Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Shaila BoraYour feedback matters!
Which type of hearing aid we get from govt schemes it free or costly it can IIC hearing aid by govt schemes.
Having sensorineural hearing loss of mild type in rt ear and moderate type on lt side I am 66 year male and have not have much problem in hearing at distance of 4-5 ft How I can improve hearing at distance without a hearing aid.
A cochlear implant is beneficial if you are deaf or have difficulties in hearing. Cochlear implants are not hearing aids which just raise the volume of the different sounds you hear; they are surgically implanted inside your head. The implant transmits impulses straight to the auditory nerves which send the signals to the brain.
Cochlear implants can help you with sounds such as telephones, alarms or doorbells ringing. You can even understand speech or listen to music again with the help of cochlear implants.
How Cochlear Implants Work?
Cochlear implants are for adults and children with sensorineural (hearing loss caused by damage to the inner ear) hearing loss.
The device consists of two parts:
The receiver-stimulator: this part is surgically implanted under the skin.
The speech processor: this part is placed externally, behind the ear.
The receiver-stimulator is placed first, and two weeks after the procedure, the speech-processor is installed. If there are sounds around you, the microphone on the speech processor will pick them up and transform them into electrical impulses. The receiver-stimulator receives these impulses through the electrodes inside them. The electrodes then send the electrical impulses to stimulate the auditory nerves, and ultimately, the sounds picked up will reach the brain.
Advantages Of Cochlear Implants-
Some advantages of cochlear implants include:
Being able to hear at normal volumes.
Understanding speech without the need to lip-read.
Listening to and talking over the phone get easier.
Being able to hear music better after the surgery.
Picking up loud, medium and soft sounds.
Modulating your own voice gets better, so others understand you easily.
Disadvantages/Risks Associated With Cochlear Implants-
The risks of cochlear implants are common surgical after-effects such as infection, bleeding and anaesthetic side-effects. Some other complications include:
Alteration in sense of taste due to nerve injury.
Paralysis or weakness on the face due to nerve damage.
Tinnitus (Ringing in the ear).
Fluid leakage around the brain.
Device can be faulty or get infected.
Meningitis (An infection in the brain).
People Who Can Get Cochlear Implant-
You are eligible to get a cochlear implant if you have:
Profound to severe hearing loss.
Problems with the hearing aid.
A strong wish to improve your hearing.
Even children with severe hearing loss in both the ears can get a cochlear implant. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized ear-nose-throat-ent-specialist and ask a free question.
Why do I hear clicking sounds from my left knee every time I run or jump? I am just 18 and very weak so this worries me alot. What should I do?
My left ear is been paining to much whenever I sleep on left side, and also when listening to songs with earphones. But the pains lasts for just 5 to 10 minutes, but that 10 minutes pain is bit severe.
The partial or total inability to hear is known as hearing loss. It can be present at birth or develop later in life.
There are a number of factors, which may cause hearing loss:
- Age - Age is the biggest factor when it comes to the loss of hearing, and you may lose the ability to hear as you age. This condition is known as presbycusis. It becomes difficult to understand high-frequency sounds like that of a child or a woman when you get old.
- Noise - When you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it damages your ears. This leads to loss of hearing. 5% of the total population of the world is affected by noise (the degree of suffering varies). It may be a result of continuous exposure to loud music or a sudden exposure to a loud noise like an explosion or fire cracker. Even too much use of ear phones and cell phones causes damage. Prevention - Use less of cell phones, disco, fire cracker, loud speaker.
- Hereditary disorders - Hearing disorder may be inherited by the dominant or recessive genes of parents in the child.
- Trauma - Serious injuries of the head/ears may cause loss of hearing, which may be either temporary or permanent. When damage is caused to the brain, the brain fails to process the message conveyed by the ears. So even if the ears are totally functional, a person may face the problem in hearing.
- Perinatal problems - The ototoxic effects on the fetus due to excess intake of alcohol during pregnancy lead to hearing the loss in about 64% of the infants born to alcoholic mothers. Also, premature birth can be associated with hearing loss due to high risk of being exposed to noise in neonatal units.
- Diseases of ear - Specially pus discharge damages eardrum and hearing bones. Some time also damages the nerve of hearing. Do not neglect this issue. It can be easily operated and you are safe.
Knowing about the causes of hearing loss can lead you a step closer to preventing this disorder.
- Aging effect can be prevented --- by taking nerve tonics, avoiding ototoxic drugs, and avoiding noise trauma. If hearing loss has set in best is to use hearing aid prescribed by authentic person.
- Be more aware -- You should be diligent and aware of the situations, which may risk your hearing ability and should try to avoid such situations as much as possible. Limit your exposure to sources of hazardous noises like firearms, firecrackers, concerts and pubs.
- Take precautionary measures -- If your occupation calls for working at an environment of loud noises, use earplugs or earmuffs. Also, make sure that you work in a place where employers take all the necessary measures of noise control under the federal or state regulations.
- Monitor your use of gadgets --- Monitor and control the use of hearing devices, and try to reduce the use of headphones/ earphones as much as possible.
- During pregnancy -- NO to alcohol smoking and other ototoxic medicines. To prevent genetic transfer of hearing loss, one should avoid marriage in close relatives as is done in south India and mohmadden community.
- Visit the Dr. --- For proper management of hearing loss asap. hearing loss is treatable or can be taken care !!
I am 40 yrs old male suffering from loss of hearing (hearing loss due to crackers noise from oct' 2014) question is which type of medication or medicines I should use?
Hi my 8 year old daughter is having severe deafness suddenly in left ear. Consulted 2 docs and are of the view that it can' t be reversed as nerves got damaged due to unknown reasons. We checked her up 3 yrs back, all was well then. Kindly suggest a way out for the treatment. Docs say there is no way out neither need to take any medicine.
