensure about your kids digestion capacity,
And allergic reactions to these foods.
Dals and pulses group – Start with easily digestible dals like mung dal. Once they are tolerated well by the kid, you can then move forward to slowly introduce her with all the other varieties of dals, and pulses. Make sure the first time you try any new pulse, it should be diluted enough. If your baby has any sign of intolerance towards these foods, like change in color of stool, hard stool or watery stool or gases or stomach ache after the intake, reintroduce the food after a week in a diluted form
Fruits and vegetables – The fruits and vegetables that are mentioned under the groups in the above info graphic diagram, can be used in any form. You can mash the fruits, make juice out of it, pressure cook the fruit for 1 whistle and then mash it (apple). Or you can hand over them as slices to your kids. So they also learn to eat on their own. You can use vegetables in soup forms or cooked vegetable form, just the way you consume it at home. Make sure you add little or no spices to the preparation. You can introduce the spices and masala for the baby after she is 2.5 + years of age.
Fats and sugars – This group is placed in the center on purpose. Although you need to use very little amount of fats and sugar for your toddler, but please do not ignore this group. Your baby really needs good fats for better digestion. Don’t forget that these little ones also require tasty foods just like us. You can add sugar or jaggery to their food preparations.
Note – You need to feed your growing toddler every 2- 3 hrs, don’t wait for them to signal for hunger. Kids get really cranky and irritated if they go without food for long. To become a smart mom, you need to set your timetable accordingly. Keep your busiest hours for their milk feeds. But do not over do milk. Excess milk feeds and no solid will make her/ him hate food. They may also get loose motions, uncontrolled bladder. They would become cranky if you don’t give them enough solids. And the kid will want to stick to you at all
Here is an indian diet plan for toddlers for your reference.
Time and menu:
- 7.00 am (after waking up): 1 glass milk + 4 soaked almonds
- 9.00 am Breakfast: Choose any 1 from the mentioned options: Rawa kheer / ragi kheer / vermicilly kheer, Soft cooked rawa upama with finely chopped carrots, Soft cooked mung dal chilla with grated carrots and finely chopped spinach, Curd with soaked poha, (add a little salt or sugar as per your kids taste), Soft dosa or idli with sambar
- 11.00 am: 2-4 slices of apple / orange / water melon /musk melon / pomogranate / papaya / 2 wheat based biscuits / ragi flakes (handful) (any seasonal fruit)
- 1.00 pm: Lunch (choose any 1 from the mentioned options)- Curd rice / dal + rice / sambar + rice / milk + rice / vegetable pulav / kadhi + rice / lemon flavored rice, Vegetable khichadi, Daliya upama (soup consistency), Vermicilly upama, Soft cooked roti or phulka with toru / bottle gourd / palak / methi / potato vegetable
- 2.30 pm: Buttermilk (optional) / ragi kanji
- 4.00 pm: Choose any 1 from thementioned options- Oats porridge with chopped apple or banana, Fruit smoothie with almond or walnut (at room temperature), Milkshakes, Hot milk with 4 biscuits, Aata laddu – 2 small, Dry fruit chikki, Sliced / boiled veggies like carrot, broccoli with curd dip, Tacos with vegetable based greek yogurt dip, Home made wheat cake piece
- 6.00 pm: Spinach soup / carrot soup / tomato soup / mix vegetable soup / corn soup (grind corn kernel in a mixer) / fruit juice during warm climate
- 8.00 pm: Dinner (choose any suitable option from breakfast or lunch menu)
- 10.00 pm: Bedtime- 1 glass milk + 4 soaked almonds
Note – The above mentioned diet plan is a general diet plan. This indian diet plan for toddlers meets the nutritional requirement of an average indian toddler. Some foods may or may not be suitable to some kids, in such a case a personalized approach is necessary.
Important tips to consider while following this indian diet plan for toddlers:
• Milk intake:
Give your toddler the regular milk when he wakes up in the morning. Give him 100 to 200 ml of milk in the morning and in case he/she is allergic to milk and milk products, you can replace milk with a whole fruit, almond milk, or soya milk. If your child has crossed 2 years of age, you may consider adding health drinks such as pediasure to his milk. Make sure to give your toddler full cream milk and he/ she requires milk energy to support his body’s functions and to grow into a powerful adult with time. In the evening, give your toddler 100-50 ml of milk depending on his preference. Yes, do value his preference as many toddlers simply hate the taste of milk. You can’t help as i’m sure many of you also hated milk in your childhood. Use your imaginations, make them tasty smoothies or milkshakes
• Water intake
A toddler’s daily water intake may typically consist of at least 5 cups of water. This includes the juices, milk, and other fluids that your toddler consumes throughout the day.
Make sure you give your toddler wholewheat or brown bread or bread that is fortified with vitamins and minerals.
• Fruits and vegetables
You may opt for cooked or pureed food. Cooked or pureed vegetables with bland flavors are the best options for toddlers. These may include vegetables such as pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, squash, carrots, and butternut. Try with mashed food items. It’s better to feed ytout toddler steamed vegetables and pulses
• Homemade food:
Today’s nuclear family setups coupled with an increase in the opportunities for women employment, time has become a scare resource for today’s families. It is always better to avoid tinned and packaged foods as they contain preservatives that may be detrimental to your child’s health. Make sure you invest some time to secure your child’s health and prepare meals at home. We are sure love will help you find that time!