Hello doctoss koi technology aa rahe hh hearing loss ke liee jo hearing aid use kar rahee hh hearing loss ke lie (nerve weakness) ki koi medicine koi treatment koi surgery update information I am using iic oticon an phonak in left side koi eating preacautionss.
You may find out that your child is suffering from hearing loss when he is born or he may be diagnosed with the condition later in life. Hearing loss in children is commonly caused by otitis media, birth problems and on the account of certain injuries or illnesses.
Signs and symptoms
The early stage symptoms of hearing loss in children are as follows:
No reaction to extremely loud noises
No response or reaction to your voice
The child makes some sounds, which taper off
The other symptoms which follow include:
He may pull and rub his ears.
He may act cranky constantly without any proper reason.
He might stop paying attention.
Low energy levels are indicated.
He may find it hard to follow directions.
He may ask you to increase the volume of the radio or TV.
Fever and ear pain are also likely symptoms.
Early hearing loss can affect your child’s language learning skills. If the problem is diagnosed and treated soon, the problem with language can be avoided. The method of treatment depends on the cause of hearing loss in your child and the severity of hearing loss.
There are certain medicines for hearing---prescribed by your ENT Surgeon. Pleas take the point watchful waiting. Even if you have slightest doubt of hearing loss contact ENT immediately.
The primary treatment methods of hearing loss in children include the following:
Watchful waiting: Sometimes, the condition may resolve on its own and the treatment involves simple monitoring of your child for positive changes.
Medicines: There are certain medicines for hearing loss in children, which may be prescribed by your pediatrician.
Ear tubes: Ear tubes may be recommended if medicines and monitoring do not work. The tubes allow fluid to drain and help in preventing infections. A minor surgery has to be undertaken on your child for getting the ear tubes placed. This will solve the hearing loss and other related issues.
Hearing aids: Hearing aids may be used to allow your child hear better. It is safe for children to use ear tubes after the age of one month. For the right hearing aid for your child, you need to consult a hearing specialist.
Implants: Cochlear implants are used to treat hearing loss in many children. These are electronic devices which are put in the inner ear to benefit hearing. These should be used only if hearing aids did not succeed and these are meant to be used only in case of children with serious hearing problems.
There are several other devices, which can help your child with hearing loss. For suggestions and recommendations, you must take your child to a hearing specialist.
I'm working out for 2 years, now I'm looking forward to take whey protein powders as supplements, please suggest me a complete diet chart and the supplement which is to be taken, how much in quantity, for how long, which variant etc, I'll grateful to hear from you, thank you.
Hi I'm 18 year old but my weight is 45 kg. I'm very thin and weak. Can you suggest me how I'm develop my body growth as a normal person. Hope you have understand my problem and give it solution. Thanks to listen me.
I am having an unbearable head ache from these two days. Also I have a small hard guilty type hard eruption in my back neck just below the head and also I have a senso neural hearing loss.
Hi, my mother is 42, year old she had pain in her joint specially in foot and back what should be done for curing this and tell about the medicines which should be taken. Thank you for listening me. And please reply as early as possible.
Sir, I would like a help from you. My small daughter is 7 yrs old, she is facing listening problem. When we call her slowly, she can't listen well. So we have to speak loudly to call him. This is since last 5 months. Kindly consult me. What should I do for her
My kid is of 8 yrs old we had bera test and found 100% loss of hearing impairment in left ear. Please suggest what should we do further.
I am 45 years old primary school teacher. I have nerve related hearing problem hereditary in origin. Now the problem is seriously affected my personal life. I want to fix a completely invisible hearing aid. How much it will cost? Do it solve my problem. Do it need daily care. . Please give me the valuable guidance. Thanking you.
Hearing is one of the five senses that you or anyone else relies on for communication and a whole host of other things. Among the five senses, touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight, it is often hearing, which is the most easily affected. You don't have to be a senior citizen to experience hearing loss as it is quite common among younger people as well. This problem is also getting widespread with each passing day.
Before coping with hearing loss, the first job is to detect it:
If you have a hunch that you or any of your loved ones is suffering from hearing loss, it is important that you get it diagnosed. Some of the common symptoms of hearing loss will be:
- Hearing difficulties while talking to someone over the phone
- Straining to hear conversations with family members or friends in household situations
- People usually need to repeat what they talk to you with a louder voice
- You often hear complaints that you keep the TV too loud.
- In crowded situations, such as family gatherings or a restaurant, you have problems listening to people.
Although this condition tends to affect senior citizens, an increasing trend shows younger people i.e. people mostly in their 40 and 50s and even younger than that suffer from this condition.
How to deal with hearing loss?
Some of the options to deal with hearing loss are mentioned below.
- Once diagnosed with hearing problems, change your ways of communication: If you or your loved ones have been diagnosed with hearing problems, it is important that both adjust your ways to deal with the problem. Rather than getting angry at the other for not being able to communicate effectively, develop and strategize ways to make communication less problematic and erratic.
- Cochlear implants: This is a newer technology, which has gained popularity in the past decade or so. These are directly implanted into the inner ear and are designed to bypass the damaged areas of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve. These have become very popular, although, are not a replacement of natural hearing. It is only prescribed for people who have severe hearing loss or are deaf.
- Hearing aids: Although selecting a hearing aid is difficult as the patient needs to be comfortable, once selected it is one of the best solutions for the hearing impaired. The functionality of these devices can be extended with the hearing assistive technology or HAT devices that can focus the audio waves depending on the situations and give a more tailored approach for every individual's needs. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Ent specialist.