• Oatmeal cereals
It is a good idea to help your child build healthy eating habits since a very young age. You may introduce oatmeal cereals at a very early stage as they are healthy breakfast options and your child is most likely to develop an acceptance for oatmeal cereals as well as other complex carbohydrates.
• Portion intake
1 tablespoon of each food: the rule of thumb. At one time, a one-year old child should be fed 1 tbsp of cooked cereal, pureed fruit, pureed cereal, cooked meat, cooked vegetable, one egg and ½ cup of milk and dairy products. On a similar line, a 2-year old child should be given 2 tablespoons of different foods at a time. And as you can already guess, 3 tablespoons of different foods at a time constitute the perfect dietary portions for a 3-year old child.
• Nutritious snacks
Your kid will eat when he/she is hungry and will stop when he/ she feels full. Sometimes, you may consider providing nutritious snacks to your kid. This does not mean that you have to put a lot of extra effort in preparing healthy snacks as a lot of healthy yet no-hassle snacks are available in the market. Prepare some finger-friendly, bit-size foods and your toddler will take the responsibility of feeding himself/ herself:
• Thinly-sliced fresh fruit
• Low-sugar breakfast cereals
• Mini muffins with whole grain crackers
• Shredded cheese
• 2-4 ounces of pure fruit juice, with one part juice being mixed with two parts of water.
• Start with pureed or strained vegetables such as green beans, squash, or carrots.
Some common mistakes that you should avoid:
• Making your child drink more than 16-24 ounces of milk per day.
• Forcing your child to eat when he/ she is not hungry.
• Allowing your child to eat sugary snacks
Don’t get in to a habit of worrying about your kid’s food. The only thing that you should observe is whether your child is gaining weight with time and whether he is remaining active throughout the day. Too much of restrictions in his/ her diet or too much of ‘çarefree’ attitude may actually harm your child’s health. Refer this indian diet plan for toddlers and enjoy your child’s meal times, be a little creative and allow him to enjoy his/ her creative side as well.
I have a child. 1year old. Thru c-section. But my pelvic muscles are not supporting properly during intercourse. Due to this my partner also not interested. please suggest something to improve my condition. As well as to improve his sexual interest. Is any surgery require to improve my situation.
My wife gave birth to boy on 4/10/2016 normal delivery. After 15 days she did tubectomy operation also. Boy health conditions also nice. Now her feeding milk also getting reduced day by day. How increase her feeding milk. Her health conditions also nice. Why there is no milk. Please give suggestion to improve her feeding milk. Thank you.
My 2years & 8 month old girl child has been coughing for few days. Her weight is 11Kg. I gave her tulsi & Honey now she is better than before. Our house is beside main road so we have some dust problem. Please suggest what to try.
My son is 2 and half years old and bite any 1 at any time can't understand problem since 2 years please suggest me something.
Hello, my aunt had a delivery last month. She didn't have enough milk to feed her baby. What should be given to a one month baby if mother's milk is not enough?
My 1 year child last 10 hours can notice khasi. So what. Can I do. I give all medicine but can't stop khasi. please help me for baby.
While siblings are the force that breathes life into any family structure, it has also been seen as a challenge of sorts to manage siblings and bring out the best in each one of them. In any family unit, there are a number of entities who need to be nurtured in a certain way to ensure that their identities are not hampered by a "one size fits all" style of parenting. Every child is different and will need to be handled differently. Besides this, there are other related challenges that will contribute to the quality of the relationships between the siblings, as well as the rivalry that they may feel towards each other when it comes to attention, achievements and varied other factors.
Read on to know the ten tips to tackle sibling rivalry:
- Make Friends before Birth: encourage your first born to connect even before the birth of the new baby by including him or her in the changes you see and feel. Planning for the new baby with your first born will also help in such cases.
- Staying positive is a big factor that will help the children in feeling confident despite their different qualities and strengths.
- Comparison is a big no no. Stay away from these kind of comparisons so that the children do not feel like they have to fight with each other for your praise.
- Time Sharing: Ensure that you divide your time well and indulge each child in his or her area of interest so that they feel like you are always there for each of them.
- Harmonious Start to the day: this will ensure that the children have a special bond at the end of the day. Make sure that they help each other and divide chores accordingly. The older siblings should be given the care giving tasks while the younger ones should be taught to obey them and play along.
- Humour them: It is a known fact that humour is the best medicine that breaks even the most tension filled atmosphere.
- Family Meetings: Hold family meetings to discuss important things and even intense fights so that everyone's needs and issues are addressed.
- Empathy: Teaching your child to empathize with others will help him or her steer clear of needless rivalry at home too.
- Ignore the Small: Let them figure out the smaller fights, yet always be there to address the bigger issues so that they know you are there for them.
- Equal Treatment: Treating them equally does not mean doing the same thing for each of them. It means giving them equal time and attention with personalized treatment to suit varied temperaments. This will also give them a lot of individual confidence which eventually kills any feelings of rivalry.